Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against ...

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16101 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#4416 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Smart your not. If you read what scholars have said you would know that they can reconstruct over 95% of what the original said.
No, they can reconstruct what the oldest existing manuscripts said, NOT what the ORIGINAL said. And, how do you know that even the original was an accurate transcription of the original stories that were passed down by oral tradition? Oh, right...you don't.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#4417 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is what the Catholic church teaches on homosexuality from its catechism:
"2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved."
Do you approve of homosexuality? Are you encouraging it. Keep in mind that the RCC calls it a sin. Do you?
http://www.buddybuddy.com/quiz-1.html

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#4418 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Same sex marriages have not occurred in the RCC. Where is it approved of in the catechism or in any of its councils?
Maybe not in churches but in MANY so called 'Catholic' countries it IS legal. What does the pope do about that? NOTHING.=)

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4419 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Same sex marriages have not occurred in the RCC. Where is it approved of in the catechism or in any of its councils?
But the Catholic imagination sees God everywhere, believes that God reveals Godself in all things and understands God can work through any human being or human relationship. By insisting that genital complementarity is an absolute requirement for marriage, the hierarchy places limits on God's power to work within all of the relationships of all God's beloved children.

Those who possess a sacramental view of the world often realize that any human person or relationship that brings love, mercy, forgiveness, kindness, generosity or faithfulness into the world is a sign of God's grace. Perhaps this is the reason so many Catholics defend marriage equality: They have recognized these graces can come forth as much through same-sex couples as heterosexual couples. Those who have a Catholic imagination recognize that a couple's ability to enter into a marriage commitment is not contingent on their anatomies, but on the depth, strength and fruitfulness of their bond.
http://ncronline.org/blogs/grace-margins/why-...

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4420 Feb 8, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>You know, you are right!
Perhaps this is because God had already placed something within each of us, and 'this' leads us all our lives toward God.
If we listen to it and follow.
:)
Oh, I want to add something from Catechism on that:
1782 Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions. "He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters."53
- Catholic Catechism, Moral Conscience.
I believe it is something along those lines.

If God left us with a perfect rulebook - what would be the point of life? You would just follow the rules. There could be no exceptions, no gray areas, no learning and no growth. We would just live to play a part. There would be no point in an active and prayerful living relationship with God because all the answers would be in the book.

Many of these strict right-wingers probably assume I throw the baby out with the bath water, which is not the case. I believe most versions of the bible are a starting point. I think they are meant to make you think, and question, and pray on your questions. I think there are themes repeated so often that they are reasonably taken as a message, but if you are trying to take one sentence and use it out of context, you are asking for trouble.

For example, the Old Testament laid out a bunch of rules. Then when you read about Jesus, at least to me it was surprising the first time, because He was not so much about the rules. One of his thematic messages was basically, "Sure, follow the rules for the most part, but use common sense as well." i.e. if your sheep falls in a ditch on the Sabbath, that doesn't mean let it die because you're not supposed to work on the Sabbath. Those who can, do.

Which fits perfectly with the notion that the vast majority of men in the world will marry women. Those who can, do.

Those who can't, do the best you can. i.e. you can still love and marry and contribute to your community and/or raise children if you choose.

In my opinion, most of the fundies are still at the beginner stage of faith. They haven't been forced to do any hard work or challenge anything.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4421 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
The Word of God aka the Holy Bible teaches that most people will reject the narrow way of following Jesus and will follow Satan in the wide path to Hell.
Matthew 7:13-14
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
That's right - MOST people.

The churches that truly follow Him are the minority.

You sir, are in the majority false church.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4422 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Smart your not. If you read what scholars have said you would know that they can reconstruct over 95% of what the original said.
OK, for everyone else - I don't talk to this "Jeff" person - I cut him off recently...

but I find this sentence just so yummy it needed to be highlighted:

"Smart your not."

