Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 20 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#4376 Feb 8, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the majority are and will continue to be "the false church" where people like you convince each other that loving thy neighbor means denying legal status to their marriages in a country where everyone is supposed to be free and equal - among other blasphemous atrocities.
I love my "neighbor" so much that I wish to spend eternity in Heaven with you. Jesus will forgive you of your sins, if you come to Him with a truly repentant heart and ask.

But marriage was and will always be between a MAN and a WOMAN. That's not even debatable.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#4377 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus Christ is the ONLY way into Heaven. It doesn't get any simpler than this.
John 3:36- He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Thats not what the Jews, Muslims, well 2/3 rds of the world says. Why is YOUR version of Christianity better than all others?

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#4378 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a Holy Spirit filled, saved child of the living God......I understand the scriptures just fine. It's the unbelievers that have proven to not understand it at all.
1 Corinthians 1:18- For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
Just because I do not believe in your god or book of gibberish does not mean that I don't understand it.

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#4379 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
I love my "neighbor" so much that I wish to spend eternity in Heaven with you. Jesus will forgive you of your sins, if you come to Him with a truly repentant heart and ask.
But marriage was and will always be between a MAN and a WOMAN. That's not even debatable.
Why no debate? I am not a christian, I fail to see why two men or two women cant be married.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4380 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
It's quite the opposite. Us Christians have to hold your hand and keep explaining EVERY single thing to you. I couldn't simplify my posts any more than what I have been doing.
Posting with you Topix unbelievers gives me a new appreciation for pre-school and kindergarten teachers. The saddest thing is you people call yourselves adults........
If you were intelligent, you would know to use "We Christians" rather than "Us Christians."

You're not explaining every little thing to us; you're only arguing your own side. Do you think you've said anything we haven't heard before?

This is your opportunity to learn from us, not the other way around. Other than that, you have no use here.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4381 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus Christ is the ONLY way into Heaven. It doesn't get any simpler than this.
John 3:36- He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
I believe that as well. However I am also aware of several things:

While God may be infallible, I am not. I may fundamentally misunderstand something. I know for a fact I fundamentally misunderstood some things until I learned. So I know it's quite probable that I don't have every last detail correct. Likewise, it's quite probable you don't either.

The difference is I approach that matter with humility; you approach it with arrogance.

I also know for a fact that God could have preserved an original intact bible if He wanted to. He didn't. That means He didn't want to. That, and the fact that simple logic dictates that no one language can be perfectly translated into another means that at best any version of the bible can be used for perspective and context, but not for a verbatim rule book to be held over each others' heads, nor to be worshipped as an idol.

Reading any version of the bible CAN be helpful and inspire prayer.

But studying it as a way of dictating others' behavior is like becoming an attorney who will never see the judge. Arguing your case to other attorneys in the hallway doesn't get you anywhere. Only the judge matters. And He is not giving you a court date. One day we will all know the truth, and at that point no argument will matter. Or we will just be dead and no truth will be realized.

You would do well to realize and acknowledge that no matter how sure you feel about something, you may be wrong. And keep that in mind when holding your beliefs against others' lives.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4382 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
But your statement isn't factual, as there are periods in the history of a number of cultures where same sex couples were seen as being married to one another, even the Catholic and Orthodox Churches offered "brotherment" to male couples, which wed them as such for life. You have merely stated a choice of beliefs, which isn't even factually accurate and cast it as uneatable. Sorry, although you have chosen to believe in a version of God which won't approve of such marriages, that doesn't mean that those of us who choose to believe differently than yourself have to defer to your choice.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4383 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but God has preserved His Word just as promised. You are angry because it still speaks out against sinful lifestyles. Tough!
No matter how much you or I may or may not wish that were true, we know without any doubt that He has not preserved His Word.

There is simply no argument to the contrary. The original does not exist. Period.

The translations can never be proven accurate because they can never be compared to the original.

That might not matter if it were simply a novel. But if you are talking about the Word of God I would think you would want accuracy - unless that's too inconvenient for you, or too difficult a concept. Any old translation is "good enough" when it comes to God's Word? Really? And you'll gamble your soul on "close enough?"

I won't.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4384 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just something you tell yourself to justify your prejudice and make you feel better about yourself.

You need to do this because you know your behavior is representative of "the bad guy" in every book or movie ever made, in public consciousness, in law and in everything else.

Don't try to teach me about Jesus. I know Him. Are you fool enough to think that because I am gay I don't repent for my sins and ask forgiveness?

Being gay isn't one of them.

If you truly live by faith, you know when you are following God's plan. You know when you are trusting Him and when you are fighting Him.

Trying to be straight was fighting Him. My life has been nothing but blessed since I fully trusted Him and the fact that He had a reason for making me gay. And there is no doubt He brought me and my husband together to take care of each other til death do us part.

