Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 20 comments on the Apr 27, 2009, news.yahoo.com story titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3674 Feb 5, 2013
victoria1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuality has been part of society since the beginning of civilisation. It's not new.
True. It's never been something a society has wanted to embrace or promote.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#3675 Feb 5, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything old was once new. Even one man-one woman marriage. How "bizarre" was that when it began?
God created Adam (MAN) and Eve (WOMAN), that was the first marriage. It wasn't bizarre since that it how the Creator made it to be.

What is bizarre is anything outside of that God ordained arrangement.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#3676 Feb 5, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
<quoted text>WTF is that?
WTF is what? An ancient modern society? Like in Rome 2000 years ago where(like today)you crapped in a hole and running water washed it away? Like Rome that had heated pools to swim in? Like Rome that had the equivalent of hot tubs and saunas? Like Rome that had masonry aqueducts that carried water to the city for miles and miles and into businesses and even homes? Like Rome that had fast food restaurants bars? Like Rome that imported and exported goods? Like Rome that had paved streets and side walks? Like Rome that had street lamps to light the night? Like Rome that had a huge Colosseum complete with huge sun-visors on the roof and elevators? You mean WTF is that kind of an ancient (than) modern society?

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#3677 Feb 5, 2013
Contraception has nothing to do with the homosexual population, neither does abortion, women in the priesthood, divorce ...(the list goes on)... yet these issues have divided the Church for decades, causing them to loose their members in droves.

Yet now they want to blame homosexuals for their demise?! Instead they should examine their own ossified teachings, which no longer ring true to modern, educated people.

Location hidden

#3678 Feb 5, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>thanks! Great video!

It was prop h(8) that got me going on topix. I knew next to nothing about mormons other than that they rode bicycles and went from door to door.

At first I started posting on SFgate in defense of gay people because my wife and I have witnessed the hurt that can happen when one member of a gay couple is hospitalized and the other is prevented from seeing them.

My wife is a home health nurse and sees a lot of damage done by homophobes to innocent people in LOVE that simply want to be who they are. We live in a retirement community and she has seen many sad stories unfold as people who have spent their whole lives together grow old.

One lesbian couple we know is upset because they know that if something happens to the older one who is getting on in years, she won't be allowed into the hospital room to say goodby, and the hateful family who has had nothing to do with her for years will get the property leaving her homeless!

The defeat of prop 8 is the only hope for people like this couple in California. This wonderful couple has been together for years.

Until I met this couple I knew very little about gay people. But one day while going on a company sponsored whale watching expedition off the coast of Mendocino I saw the LOVING look of concern of the older one for the younger one who was seasick and throwing up over the railing.

When I saw this I suddenly knew without a doubt that what these two human beings felt for each other, and the life they shared, was no different than the life that my wife and I share together, with one exception. We have legal rights that they don't have!
Grandpasmurf...the Mormons drew all the unwanted attention to themselves and to this day still scream foul and play the victim if anyone brings it up. It certainly made me pay even more attention to the theocracy I live in, that they would go after people who had little or no knowledge of Mormonism and try to force them into living a bigoted standard. What keeps my attention(besides their continued desire to be on the wrong side of history) is what they have done to their very own children, all for the sake of hate and ignorance. The suicides here in Utah and the enormous number of homeless lgbt youth who are kicked to the curb in the brutal winters of Utah is a very bitter pill to swallow. Add the fact that there are no overnight youth shelters in This state(this is hopefully changing)and its a recipe for many deaths..just because of how a person is born. To this day(despite what any of the apologists say) bishops within the church are advising young men to get married anyway, that it will just go away. And combining this ignorant and damaging advice with treatment at evergreen is more tragedy waiting to happen. Over and over again. I'm f'ing sick of it. Aren't religions supposed to be all about loving one another and embracing their fellow man? With this cult, it's beyond the opposite. They spend 8 Billion on a shopping mall, own huge amounts of land all over the country, run big game hunting lodges, hid mitt Romney's money for 10 years so he didntt have to pay taxes..I could go on for days about the unethical..
This whole scam is run by holding the members eternity for ransom. It's how they raised sooo much money for prop h8. And they think the rest of us..the Gentiles are too stupid to not see thru any of it. Religion is poison for many, it gives them an excuse to hate. If there is a god, it's nothing like all these ignorant hateful people imagine.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#3679 Feb 5, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a big difference between an organization and an individual, No Surprise. I have always tried to make that clear.
Only an idiot would misunderstand the difference between a fictitious entity such as a church and an individual human being. And I don't think you are an idiot, No Surprise. So why than are you yet again trying to distort what I say?
You stated... "A true Christian would not spend all of their time judging others in defiance of scripture.." ...you do that all the time in many threads. Yet you state that isn't what you're doing. Yet way to many people have stated that is what you do...in defiance of scripture(s) you spend 'most' of your time judging others and their religious beliefs. So I misunderstood nothing.
And I didn't distort anything you wrote.

