Nationwide Protest of Prop. 8 Nov. 15th

Nov 9, 2008 | Posted by: Paulathesurfmom | Full story: lezgetreal.com

Join the Impact is organizing a protest of Prop 8 nationwide. According to the site the reason for this concept is We canít wait for any large scale organization to get the word out for us. We have 1 week to put together a NATIONAL PROTEST and start a mobilized movement for equality! When we all come together as one voice on November 15th, we will show the nation that we can do more than just talk, we can act! We wonít solve everything in one protest, but we will fuel the fire to a conversation that can not be silenced! If we stop talking about equality for all, then we will lose the battle. If we allow others to stop talking about it, then we will lose. Hate is not the lack of love, itís the fear of that which we do not know. This protest along with many others gives us the chance to build on the conversation and educate the masses. Itís very simple: Infiltrate, Educate, and STOP HATE!

Comments
61 - 80 of 135 Comments Last updated Nov 30, 2008
SteveMD2

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Judged:

Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
have many bans have been voted in from the differnt states??? Exactly. How many have voted to allow gay marriage?? Oh wait its only judges that ever do that. Our government is for the people by the people. To throw out the voice of the people is to invite rebellion.
Just like in the deep south, where the great majority of people used physical and emotional terror to keep blacks subjugated for a hundred years after the civil war. Incidentally, this was encouraged by the same churches / mentality that drove prop 8. And the result is now that

we have the election of Barack Obama to the Presidency, despite the almost solid deep south of George W Bush, the worst criminal in a hundred years to inhabit the White house.

A sociopath / narcicistic man who cares only for himself and the power that comes from feeding the hatreds and bigotry of the repub party base. While he bankrupts our nation, and loses the war on terrorism, while the blood of 4000+ American soldiers who died in his Iraq war of lies coats his hands.

But his legacy will live on - the word 'Bush' will become the embodiment of all the profanity in our language. Well deserved.

And to Tony, Yob Tvoyo Maht.(hint - it is russian and one word actually bears a resemblance to the same word in English.)

“Let a smile be your umbrella!”

Since: Aug 07

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Judged:

Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
Afraid?? Hardly. My side of the issue seems to be winning with ease.
With ease? I think not.

In the first, historic vote of California citizens to place discrimination in their state Constitution, Prop 22, passed by 61.4% Prop 8 passed by 52.3%- a bare squeak past the 52% needed to pass. 61.4% in 2000. 52.3% in 2008. The numbers speak for themselves. Support for the ban on same sex marriage is eroding in California.

It's only a matter of time. Gloat now - you've earned (read paid for) it. But the day of true equality is now visible on the horizon. It will dawn soon.

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Judged:

George Funk wrote:
<quoted text>
So, I guess my three kids are strong proof I'm not gay?
My two kids and four grandkids kinda "proof" me too... buwahahahahahahahah

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

SteveMD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
But his legacy will live on - the word 'Bush' will become the embodiment of all the profanity in our language. Well deserved.
Just like "John" became the common word for the toilet after King John of England, the one who usurped King Richard's power while he was away fighting in the crusades.
Jordan San Francisco

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Judged:

"Never Stop" protesting,until we are treated equally in this country.

“We Are One”

Since: Aug 08

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Judged:

Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
No concrete evidence of that. However his wife and children are strong proof he wasnt gay.
Hmmmmm I have an ex husband and 3 beautiful children, 7 grandchildren and I just got married to my beautiful wife....
having a spouse and children doesn't prove anything.
I am and have been a lesbian for 30 years
Simply the pressure from you str8 people back in the 70's and fear of getting killed made a lot of us get married. Didn't take me long to get out of that sham....

