Methodists fear split over same-sex m...

Methodists fear split over same-sex marriage

There are 15 comments on the News Herald story from Jun 8, 2014, titled Methodists fear split over same-sex marriage. In it, News Herald reports that:

But in recent weeks, Hill and other United Methodist pastors are hearing more challenging conversations re-igniting heated passions over the future of his denomination.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Herald.

Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Jun 8, 2014
The Methodists have an easy way forward
.
Decades ago they approved 11 different Bibles; one of which does not condemn gay people
.
Use IT ;o)
The Dreadful Few

Amherst, MA

#2 Jun 8, 2014
Rainbow Kid wrote:
The Methodists have an easy way forward
.
Decades ago they approved 11 different Bibles; one of which does not condemn gay people
.
Use IT ;o)
Regardless of party, America continues to be Israels little Mideast war assisting puppet. I hope that makes you happy. You are no different that a warmongering GWB. Evangelical money hungry Christians have one of two things in common with many gays. And that is they hate each other, but will get on their knees for Israel.
How pathetic, and dangerous to the world.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#3 Jun 8, 2014
The Dreadful Few wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless of party, America continues to be Israels little Mideast war assisting puppet. I hope that makes you happy. You are no different that a warmongering GWB. Evangelical money hungry Christians have one of two things in common with many gays. And that is they hate each other, but will get on their knees for Israel.
How pathetic, and dangerous to the world.
The only time I think of Israel is when you mention it
.
Israel recognizes gay marriages performed elsewhere; so they're OK by me ;o)
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#4 Jun 8, 2014
*Ahem* TWENTY states (thanks, Wisconsin), plus eleven more still going through the appeals process, where we will win. This is the same crap every christian cult went through when trying to decide if it was okay for different races or ethnicities to marry each other. And, though there were fewer cults in the 1800s, they experienced the same religious angst over slavery, since their Bible said slavery was okay, and sometimes even mandatory.

Since religion is a made up thing anyway, it should be easy enough for their leaders to say that their god has spoken to them and okayed gay marriage. Then just move on to their next Biblically-supported bigotry.

If they require guidance on how this works, they need look no further than the Mormons. When they needed to drop their support of polygamy in order for Utah to gain statehood, their leader went into a room, where "god" spoke directly to him, and emerged with the announcement that god had changed his mind about polygamy and that it was now taboo.

The same thing happened in 1978 when they found themselves behind the curve on race relations. A trip to the room, a chat with god, and they announced that god had changed his mind about Blacks and they were now okay and could become embers of the church.

If none of this were historical fact, and I tried to include these activities as part of one of my novels, my publisher would laugh me out of his office. But them's the facts, folks.
Magic Upants in a Bunch

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Jun 8, 2014
The Dreadful Few wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless of party, America continues to be Israels little Mideast war assisting puppet. I hope that makes you happy. You are no different that a warmongering GWB. Evangelical money hungry Christians have one of two things in common with many gays. And that is they hate each other, but will get on their knees for Israel.
How pathetic, and dangerous to the world.
Lawroosh derived, unhinged rhetorical technique and also rhetoric.

Sick. Really annoying, bizarro spam.
The Dreadful Few

Amherst, MA

#6 Jun 8, 2014
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
The only time I think of Israel is when you mention it
.
Israel recognizes gay marriages performed elsewhere; so they're OK by me ;o)
They're terrorists that aren't supposed to be in possession of nuclear weapons. They also have consistently built on land in complete violation of international law. As I said, I see little difference in left or right war mongers. That includes you, it's just you are an even bigger liar and depraved loon.
The Dreadful Few

Amherst, MA

#7 Jun 8, 2014
The Dreadful Few wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless of party, America continues to be Israels little Mideast war assisting puppet. I hope that makes you happy. You are no different that a warmongering GWB. Evangelical money hungry Christians have one of two things in common with many gays. And that is they hate each other, but will get on their knees for Israel.
How pathetic, and dangerous to the world.
Americans are ignorant while the others are liars to say and actually believe their will be peace anywhere in the world, and certainly not in the Mideast. Ever, for peace is not profitable.

“Common sense prevails.”

Since: Mar 14

3rd rock from the sun.

