Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 Full story: news.yahoo.com 16,104

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Full Story
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#12319 Apr 4, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again.
Evolution does NOT say how life began. Abiogenesis is a completely separate science. The ONLY thing that evolution says is that over time, organisms with better adaptations will be selected over those with lesser adaptations. The accumulation of these adaptations gives rise to what we call evolution.
Many intelligent and well-trained scientists—listen to me—are moving away from this theory, and it is not necessarily because they are Bible believers; it is because of the lack of evidence for evolution.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#12320 Apr 4, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times a day must I write that you are wrong again?
There are no prophecies calling for the crucifixion of the Messiah, nor are there any prophecies that say that he will come, FAIL, and get to come back again for a second chance to get things right.
The Messiah can be recognized only because he has fulfilled all of the prophecies - he is recognized BECAUSE the prophecies have been fulfilled.
Is there peace in the world? Heck, let's look small, and say that the prophecy was ONLY for Israel and not the entire world. Is there everlasting peace in Israel? If the answer is no, then the prophecies have not been fulfilled. End of story, end of the possibility that Jesus was the Messiah.
And, just because you say that I am wrong, it is true....

LOL......

I have been on this earth PROBABLY a lot longer than you have...
Reality Check

Anonymous Proxy

#12322 Apr 4, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
They (the churches) reap everything they sow.
Guess it just didn't work the way they wanted it to..
Indeed, Christians do reap what we sow. We sow truth and reap salvation. You atheists also reap what we sow. We sow truth and you reap the lake of fire. Kinda works out just the way we want it, you know, free will and all.
Reality Check

Anonymous Proxy

#12323 Apr 4, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to deny the existence of dragons and unicorns? The Bible proves that they are real!!!!!!!!!!
And cockatrices too!
Are you trying to deny the existence of rats turning into humans and pigs who can fly, by turning into pigeons? The Origin of Specias proves that they are real!!!!!!!!!!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#12324 Apr 4, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times a day must I write that you are wrong again?
There are no prophecies calling for the crucifixion of the Messiah, nor are there any prophecies that say that he will come, FAIL, and get to come back again for a second chance to get things right.
The Messiah can be recognized only because he has fulfilled all of the prophecies - he is recognized BECAUSE the prophecies have been fulfilled.
Is there peace in the world? Heck, let's look small, and say that the prophecy was ONLY for Israel and not the entire world. Is there everlasting peace in Israel? If the answer is no, then the prophecies have not been fulfilled. End of story, end of the possibility that Jesus was the Messiah.
I will give it a try and maybe you will get it....

Buried in rich man's tomb.....

Isaiah 53:9

9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.

Matthew 27:57-60

57 As evening approached, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who had himself become a disciple of Jesus.

58 Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus’ body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him.

59 Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,

60 and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front of the entrance to the tomb and went away.

Fulfilled.....ABSOLUTELY!!!

Since: Dec 09

Chicago, IL

#12325 Apr 4, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
"exist" is problematic.
Can God create something which He cannot destroy utterly?
Snyper: ""exist" is problematic."

Is it?

Snyper:"Can God create something which He cannot destroy utterly?"

Let's hope so.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#12326 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
God personally and directly commanded and caused each step in creation.
He spoke and it occurred.
Psalm 33:6-9
6 By the word of the Lord the heavens were made,
their starry host by the breath of his mouth.
7 He gathers the waters of the sea into jars;
he puts the deep into storehouses.
8 Let all the earth fear the Lord;
let all the people of the world revere him.
9 For he spoke, and it came to be;
he commanded, and it stood firm.
He was directly involved throughout, then rested only <after> all was created!
I love that fairy tale!
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#12327 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I will give it a try and maybe you will get it....
Buried in rich man's tomb.....
Isaiah 53:9
9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.
Matthew 27:57-60
57 As evening approached, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who had himself become a disciple of Jesus.
58 Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus’ body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him.
59 Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
60 and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front of the entrance to the tomb and went away.
Fulfilled.....ABSOLUTELY!!!
Isaiah 53 is NOT about your Jesus. Ask the people who wrote it.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#12328 Apr 4, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>Indeed, Christians do reap what we sow. We sow truth and reap salvation. You atheists also reap what we sow. We sow truth and you reap the lake of fire. Kinda works out just the way we want it, you know, free will and all.
Really? And just how do you intend to verify your predictions? You plan on checking up on each of us in the after-life, do ya?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12329 Apr 4, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Concerning cosmological evolution, the Church has infallibly defined that the universe was specially created out of nothing. Vatican I solemnly defined that everyone must "confess the world and all things which are contained in it, both spiritual and material, as regards their whole substance, have been produced by God from nothing" (Canons on God the Creator of All Things, canon 5).
The Church does not have an official position on whether the stars, nebulae, and planets we see today were created at that time or whether they developed over time (for example, in the aftermath of the Big Bang that modern cosmologists discuss). However, the Church would maintain that, if the stars and planets did develop over time, this still ultimately must be attributed to God and his plan, for Scripture records: "By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and all their host [stars, nebulae, planets] by the breath of his mouth" (Ps. 33:6).
Concerning biological evolution, the Church does not have an official position on whether various life forms developed over the course of time. However, it says that, if they did develop, then they did so under the impetus and guidance of God, and their ultimate creation must be ascribed to him.
Concerning human evolution, the Church has a more definite teaching. It allows for the possibility that man’s body developed from previous biological forms, under God’s guidance, but it insists on the special creation of his soul. Pope Pius XII declared that "the teaching authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions ... take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter—[but] the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God" (Pius XII, Humani Generis 36). So whether the human body was specially created or developed, we are required to hold as a matter of Catholic faith that the human soul is specially created; it did not evolve, and it is not inherited from our parents, as our bodies are.
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/adam-eve-and-e...
As Pope John Paul said:
"Truth cannot contradict Truth".
Which actually amounts to them saying, "Uh ... I dunno," and wiping the drool from their chins with their lace sleeves.