“Homosapien ”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Judged:

Hatred lost 9 percentage points this time around (compared to last), and the 18 to 29 year olds voted 63% against it. It's just a matter of time. Keep on fighting and keep coming out.
badbackbill

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

Paulathesurfmom wrote:
Oh Ricky I think I misunderstood what you were saying... I am making you mad and you want to come to a rally the 15th and attack gays....
I am inciting you...
Rick...I don't think that would be a very good idea if you did that...
I do, just keep it up Paula, it's about time we stopped ending up under buses or hanging on a fence, and I doubt if they will come out in the daylight anyway, without their sheets that is.....
Ashamed to be an Arkie

Choudrant, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

Back in June 2007, Elizabeth Edwards declared support for same sex marriage. At http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/06/... the following comment was made:

Scott, Columbus, Ohio June 26th, 2007 5:56 pm ET

In response to Amy of TN's mentioning that gays "wouldn't give a flip" about this "if the benefits of legal marriage were taken out of the equation." UmmmÖ that IS the equation. The WHOLE equation. That is the ONLY thing this issue is about. It's NOT about religion. It's NOT about the church. It's NOT about a word. It IS about tax benefits, inheritance rights, health care rights, insurance rights, custody rights and all the other automatic privileges that are awarded married couples. It's the fact that a man and a woman who barely know each other (drunken weekend in Vegas, anyone?) can get married and instantly attain all of these rights, while a gay or lesbian couple who have been together and committed for 10, 15, 20 or more years cannot!! People really need to understand what this issue is actually about!

How about this? Let's TAKE AWAY all the above listed rights and privileges from straight couples. Problem solved!! Now we're all equal and no one has to be upset that the WORD "marriage" is being defiled.(That's all it is, folks, just a word!)

Of course, I'm being sarcastic with that comment (just so nobody thinks I'm really advocating that as a position.) But, it gives you something to think about. Would the anti-gay marriage activists still be singing the same tune if that were their only option? The "haves" are quick to attack the "have nots" until they are faced with the possibility of being "have nots" themselves.

He may have been sarcastic, but I am liking that idea. If we can't get married, neither can they-- everyone can be equal and settle for civil unions!

“Equality for all!”

Since: Jul 08

Bedford, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you dont understand the situation. If a ban can pass in California, home to San Francisco, then you have no safe haven. Nearly every state bans it and look at how easily Arizona and Florida passed bans.
Im so sick of the lame ass arguments that tie in gay rights with racial rights. You're not fooling anyone. Oh and the day a gay president takes office will be a day when the United States will be but words in history books.
You know, Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.'s wife, called for equality for GLBT people, saying her husband wanted equality and justice for all peoples, not just blacks.

And why would the day a gay person is elected be detrimental for the country? Sure, if his/her policies were bad, the country would go down a little, but orientation has nothing to do with the ability to lead...
born that way

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

Nana to Four wrote:
<quoted text>Just like "John" became the common word for the toilet after King John of England, the one who usurped King Richard's power while he was away fighting in the crusades.
Excuse me a moment, I have to go drop a bush in the john.

“STFU”

Since: May 07

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
You lost, deal with it. Or better yet, if you can't deal with our system of government, leave.
We do have to leave. You cannot vote us out of existence, you haven't taken away our 1st Amendment rights, yet. We're not going away, so you might as well get used to us. Deal with it.

“STFU”

Since: May 07

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

My last post should read "We DON'T have to leave." :-)

