Scientists claim that homosexuality is not genetic — but it arises in the womb

Dec 11, 2012 | Posted by: Rick in Kansas | Full story: io9.com

A team of international researchers has completed a study that suggests we will probably never find a ‘gay gene.' Sexual orientation is not about genetics, say the researchers, it's about epigenetics. This is the process where DNA expression is influenced by any number of external factors in the environment. And in the case of homosexuality, the researchers argue, the environment is the womb itself.
Comments
1 - 20 of 123 Comments Last updated Dec 23, 2012
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
JrEsq

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

One of those "external factors" is Spirituality, or more precisely, the lack thereof.
Razor

Fontana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Lol. Can't wait to see everyone that supports Science so much suddenly back away and say "NO IT'S WRONG!" now that Science doesn't back their claims

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Yeah, why bother to read the article when you can just sit in your computer chair and make stuff up. doG forbid you should attempt to educate yourself.
JrEsq wrote:
One of those "external factors" is Spirituality, or more precisely, the lack thereof.
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

JrEsq wrote:
Yea right. That explains "Bishop" Eddie Long, Ted Haggard, Reverend Tom Brock, Pastor Jim Swilley, The Rev. Paul Barnes, Jonathan Merritt, Donnie McClurkin, George Alan Rekers, Paul Barnes...etc. etc. All outed.
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

As explained it would seem that what they discovered was about gender identity not sexuality. However, there are identical twins where one is gay an one is not. Still if one twin is gay it is more likely than compared with other siblings that the other twin is gay.
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

JrEsq wrote:
<quoted text>
So queer Tommy, what then is YOUR explanation for the cause of homosexuality? Don't have a better explanation, do you?
The gays don't want to know the cause of homosexuality, because then a prevention might be discovered.
If some pharmaceutical company developed a gay prevention pill, the gays would probably conduct a commando raid in the middle of the night to blow the plant up. Homosexuality is the only human ailment where the afflicted don't want to be cured.
If a pill were developed, it would be hilarious to watch, as the number of gays dwindled, their efforts to network and jet around the globe looking for a willing butt to plug into.
Apparently, you don't understand what epigenetics are.
JrEsq

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, you are homosexual.

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

I know spirituality doesn't have a damned thing to do with sexual orientation.

Read the article and educate yourself. Maybe you can stop looking so foolish.
JrEsq wrote:
<quoted text>
So queer Tommy, what then is YOUR explanation for the cause of homosexuality? Don't have a better explanation, do you?
The gays don't want to know the cause of homosexuality, because then a prevention might be discovered.
If some pharmaceutical company developed a gay prevention pill, the gays would probably conduct a commando raid in the middle of the night to blow the plant up. Homosexuality is the only human ailment where the afflicted don't want to be cured.
If a pill were developed, it would be hilarious to watch, as the number of gays dwindled, their efforts to network and jet around the globe looking for a willing butt to plug into.

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

That's what he gets from just reading headlines.
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
JrEsq

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

TomInElPaso wrote:
I know spirituality doesn't have a damned thing to do with sexual orientation.
Read the article and educate yourself. Maybe you can stop looking so foolish.
<quoted text>
"I know spirituality doesn't have a damned thing to do with sexual orientation."
It's not a coincidence that the majority of homosexuals are atheist.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Truth wrote:
As explained it would seem that what they discovered was about gender identity not sexuality. However, there are identical twins where one is gay an one is not. Still if one twin is gay it is more likely than compared with other siblings that the other twin is gay.
It's about the expression of our genes and how various factors in utero can affect that.

A perfect example is handedness; in identical twins where one is left-handed, the other is often right-handed. Something happens in the womb which affects how their identical genes express certain traits. It could be a difference in hormonal levels between the twins or blood flow or positioning in the womb, etc, etc.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

JrEsq wrote:
<quoted text>
"I know spirituality doesn't have a damned thing to do with sexual orientation."
It's not a coincidence that the majority of homosexuals are atheist.
Yet the overwhelming majority of homosexuals were raised in religious households and were raised as religious individuals.

Most of us who are gay & athiest became athiest long after we realized we're gay. A lot of that had to do with the church condeming us for being gay.

That said, the overwhelming majority of gays & lesbians in America are in fact christians. Just as the overwhelming majority of gays & lesbians in primarily Muslim countries are Muslims; and the overwhelming majority of gays & lesbians in primarily Jewish countries are Jewish, etc.

Just another of "theories" shot down.....
JrEsq

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

"the overwhelming majority of gays & lesbians in America are in fact christians"
That's bullshyte, right out of some gay propaganda manual.
Franz

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Being religious or spiritual requires having morals and living your life based on knowing right from wrong and doing right.

It's kind of hard to do that and be homosexual at the same time.

Homosexuality is all about doing what I want when I want it. Screw decency, f*ck society, to hell with everyone who doesn't let me do whatever the f#ck I want to do!
Chance

Grove City, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet the overwhelming majority of homosexuals were raised in religious households and were raised as religious individuals.
Most of us who are gay & athiest became athiest long after we realized we're gay. A lot of that had to do with the church condeming us for being gay.
That said, the overwhelming majority of gays & lesbians in America are in fact christians. Just as the overwhelming majority of gays & lesbians in primarily Muslim countries are Muslims; and the overwhelming majority of gays & lesbians in primarily Jewish countries are Jewish, etc.
Just another of "theories" shot down.....
Just goes to show, there are different ways to be "Christian." Some are in name only.
I think this is exciting research. It is great to nail down cause. Surely cure and prevention can be far behind.

“ reality, what a concept”

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

JrEsq wrote:
"the overwhelming majority of gays & lesbians in America are in fact christians"
That's bullshyte, right out of some gay propaganda manual.
http://www.barna.org/barna-update/article/13-...

Some people just make it easy, you make it fun. Moron.

“ reality, what a concept”

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Chance wrote:
Just goes to show, there are different ways to be "Christian." Some are in name only.
I think this is exciting research. It is great to nail down cause. Surely cure and prevention can be far behind.
2Kings 2:24. It's self-professed Christians like you who give the faith a bad name, Jesus must be so freaking proud.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

I think you turn gay in the womb if your mom drinks too much Ovaltine when she's pregnant.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

JrEsq wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not an ailment. Nor is it peculiar to humans.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not an ailment. Nor is it peculiar to humans.
But it IS undeniably FUN !

:)

WOO-HOO ! It's cutieboys tonite !

:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••