Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against ...

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16102 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#3735 Feb 5, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
God is patient and doesn't want any of us to perish......in fact, us Christians were at one time just like you unbelievers before we got saved. I mocked and hated Christians (the real ones that shared the gospel) before I got saved.
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9
LOL that verse you quoted was written to try and gloss over the fact that Jesus was a failed prophet. Jesus claimed that the End of Days were about to start within the lifetime of people standing in his audience. Fail. Paul repeated this. Again: fail. So, by the time someone wrote the Peter letters, they knew that they had to come up with something to cover over this error.

#3736 Feb 5, 2013
Seriously__ wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, the breakdown of traditional family began to happen in the 50's and 60's long before the homosexual equal rights movement. Why are the homosexuals being blamed today for something that began and came to a head long before homosexuality was frequently even discussed?
I did not know what a homosexual was when I an early teen. I knew what divorce was and what latch key kids were well before I was a teen. Many of my friends families had already been through a divorce, and a harsh, hateful custody battle. Keys worn around the necks of fairly young kids was not uncommon, and we all knew what they meant.
No, the breackdown of the traditional family was mostly completed by the 1950's. Most people by that time were living in "nuclear" families, without the support of having extended family members present in the home.

#3737 Feb 5, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
I reject your premise.
Further, if I didn't reject your premise, where did He say anything about snowmobiles? Book, chapter and verse please.
Maybe they count as iron chariots...
(1 Judges 19) ;)

#3738 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
We Don`t need a 100% perfect bible to answer this issue. If you had true faith you would repent.
Now this is truly, incredibly, pathetic. If you DID have a 100% perfect transaltion of the Bible, you would immediately see just how wrong you are, as I have pointed out to you repeatedly.

#3739 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Before I answer what is the primary purpose of marriage? What benefit does it give society?
Financial stability is THE primary purpose of marriage for society. EVERYTHING else takes a distant second place to that.

“Only Biblical methods will ”

Since: Apr 10

help bring others to Christ

#3740 Feb 5, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the breackdown of the traditional family was mostly completed by the 1950's. Most people by that time were living in "nuclear" families, without the support of having extended family members present in the home.
Yeah I agree that was the first breakdown. IMO, we have had two breakdowns of the traditional family. The first when the extended family gave way to nuclear families which then became the traditional family model for a time. Then, the nuclear families broke down to single parent or blended families.

All of this happened long before the homosexual equal rights movement, so this movement has nothing to do with the breakdown of the traditional family,yet this movement is being blamed.

#3741 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
There may be all kinds of different family configurations but none are as good as the traditional family of a man and woman as husband wife. Society is largely messed up because of the breakdown of the family.
But homes and apartments no longer exist that can support having three (or more) generations living in a single home. Traditional families have not existed in significant numbers since the 1940's

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#3742 Feb 5, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Financial stability is THE primary purpose of marriage for society. EVERYTHING else takes a distant second place to that.
Exactly! Marriages were arranged in Biblical times. It was a civil union. These fundies are nuts.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3743 Feb 5, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not agreed. It is a false premise, not backed up by any evidence. Quite the opposite in fact, all of the evidence shows that SSM is just as good for the kids as hetero marriage, all other things being equal.
Not true. Studies show otherwise.

“Fully Protected ~”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#3744 Feb 5, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...and that statement is really humorous when you loathe 'probably' 80% of all those in these threads. You find more reasons to speak as much slanderous vile garbage as your dark mentality can muster up to think of to say. You do it in an 'attempt' to wound the emotional feelings of your verbal victims. You are the explicit example of a pathetic cyberbully.
cyberbully
Web definitions
Cyberbullying "involves the use of information and communication technologies to support deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberbully
But as I stated, you attempt to be one. You're quite pathetic at it. Listening to your immature rants is like being on a school play ground at recess, having to listen to that one kid doing his darnedest to appear as a bully who just seems to have nothing but negative, vile, dark filthy things to say instead of saying something good or worth listening to. Always made you wonder what was happening at their home that created such a pathetic mad at the world soul. Oh well, some things remain a mystery, even to people like yourself. Hope you get it figured out someday dude. Not everyone is against you :)
Good post......spot on!
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3745 Feb 5, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
They were never married.
Jesus uses them as the basis for marriage in Matthew 19.