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

In another 20 years, equality will be a matter of law, and mainstream Americans will scarcely remember why it was ever such a big issue.
But what about now? What about the 11,000+ married couples in California who have been scalded by an unconstitutional referendum on their basic rights?
What about the thousands of adoptive parents who have been attacked by a tyrannical majority to strip them of their parental rights?
What about the kids themselves who are denied a loving home because of this reprehensible and un-American bias?
Let's look to history for a perspective on what is about to happen. In 1969, when LGBT New Yorkers were being unfairly targeted by the city police, it took several days of violent riots and protests to get attention in the halls of power and influence.
These days, every June, we throw a big party. In June of 1969, we had to throw bricks.
I don't advocate violence. I believe that the pen is mightier than the sword. But I also believe that the pen is far mightier when you are not afraid to wield the sword.
On December 1st 1955, Rosa Parks got on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama and refused to give up her seat to a white passenger (as she was legally required to do.) In case you didn't know, this was a planned protest. She was arrested, and the story made international headlines.
We're going to need as much creativity as the black civil rights movement utilized. Yes, we march with picket signs. Yes, we boycott anti-gay institutions. But to keep this issue on the front burner, and to keep the momentum bulding, we need to do justice to our moral convictions and our civic duty to the LGBT community... by DISOBEYING UNJUST LAWS.
And we must do this in the form of creative demonstrations which will connect to the hearts and minds of the greater society in which we live. We need to illuminate the injustices and the discrimination.
To do this, we must accept that there will be losses, as there are in any such conflict. Seeing Prop 8 pass is one such loss. But a greater commitment will be needed. People will need to be willing to face potential violence and even death in service to the cause. We'll have to risk going to jail. We'll have to risk unfortunate harm to those who would violently oppose us.
I'd prefer an unwavering commitment to non-violence. But Gandhi-style non-violent protest gains no ground when your cause is as severely outnumbered as ours is. Many today see the injustices, and are willing to vote to change things. But how many of those would be willing to fight in the streets if that is wht is required.
Let this be a warning to all those who would make the mistake of trying to oppress LGBT people and our right to equal protection under the law: we would much rather settle this peacefully.
But we will not settle for anything less than full equality. If opposed, we will fight. If we are knocked down, we will get up and continue fighting. We will not seek violent confrontation, but if it is thrist upon us, we will defend ourselves with any amount of force necessary.
Why?
Why must this be so? Because the alternative is to live our lives as second-class citizens, to have none of the rights that heterosexuals so often take for granted. If you wouldn't accept someone else doing that to you, then you can't expect us to accept either. Ever.
So for all those married couples who are now disenfranchised, for all the parents and adoptive parents whose rights are under assault, and for the children---both the children of LGBT households, and the children who will one day face that awesome and terrifying moment when they feel compelled to say "Mom, Dad, I'm gay," let us not wait 20 years. Let's press the fight, and do it now, if we can.(Yes We Can!)
Let our rallying cry ring across the mountains and the plains, let it shake the walls of legislatures in every state in our union:
"EQUALITY NOW!"
"EQUALITY NOW!"
"EQUALITY NOW!"

“Created Equal”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

I'd prefer an unwavering commitment to non-violence. But Gandhi-style non-violent protest gains no ground when your cause is as severely outnumbered as ours is. Many today see the injustices, and are willing to vote to change things. But how many of those would be willing to fight in the streets if that is wht is required.
Let this be a warning to all those who would make the mistake of trying to oppress LGBT people and our right to equal protection under the law: we would much rather settle this peacefully.

But we will not settle for anything less than full equality. If opposed, we will fight. If we are knocked down, we will get up and continue fighting. We will not seek violent confrontation, but if it is thrist upon us, we will defend ourselves with any amount of force necessary.

Why?

Why must this be so? Because the alternative is to live our lives as second-class citizens, to have none of the rights that heterosexuals so often take for granted. If you wouldn't accept someone else doing that to you, then you can't expect us to accept either. Ever.

So for all those married couples who are now disenfranchised, for all the parents and adoptive parents whose rights are under assault, and for the children---both the children of LGBT households, and the children who will one day face that awesome and terrifying moment when they feel compelled to say "Mom, Dad, I'm gay," let us not wait 20 years. Let's press the fight, and do it now, if we can.(Yes We Can!)

Let our rallying cry ring across the mountains and the plains, let it shake the walls of legislatures in every state in our union:

EQUALITY NOW!
EQUALITY NOW!
EQUALITY NOW!

Since: May 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

ScottyMatic wrote:
Why?
EQUALITY NOW!
EQUALITY NOW!
EQUALITY NOW!
I would fight in the street if that is what it takes....

Is that what is going to take?

“Created Equal”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

Paulathesurfmom wrote:
<quoted text>
I would fight in the street if that is what it takes....
Is that what is going to take?
Well, Paula... first let me apologize for the re-post of the second half of my post. For some reason, on long posts, the forum takes forever to update, and I thought the original post didn't go through. Then, when I re-posted it, I cut off the first half.

To address your question--let's look at history.

What did it take to end racial segregation in schools? There were many demonstrations, many arrests, many injuries, some deaths, the national guard was called-out, and nobody was sure on any given day, when they went to a demonstration, whether or not they would be shot, or caught in the middle of a riot. Notice that all of this was AFTER school segregation had already been written into federal law.

It took a World War to stop the advance of fascism.

