Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against ...

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16101 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“Maiden of Mayhem”

Since: May 08

OMFUG

#3942 Feb 6, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautiful. This weirdo seems to think it isn't possible for some reason. I just spent a week vacationing with my sister and her 3 adult children. All successful, beautiful young adults with bright futures, humanist views and positive outlooks.
Kudos to ur son for writing about WBC..I read today that 2 more phelps family members defected from the church. They said they actually prayed for people to die.
I read that too. She also said they believe if you're not a member WBC you will go to hell. Funny how that sounds like someone that was recently banned.... again.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#3943 Feb 6, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
<quoted text>link?
http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2013/02/06/1...

“ ILKS r kewl ”

Since: Apr 09

Conch republic

#3944 Feb 6, 2013
victoria1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I read that too. She also said they believe if you're not a member WBC you will go to hell. Funny how that sounds like someone that was recently banned.... again.
Ya mean "native'penny" and her new sock?

“ ILKS r kewl ”

Since: Apr 09

Conch republic

#3946 Feb 6, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol.. The sparkley, blue-eyed Jesus guy got booted again? He must be in full blown withdrawals right now.
SHE!.. she was a she.. its penny aka born again (fill in the blank) and she's having a hissy fit tonight too!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3948 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
Sorry, Jeff, but the Regnerus survey has been discreditied by the APA. It didn't stand up to peer review, nor meet the validity criteria of Social Science research.

Since: Apr 11

Panorama City, CA

#3949 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many reasons to be against same sex marriage.
Then name one!

Since: Apr 11

Panorama City, CA

#3950 Feb 6, 2013
Coltraine wrote:
You know what I'm tire of? I'm tired of liberal LGBTs who cry loud for equality and tolerance and who constantly decry the intolerance of others and yet, YET, are utterly and wholly intolerant themselves of ANYONE who doesn't think being gay is the best thing since learning two walk on two legs. Oh, they want everyone else to be tolerant of their viewpoints and life choices, but if your views happen to be contrary to theirs then you're a hate spewing, inflammatory speech breathing, predjudiced SOB. If you can believe that homosexuality is good and natural, I have the right to believe the opposite.
And since you believe the opposite, that means you are a hate spewing, inflammatory speech breathing, predjudiced SOB.
Coltraine wrote:

If you're religion says it's what will get you to heaven(it's not), then I have a right to believe in a religion that says you're going to burn in hell for eternity.
And I can believe in Santa, but he's still a myth.
Coltraine wrote:
If they can be for gay marriage, I can say that marriage should only be for a man and woman.
And there are people who believe it should only be for a man and woman of the same race. But that belief makes them bigots.
Coltraine wrote:
But that's not how the gays want it. They want anyone who says anything negative about homosexuality to be vilified and ostracized in the media and community. They don't want equal rights, they want special rights. They want to completely shut up the Christian right. Screw that. If they can have their beliefs and not be hate spewers for mocking my God, I can say their actions goes against God and nature without spewing hate.
Why is spewing hate the most important thing to you fundies?

Location hidden

#3951 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what is bad:
"• Are much more likely to have received welfare growing up (IBF 17%; LM 69%; GF 57%)
• Have lower educational attainment (IBF 3.19; LM 2.39; GF 2.64)
• Report less safety and security in their family of origin (IBF 4.13; LM 3.12; GF 3.25)
• Report more ongoing "negative impact" from their family of origin (IBF 2.30; LM 3.13; GF 2.90)
• Are more likely to suffer from depression (IBF 1.83; LM 2.20; 2.18)
• Have been arrested more often (IBF 1.18; LM 1.68; GF 1.75)
• If they are female, have had more sexual partners-both male (IBF 2.79; LM 4.02; GF 5.92) and female (IBF 0.22; LM 1.04; GF 1.47)"
HOMOSEXUAL PARENT STUDY
Summary of Findings
Peter Sprigg
The criteria used to select the sample were bogus, Jeff.

At your local Junior College you should be able to take at least a survey course on research methodology for the Social Sciences. If you understand what you learn there, you'll see why the Regnerus survey is bogus.

A course in Logic would help, too, because it would expose you to "Fallacies" and "Biases".

These can get you started, but are far from complete:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitiv...

Memorize and understand these. It will change your life. You will never look at an argument, a political speech, a newspaper article or research report in the same way again.