#3746 Feb 5, 2013
Seriously__ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I agree that was the first breakdown. IMO, we have had two breakdowns of the traditional family. The first when the extended family gave way to nuclear families which then became the traditional family model for a time. Then, the nuclear families broke down to single parent or blended families.
All of this happened long before the homosexual equal rights movement, so this movement has nothing to do with the breakdown of the traditional family,yet this movement is being blamed.
Oh, there are MANY more family models that that!
Nuclear.
Multi-generational, extended (the TRUE "traditional" family)
single parent
single parent plus one or both grandparents
grandparents
aunt and/or uncle
blended
time sharing between both bio parents and their current spouses
foster parents
single parent plus significant other of the week
and the list goes on and on...

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#3747 Feb 5, 2013
Seriously__ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really blamed, just furthering the degradation...
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3748 Feb 5, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Now this is truly, incredibly, pathetic. If you DID have a 100% perfect transaltion of the Bible, you would immediately see just how wrong you are, as I have pointed out to you repeatedly.
The only thing you have pointed out is how lame your interpretations are.

#3749 Feb 5, 2013
tickedoffchic wrote:
<quoted text>You know these fundies have no clue about ancient history or the history of their own religion, and they think they know everything.
Please allow me to correct your punctuation...

"You know these fundies have no clue."

Is the correct way to write that sentence.

#3750 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true. Studies show otherwise.
I repeat...

No, not agreed. It is a false premise, not backed up by any evidence. Quite the opposite in fact, all of the evidence shows that SSM is just as good for the kids as hetero marriage, all other things being equal.

There are no valid scientific studies that dispute this. Key word here is "valid".

Since: Dec 09

United States

#3751 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did it say anything about same sex marriage? Where do we see acceptance of it by a society?
Ticked, looks like you are out of your league again.
You're against same-sex marriage because you think homosexuality is wrong.
I am FOR same-sex marriage because I think homosexual people who love one another and want to spend their lives together ought to be lawfully entitled to.

#3752 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing you have pointed out is how lame your interpretations are.
Funny thing, I don't seem to recall you posting any refutations of the translations that I have given from Hebrew...

In fact, I can't seem to remember ANY place where you have posted ANY evidence contrary to what I have posted, only the lame "nuh uh". Oh, sorry, but my kid can debate better than that. Hell, he could debate better than that even back in grade school...

#3753 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus uses them as the basis for marriage in Matthew 19.
Cite chapter and verse that shows them actually getting married.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#3755 Feb 5, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not, and I'm not playing your game nomo. If you truly care the way you say, then stop fighting with the very people who want to help.
Oh sugar, u are playing a game alright..why attack me about posting what ur church is doing? I didn't say U did it. I didn't even say anything about u. U came after me..remember?
Are u saying its cool as long as the Mormons don't enter into the discussion? Well guess what..as long as they keep their nose in the middle of prop h8, they will continue to be part of the discussion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 4 GOP candidates sign anti-gay marriage pledge 6 min Jonah1 340
News Clerk in gay marriage fight once unlikely to wa... 11 min Rainbow Kid 4
News Kentucky Marriage License Dispute 'Up To Courts... 12 min Becky 8
News Kentucky clerk rejects couples again: 'They don... 12 min tat tvam asi 9
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 13 min Jonah1 3,234
News We have reached the George Wallace stage of the... 19 min Disordered Pathos 9
News Will clerk issue gay marriage licenses after co... 22 min God 36
News Kentucky clerk defies order, refuses to issue s... 31 min tat tvam asi 511
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 51 min Frankie Rizzo 25,906
News Court: Baker who refused gay wedding cake can't... 1 hr lides 1,253
News Supreme Court rules against clerk in gay marria... 1 hr Fa-Foxy 66
More from around the web