Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 | Posted by: SongBookz | Full story: news.yahoo.com

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Comments
13,821 - 13,840 of 16,105 Comments Last updated Aug 28, 2013
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Read Ezekiel 4:12.
Stan53 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, from the guy who starts in a toilet bowl. You spend way to much time in fecal matter.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
16 He then said to me:“Son of man, I am about to cut off the food supply in Jerusalem. The people will eat rationed food in anxiety and drink rationed water in despair,

17 for food and water will be scarce. They will be appalled at the sight of each other and <<<<<will waste away because of their sin.>>>>>

Why???

will waste away because of their sin....

Dangers of SIN...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
How can God have a body?
Read my reply again....

Man.....

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Stan53 wrote:
<quoted text>
Solomon did NOT define marriage as God wanted,
The Law clearly states that polygamy is permitted, even if it is not specifically promoted. Then too, Solomon was not the only patriarch that engaged in polygamy.
Stan53 wrote:
and David & Jonathan were close friends, NOT gay lovers.
The Bible shows that you are wrong. Traditional Jewish weddings could be performed in any one of three ways: an exchange of vows, and exchange of gifts, and an exchange of bodily fluids (in other words, having sex). David and Johnathan performed all three, as clearly shown in 1 Samuel. So, I suppose that you could say that in a sense, they were not actually gay lovers, they were husband and husband.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 19:4-6 (NASB)
4 And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE,
5 and said,'FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH'?
6 "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."
Jesus uses the OT to affirm in the NT that marriage is only between a man and woman.
Idiot.
<quoted text>
Jesus QUOTED the Torah exactly.
Moreover, the usual 'practice' was divorce. And he condemned it. When he said "from the beginning", he was literally talking about God's design from the beginning.
You are a perfect example of why faithless idiots have no idea what they are talking about. Go eat something and leave things above and beyond you alone reprobate.
Smile.
Jews, back in the time of Jesus and on into today, have had a practice of building fences around the Torah. The commandment says to not boil a kid in the milk of its mother, and by successive layers of this building fences, the modern Jewish practice is to not eat ice cream after a steak dinner.

Another example is the Babylonian Talmud: Shabbat 13a "To a Nazarite we say go out round and round, but don't go past the vineyard." Not only was a Nazarite not supposed to drink wine or strong drink, they should make it a point to avoid anyplace that sold wine so as to not be tempted.

Jesus is also claimed to have said
Matthew 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment...

but trying to enforce that would have the courts filled with the entire population.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
and how does this relate to my comment?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Stan53 wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you need to learn a thing or two about messianic prophesy.
Pay attention and I will TEACH you quite a bit about the REAL Messianic prophecies...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah.
Bashing children's heads against rocks? Not a sin.
Stoning people to death? Not a sin.
Genocide? Not a sin.
Running pregnant women through with swords to ensure the death of the baby inside? Not a sin.
Getting someone drunk so you can have sex with them? Not a sin.
Driving a nail through the ear of your slave (slavery is also cool with God) to mark him permanently as your property? Not a sin.
Oh, God just has a major hard-on for violence. Isn't interesting how the gods of nomadic sheep-herding societies tended to be that way? Meanwhile, the gods of agrarian societies tended to be more about fertility and harmony. And, as societies progressed and violence became an aberration rather than a tolerated aspect of relationships (it's now ILLEGAL to beat your wife or to rape her, which wasn't even a thing until recently), the violence that the Abrahamic God was so big on suddenly started becoming anathema to the idea of God? All that "God is love" crap didn't start until the 20th century. Before then, God wasn't love. All that Jesus hippie shit was popularized with the advent of the global society, enabled by telephones and television.
But, what do I know? I'll leave it to the know-it-all liars for Jesus to tell us what God is really all about.
Don't forget Mark Twain's favorite: the smiting of whomsoever shall pisseth against a wall!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
The Law of Moses was ONLY for Israel. Christians have a New Covenant.
"not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers"
Jeremiah 31:31-32 (NKJV)
31 "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah--
32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD.
THAT PASSAGE DOES NOT START OR END THERE. Did you hear it that time?

Quoting out of context is just another form of lying.

Jeremiah 30:22 And ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.
30:23 Behold, the whirlwind of the LORD goeth forth with fury, a continuing whirlwind: it shall fall with pain upon the head of the wicked.
30:24 The fierce anger of the LORD shall not return, until he hath done it, and until he have performed the intents of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it.
31:1 At the same time, saith the LORD, will I be the God of all the families of Israel, and they shall be my people.
31:2 Thus saith the LORD, The people which were left of the sword found grace in the wilderness; even Israel, when I went to cause him to rest.

<edited for space - go read the ENTIRE passage in context!!!!>

31:10 Hear the word of the LORD, O ye nations, and declare it in the isles afar off, and say, He that scattered Israel will gather him, and keep him, as a shepherd doth his flock.
31:11 For the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and ransomed him from the hand of him that was stronger than he.

31:23 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; As yet they shall use this speech in the land of Judah and in the cities thereof, when I shall bring again their captivity; The LORD bless thee, O habitation of justice, and mountain of holiness.
31:24 And there shall dwell in Judah itself, and in all the cities thereof together, husbandmen, and they that go forth with flocks.
31:25 For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.

