Bullied Gay Oregon Student, 15, Hangs Himself

There are 15 comments on the Jan 31, 2013, EDGE story titled Bullied Gay Oregon Student, 15, Hangs Himself. In it, EDGE reports that:

Family members of a gay teen in La Grande, Ore., who tried to hang himself at an elementary school playground, say he was the victim of severe anti-gay bullying, local ABC affiliate KOMO reports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#21 Jan 31, 2013
If I had a gay kid, well, any kid, I'd teach them to beat a bully until the bully is bleeding from the nose and mouth, and knock a few teeth loose. That will get them to STFU.
LeRoy

Anonymous Proxy

#22 Jan 31, 2013
Another one bites the dust!

ROFLMFAO!

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#23 Jan 31, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
If they are bullies, then I can tell you how they feel. They feel encouraged to continue their bullying. And so long as they are not dealt with in the proper fashion, they will continue doing what they are doing. Case in point is the poster "JrEsq"
Oh, I hope not. If they are so cruel, in this enlightened era, can you imagine them when they put on a few years and get out of their teens? A bunch little pre-murderers on the horizon.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#24 Jan 31, 2013
It is often difficult for those who are not harmed by laws and religious beliefs which perpetuate anti-gay prejudice, to recognize and appreciate the severity of harm caused by those anti-gay laws and scientifically unsupportable beliefs.

I suspect they are not closely related to any of the 14,000 gay people who have had their careers and sometimes their very lives destroyed by DADT.

I suspect they have never been physically attacked and beaten simply for being gay, fired from your job, kicked out of your home, disowned by family members, friends, and church for who you love.

They do not feel the effects of the demonization and dehumanization some who claim to be Christians dish out daily which drives many gay people to self destructive behavior including suicide.

They don't have one of the major political parties trying to criminalize them, including some who want to return us to the recent past when if we voiced our opinion we were locked up in jails and institutions, sometimes for life, and tortured with emetics, electric shock, castration, and lobotomies.

They are not among the highest per capita victims of hate crimes, youth homelessness, and suicide.

Individuals and governments don't bully, beat, imprison, torture, and kill them because of whom they love.

Suffering and death are the extreme results of the belief being gay is not acceptable and we must change to heterosexual or live a life of chastity and denial of our humanity.

Not all Christian groups judge and condemn, and some accept gay people as we are without condition. But those who demonize and punish us are killing us.

Many of us reach a point where we decide to fight back rather than kill ourselves or accept dehumanization quietly. Unless we accept punishment and dehumanization as a way of life, we have no choice but to challenge and oppose prejudice no matter where is comes from, and whether it is mild or extreme.

Decades of history, literature, and science, in addition to trial records of many different courts have all clearly demonstrated: Prejudice and discrimination cause suffering and death.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#25 Jan 31, 2013
LeRoy wrote:
ROFLMFAO!
Your homophobia is caused by your inability to deal with your own same sex sexual desires.

Palm Springs, California

#26 Jan 31, 2013
LeRoy wrote:
ROFLMFAO!
I hope your old skank whore mother is dead, or at least neutered so she can't crap out more abominations like you. I would say that your father should be clipped, but since your mom didn't even know his name, that is no guarantee and she might hook up with him again as she street walks.

I wish your scrawny neck was in a noose.
The Black Widow

Pittsfield, MA

#27 Jan 31, 2013
Cancer can be found in nature too Hosie, along with a chitload of other defects. Still looking for that natural childbirth to take place too Hosie.
I think I hear Jade squinting right now.

Palm Springs, California

#28 Jan 31, 2013
The Black Widow wrote:
Cancer can be found in nature too Hosie, along with a chitload of other defects. Still looking for that natural childbirth to take place too Hosie.
I think I hear Jade squinting right now.
Alors!'tres amusement'.
Patrick

United States

#29 Jan 31, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
If I had a gay kid, well, any kid, I'd teach them to beat a bully until the bully is bleeding from the nose and mouth, and knock a few teeth loose. That will get them to STFU.
You mad bro?

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#30 Jan 31, 2013
Cow Hum wrote:
"Pockets of homophobia?"
How about "Pockets of homosexuality?"
That would pockets of HUMANITY you're talking about. Don't like it that there are people who are different from you? Tough. Get over it.