Ever see this really cool documentary about the Permian-Triassic (P-Tr) Extinction?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12330 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Both ARE great sacrifices.....
John 15:13
13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
You're intentionally avoiding the obvious point.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12331 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
God personally and directly commanded and caused each step in creation.
He spoke and it occurred.
Psalm 33:6-9
6 By the word of the Lord the heavens were made,
their starry host by the breath of his mouth.
7 He gathers the waters of the sea into jars;
he puts the deep into storehouses.
8 Let all the earth fear the Lord;
let all the people of the world revere him.
9 For he spoke, and it came to be;
he commanded, and it stood firm.
He was directly involved throughout, then rested only <after> all was created!
Psalms is NOT prophetic utterence, and that particular passage is called a "panagyric".

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12332 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13933-...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12333 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
It's good to note that you recognize that the "soul" is neither "immortal" of itself, and that there is no "eternal torment" in the future of anyone.

Now back to our grenade question ...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12334 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
David, John, and Peter confirm what Moses said in Gen. 1.
They do not take the accounts as legend or symbols.
They do not picture God as starting the basic process and then just letting it run.
Rather, they show God's personal involvement in each step and each thing created.
To reject this is to deny the whole Scriptures.
Not at all.

It rejects Biblicism.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12335 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmmmmmm.......
So you say and we are suppose to believe you over the Word of God....
Right!
You seem to accept the editorial agenda of Irenaeus of Lugdunum over reality.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12336 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
By that time, it will be too late for you....
Sick game.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12337 Apr 4, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Fear is almost always the driving force behind fundamentalist viewpoints. With religions like xianity, that fear may be based on the cognitive dissonance that is experienced when one tries to reconcile one's beliefs with the facts of what the Bible actually says, and then to reconcile that with the reality that the Bible does not always conform to the real world, especially in its description of things that the Bronze Age shepherds could not possibly have known about. Jesus may have been mystified about where wind comes from, but anyone that has a halfway decent science class back in grade school understands...
VERY fear-motivated and fear-based.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12338 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe in the theory of evolution and believe that man evolved from an ape or a gorilla does that mean that in some way apes and men are brothers?
The theory or evolution would say,“yes, in some ways men and apes are brothers.”
Things of the animal kingdom will reproduce after their own kind.
An ape will produce another ape.
A man and woman will produce another human and there is NEVER the possibility of producing something other than a human.
Not "from" ape". We are a KIND of ape.

Again, have fun with this documentary. I look forward to your thoughts.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12339 Apr 4, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, and that neatly dovetails in with evolution as "natural" selection and survival of the fittest.
Of course, as a friend of mine once pointed out, what is more impressive: a God that has to go "Poof" and do a magic trick for each and every species; or a God that goes "Poof" and magically creates a factory that then manufactures all of the necessary components for each step of the way to culminate in humans at the proper time without the need for further Divine intervention?
It was something to keep the angels amused and out of his hair, buzzing around like gnats "hosanna"-ing him all the time. Vicious little critters, angels. They LIKED the dinosaurs and natural disasters.

Think "ANIMAL PLANET".

One of them, the littlest one, started evolving a sense of compassion. Very un-angelic, indeed. Things got very ... uh ... controversial among the elohim. The compassionate one created a garden, and was determined to demonstrate that not all were brutes, tinkering with their brains.

We all know the rest of the story.

"Now the compassionate one wants to bring some of them into the house ?!?!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 8 min Cock Knocker 68,600
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 17 min RevKen 26,969
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 18 min Lawrence Wolf 3,114
Supreme Court Has 'Tipped Its Hand' In Favor Of... 21 min WasteWater 24
Day After Christmas NE Jade Thread 25 min Wilbur 16
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 43 min Reverend Alan 5,256
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 54 min RevKen 67
ACLU sues to allow gay club in Indiana school 3 hr Reverend Alan 93
More from around the web