31:27 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will sow the house of Israel and the house of Judah with the seed of man, and with the seed of beast.
31:28 And it shall come to pass, that like as I have watched over them, to pluck up, and to break down, and to throw down, and to destroy, and to afflict; so will I watch over them, to build, and to plant, saith the LORD.
31:29 In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge.
31:30 But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.
31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

<PAY ATTENTION, here is that "new" covenant:>

31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Read the ENTIRE passage in context, and the meaning is clear: Christianity is no more the "new" covenant than Islam is...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
The Law clearly states that polygamy is permitted, even if it is not specifically promoted. Then too, Solomon was not the only patriarch that engaged in polygamy.
<quoted text>

So clearly that you can't show it? God's plan is clearly indicated in Gen 2:24 or in Deut 17:17. Jesus also clarified what God intended marriage to be if you read and understand Matthew 19.

[QUOTE who="Liam R"]<quoted text>
The Bible shows that you are wrong. Traditional Jewish weddings could be performed in any one of three ways: an exchange of vows, and exchange of gifts, and an exchange of bodily fluids (in other words, having sex). David and Johnathan performed all three, as clearly shown in 1 Samuel. So, I suppose that you could say that in a sense, they were not actually gay lovers, they were husband and husband.
This is a typical example of equivocation. You use no particular verses and I for one am NOT interested in hunting down alleged support for gay marriage. The Bible is full of loving relationships that are NOT gay. Jesus and the "disciple that Jesus loved" is one such example. There are always those like you who want to slant scripture but never provide any proof or take it so far OUT of context and proper hermeneutical understanding as to be ludicrous.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Pay attention and I will TEACH you quite a bit about the REAL Messianic prophecies...
Not bloody likely based on what I've read so far. Are you Jewish?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you reject the New Covenant, where does that leave you? Answer: In DEEP trouble with God.
Hebrews 8:13 (NKJV)
13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete.
I am not one of the children of Israel, so I am just fine. Of course, that is a little like saying that I reject Santa's naughty list...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
They were men wanting sex with a man instead of with a woman.
Homosexuals and sodomites "will not inherit the Kingdom of God". They will burn in Hell forever.
1 Corinthians 6:9 (NKJV)
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,
1) Paul was a false prophet. Your English version is a mistranslation of the words of a false prophet.

2) As you have been taught MANY times, man on man rape was (and still is) used as a tool of EXTREME inhospitality and it has nothing to do with consensual same sex relationships, any more than man on woman rape has anything to do with opposite sex relationships.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
"image"...copy or a counterpart...
We have a spirit.
God is also spirit.
Surely God created man for a greater purpose than to be a gardener.
Yes!!!
He was created for the purpose of a relationship – a relationship between God and man.
We know this because we were the only creature made in God’s image.
He created us because he wanted to love us.
He cares for us in a special way.
Jesus said...look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are you not much more valuable than they?
How do you know that God did not say the same thing to the dolphins? Or the little green men that live 175 light years from Earth?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, created in the image of God, is triune: body, soul and spirit.
But the distinction between "soul" and "spirit" is artificial - they are the same thing.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Stan53 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now pay attention all you trolls out there, along with any serious people;
Isaiah 7:14;
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
Matthew 1:21-23;
21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”
22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”(which means “God with us”).
Hence, he was referred to as "GOD WITH US". Then they NAMED Him Jesus as shown in v21. The word "Jesus" means "Jehovah is salvation." This is appropriate since Jesus is Jehovah, second person of the Trinity, who became flesh and is our salvation.
But totally meaningless, since Isiah was giving a prophecy about the IMMEDIATE survival of the kingdom of Judah, as Syria and Israel were joining forces to attack. Isaiah told King Ahaz that a PARTICULAR young woman (NOT a "virgin") was about to give birth. The prophecy was that the child would be a son, and Ahaz would be victorious by the time the kid could tell good from evil. As usual, you made the mistake of failing to read it in context.

And as far as Yahweh* being salvation, of course. That was always the case, and the reason that the mythical Jesus was totally superfluous: the Jews ALWAYS had all the salvation they needed from the God of the Bible.

* "Jehovah" is a particularly stupid mistranslation of the name spelled by the Hebrew letters Yod Heh Vauv Heh. There is no "J" in Hebrew.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Liam R wrote:
Read the ENTIRE passage in context, and the meaning is clear: Christianity is no more the "new" covenant than Islam is...
You wanna stick with the OT? It doesn't give any hope to sodomites. Here ya go:
Genesis 13:13 (NKJV)
13 But the men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the LORD.
Genesis 19:24 (NKJV)
24 Then the LORD rained brimstone and fire on Sodom and Gomorrah, from the LORD out of the heavens.
Leviticus 20:13 (NKJV)
13 If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.
And neither does the NT.
Homosexuals and sodomites "will not inherit the Kingdom of God".
1 Corinthians 6:9 (NKJV)
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,
"God gave them up to VILE passions" "men with men"
Romans 1:26-27 (NKJV)
26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.
27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
You are without hope in either OT or NT.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not one of the children of Israel, so I am just fine. Of course, that is a little like saying that I reject Santa's naughty list...
So you're just kind of in 'limbo'. On your own. Without God. I see.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Paul was a false prophet. Your English version is a mistranslation of the words of a false prophet.
Two lies don't equal truth. DUH!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Liam R wrote:
2) As you have been taught MANY times, man on man rape was (and still is) used as a tool of EXTREME inhospitality and it has nothing to do with consensual same sex relationships, any more than man on woman rape has anything to do with opposite sex relationships.
"God gave them up to VILE passions" "men with men"

Romans 1:26-27 (NKJV)
26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••