There's no excuse for treating people as if they deserve to be hated, cut off from their families, and thrown out into the streets. Especially children and teens. After committing NO crimes and harming NO ONE, gay people are told that they don't belong, aren't welcome, and that they're even hated by the creator of the universe and destined to torture forever and ever. All because of who they feel love toward.

Few expressions of hatred could be shallower, more ignorant, or more mean-spirited. Find a REAL reason to hold hatred for someone. Be hateful toward someone who has WRONGED you in some way. There's nothing respectable in pre-deciding to hate someone you've never met, simply over their consensual choice of loved ones.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#33 Feb 1, 2013
Cow Hum wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly why gays need all the support and therapy they can get to help them with their unnatural, immoral, compulsive behaviors.
The only such behaviors we are seeing here is people pretending to be straight posting lies and insults on gay/lesbian threads.

You really want the blood of children on your hands?

You are THAT disconnected from reality?

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#34 Feb 1, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, I hope not. If they are so cruel, in this enlightened era, can you imagine them when they put on a few years and get out of their teens? A bunch little pre-murderers on the horizon.
With any luck, they will be lazy and restrict their nonsense to Topix, kind of like NOQ and JrEsq.

Palm Springs, California

#35 Feb 1, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
With any luck, they will be lazy and restrict their nonsense to Topix, kind of like NOQ and JrEsq.
I've said it before, if their vile poison that they spit on Topix lets off the steam of their bursting heads, possibly it will stop them from climbing a tower, or strolling into McDonald's, with a high powered weapon and a bag o' bullets to start picking off pedestrians.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#36 Feb 1, 2013
Jose wrote:
<quoted text>
Behind these bullies , lurking in the shadows are plenty of politicians, city officials perhaps parents and school officials who support them.
Sociopaths sense this and act.
Especially the parents, who need to be held responsible by law (and thus liable for lawsuits).
faithman

United States

#37 Feb 1, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
It is often difficult for those who are not harmed by laws and religious beliefs which perpetuate anti-gay prejudice, to recognize and appreciate the severity of harm caused by those anti-gay laws and scientifically unsupportable beliefs.
I suspect they are not closely related to any of the 14,000 gay people who have had their careers and sometimes their very lives destroyed by DADT.
I suspect they have never been physically attacked and beaten simply for being gay, fired from your job, kicked out of your home, disowned by family members, friends, and church for who you love.
They do not feel the effects of the demonization and dehumanization some who claim to be Christians dish out daily which drives many gay people to self destructive behavior including suicide.
They don't have one of the major political parties trying to criminalize them, including some who want to return us to the recent past when if we voiced our opinion we were locked up in jails and institutions, sometimes for life, and tortured with emetics, electric shock, castration, and lobotomies.
They are not among the highest per capita victims of hate crimes, youth homelessness, and suicide.
Individuals and governments don't bully, beat, imprison, torture, and kill them because of whom they love.
Suffering and death are the extreme results of the belief being gay is not acceptable and we must change to heterosexual or live a life of chastity and denial of our humanity.
Not all Christian groups judge and condemn, and some accept gay people as we are without condition. But those who demonize and punish us are killing us.
Many of us reach a point where we decide to fight back rather than kill ourselves or accept dehumanization quietly. Unless we accept punishment and dehumanization as a way of life, we have no choice but to challenge and oppose prejudice no matter where is comes from, and whether it is mild or extreme.
Decades of history, literature, and science, in addition to trial records of many different courts have all clearly demonstrated: Prejudice and discrimination cause suffering and death.
Well spoken, beautifully written! Thank you Not Yet Equal!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 min Respect71 20,138
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 3 min Respect71 3,254
News What to watch at SCOTUS gay marriage hearing 3 min Wall 22
News Festival-like atmosphere outside Supreme Court 4 min Leroy 1
Are the mods fair and balanced? 4 min NorCal Native 670
News Judge proposes Oregon bakery pay $135,000 to le... 5 min Wondering 249
News 5 things you need to know Tuesday 7 min Leroy 4
News Poll: More faiths embracing gay marriage 20 min One Way 56
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 2,138
More from around the web