Make flashcards. lol
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3952 Feb 6, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you retarded?
I asked if children should be taken from single-parent households and given to married heterosexual couples. You said:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
They are not blood.
Answer the question.
But, you DO support taking children away from single-parent households and giving them to married heterosexual couples.
Why shouldn't they be taken away for divorce or abandonment? For that matter, are there any other reasons for which children shouldn't be taken from single-parent households? For which reasons should they be? Please be specific.
You are truly dense. If the children are biological children of the single parent they should not be taken away. Where did I say that I "support taking children away from single-parent households and giving them to married heterosexual couples"?

Location hidden

#3953 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff, if you like, we can go through your laundry list and I can show you, point by point, why those things do not mean what they appear to mean as presented.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#3954 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You are truly dense. If the children are biological children of the single parent they should not be taken away. Where did I say that I "support taking children away from single-parent households and giving them to married heterosexual couples"?
I already admitted my misunderstanding.

You said only in cases of abandonment or divorce should the children not be removed. So, for instance, if a woman decides to have children out of wedlock, you support taking the children away and giving them to married heterosexual couples, right? I can only assume that you're being honest when you say the things you say. Maybe if you didn't continuously say such foolish things, I wouldn't be forced to believe that you think such foolish things. Clarify if you like, but I'm quite sure you believe exactly what I believe you believe.

Why should the elderly be banned from marriage? More to the point, what legally valid reason do you have to support such a ban?
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3955 Feb 6, 2013
snyper wrote:
Jeff, if you like, we can go through your laundry list and I can show you, point by point, why those things do not mean what they appear to mean as presented.
Tell you what: why don't you give a positive list 10 things of being a homosexual then we can discuss them.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3956 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Divorce should be a lot harder and more needs to be done to keep couples together. Its far to easy to walk away.
If you were smarter, you'd realize more work needs to be put into it BEFORE you get married. You have to make sure you're getting married for the right reasons, have similar and realistic expectations, and don't allow for divorce as an option.

That's what we did. But we take marriage seriously.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3957 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Children born out of wedlock don't do as well.
That's a generalization. You cannot say ALL children born out of wedlock don't do as well...and as well as whom?

I'm sure there are plenty of children born of married parents who have awful lives that are worse than many children born out of wedlock.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3958 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't take them away if divorce-abandonment or death is the cause of the single parent.
Your positions are inconsistent. Fail.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3959 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are the stats to back your claims up? Show me via stats that overall HIV, AIDs and STD's go down because of same sex marriage.
Fail.

Over.

Ignore.

Location hidden

#3960 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell you what: why don't you give a positive list 10 things of being a homosexual then we can discuss them.
Actually, let's talk science and facts, NOT subjective opinion.

That laundry list you posted can be examined by these criteria, and something can be learned by doing so.

I don't have time to spend on the other.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#3961 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I try, and I'm not even gay:
1. They don't breed welfare babies.
2. On a average, they make more money than straight people.
3. They don't join groups/gangs and beat up straight people for being straight.
4. I can trust them not to hit on my wife.
5. They run the fashion industry, showing that as a people, they have creative minds, and have great taste.
6. They are accepting of all except those who openly hate them.
7. They pay a lot of taxes.
8. Jesus loves them.
9. I love them.
10. They return the love.

Jazybird58

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#3962 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell you what: why don't you give a positive list 10 things of being a heterosexual then we can discuss them.

Homosexual attributes

1 Being Honest, Truthful, Trustworthy
2 Having Integrity—
3 Being Caring/ Compassionate/ Benevolent—
4 Doing One’s Civic Duty
5 Having Courage
6 Being Willing to Sacrifice
7 Maintaining Self-Control
8 Being just and Fair
9 Being Cooperative
10 Being Persevering
11 Keeping Promises
12 Doing no harm—
13 Pursuing excellence
14 Taking personal responsibility
15 Having Empathy
16 Benefiting others
17 Having Respect for others
18 Having Patience
19 Being Forgiving
20 Making Peace
21 Having Fidelity/ Loyal
22 Respecting Autonomy
23 Being Tolerant
24 Having Self-respect

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#3963 Feb 6, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Give us a positive list of 10 things about having facial tattoos and then we can discuss why people with facial tattoos should be allowed to marry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay pride assembly at Virginia Beach school pos... 1 min Mitts Gold Taliblets 9
News Slovenians vote on whether to uphold same-sex m... (Dec '15) 1 min fathiwady 13
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... 2 min TomInElPaso 2,099
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 8 min Harry Hay 4,713
News Were 'Fixer Upper' Stars Chip and Joanna Gaines... 36 min Mitts Gold Taliblets 13
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 37 min lides 22,463
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 43 min lides 42,866
More from around the web