Sentencing set in Vt. same-sex custod...

Sentencing set in Vt. same-sex custody dispute

There are 67 comments on the WCAX-TV Burlington story from Nov 18, 2012, titled Sentencing set in Vt. same-sex custody dispute. In it, WCAX-TV Burlington reports that:

A sentencing date has been set in a Vermont court for a Mennonite pastor convicted of helping a woman and her daughter flee the U.S. rather than allow the girl to have regular visits with the woman's former lesbian partner.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCAX-TV Burlington.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#43 Nov 20, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
Anyone can choose to break a law, but doing so also means you must accept the punishment. Abetting the kidnapping of a child is a heinous crime; this guy should go to jail for a very long time.
<quoted text>
What if you don't get caught? Then what?

- just saying ;)

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#44 Nov 20, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
What if you don't get caught? Then what?
- just saying ;)
a LOT of criminals don't get caught. I read that contrary to what's portrayed on tv cop shows, the percentage of homicides nationwide that are solved is only two-thirds. Those are pretty good odds for someone carefully planning a murder.

Abnd we frequently hear about serial murderers and how many crimes they committed before they were apprehended. What about those cases where the serial murderer is NOT apprehended ? I believe it's more than most people would think.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#45 Nov 20, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
a LOT of criminals don't get caught. I read that contrary to what's portrayed on tv cop shows, the percentage of homicides nationwide that are solved is only two-thirds. Those are pretty good odds for someone carefully planning a murder.
Abnd we frequently hear about serial murderers and how many crimes they committed before they were apprehended. What about those cases where the serial murderer is NOT apprehended ? I believe it's more than most people would think.
True. They only have resources to solve high profile cases. Go to any police precinct and you will see all the dead Jane Does on the wall.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#46 Nov 20, 2012
If you are going to stand on the integrity of your beliefs, then you should not hide your deeds. If one hides what one does, one has no honor or moral basis. Saying one did it but should not be punished is the stuff of constitutional challenges, not clear-cut criminal acts.

Lots of scoundrels get away, but I was referring to those who get caught.
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
What if you don't get caught? Then what?
- just saying ;)

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#47 Nov 21, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
If you are going to stand on the integrity of your beliefs, then you should not hide your deeds. If one hides what one does, one has no honor or moral basis. Saying one did it but should not be punished is the stuff of constitutional challenges, not clear-cut criminal acts.
Lots of scoundrels get away, but I was referring to those who get caught.
<quoted text>
Most people get caught because someone talked. Most of us want to tell someone or get bragging rights. That's what the novel, Crime and Punishment illustrated.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#48 Nov 21, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Most people get caught because someone talked. Most of us want to tell someone or get bragging rights. That's what the novel, Crime and Punishment illustrated.
And most people get caught, because when questioned by the police, they talk to them, instead of remaining silent and not saying ANYTHING about ANYTHING, which is their right.

Can you imagine a cop or lawyer tv show (L & O and it's derivitives come to mind) where the chief suspect or suspects remain silent and won't talk to the police or ADA's ?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#49 Nov 21, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
And most people get caught, because when questioned by the police, they talk to them, instead of remaining silent and not saying ANYTHING about ANYTHING, which is their right.
Can you imagine a cop or lawyer tv show (L & O and it's derivitives come to mind) where the chief suspect or suspects remain silent and won't talk to the police or ADA's ?
They think they can talk the cops out of it, which is very stupid. The best answer is I need a lawyer, I'm not saying anything.

I've seen that on CSI. They all go, "He layered up." Then they go off trying to prove the case using science and technology. One of the lines is, the crimial always leaves something behind. lol

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#50 Nov 21, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps a better analogy would be a civil rights march, in any country, because of race, religion, sexual orientation, or whatever.
Frequently a government will tell marchers that they are violating one or more laws by marching in the streets, and arrest them. The GREAT American, Martin Luther King, Jr. comes to mind. Should he and his followers NOT have marched for civil rights merely because doing so was violating some local law ? OF COURSE NOT !
My point is that although the bible commands you to obey the civil law, doing so is not always the moral course of action. But deciding which laws to follow and which laws not to follow is not always a clear case, and honest people can differ on which laws should be followed and which laws should not be followed.
I'm not arguing the pastor was in the right here. I believe clearly he wasn't. But some people are going to have a different opinion on that.
One of the BEST pieces of writing you've contributed on these boards.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#51 Nov 21, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps a better analogy would be a civil rights march, in any country, because of race, religion, sexual orientation, or whatever.
Frequently a government will tell marchers that they are violating one or more laws by marching in the streets, and arrest them. The GREAT American, Martin Luther King, Jr. comes to mind. Should he and his followers NOT have marched for civil rights merely because doing so was violating some local law ? OF COURSE NOT !
My point is that although the bible commands you to obey the civil law, doing so is not always the moral course of action. But deciding which laws to follow and which laws not to follow is not always a clear case, and honest people can differ on which laws should be followed and which laws should not be followed.
I'm not arguing the pastor was in the right here. I believe clearly he wasn't. But some people are going to have a different opinion on that.
Worth repeating. This is really good stuff Foxy.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#52 Nov 21, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
They think they can talk the cops out of it, which is very stupid. The best answer is I need a lawyer, I'm not saying anything.
I've seen that on CSI. They all go, "He layered up." Then they go off trying to prove the case using science and technology. One of the lines is, the crimial always leaves something behind. lol
I never do.