LOL!!!
OKAY

Houston, TX

#4423 Feb 8, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
<quoted text>You know your posts are being read by many? Why make a complete fool out of yourself in public? Come on, grow up and start acting your age.
You know your posts are being read by many? Why make a complete fool out of yourself in public? Come on, grow up and start acting your age.
OKAY

Houston, TX

#4424 Feb 8, 2013
Oh that's right, you are.
OKAY

Houston, TX

#4425 Feb 8, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I do act like a 6 yr old!
No Doubt.
OKAY

Houston, TX

#4426 Feb 8, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>I bet your father is pissed that he didn't pull out earlier. You could have been a stain
Just because the best part of you ran down your mama's crack.
OKAY

Houston, TX

#4427 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you ever a non-human fetus?
If I were a betting person.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#4428 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
The only ones that look like a fool on here is you and the other unbelievers. You guys prove post after post how little you understand and fathom even the simplest things of the Holy Bible.
It's really quite sad and pathetic. You guys have to resort to all out lying since you reject the obvious truth of the scriptures.
Reading your post reminds me a lot of the baptist minister at the church I attended as a child. You think everyone who does not believe as you do is destined to an eternity in hell.I don't believe that.
If a person is a non believer, does that make them a criminal? no
If a person is a non believer, does that mean that they do no good in the world? no
If a person IS a believer, but is a bigot who judges others constantly and doesn't show love for their fellow man who does not believe as they do, does that make you a true believer?? Again the answer is no.
To be honest. I know many atheist that are far more christ like in their dealings with people than so many " Christians"
A true love of Christ is shown in deed not words. You can use your religion to puff yourself up, make you feel good but until you use those beliefs to reach out to people with love in your heart, your words mean nothing.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#4429 Feb 8, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
<quoted text>IF you are the REAL 'rainbow kid'.. you had better read that bullshit post AGAIN.. this time CAREFULLY! IF you are a fundie imposter troll... Go F yourself!
I can't find it. What is the number of the post?

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#4430 Feb 8, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually there are other versions of Religion and even Christianity......otherwise there would not be any Fundamentalist/Born-Again Christians......but somehow you folks think that your beliefs are all that matter and they aren't!!!
You do know that his name NEVER was Jesus Christ.....it was simply Jesus and he is nothing more than the SON of God, not God, right?
Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah...... Immanuel (God with us). Jesus is the ONLY way into Heaven. This is the only thing that matters. You won't get into Heaven without Him.

Jazybird58

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#4431 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah...... Immanuel (God with us). Jesus is the ONLY way into Heaven. This is the only thing that matters. You won't get into Heaven without Him.
Not according to other religions. Now what makes your right?

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#4432 Feb 8, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Not according to other religions. Now what makes your right?
Everything else is Satanism. Every religion is Satanism. Every atheist is a Satanist. Every agnostic is a Satanist. Every Buddhist is a Satanist. Every Hindu is a Satanist.

Every single person that doesn't believe that JESUS CHRIST IS THE ONLY WAY INTO HEAVEN is a Satanist!

Quit following a condemned fallen angel, Satan......and come to Jesus Christ for the remission of sins!

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4433 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything else is Satanism. Every religion is Satanism. Every atheist is a Satanist. Every agnostic is a Satanist. Every Buddhist is a Satanist. Every Hindu is a Satanist.
Every single person that doesn't believe that JESUS CHRIST IS THE ONLY WAY INTO HEAVEN is a Satanist!
Quit following a condemned fallen angel, Satan......and come to Jesus Christ for the remission of sins!
There are Truths to be found in all religions/faiths.
God put them there.

Jazybird58

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#4434 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Not according to my god. Why do you think your religion is better than mine? My book says your wrong

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

Manalapan, FL

#4435 Feb 8, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>There are Truths to be found in all religions/faiths.
God put them there.
Kettle meet pot because you make your faith up as you go along Nutty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 9 min Flower4985 23,877
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 14 min Jade Dragon Soy S... 4,943
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 33 min tbird19482 44,013
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 48 min Jade Dragon Soy S... 69,498
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 2 hr Big Donald Fan 12,607
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 2 hr Rose_NoHo 193
News Homosexuality against natural law (Sep '09) 5 hr The Worlds Bigges... 1,431
News Jennifer Holliday withdraws from Trump pre-inag... 11 hr Imprtnrd 28
More from around the web