What will it take? Nobody really knows. But one thing is certain: It will take the guts to be willing to make supreme sacrifices in support of the cause. We're unfortunately past the point where a pride parade is going to make any difference. We're past believing that walking up and down in front of a building holding a signboard is all tht will be required. We're going to have to engage the issue at a higher level, and on the broadest possible public stage--the national press.

Here's one idea: The partner of a hospitalized LGBT person, knowing they will be refused visitation in the hospital, can call their local TV station and have a camera crew accompany them when they go to ask to visit their loved one. either the hospital will back down and let them in, or the footage will hit the major networks by the evening news.

An LGBT family in California which does not yet have the benefit of a marriage license can take a film crew with them when they go to the courthouse to ask for one, knowing they will be refused.

Every attack of prejudice must be reported. Every incidence of discrimination must be reported. Every demonstration needs an official head-count. Every LGBT person in America needs--at the very least--to email their state and federal legislators regarding EVERY piece of legislation affecting the LGBT community.

Imagine the news coverage if 1000 activists staged a naked sit-in to block the driveway of the Westboro Baptist Church!(the local cops do not have the capacity to arrest 1000 people!)

Imagine the news coverage if we organized a national day to memorialize all those who have made sacrifices in our struggle, and the vast majority of LGBT people, instead of showing-up at work, stood in front of their local courthouse reciting the pledge of allegiance... with particular emphasis on the "Liberty and Justice for All."

Foremost, imagine if all those people who live in the closet got down to the business of coming out to their families, friends, and co-workers. coming out is absolutely key. And beyond that, it just takes a little planning and creativity.

Why do we only come together and get serious about this stuff when the evangelical far-right manages to get an anti-gay proposition on the ballot?

From now on, we need to remember that this fight is EVERY DAY OF OUR LIVES until there really is liberty and justice for all.
west coast heathin

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, racial equality is a whole differnt matter. How many states now ban it?? Oh and whats the federal law on the matter?? I recall it only reconizes marriage as being between a man and a woman. The voters have spoken, majority rules.
Actually, it's pretty much the same thing as when interratial marriage was illegal. Some people may say that homosexuals have the same rights as straight people because they can get married too, just not to someone of the same sex. But they are incorrect.

Now, if we look at this logically, it IS the same thing. Black people and white people were not allowed to get married to each other according to the law. But each could marry within their own race. Now, the argument would've been...Both parties are being denied EQUALLY but EQUALLY both could technically get married. So neither has any more rights than the other.

This was deemed a CIVIL RIGHTS matter and changed to exclude race.(we DO NOT vote on civil rights matters).

I have to ask every religious person who uses the bible to reason that homosexual people should not be allowed to get married by the state....God HATES gays just as God HATES divorce, so if you're really following your religion 100% and not just using it for your own convenience then you have to agree that divorce should be outlawed as well.

If you're okay with voting on civil rights matters, what is the next civil right you'd like to change to reflect YOUR religion?

“Created Equal”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

Jordan San Francisco wrote:
"Never Stop" protesting,until we are treated equally in this country.
Jordan, you see it clearly. Bravo!

There are only two likely outcomes for the future; and there is no telling which way it will go.

I'd characterize those two outcomes as follows...

Possibility number one: Society continues it's slow and difficult progress, and in 100 years, homosexuality and religious judgementalism will have reversed roles. LGBT people will not be considered as any better or worse than heterosexuals, but evangelism will be considered unspeakably rude and disgusting.

Possibility number two: Religious pretentiousness usurps all organized reason and supplants democracy, leading to social collapse, despotism, corruption, exploitation, the return of slavery, and absolute "majority rule" with no hint of unalienable human rights. In short, the fall of civilization and a new dark ages that rival the worst times in human history.

I wish I knew whether good or evil would prevail.

But as Edmund Burke said, the only thing necessary for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.

Never stop standing up for truth. Always confront distortion and lies. Do not sit by and let prejudice and discrimination worm it's way into the next generation.

The future can be better, if we can overcome our own comfort and complacency.
Keith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
You lost, deal with it. Or better yet, if you can't deal with our system of government, leave.
Excuse me, but "our system of government" provides the right to protest right in the pieces of paper that created the country.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••