Location hidden

#3680 Feb 5, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>thanks! Great video!

It was prop h(8) that got me going on topix. I knew next to nothing about mormons other than that they rode bicycles and went from door to door.

At first I started posting on SFgate in defense of gay people because my wife and I have witnessed the hurt that can happen when one member of a gay couple is hospitalized and the other is prevented from seeing them.

My wife is a home health nurse and sees a lot of damage done by homophobes to innocent people in LOVE that simply want to be who they are. We live in a retirement community and she has seen many sad stories unfold as people who have spent their whole lives together grow old.

One lesbian couple we know is upset because they know that if something happens to the older one who is getting on in years, she won't be allowed into the hospital room to say goodby, and the hateful family who has had nothing to do with her for years will get the property leaving her homeless!

The defeat of prop 8 is the only hope for people like this couple in California. This wonderful couple has been together for years.

Until I met this couple I knew very little about gay people. But one day while going on a company sponsored whale watching expedition off the coast of Mendocino I saw the LOVING look of concern of the older one for the younger one who was seasick and throwing up over the railing.

When I saw this I suddenly knew without a doubt that what these two human beings felt for each other, and the life they shared, was no different than the life that my wife and I share together, with one exception. We have legal rights that they don't have!
Here's a mind numbing video for u...done by a friend of mine.

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

“Maiden of Mayhem”

Since: May 08

OMFUG

#3681 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not until the past few years that people got confused about what marriage is. Marriage has everything to do with gender. Without it we could not produce the next generation. Traditional marriage is the best place to raise a family and the next generation.
Happy healthy stable people are raised in all sorts of different family dynamics, so are serial killers. It's less about the gender of the parents and more about the character of the parents. And more than a decade is a lot more than a few.

You'll have to get accustomed to it, people have become more accepting, more tolerant and less bigoted over the centuries.

Even the Pentagon is getting ready to announce that the military will be extending benefits to same-sex spouses like housing on military bases, military ID cards to access on-base activities and programs, access to commissaries and the consideration of a same-sex spouse and family in duty assignments.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3682 Feb 5, 2013
victoria1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy healthy stable people are raised in all sorts of different family dynamics, so are serial killers. It's less about the gender of the parents and more about the character of the parents. And more than a decade is a lot more than a few.
You'll have to get accustomed to it, people have become more accepting, more tolerant and less bigoted over the centuries.
Even the Pentagon is getting ready to announce that the military will be extending benefits to same-sex spouses like housing on military bases, military ID cards to access on-base activities and programs, access to commissaries and the consideration of a same-sex spouse and family in duty assignments.
There may be all kinds of different family configurations but none are as good as the traditional family of a man and woman as husband wife. Society is largely messed up because of the breakdown of the family.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#3683 Feb 5, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
Are you still sore about my repeated postings on the massacre at Mountain Meadows that both you and the church deny was orchestrated by the church?
It's not judging individuals to simply point out that Mormons murdered over a 100 people in cold blood and deny responsibility for the crime to this day. The majority of humanity needs to know what happened and why.
See, here we are right back to your lies. The Mormon church as a whole in 1857 didn't massacre anyone. So every time you claim that church massacred that wagon train, you set yourself as a liar. That is the equivalent of saying all America attacked Iraq. That is the equivalent of saying all America dropped two atomic bombs on Japan. That's like saying all indigenous natives from north, central and south America were responsible for Custer's massacre.
You generalize way to much and for effect and that leads you to make lies.
In 1857 a small handful of Mormon elders from the Cedar City, they decided (for whatever reasoning they thought justified)to wipe out a wagon train of men, women and children. Some claim their prophet Young sent orders for the massacre to happen days before hand.
But we also know that a couple days before the massacre happened, a Mormon elder rode to Salt Lake City to tell Young about the massacre. The rider was from Cedar City. As a Mormon Elder from Cedar city, according to you as the whole church was in on it, this elder should have known about the massacre days in advance as you claim the entire church knew days in advance of the massacre and that Young planned it. So how did this elder think riding to SL would do anything if the person he was riding to commanded the massacre and he knew that?
So any way this rider rides all day and night to SL and tells Young elders in Cedar City are going to massacre a wagon train. So instead of keeping the elder in SL to detain him from interrupting his massacre plans, what does Young do? He sends a writ with the fed rider on fresh horse with a message to tell the Cedar City elders NOT TO PLAN OR CARRY OUT ANY SUCH MASSACRE BUT TO LET THE WAGON TRAIN PASS THROUGH UNMOLESTED.
But the rider doesn't get back in time and arrives just after the massacre. So let's pretend the rider get's back in time and gave the message to the area president. Now ain't he confused! First Young (according to your bent logic) tells the whole Mormon church their going to massacre men, women and children in a wagon train. According to your logic the whole Mormon church thinks this is a great thing to do. They have Mormons coming from England and Germany and who knows where else to partake in this massacre.
But suddenly a rider shows up and a message tells them all Young decided not to go through with the massacre and everyone was to go home.
See, that's some information you're unwilling to deal with. And at your age, I would think you'd be more interested in ALL relevant information instead of just the information you want to justify your position by.
Get this through your thick skull. Living Mormons committed no massacre in 1857. The Mormon church in 1857 didn't participate in a massacre. Mormons today have nothing to apologize for nor to seek forgiveness for.
You're an irrational idiot to think someone today needs to atone for some one else's sins and or wrongs that happened in 1857.

