In tolerant San Francisco, Proposition 8 backer to head Catholic Church

Sep 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Bellingham Herald

Next week, a key player in the passage of Proposition 8 - a man who has decried the "contraceptive mentality" of modern life - will become the leader of the Catholic Church here in the city that thrust same-sex marriage onto the national stage, the birthplace of the Summer of Love.

Comments
141 - 160 of 160 Comments Last updated Oct 12, 2012
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Used to belong to both Civil War groups, and a Revolutionary regiment as well ...
There are some Rev War re-enactors operating in Conn, but the CW isn't as popular here; although many reginments from this state particpated, none of the battles were anywhere near our soil.

BTW, Jefferson asked Connecticut -- the "arsenal of the revolution" -- to manufacture gunpowder, but it was dangerous business; old ordnance is still buried in nearby Remington Woods.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
There are some Rev War re-enactors operating in Conn, but the CW isn't as popular here; although many reginments from this state particpated, none of the battles were anywhere near our soil.
BTW, Jefferson asked Connecticut -- the "arsenal of the revolution" -- to manufacture gunpowder, but it was dangerous business; old ordnance is still buried in nearby Remington Woods.
Making gunpowder isn't dangerous or difficult. Making the percussion caps isn't difficult either, but it IS very dangerous. Mercury fulminate is not to be taken lightly, and should not be done by the untrained.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Making gunpowder isn't dangerous or difficult ...
Try making and storing it on an industrial scale for an entire nation of confederated colonies.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Try making and storing it on an industrial scale for an entire nation of confederated colonies.
Why would I?

I'm legally allowed to have 1 lb at any one time.

I make my own percussion caps, too, but not the traditional Gold fulminate. That's almost suicidal. lol

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Orthodox, hon. Rome is only a factor later.
Got me there, good old Constantine, the 'christian' who believed he was a god and his hideous 'council'.

Thanks....

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

cpeter1313 wrote:
It MAY have been lake timsah, but it's impossible to prove one way or the other. Mistranslation is the least of the problems with that story.
Ultimately, not much of anything can be proven about either testament; there is no objective proof jesus even existed. I would have little faith in a "loving god" that allowed or even encouraged slavery. The cavalier treatment of mary is another red flag as to the beneficence of this deity.
<quoted text>
As I said, man makes god in his own imagine rather than remembering we are made in God's image.

Again, not trying to convert, do what works for you.

Yeshua is mentioned in history by Josephus but not much is said other than him having a 'cult'.

I think you'll find the treatment of most women pretty shitty but they've made a mockery of Mary (mother or wife - yeah I believe he was married).

Things can be proven, but only through experience....

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I?...
You wouldn't, but that's what Pres. Jefferson asked Conn to do, and we did it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't, but that's what Pres. Jefferson asked Conn to do, and we did it.
Ah yes. The Women's Quilting and Terrorist Society. lol

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes. The Women's Quilting and Terrorist Society ...
By presidential request, Connecticut became the arsenal of the revolution, and later the arsenal of democracy because of all its defense plants that operated during the two World Wars.

No other state can make that claim, including the one that spawned you.

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
By presidential request, Connecticut became the arsenal of the revolution, and later the arsenal of democracy because of all its defense plants that operated during the two World Wars.
No other state can make that claim, including the one that spawned you.
You really can't stay on subject.

You hate Jefferson, remember his bible?

Were you there back then and helped out?

LOL!

WHO CARES.

Try to keep your narrow mind pointed on track....

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

cpeter1313 wrote:
It MAY have been lake timsah, but it's impossible to prove one way or the other. Mistranslation is the least of the problems with that story.
Ultimately, not much of anything can be proven about either testament; there is no objective proof jesus even existed. I would have little faith in a "loving god" that allowed or even encouraged slavery. The cavalier treatment of mary is another red flag as to the beneficence of this deity.
<quoted text>
cpeter,

You try to make something out of it that it probably was never intended to be.

But, really, the whole book is a mixture of things; allegories, myths, factual historical accounts, stories told and retold, stories adapted for morality taught, exaggerations, truths, wisdoms realized, impressions, laws and purpose and tribal morals, recognitions of injustices, tales of failure and sin and accomplishment and generosity, love and forgiveness, courage and personal sacrifice. The whole gamut.

It is a tapestry of the relationship of one tribal lineage with the Source of Being, personally and collectively, developing into monotheistic realization. From there it evolves and focuses through the crucifixion of one highly advanced human being who experienced a personal union with the Infinity of Life and Being and then sought to make that experience and personal union available to all of us.

This is The Seeing.

This book is a personal guide.

Rev. Ken

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
You really can't stay on subject.
You hate Jefferson, remember his bible?...
I didn't care for his editing, but I wonder if Schori has a copy of his Bible?

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

I'm not really trying to make the bible anything at all; I think it's a bunch of garbage. The problem is that it is used as a cudgel politically and socially by those who think its every word is true--at least, the words they agree with.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
cpeter,
You try to make something out of it that it probably was never intended to be.
But, really, the whole book is a mixture of things; allegories, myths, factual historical accounts, stories told and retold, stories adapted for morality taught, exaggerations, truths, wisdoms realized, impressions, laws and purpose and tribal morals, recognitions of injustices, tales of failure and sin and accomplishment and generosity, love and forgiveness, courage and personal sacrifice. The whole gamut.
It is a tapestry of the relationship of one tribal lineage with the Source of Being, personally and collectively, developing into monotheistic realization. From there it evolves and focuses through the crucifixion of one highly advanced human being who experienced a personal union with the Infinity of Life and Being and then sought to make that experience and personal union available to all of us.
This is The Seeing.
This book is a personal guide.
Rev. Ken

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't care for his editing, but I wonder if Schori has a copy of his Bible?
His editing displayed the conflationist fallacy inherent in biblicism.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
His editing displayed the conflationist fallacy inherent in biblicism.
I have no idea what you are referring to, but Jefferson's "editing" actually removed any supernatural references.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea what you are referring to, but Jefferson's "editing" actually removed any supernatural references.
This is an entertaining discussion of the problems of conflation. Download the Mp3 (free) and give it a listen. I don't agree with everything Bart comes up with, but this deserves a little careful attention.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an entertaining discussion of the problems of conflation ...
"Conflation is where two variant readings are copied from different manuscripts and are combined, thus making the Bible text longer," which contradicts the following from Wiki Answers:

"... The Jefferson Bible is a thin volume that Jefferson created by editing the four New Testament Gospels with a razor and paste. It includes the philosophical and moral teachings of Jesus but omitted all claims to miracles or to his divinity."

So how does "making the text longer" result in "a thin volume that Jefferson created"?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
"Conflation is where two variant readings are copied from different manuscripts and are combined, thus making the Bible text longer," which contradicts the following from Wiki Answers:
"... The Jefferson Bible is a thin volume that Jefferson created by editing the four New Testament Gospels with a razor and paste. It includes the philosophical and moral teachings of Jesus but omitted all claims to miracles or to his divinity."
So how does "making the text longer" result in "a thin volume that Jefferson created"?
He takes four different accounts of Yeshua's words and conflates them into a single account as though from a single witness.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
He takes four different accounts of Yeshua's words and conflates them into a single account as though from a single witness.
Thanks for explaining exactly what you meant.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••