Grandma's "Best Friend" Was More Than...

Grandma's "Best Friend" Was More Than Just A Friend

There are 24 comments on the www.slate.com story from Apr 2, 2013, titled Grandma's "Best Friend" Was More Than Just A Friend. In it, www.slate.com reports that:

Dear Prudence: My grandmother passed away recently, and as my mother and I were cleaning out her house I came across a box of photos, letters, and other mementos. I haven't shown my discovery to anyone because it's a shocking revelation that would forever change the way my (very conservative) mom, aunts, and uncles remember their mom. It turns out that "Maude," who also passed on a few years ago, was much more to grandma than a close friend. Although everyone in the family knew that they were childhood friends, we had no idea that they were lovers. It seems they both got married to conceal their true sexuality and lived their secret double life together for over 50 years. It makes me so sad that Grandma felt she had to live that way pretty much her entire life. And it also hurts that much more whenever I hear my mom, aunts, and uncles using homophobic slurs at family gatherings. Should I ever let them know what I found?

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.slate.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#27 Apr 4, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully all your dead gay and lesbian relatives and ancestors (and don't kid yourself, you have some) will come to you by night and haunt you. Maybe they can curse you from beyond the grave too.
You've watched too many episodes of "Long Island Medium".

(And yes, I'm from Long Island, recently arrived in Arizona about a year ago, and the house I owned and lived in for 25 years on Long Island had ghosts who would appear from time to time.)

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#29 Apr 9, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that your post makes too much sense for most people to agree with.
that happens a lot.
SLIF

Georgetown, Canada

#30 Apr 10, 2013
And they also went trough,double the menopause together.Ouch!
SLIF

Georgetown, Canada

#31 Apr 10, 2013
I ment through.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Josh Duggar for President in 2016. 4 min Gremlin 3
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 6 min Respect7l 1,420
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 6 min Frankie Rizzo 8,765
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 13 min DebraE 2,933
News Standoff over gay marriage licenses wears on, d... 24 min my opinion 28
News Reluctant Kentucky clerk gets time for gay marr... 28 min Gremlin 6
News Kentucky clerk seeks Supreme Court help to deny... 30 min Rainbow Kid News 4
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 59 min Respect7l 25,623
News 4 GOP candidates sign anti-gay marriage pledge 1 hr LeDuped 197
News Court: Baker who refused gay wedding cake can't... 2 hr DaveinMass 1,047
More from around the web