Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against ...

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16103 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4229 Feb 7, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage establishes legal kinship
.
Brother and sister are already legally kin; so marriage is redundant
If we are going to change the definition which same sex marriage requires we can accommodate siblings and group marriages quite easily. If love is enough to justify same sex marriage then we must offer it to all kinds of situations where love is present. Right?
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4230 Feb 7, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
David and Jonathan were not married, nor were they anything more than close friends. They were like brothers.
You don't understand that people can be close friends (like David and Jonathan were) without committing perverted sex acts?
You don't understand that people can change in front of each other without breaking out in a perverted sex act?
Remember: there is more than one fool here.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4231 Feb 7, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't say anything about the fetus being part of her body. Try actually reading a post before you respond to it.
If the fetus is in her body its part of her body.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4232 Feb 7, 2013
victoria1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do the brother and sister plan on reproducing? That could be problematic. Incestuous marriage is already legal in many places, however some only allow it if they couple cannot reproduce, for reasons I'm sure I don't have explain.
Lets say they don't want to reproduce. Should they be allowed to marry to if they love each other?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#4233 Feb 7, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Check this out and tell me that homosexual sex is healthy:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/docs/2012...
That's not what I said. Read what I said.

Should a married heterosexual couple be forced to divorce if the wife reaches menopause?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#4236 Feb 7, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
If we are going to change the definition which same sex marriage requires we can accommodate siblings and group marriages quite easily. If love is enough to justify same sex marriage then we must offer it to all kinds of situations where love is present. Right?
That's the argument that was made against allowing inter-racial marriage. Is there any other bigotry you'd like to perpetuate?

First, there's the "slippery slope" idea, which says that if we allow gay marriage, we have to allow all kinds of stuff. Rick Santorum used this idea to make his infamous "man on dog" case against gay marriage. But the argument was made by R. D. McIlwaine III, then Virginia's assistant attorney general, in Loving v. the State of Virginia, the 1967 Supreme Court case that overturned miscegenation laws:

It is clear from the most recent available evidence on the psycho-sociological aspect of this question that intermarried families are subjected to much greater pressures and problems then those of the intermarried and that the state's prohibition of interracial marriage for this reason stands on the same footing as the prohibition of polygamous marriage, or incestuous marriage or the prescription of minimum ages at which people may marry and the prevention of the marriage of people who are mentally incompetent.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/...
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#4237 Feb 7, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Check this out and tell me that homosexual sex is healthy:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/docs/2012...
No problem!
.
The CDC makes a solid case for gay marriage:
++++++++++
"Only have sex (i.e., anal, vaginal or oral) if youÂ’re in a
mutually monogamous relationship with a partner you
know is not infected"
++++++++++
And the CDC also breaks out with this safe practice tip:
++++++++++
"Use a condom every time you have anal, vaginal or oral sex"
sex"
++++++++++
.
Rock on; CDC! ;o))

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#4238 Feb 7, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
If the fetus is in her body its part of her body.
Is that gum you are chewing part of your body?

Just admit you didn't actually read my post, you just glanced over it, then responded to it with a standard fundie line.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#4239 Feb 7, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. Then you should have no problem with an adult brother and sister marrying either or a group marriage. If all you need is love then all things are permitted.
Why should polygamy be prohibited?
Why should marriages between the elderly, or the infirmed, or the infertile, or those who refuse to procreate be prohibited?
Where is the requirement of procreation mentioned in any of the marriage laws throughout the country?
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4240 Feb 7, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what I said. Read what I said.
Should a married heterosexual couple be forced to divorce if the wife reaches menopause?
No.

Should a brother and sister be allowed to marry if they love each other?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#4241 Feb 7, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
If the fetus is a male and is a different blood type is it still part of her body?
Is it connected to her body? It is either part of her body or, in the most clinical of terms, a parasite.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#4242 Feb 7, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
If the fetus is in her body its part of her body.
So, you're saying women don't have sovereignty over their own bodies.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#4243 Feb 7, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Should a brother and sister be allowed to marry if they love each other?
Why shouldn't a married heterosexual couple be forced to divorce when the wife hits menopause?
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4244 Feb 7, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the argument that was made against allowing inter-racial marriage. Is there any other bigotry you'd like to perpetuate?
First, there's the "slippery slope" idea, which says that if we allow gay marriage, we have to allow all kinds of stuff. Rick Santorum used this idea to make his infamous "man on dog" case against gay marriage. But the argument was made by R. D. McIlwaine III, then Virginia's assistant attorney general, in Loving v. the State of Virginia, the 1967 Supreme Court case that overturned miscegenation laws:
It is clear from the most recent available evidence on the psycho-sociological aspect of this question that intermarried families are subjected to much greater pressures and problems then those of the intermarried and that the state's prohibition of interracial marriage for this reason stands on the same footing as the prohibition of polygamous marriage, or incestuous marriage or the prescription of minimum ages at which people may marry and the prevention of the marriage of people who are mentally incompetent.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/...
We got the time to see if group marriage, inter-family marriage and polygamy will become a reality some day. When we have a country of leaders that are willing and able to change the definition of marriage to accommodate homosexuals in their goal of "marriage" then anything is possible. We already know this is possible.
Its the "mentally incompetent" that are promoting same sex marriage. They have already succeeded in legalizing murder via abortions so their is no reason to think they will stop here.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4245 Feb 7, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it connected to her body? It is either part of her body or, in the most clinical of terms, a parasite.
Do you what an umbilical cord is? Do you know its function?
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4246 Feb 7, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you're saying women don't have sovereignty over their own bodies.
They do. Its just that the fetus is not her body. That she does not have the right to kill.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4247 Feb 7, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why shouldn't a married heterosexual couple be forced to divorce when the wife hits menopause?
You tell me.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#4248 Feb 7, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Should a brother and sister be allowed to marry if they love each other?
People love their pets too. Why not allow man-dog marriage or woman-dog or man-cat or woman-cat..........hey Fido loves me and I love him.

That's why the scriptures are clear that marriage is between a MAN and a WOMAN.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#4249 Feb 7, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember: there is more than one fool here.
And repetitive fools at that. Next up will be the.... "bible says the earth is a flat circle" posts again.

How anyone can turn the great friendship story of David and Jonathan into some perverted gay sex act is beyond comprehensible!

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4250 Feb 7, 2013
Jeff wrote:
No.
Should a brother and sister be allowed to marry if they love each other?
Sorry buttercup, it really doesn't matter if they should be allowed to marry or not, the state has a compelling interest in maintaining marriage as the establishment of a kinship where one does not already exist. Brothers and sisters, who already have a legal kinship have no right to the preferential one established by marriage. Since you can't beat strict scrutiny, there will never be a legal right to incestuous marriage, whether there should be or not. You and your sister will have to be content to shacking up in the eyes of the state, sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 10 min NoahLovesU 22,799
News Conservative churches confront new reality on g... 11 min Alex - Infowars d... 28
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 18 min Mark 52,005
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 18 min Pietro Armando 6,976
News An East Tennessee store owner put up a 'No Gays... 20 min Deja Vu all over ... 35
News Governors vow to fight SCOTUS ruling on gay mar... 23 min WasteWater 477
News Conservative Republicans question what's next a... 26 min Imprtnrd 100
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 33 min Rainbow Kid 99
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 46 min lides 5,710
More from around the web