:)

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#53 Nov 21, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I never do.
:)
I alwasys try to avoid getting caught in the first place. lol

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#54 Nov 21, 2012
“1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them.”

- Kurt Vonnegut

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#55 Nov 21, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
“1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them.”
- Kurt Vonnegut
The Vikings never did that !

:)

<s>

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#56 Nov 21, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
The Vikings never did that !
:)
<s>
The Vikings were the first Europeans to visit America. Why don't we have a Viking Day?

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#57 Nov 21, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
The Vikings were the first Europeans to visit America. Why don't we have a Viking Day?
There IS a national so-called Viking Discovery Day and it's called "Lief Erikson Day" and is celebrated each October 9th.(And there is no evidence whatsoever that they ever wore those hats with the 2 big horns on them like you see Brunhilda always wearing in that opera).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson_Day

And I was making a joke because The Vikings WERE a terror in their time, because they were murderous pirates who sacked and plundered far and wide. They invaded and sacked British towns a number of time, as well as sailing as far as the rivers of what we now call "Russia".

They wer not all peaceful explorers and shepherds.

Lief Erikson's father, "Erik The Red" was not called that because he had red hair, but rather because he was convited of the murder of a neighbor, and banished from society. These were not people that Martin luther generally would have approved of.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#58 Nov 21, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
The Vikings were the first Europeans to visit America. Why don't we have a Viking Day?
Uh ... they pissed off the locals who massacred them, leaving only trace archaeological remnants to prove that they ever came. Their later European relatives were far more intrusive.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#59 Nov 21, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
There IS a national so-called Viking Discovery Day and it's called "Lief Erikson Day" and is celebrated each October 9th.(And there is no evidence whatsoever that they ever wore those hats with the 2 big horns on them like you see Brunhilda always wearing in that opera).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson_Day
And I was making a joke because The Vikings WERE a terror in their time, because they were murderous pirates who sacked and plundered far and wide. They invaded and sacked British towns a number of time, as well as sailing as far as the rivers of what we now call "Russia".
They wer not all peaceful explorers and shepherds.
Lief Erikson's father, "Erik The Red" was not called that because he had red hair, but rather because he was convited of the murder of a neighbor, and banished from society. These were not people that Martin luther generally would have approved of.
A major eruption on Iceland caused sever winters and almost no summers for a number of years in the subarctic latitudes. This is the cause of the "Viking Invasions". It was "a push" due to privation.

The Kievan Rus were another matter entirely. Having traded with Constantinople for centuries before, and holding a near monopoly on all trade to the North and East of the Black Sea region, they were unaffected by problems of their Scandinavian cousins.

But you know this. Right?

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#60 Nov 22, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
A major eruption on Iceland caused sever winters and almost no summers for a number of years in the subarctic latitudes. This is the cause of the "Viking Invasions". It was "a push" due to privation.
The Kievan Rus were another matter entirely. Having traded with Constantinople for centuries before, and holding a near monopoly on all trade to the North and East of the Black Sea region, they were unaffected by problems of their Scandinavian cousins.
But you know this. Right?
My point was that there is a "Leif Erison Day", which commerorates the Viking's "discovering" America, and it has existed legally for more than 80 years.

I have always thought thta Colubmbus Day was stupid since people have known about the Vikings being here first for a very long time.

And Columbus NEVER set foot on land that would become the United States, nor did he EVER set foot on the North American continent. We don't even know what nationality he was. Most people believe he was Italian, but that is not certain. Nor do we know where he was buried.

Also, Columbus always maintained until his detah that he had reached Asia. There is good reason to believe the he KNEW that he did not reach Asia, and that he KNOWINGLY LIED about it. The reason is this:

Columbus had a well-deserved reputation for being an excellent navigator. Since the size of the Earth was determined accurately by Erotosthenes in 325 BC, learned people, particularly sailors such as Columbus and his conetmporaries, must have know this, and therefore knew what distance one travelled per degree of latitude or longitude.

Columbus was shipwrecked on an island in the Carribbean for awhile and there came a time when the natives refused to give Columbus and his men any more food. They faced certain starvation if the natives continued to refuse to provide them with food. Columbus told the natives that "his God" was very angry that they would not give him and his men food, and that "his God" would show his displeasure by "taking away the moon". Columbus knew that very soon a lunar eclipse would be visible from his position. He would NOT have been able to know this and correctly predict this UNLESS he knew his position, which was many thousands of miles east of Asia. By his own correct predicition of a lunar eclipse, Columbus PROVED he knew exactly at what point on the Earth he was, which he knew wasn't anywheres near Asia.

He lied.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#61 Nov 22, 2012
Talk about a thread that has gone way off topic........lol!!!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and leave topix today!!!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#62 Nov 22, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
Talk about a thread that has gone way off topic........lol!!!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving and leave topix today!!!
My car broke down two days ago, and now I'm stuck at home in the middle of the desert.:(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 11 min EdmondWA 390
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 22 min Inquisitor 722
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 29 min Imprtnrd 5,034
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 46 min June VanDerMark 12,713
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 52 min EdmondWA 44,237
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr Brenda 24,138
News Kylie Minogue and husband Joshua Sasse refuse t... 12 hr Rosa_Winkel 2
More from around the web