“Howdy How”

Since: Jan 09

Hayward, CA

#3685 Feb 5, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Don't mind me I am just happy to see ya. Want some candy?
Sure do you have some of the hard mint kind? Or some peppermint patties?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3686 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not until the past few years that people got confused about what marriage is. Marriage has everything to do with gender. Without it we could not produce the next generation. Traditional marriage is the best place to raise a family and the next generation.
Marriage isn't at all necessary for reproduction.

Whose tradition?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#3687 Feb 5, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
You constantly call me names, you accuse me repeatedly of lying, now you are trying to imply that I judge individuals?
You know, No Surprise, if you actually read any of the almost 12000 posts I have made here on topix you would see that I am against humans judging other humans in GOD'S place. Our place is to LOVE.
As my closing tag line that I have put on most of my posts states:
GOD is LOVE. WE are ALL ONE WITH GOD, even the unloving!
I call you names that fit what you've said, that is true. I do accuse you of lying when you have lied, that is true. And you do judge individuals. You judge them all the time as if you're god and you know what truth is.
You constantly are telling people of various religions that they're wrong, deceived and incorrect and your way of thinking concerning theism is better. That is judging. That is judging from the position of a god knowing what is true and what isn't and you do it all the time to other people.

“ ILKS r kewl ”

Since: Apr 09

Conch republic

#3688 Feb 5, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
ya got dumped by the mormons eh? awww no big loss. Got your magic panties in a twist?

“ ILKS r kewl ”

Since: Apr 09

Conch republic

#3689 Feb 5, 2013
I am Servant wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure do you have some of the hard mint kind? Or some peppermint patties?
chocolate PENNIES?

“Maiden of Mayhem”

Since: May 08

OMFUG

#3690 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
There may be all kinds of different family configurations but none are as good as the traditional family of a man and woman as husband wife. Society is largely messed up because of the breakdown of the family.
There are approximately 65,000 same sex parent families in the U.S. and 21 million single parent families in the U.S. Same-sex marriage isn't a threat to your 1950's leave it to beaver idea of "Traditional" family. And it certainly doesn't hold any weight in a same-sex marriage argument.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3691 Feb 5, 2013
I do have my prophets, ya know.

(PSSST! I do NOT play skeeball, though I can do a passable Alanis Morrisette impression)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#3692 Feb 5, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
<quoted text>ya got dumped by the mormons eh? awww no big loss. Got your magic panties in a twist?
lolol...yeah oh yeah...you just make sure you believe every single word Dana states is solid gold...you'll do much better than you're doing now! lolol.......

“Howdy How”

Since: Jan 09

Hayward, CA

#3693 Feb 5, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
<quoted text>chocolate PENNIES?
Thought they were called wafers? I use them to melt then cover my eggs!
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3694 Feb 5, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage isn't at all necessary for reproduction.
Whose tradition?
That maybe true. Traditional marriage i.e. man and woman is the best place to raise children. It is the gold standard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 7 min RevKen 31,957
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 11 min Dana Robertson 2,720
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 18 min _Into The Abyss_ 59,301
News What It Was Like at the First Gay Rights Demons... 40 min Christsharians on... 77
News State warns Boy Scouts about discriminating aga... 42 min Christsharians on... 99
News A sign welcoming travelers to downtown Salyersv... 44 min Christsharians on... 18
Are the mods fair and balanced? 48 min NorCal Native 647
News Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP White Ho... 58 min Christsharians on... 81
News Chief Justice John Roberts faces another big mo... 1 hr Christsharians on... 41
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 7 hr WasteWater 19,582
More from around the web