#8 Jun 8, 2014
The Dreadful Few wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless of party, America continues to be Israels little Mideast war assisting puppet. I hope that makes you happy. You are no different that a warmongering GWB. Evangelical money hungry Christians have one of two things in common with many gays. And that is they hate each other, but will get on their knees for Israel.
How pathetic, and dangerous to the world.
A story about Methodists relates to Isreal in your mind??? I think you just had a brain fart.
The Dreadful Few

Amherst, MA

#9 Jun 8, 2014
DebraE wrote:
<quoted text>
A story about Methodists relates to Isreal in your mind??? I think you just had a brain fart.
My reply was to post 1 you dolt! Our special relationship with Israel is a foreign AND domestic policy disaster. Instead of trying to gtfo of the region gays just wish to focus on themselves.
Dig? Of course not. You're selfish.
Magic Upants in a Bunch

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Jun 8, 2014
DebraE wrote:
<quoted text>
A story about Methodists relates to Isreal in your mind??? I think you just had a brain fart.
Older, Midwestern Methodists go home to bed very early on Friday evenings...?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#11 Jun 8, 2014
The Dreadful Few wrote:
<quoted text>
My reply was to post 1 you dolt! Our special relationship with Israel is a foreign AND domestic policy disaster. Instead of trying to gtfo of the region gays just wish to focus on themselves.
Dig? Of course not. You're selfish.
As you say; the straight people lost control and it is looking bleak
.
So now that the GAYS have landed
.
We are here to bring peace on earth using the most powerful weapon mankind has ever seen
.
LOVE
.
We have planted the seeds of LOVE In the troubled lands of the east
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4142/4760275339...
Speedieg

Atlanta, GA

#12 Jun 8, 2014
My partner and I married in Connecticut in October last year a civil service, when we visited our home town at Christmas the Methodist church advised us we were not welcome at church services. We had been going there all our lives.

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#13 Jun 8, 2014
Sir Andrew wrote:
*Ahem* TWENTY states (thanks, Wisconsin), plus eleven more still going through the appeals process, where we will win. This is the same crap every christian cult went through when trying to decide if it was okay for different races or ethnicities to marry each other. And, though there were fewer cults in the 1800s, they experienced the same religious angst over slavery, since their Bible said slavery was okay, and sometimes even mandatory.
Since religion is a made up thing anyway, it should be easy enough for their leaders to say that their god has spoken to them and okayed gay marriage. Then just move on to their next Biblically-supported bigotry.
If they require guidance on how this works, they need look no further than the Mormons. When they needed to drop their support of polygamy in order for Utah to gain statehood, their leader went into a room, where "god" spoke directly to him, and emerged with the announcement that god had changed his mind about polygamy and that it was now taboo.
The same thing happened in 1978 when they found themselves behind the curve on race relations. A trip to the room, a chat with god, and they announced that god had changed his mind about Blacks and they were now okay and could become embers of the church.
If none of this were historical fact, and I tried to include these activities as part of one of my novels, my publisher would laugh me out of his office. But them's the facts, folks.
Great post till you got to the "and could become embers". I wasted a perfectly good mouthful of some old Scotch, and had no one to clean up the mess with me. As if the poor negroes hadn't seen too much of that already.

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#14 Jun 8, 2014
Speedieg wrote:
My partner and I married in Connecticut in October last year a civil service, when we visited our home town at Christmas the Methodist church advised us we were not welcome at church services. We had been going there all our lives.
That is really, really SICK. And they call themselves Christian!

“Common sense prevails.”

Since: Mar 14

3rd rock from the sun.

#15 Jun 10, 2014
The Dreadful Few wrote:
<quoted text>
My reply was to post 1 you dolt! Our special relationship with Israel is a foreign AND domestic policy disaster. Instead of trying to gtfo of the region gays just wish to focus on themselves.
Dig? Of course not. You're selfish.
Post 1 had absolutely nothing to say about Isreal, your brain is still flatulent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Study: 12,000 acts of condomless gay sex, 0 HIV... 3 hr cpeter1313 43
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 4 hr cpeter1313 7,067
News Trump bans transgender people from military 4 hr The Troll Stopper 49
News Trump's transgender troops ban divides veterans... 4 hr WasteWater 47
News LGBT outrage over Trump ban on transgender mili... 4 hr The Troll Stopper 15
News Connecticut LGBT Advocate Says Military's Trans... 4 hr Pinky 5
News The Latest: Duckworth says transgender ban disc... 5 hr Marcavage s Trick 50
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 hr TomInElPaso 52,238
News 12-year-old girl comes out to her Mormon congre... 8 hr The Troll Stopper 530
More from around the web