Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16103 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#10902 Mar 22, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Not irrelevant at all. Just because you don't like certain facts doesn't make them irrelevant. You see, this all started by your insistence that ONLY your English language Bible is correct.
Never said that. You start off with a BLATANT lie. So much for your credibility.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#10903 Mar 22, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Anitchristian, antifundie, same thing.
Are you gay? Listen up.
"will not inherit the Kingdom of God" "nor homosexuals"
1 Corinthians 6:9 (NKJV)
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,
Still quoting from the Kindergarten Bible?

Don't worry, one day you will encounter puberty.

Location hidden

#10904 Mar 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Still quoting from the Kindergarten Bible?
Don't worry, one day you will encounter puberty.
The reason you can't give an intelligent answer:

You are "perishing" and "blinded".

2 Corinthians 4:3-4 (NKJV)
3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

Location hidden

#10905 Mar 22, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason you can't give an intelligent answer:
You are "perishing" and "blinded".
2 Corinthians 4:3-4 (NKJV)
3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
You'll understand when you're showering and find a hair or two.

It's OK. It's natural. Don't worry.

Location hidden

#10906 Mar 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll understand when you're showering and find a hair or two.
It's OK. It's natural. Don't worry.
It's not difficult to see why God called you "ignorant".

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#10907 Mar 22, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Your question implies a lie.
No, it implies words were added, and that meanings of words sometimes changed with time and context.

In the case of the word "homosexual" in the current translations, he was asking you what actual word was originally used, and replaced with the modern word, and what it meant in the context of the time it was written.

Simple but important question, don't you think? At least, it is if you are going to base all of your judgement on it.

So, answer the question.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10908 Mar 22, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, you are arguing with the Bible, not me. And no matter how much you whine about it, the fact remains that the Bible says VERY clearly that the Law IS perfect and holy, and it is to be followed FOR EVER.
Deuteronomy 4:1 Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you.
4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.
4:3 Your eyes have seen what the LORD did because of Baalpeor: for all the men that followed Baalpeor, the LORD thy God hath destroyed them from among you.
4:4 But ye that did cleave unto the LORD your God are alive every one of you this day.
4:5 Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.
4:6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.
4:7 For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for?
4:8 And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?
"statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law"
Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
<The word translated as "fear" is much closer to the English word "awe" in meaning.>
Psalm 119:150 They draw nigh that follow after mischief: they are far from thy law.
119:151 Thou art near, O LORD; and all thy commandments are truth.
119:152 Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded them for ever.
Psalm 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

(snipped for space)
Me argue with what God has said....not hardly.....

Who was the Law for???

Jesus said,“Do not think that I came to <destroy> the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill”

destroy...

to dissolve, disunite

(what has been joined together), to destroy, demolish

metaph. to overthrow i.e. render vain, deprive of success, bring to naught

to subvert, overthrow

of institutions, forms of government, laws, etc., to deprive of force, annul, abrogate, discard

Do you NOT understand that the Law had a purpose and served its purpose well???

fulfill......

to make full, to fill up, i.e. to fill to the full

to cause to abound, to furnish or supply liberally

I abound, I am liberally supplied

to render full, i.e.~~~~~to complete~~~~~

to fill to the top: so that nothing shall be wanting to full measure, fill to the brim

to consummate: a number

<<<<<to make complete in every particular, to render perfect>>>>>

to carry through to the end, to accomplish, carry out,(some undertaking)

<<<<<to carry into effect, bring to realization, realize>>>>>

of matters of duty: to perform, execute

of sayings, promises, prophecies, <<<<<to bring to pass,>>>>> ratify, accomplish

to fulfil, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and <<<<<God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfillment>>>> > [IN WHICH JESUS DID]

fulfill....the prophecy was answered in full and brought to completion by Jesus Christ....

Again, Who was the Law for???
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10909 Mar 22, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Wrong yet again. Gee, you are doing worse than a stopped clock, you are not even right once a day...
Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, "Go and have lots of sex..."
(I am paraphrasing here. Slightly.)
Can't take a joke, I see....

Location hidden

#10910 Mar 22, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not difficult to see why God called you "ignorant".
Does the God talk to you personally?

That's a good defense. You can get off on an insanity plea.

Location hidden

#10911 Mar 22, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it implies words were added, and that meanings of words sometimes changed with time and context.
In the case of the word "homosexual" in the current translations, he was asking you what actual word was originally used, and replaced with the modern word, and what it meant in the context of the time it was written.
Simple but important question, don't you think? At least, it is if you are going to base all of your judgement on it.
So, answer the question.
Since neither he nor you are expert in Greek it's irrelevant. Every English bible condemns gays to the 'eternal fire'.

