Obama, Mitt Romney Called On To Wear Purple In Support Of Bullied Gay Teens

Oct 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: On Top Magazine

A gay teen is calling on President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney to wear purple next Friday in support of Spirit Day.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of86
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“... from a ...”

Since: Mar 09

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

An interesting challenge to the candidates.
The Worlds Biggest Lie

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
An interesting challenge to the candidates.
Is that what ya call it Snyper? This is mere foolishness infantile behavior of a gay agenda wishing to undermine and demean our political process. That's all this is Snyper and believe it or not I actually expected better from you. Absolutely pathetic and really deserves no coverage. I really hope Obama gets his ass handed to him Nov 6th.
He earned it!

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
That's interesting because in the early 80's I don't recall anyone in my class or the class above me or below me having any homosexuals.
Well I was in high school in the 80's, too, and I don't remember being too crazy about the idea of announcing that I was gay to the entire student body. Was it common for kids to come running to tell you?

Kids who are gay (and they ARE out there, they know it about themselves already, they don't need anyone to "recruit" them) have it very tough in school, where social circles are very different from the real world, and where the most popular cliques rule. Because of bullying. Because of OTHER kids, who are more powerful, either physically or socially, and who use their power to their advantage to humiliate and demoralize easy targets. Driven by the bizarre idea that being gay is somehow "evil" or "wrong", and that being open about it is even worse.
I know of 2 in my class that turned out to be a lesbian and the other to be gay as adults out of 142.
My class size was in the 300's, in a town of about 10,000, and even I don't know everyone who was gay. I hope you don't think that your tiny school represents what goes on in the THOUSANDS of really BIG schools, in really big cities across the nation. That little "2" (that you know of) adds up pretty fast.

It can be AWFUL out there, in ways that you may not be able to imagine, and not just for gay kids, but for MANY others. Drawing attention to the problem of bullying helps those others, too. It's a GOOD thing to teach EVERYONE, including the good kids who aren't bullies but who are passive bystanders, how to identify bullying and how to stop it. I can't come up with a very long list of reasons NOT to raise awareness of this issue.
It is up to the school admministrators, not you to deal with bullying in schools.
It's up to CITIZENS to act cooperatively to maintain a safe and healthy society, and we all have a duty to speak up if we don't see enough being done. You are saying "abandon these kids".
This is merely senationalist journalism in an attempt to inflate your numbers and ego.
A statement like that comes from an obsessive NEED to make sure that the numbers of gay people stay DOWN. I don't know WHAT the true numbers are, and I don't care. Sexual orientation is not a reason to target and abuse people, regardless of how many there are.
You are a cult aren't you?
You can define any word as broadly as you want, if that's what it takes to make it fit. Think about what kids who are gay would think about hearing you say that. They would hear you saying that their INEVITABLE FUTURE is a "cult", as if they are brainwashed and domineering and evil, just because they feel sexual attraction differently than you do, and because they are asking not to be disrespected or outright abused because of it. They are always going to feel this way, and they are always going to ask this of you, and it isn't a "cult" just because there are a lot of people who agree. It's going to be a tougher world for ALL of us if you refuse to see this.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

3OHY wrote:
Nonsense. The domination games gays exercise are the real bullying.
This just sounds like you want to protect the bullies, that you want this behavior unobserved and free to operate. It doesn't work to say "don't bully the bullies". It's not intolerant to call attention to intolerance.
3OHY wrote:
They force others into the game and sometimes it gets rough.
I don't know what you mean by "rough", but WE are forced into our positions by people who, for whatever reasons, believe that being gay is something that must be hidden and forever unspoken. Don't ask people to live like that, and they won't feel compelled to force a thing.
3OHY wrote:
You'd claim that lion cubs playing hard is bullying.
I'd claim that maybe you don't have the slightest idea what "playing hard" means. Kids are KILLING THEMSELVES over this. Wouldn't you call that a little TOO hard?

I think YOU'D claim that children are perfectly capable of doling out social justice amongst themselves. They AREN'T. Some of them will victimize others, VICIOUSLY.
3OHY wrote:
Physical bullying has been opposed, confronted and stopped by many people over the ages.
So has cancer. That doesn't mean that we give up fighting it, or that we critize the people who try new and more agressive ways to do it.

