Michigan Governor Stays Cautious on G...

Michigan Governor Stays Cautious on Gay Marriage

There are 14 comments on the ABC News story from Mar 26, 2014, titled Michigan Governor Stays Cautious on Gay Marriage. In it, ABC News reports that:

Michigan's Republican Gov. Rick Snyder, who keeps mostly silent on social issues in favor of focusing on the economy, is stepping carefully on the issue of gay marriage after a judge's declaration that the state's ban is unconstitutional.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Mar 26, 2014
The Governor thinks he won't be branded as anti-gay by pretending not to care about "social issues".

As if the harm to same-sex families by these bans aren't economic issues to us.

What a weasel.

Since: Oct 10

San Francisco

#2 Mar 26, 2014
"While Snyder supported traditional marriage in the 2010 campaign..."

How does that distinguish him from anyone else? No one is advocating an end to opposite-sex marriage, but it encourages bigots to believe it, or pretend to.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#3 Mar 26, 2014
Just saw the Time article, GLANCED, more, I should say, at the article; it appears Michigan won't recognize the marriages which occurred.

I say bring on the lawsuits. I wouldn't even speak to these people; I would literally ignore them as if they did not exist, and simply go file the lawsuits either today or tomorrow.

Note that I am, in part, basing this attitude on the certainty of the ACLU.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#4 Mar 26, 2014
Like to many other Republican elected officials, he still believes that only gay people will be bothered by this. He doesn't realize that our friends and family are equally offended.

Let's hope he gets the message loud in clear in November.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#5 Mar 26, 2014
The most wonderful thing in the near future would be if republicans continue to wreck themselves at the next set of elections, and the next. If they *really do lose* on a grand scale, it might be a colossal, heart-shaking shock to their systems that will make the point in a way that will scare them very, very badly: This discrimination needs to stop.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Mar 26, 2014
Well, what can he do? He's happily in the troglodyte Party, but if he has aspirations for higher office (a national ticket, and what Governor secretly or openly does not?) then he can't possibly calculate what his wide stance should be on marriage equality to best further his ambitions.

It's a real conserdumdum. I mean, conundrum.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Mar 26, 2014
hi hi wrote:
The most wonderful thing in the near future would be if republicans continue to wreck themselves at the next set of elections, and the next. If they *really do lose* on a grand scale, it might be a colossal, heart-shaking shock to their systems that will make the point in a way that will scare them very, very badly: This discrimination needs to stop.
Obama's ratings are low, and thanks to R. regressive tax policies and those two unfunded wars the rank and file voters are not doing well. I see cause for concern...because those undecided and R. voters will be the last ones to ever figure out how we all got where we are.

They think it's due to homosexuals, feminists and social needs spending....

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Mar 27, 2014
So the Governor now say the 300+ marriages are legal, but the state won't recognize them because of the stay from the 6th circuit.

Bring on the ACLU lawsuits, just like happened in Utah.

Seriously, what is WRONG with these people?

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Mar 27, 2014
hi hi wrote:
Unfortunately the mid-terms are usually low turnout elections, and historically favor the party not in control of the White House. The Dems will be lucky to hold the Senate this time, unless they find a way to counter the Obamacare scare being so effectively employed by the GOPasaurs.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#10 Mar 27, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately the mid-terms are usually low turnout elections, and historically favor the party not in control of the White House. The Dems will be lucky to hold the Senate this time, unless they find a way to counter the Obamacare scare being so effectively employed by the GOPasaurs.
And I have yet to see a Republican come up with a replacement plan for the ACA. If they were to get their way, and actually repeal the ACA, I feel sorry for the millions of people who will either lose their coverage, or, worse yet, pay more money for a lesser plan. I assisted my sister in getting coverage thru HealthCare.gov , and she is much better off with the plan she eventually chose for a smaller premium, and a subsidy. Her husband left her for a younger woman and left her in the lurch. She has to work two minimum-salary part time jobs and gets monetary support from my brother and I. The Republicans won't be happy until the 1% have everything, and the poor (as there will be no middle class) are starving in the streets. And all they will be told by the Government is, "get a job" (as if there would be any).
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#11 Mar 27, 2014
Fundies R Mentally Nil wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama's ratings are low, and thanks to R. regressive tax policies and those two unfunded wars the rank and file voters are not doing well. I see cause for concern...because those undecided and R. voters will be the last ones to ever figure out how we all got where we are.
They think it's due to homosexuals, feminists and social needs spending....
Worse yet, historically speaking (see: pattern of U.S. presidents and their election to office by party), a Republican is due next.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#12 Mar 27, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
See my answer just above; then again, one can either worry or one can commit to the Battle Eternal.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#13 Mar 27, 2014
I spoke generally there, not of you. I'm saying, every single worry or problem that comes your way, you generally, you forge solutions and you never even blink because of *conviction*, and because your conviction excludes *all else*. Take a page from these people's playbook. The progressives could REALLY use one, as a whole. Not because they don't have it but because they will continually need it. It's very useful.
lamer

Piqua, OH

#14 Mar 27, 2014
The michigan repubs are going to cost their taxpayers more $$ in lawsuits. Its like the same thing is happening state after state and those states' leaders still arent learning.

The playbook has been established and we are now playing from it. You anti gays dont seems to have much of a plan at all...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 7 min Pietro Armando 60,826
News Kevin Vickers receives Order of New Brunswick f... 8 min TerryE 1
News Oregon issues final order in gay wedding cake case 17 min TerryE 54
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 38 min Poof1 1,936
News Iowa summit addresses concerns of aging LGBT po... 54 min TerryE 11
News Feds release updated strategy against AIDS in A... 2 hr Wondering 27
News More evidence that kids of gay parents do just ... 3 hr Just Think 31
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 9 hr Frankie Rizzo 8,289
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 11 hr TomInElPaso 1,301
More from around the web