Location hidden

#10912 Mar 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you ask an intelligent question?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10913 Mar 22, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
For me to teach him, he would have to come to me.
As far as the law not being stagnant, they have always been subject to interpretation. For example, the commandment to stone the son that curses his parents is not meant to be a death sentence for every pissed off teen. It is a statement that IF things get that bad that a child COULD think of cursing his parents, the parents have failed so badly at raising their kid that they are better off not having any offspring to carry on that bloodline.
Of course, sometimes that gets carried a little too far. For example, compare the modern kosher laws with Bible chapter and verse. The Bible says to not seethe a kid in the milk of its mother. FYI, this was apparently done by some of Israel's neighbors - a live kid would be boiled alive in front of its mother using milk taken from its own mother.
This commandment was "expanded" upon, first so that no one would eat kid meat and have any milk from its mother, then no kid was cooked in ANY goat's milk, then no animal was eaten with any milk from that species of animal, and THEN it was expanded still further so that no meat was eaten with any dairy at the same meal, and now, observant Jews will not eat meat and have dairy within several HOURS of one another. Can't have a steak for dinner and then ice cream for dessert.
None of that is in the Bible. In fact, when the angels showed up to discuss the nuking of Sodom with Abraham, he fed them on beef and butter.
When something is made completely full by a task, the task is finished.

The Law was completed by Jesus Christ.

The Law was unable to give its followers (spiritual) life.

Galatians 3:21

21 Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, <<<<<then righteousness would certainly have come by the law.>>>>>
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10914 Mar 22, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
The first sentence in your post (emphasis mine) demonstrates the fundamental flaw in your argument. He CLAIMED. Well, that's nice, but without evidence to support the claim, nobody has any reason to accept the claim as true. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In the absence of such evidence, the claim is rejected until such evidence is presented. That's how RATIONAL people operate.
When you stand before God then you can argue your point.....

As of now, I have NO problem with what God says....

Location hidden

#10915 Mar 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
He does. And He talks to you too.

Revelation 21:8 (NKJV)
8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#10916 Mar 22, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
If " Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" then you are going to have to reject evolution, the big bang and black holes to name a few things that have no "extraordinary evidence".
Let's concede, for the sake of argument, that the claims of evolutionary theory were extraordinary (which they are not), and that they had no equally extraordinary to support them (which they do), and the same for the big bang and black holes.

What makes "God did it with magic" a viable explanation for anything? Just present your evidence. You say it's true, I just want you to back it up. Go ahead.

Waiting for this to occur: http://youtu.be/iQeiKYqCETk

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#10917 Mar 22, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
When you stand before God then you can argue your point.....
As of now, I have NO problem with what God says....
And, when you stand before the Flying Spaghetti Monster then you can argue YOUR point.

Equally pointless statements. "You'll see when you die" isn't a valid argument of any kind. All it does is show that you have nothing to support your claims.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#10918 Mar 22, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
When something is made completely full by a task, the task is finished.
The Law was completed by Jesus Christ.
The Law was unable to give its followers (spiritual) life.
Galatians 3:21
21 Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, <<<<<then righteousness would certainly have come by the law.>>>>>
WHICH law was completed? Please, be specific.
moki

Margate, UK

#10919 Mar 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What 'god' really said is 'I wish I was as AWESOME as River!'
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10921 Mar 22, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Amos 3:1 Hear this word that the LORD hath spoken against you, O children of Israel, against the whole family which I brought up from the land of Egypt, saying,
3:2 You only have I known of all the families of the earth...
"You ONLY have I known...
We have a relationship with God as His children:

Galatians 3:26

26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith,
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10922 Mar 22, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholicism is no worse than any other form of christianity. It has just as much Biblical authority for its beliefs and teachings as all the rest.
Oh my.....

I will leave this one alone....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 16 min TheTrioSpamGroup 5,585
Memorial Day With NE Jade 19 min Frankie Rizzo 24
Are the mods fair and balanced? 28 min RnL2008 820
News Republic of Ireland votes for equal marriage 54 min NorCal Native 47
News Boy Scouts' leader speaks out on gay adults ban 1 hr NoahLovesU 55
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 1 hr NoahLovesU 33,160
News What does Ireland vote say about US debate on g... 2 hr Prosperity Fundie... 8
News 60 Percent: Record Number Of Americans Support ... 3 hr WeTheSheeple 209
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 7 hr WasteWater 21,568
More from around the web