I don't just believe in Jesus, I live by His spirit. You are the one who takes positions that represent evil.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4385 Feb 8, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how much you or I may or may not wish that were true, we know without any doubt that He has not preserved His Word.
There is simply no argument to the contrary. The original does not exist. Period.
The translations can never be proven accurate because they can never be compared to the original.
That might not matter if it were simply a novel. But if you are talking about the Word of God I would think you would want accuracy - unless that's too inconvenient for you, or too difficult a concept. Any old translation is "good enough" when it comes to God's Word? Really? And you'll gamble your soul on "close enough?"
I won't.
Smart your not. If you read what scholars have said you would know that they can reconstruct over 95% of what the original said.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4386 Feb 8, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>But your statement isn't factual, as there are periods in the history of a number of cultures where same sex couples were seen as being married to one another, even the Catholic and Orthodox Churches offered "brotherment" to male couples, which wed them as such for life. You have merely stated a choice of beliefs, which isn't even factually accurate and cast it as uneatable. Sorry, although you have chosen to believe in a version of God which won't approve of such marriages, that doesn't mean that those of us who choose to believe differently than yourself have to defer to your choice.
Here is what the Catholic church teaches on homosexuality from its catechism:
"2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved."

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4387 Feb 8, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't.
You know, you are right!
Perhaps this is because God had already placed something within each of us, and 'this' leads us all our lives toward God.
If we listen to it and follow.
:)
Oh, I want to add something from Catechism on that:

1782 Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions. "He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters."53
- Catholic Catechism, Moral Conscience.

#4388 Feb 8, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Thats not what the Jews, Muslims, well 2/3 rds of the world says. Why is YOUR version of Christianity better than all others?
The Word of God aka the Holy Bible teaches that most people will reject the narrow way of following Jesus and will follow Satan in the wide path to Hell.

Matthew 7:13-14
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#4389 Feb 8, 2013
All that truly matters: www.scribd.com/doc/31322017 ...

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#4390 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
The Word of God aka the Holy Bible teaches that most people will reject the narrow way of following Jesus and will follow Satan in the wide path to Hell.
Matthew 7:13-14
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Still missing the boat.
Why is YOUR version of Christianity better than all others?
What makes your religion/god any more valid than any other????
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4391 Feb 8, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>You know, you are right!
Perhaps this is because God had already placed something within each of us, and 'this' leads us all our lives toward God.
If we listen to it and follow.
:)
Oh, I want to add something from Catechism on that:
1782 Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions. "He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters."53
- Catholic Catechism, Moral Conscience.
"2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved."

Do you approve of homosexuality? Are you encouraging it. Keep in mind that the RCC calls it a sin. Do you?

#4392 Feb 8, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Still missing the boat.
Why is YOUR version of Christianity better than all others?
What makes your religion/god any more valid than any other????
There is no version of Christianity. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life; NO ONE comes to the Father but by Him.

I don't have religion, I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#4393 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no version of Christianity. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life; NO ONE comes to the Father but by Him.
I don't have religion, I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Why do you bemoan Catholics? They to are christians. Why is Christianity better than Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Druidism etc???

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4394 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
I am aware of what the Catechism teaches now dear, but we are talking about what they were actually doing in the Middle Ages, remember?

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#4395 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
It's quite the opposite. Us Christians have to hold your hand and keep explaining EVERY single thing to you. I couldn't simplify my posts any more than what I have been doing.
Posting with you Topix unbelievers gives me a new appreciation for pre-school and kindergarten teachers. The saddest thing is you people call yourselves adults........
Sorry, but you really have it all wrong.......IF you were a "TRUE/REAL" Christian, you'd know what God's true message is and that it DOESN'T come from some book that was written by mere men to control the masses.......just as you try to use that same mythical book to control those who don't believe as you do today........by judging them and condemning them even though you have NO AUTHORITY to do so.

Most Adults think for themselves, even those who are "TRUE/REAL" Christians can do that and they also know God's true message and pass that message along as is their duty under the guidance of God......you have shown that you have no ability to think for yourself, you THINK that YOU know more than God and figure that if folks don't believe like you, then you will beat them into submission or banish them to hell!!!

Sorry RR, but in this Country a Citizen HAS THE RIGHT to believe differently than you or not to believe at all if they so choose to.......and though most accept your right to believe as you see fit, you can't seem to do the same......try learning a little compassion and humility......it might make you appear more Christ-like!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 2 min NorCal Native 59,617
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 2 min Blackburn 32,372
News Mama Dragons lead the fight for their gay Mormo... 19 min Belle Sexton 21
News Ben Carson joins 2016 race 22 min Belle Sexton 32
News Gay marriage foe's argument seems to leave Supr... 25 min Fa-Foxy 124
News The right therapy for LGBT youth 31 min HumanSpirit 3
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 31 min Wall 3,125
Are the mods fair and balanced? 1 hr DebraE 840
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 hr Rick in Kansas 20,686
News 8 Shocking Statements Opponents Of Marriage Equ... 7 hr Lawrence Wolf 90
More from around the web