Stopping the occasional visible incident is not the same as raising cultural awareness of this as an issue. Humanity ALWAYS has aspects about itself that it can improve. Recent anti-bullying efforts help to educate EVERYONE about identifying and stopping ALL bullying, including people who may not be bullies OR targets themselves, but are only bystanders who would otherwise be willing to stand aside and do nothing when they see it. This improves the educational experience for all kids.
3OHY wrote:
Such bullying occurs very seldom and represents extreme behavior, just as is homosexuality.
You don't solve an issue by minimizing it. Funny how you tie those two things so closely together, does that make it easier to say that only the fags are being bullied? It probably isn't very hard to get from there to believing that fags DESERVE to be bullied.
3OHY wrote:
The very essence of homosexuality is exaggerated, exhibitionist behavior.
Self expression becomes a badge when you grow up forbidden to use it. Don't force people to live in a closet, and they won't need to feel so forceful when they come out. If you make adolescence into a survival exercise, then you can expect pride parades from the people who survived it. They may even do it JUST to spite you, and that seems completely appropriate to me.
3OHY wrote:
Trying to use reverse psychology to control others is bullying.
What I hear is "don't bully the bullies. Let them bully. Don't pressure them to NOT act like barbarians." Sorry, but it doesn't wash. Kids go to school for math and music and sports. Not to feel hated and threatened. If you have some kind of FOND childhood memories of bullying, you are the minority.
EmilioInTexas

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
Them stupid Fa$$ots are always wanting attention. I'd wear anything but purple. Hope neither candidates cave into pressure by some stupid attention getters.
Hey NoQ y r u always such an a**hole
Cat74

Mchenry, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

I will never wear purple again!!

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes one sick bastar;d to wear purple. That's why you perverted Freaks wear it.
You say you would wear any color but purple........like to see you in a PINK shirt and pants to match!=)
Jane Dough

Bellows Falls, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just called "pressure", not "bullying". Bullying is threats and intimidation,
What SHOULD be done instead? Asking nicely?
"Insinuated"? No, I just asked if you support it. Are we no longer allowed to ASK people about their position?
YOU actually insinutated it yourself, by criticizing the people who fight this disgusting behavior. Only a bully wants to silence the people who fight bullying. Only a bully would NEED to.
Yes, you guys bully...and here you are merely saying you feel justified...

I am the one saying all forms of bullying are wrong...
can you grasp that?

You do not teach a child not to hit by beating them...

If a bully comes at you personally, yes, you fight back, that is not the same as bullying another person to do something about it...

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

Jane Dough wrote:
Yes, you guys bully...and here you are merely saying you feel justified...
Pressuring bullies to stop their bullying IS justified. An approach of "pretty please don't bully" is never going to work.
Jane Dough wrote:
I am the one saying all forms of bullying are wrong...
can you grasp that?
I wonder if you can grasp that you're not ALONE in saying that. Is there anything you intend to DO about it?
Jane Dough wrote:
You do not teach a child not to hit by beating them...
Who is advocating THAT? That came out of left field...
Jane Dough wrote:
If a bully comes at you personally, yes, you fight back, that is not the same as bullying another person to do something about it...
It is if it appears that they want to protect the bullies, and help them hide what they're doing. The ONLY people who consistently fight these efforts are the people who believe that gay people DESERVE to be bullied, people who already single out gays in their OWN personal lives. People like you and NoQ, who are CONSISTENTLY here to denigrate gay people for being gay. I don't ever see ANYONE ELSE oppose anti-bullying efforts, except for the people who disagree with including the LGBT community on a list of those deserving protection. The message from that is "Stop the bullying... except when it's against gay people. Then it's OK."

The other message I seem to get from your side is that children should be left to sort this all out themselves. Let them be judges, juries and executioners among themselves, and trust that childhood justice will be fairly applied. That's ludicrous. School is not a dojo, for the strong to sort out the weak.
Jane Dough

Bellows Falls, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Pressuring bullies to stop their bullying IS justified. An approach of "pretty please don't bully" is never going to work.
<quoted text>
I wonder if you can grasp that you're not ALONE in saying that. Is there anything you intend to DO about it?
<quoted text>
Who is advocating THAT? That came out of left field...
<quoted text>
It is if it appears that they want to protect the bullies, and help them hide what they're doing. The ONLY people who consistently fight these efforts are the people who believe that gay people DESERVE to be bullied, people who already single out gays in their OWN personal lives. People like you and NoQ, who are CONSISTENTLY here to denigrate gay people for being gay. I don't ever see ANYONE ELSE oppose anti-bullying efforts, except for the people who disagree with including the LGBT community on a list of those deserving protection. The message from that is "Stop the bullying... except when it's against gay people. Then it's OK."
The other message I seem to get from your side is that children should be left to sort this all out themselves. Let them be judges, juries and executioners among themselves, and trust that childhood justice will be fairly applied. That's ludicrous. School is not a dojo, for the strong to sort out the weak.
I am saying your side attacks and bullies for what you want and then whine about being bullied...

bullying applies to everyone, not just gays...

take chil-fil-A....
you attacked...
your side tried to bully them into taking it back...

Bullying is bullying, it is never justified...

why does your side always think their side is justified and no one else is?
people are allowed to disagree with you and not be attacked for it?

you get that right?

You can try to nerf the entire world, but it only makes the kids soft...
The Worlds Biggest Lie

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

If ya want bullying start with the unions. Fine example for the kiddies.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

Jane Dough wrote:
I am saying your side attacks and bullies for what you want and then whine about being bullied...
It doesn't qualify, not when "what we want" is to be treated with the exact same respect and inclusion that you enjoy. When you can justify the social treatment that gay people receive, this might be valid. You don't get to say that gay people receive such poor treatment BECAUSE we "whine" for our rights. Abuse of gay people goes WAY back, BEFORE we took a stand for civil justice. You don't just get to label ANY fight for rights as "attacks" and "bullying". This is just an attempt to silence the people who are fighting.
Jane Dough wrote:
bullying applies to everyone, not just gays...
take chil-fil-A....
you attacked...
your side tried to bully them into taking it back...
"I" didn't attack ANYONE. I thought the Chik-Fil-A brouhaha was absurd. I felt they should be left alone to do as they please, and support whatever cause they wanted. Plenty of gay people agree with me. Plenty of straight people joined in the attacks.
Jane Dough wrote:
Bullying is bullying, it is never justified...
STOPPING bullying IS justified. A push for an anti-bullying campaign is not ITSELF "bullying". OPPOSITION to such a campaign makes no sense at all.
Jane Dough wrote:
why does your side always think their side is justified and no one else is?
Why do you think it's wrong for people who are treated as social pariahs to make a struggle for inclusion? It isn't "bullying" for us to demand this. There's no valid reason for gay people to endure such treatment, and we ARE justified in seeking an end to it.
Jane Dough wrote:
people are allowed to disagree with you and not be attacked for it?
you get that right?[QUOTE who="Jane Dough"]

They are allowed to disagree, but they might be asked to explain themselves. Asking for that is not "attacking". What reason is there to disagree that consenting adults should be free to decide who their partner can be? Why would you disagree with this incredibly personal freedom?

[QUOTE who="Jane Dough"]You can try to nerf the entire world, but it only makes the kids soft...
You go call up the parents of child suicides and tell them that.
Jane Dough

Bellows Falls, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>

Why do you think it's wrong for people who are treated as social pariahs to make a struggle for inclusion? It isn't "bullying" for us to demand this. There's no valid reason for gay people to endure such treatment, and we ARE justified in seeking an end to it.
<quoted text>
You go call up the parents of child suicides and tell them that.
Who would think its wrong to work to be treated equally?
fact is there are degrees, and you guys have gone overboard and have become what you claim to despise..
you are completely intolerant of any view but your own...
you misinterpret any opposition as if its based on animus against you...even when that opposition is only for your group to consider ALL bullying...

do you admit your side does bully sometimes, and you just think its justified?

a simple suggestion that bullying for ALL people is equally important is met with claims about how gays are specially bullied, they are not.

Bullying is a topic for all, you do not own oppression....

I mean, look at how you made me out to support bullying...
once you hit that point where you are accusing another rational person of wanting gays to be bullied, you are off the edge...

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

Jane Dough wrote:
Who would think its wrong to work to be treated equally?
fact is there are degrees, and you guys have gone overboard and have become what you claim to despise..
you are completely intolerant of any view but your own...
you misinterpret any opposition as if its based on animus against you...even when that opposition is only for your group to consider ALL bullying...
do you admit your side does bully sometimes, and you just think its justified?
a simple suggestion that bullying for ALL people is equally important is met with claims about how gays are specially bullied, they are not.
Bullying is a topic for all, you do not own oppression....
I mean, look at how you made me out to support bullying...
once you hit that point where you are accusing another rational person of wanting gays to be bullied, you are off the edge...
Then why stand in the way of these efforts? Did you even read this article? This is ONE KID, who is only ASKING if the candidates would wear a COLOR, in support of anti-bullying awareness. Oh, yeah, what a BULLY she is! She is just OFF THE EDGE for making such a heinous and domineering request! Oh wait, she once PROTESTED to have a movie rating changed! Call the COPS!!!

Please. Bullying? Hardly.

When I hit the point where I accuse another rational person of wanting gays to be bullied? Do you not watch the news? You're hanging out on gay headline sites, so you must have SOME investment in this issue. There are THOUSANDS of people in this country (to say nothing of the rest of the world) who would GLEEFULLY attend mass gay executions. Literally.

Are you one of them? I don't know. Maybe not. But to actually OPPOSE any effort to end bullying, and by CALLING the people who support that effort "bullies" themselves, is unfathomable. To attempt to apply that label to a TEENAGE GIRL, who is only asking for the current presidential candidates to acknowledge that bullying is a major on-going issue that should be addressed, I don't even know where to start.

Please don't BEGIN to try to sell me on the idea that you were all lovey-dovey with gay people UNTIL we started asking for an end to bullying, and that THIS is what soured you on supporting gay rights. No one would oppose gay people adding their voices to this effort, unless they ALREADY felt that gay people weren't worth listening to.
Cat74

Mchenry, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

There will always be bullies. The only way to deal with them is to stand up to them.
Jane Dough

Bellows Falls, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why stand in the way of these efforts? Did you even read this article? This is ONE KID, who is only ASKING if the candidates would wear a COLOR, in support of anti-bullying awareness. Oh, yeah, what a BULLY she is!.
why do you think inventing things and attributing them to me and then typing out paragraphs of faux outrage over the thing you pretended i said is constructive?

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

Jane Dough wrote:
why do you think inventing things and attributing them to me and then typing out paragraphs of faux outrage over the thing you pretended i said is constructive?
I'm not sure why I think ANY of this conversation will be constructive.
Jane Dough wrote:
ever notice how much they bully about this bullying topic?
This was from your very first posting on this thread. I didn't invent it, I certainly don't have to take any steps to attribute it to you; your name is on it.

Is there any OTHER way for me to interpret this, besides "Leave those bullies alone"?

If you want to label the efforts to identify and stop bullying AS bullying, then I don't know what to tell you.
Jane Dough

Bellows Falls, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure why I think ANY of this conversation will be constructive.
<quoted text>
This was from your very first posting on this thread. I didn't invent it, I certainly don't have to take any steps to attribute it to you; your name is on it.
Is there any OTHER way for me to interpret this, besides "Leave those bullies alone"?
If you want to label the efforts to identify and stop bullying AS bullying, then I don't know what to tell you.
How about you take it how I meant it, bullying to end bullying is a not a reasonable tack, just like being intolerant for the sake of tolerance...

If people are bullying....it is what it is....
are you suggesting bullying is okay SOMETIMES, like when the person doesn't agree with you?

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
but when you BULLY people about it, you become what you hate...you can see that right?
ever heard of Gandhi?
I do love how you insinuated that i support bullying though...
You, of all people, should not mention Gandhi in any of your comments. It is an insult to his name.

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

<quoted text>
Entirely possible. I like to aim a little high with some room for error. Speaking of errors. I wonder how long it will take for Joe Biden to swallow his foot tonight.
You know that so far, the best statistics place it at around 9%. You are wrong and making uneducated guesses.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of86
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••