Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 20 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Since: Dec 09

United States

#3474 Feb 4, 2013
Born_Again_Christian wrote:
victorial,
You do not know Native so shut your mouth. Native has struggled with her weight for years and finally has lost over 93 pounds. Now if you want to make fun of her for making an effort to get healthy then you are the insecure person not her. I am damn proud of her and her accomplishments.
<quoted text>
Just a few days ago you were posting repeatedly, indignantly claiming you weren't Native and didn't even know who this Native person was.
NOW you not only well-versed in the details about what transpired between Native and others here for the past several years, you KNOW Native intimately in real-life.
Personally, I don't think YOU are Native. Native can be said to be many things, but she had an innocence that you don't possess, and she was vulnerable and easily hurt, while you're not. And where she was volatile and reactive, you study to provoke. And she didn't have the versatility of malevolence you do, nor the range and depth of your Christian contradictions.
I've been suspecting off and on for quite some time that you're the same poster as the Doc, who pretended to be Native's friend back in the day.
But whether you're that Doc or not makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3475 Feb 4, 2013
Lilllith wrote:
We've been headed down this road for some time now. The country is splitting across the board, churches included. You have the rational freedom-loving people on the progressive side, and the repressed fear-mongering conservatives on the other side, seeking to create a neo-christian taliban.
When the conservative right wingnuts took it uopn themselves to create a law that favored their church doctrine over everyone else, they fired the first shot - they drew first blood. And they cannot seem to comprehend why people are p*ssed off about what they did. Mainly because they don't know the history of their own GD country, which was founded by people trying to escape an official state religion. They don't get it, and won't get it, because they don't want to get it.
So we are forced to make them get it, under penalty of law through the courts. No accounting for their sanity, since they keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. What part of inalienable do you whack jobs not understand?
Excellent!

Location hidden

#3476 Feb 4, 2013
N2shotokai wrote:
<quoted text>I did not say that. I said if you are in a denomination, say Catholic, and you believe gays should be priests, start your own denomination. Do not start all the politics that cause division in Christ's church.
I suspect that your understanding of events needs better information.

Location hidden

#3477 Feb 4, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The widespread failure of marriage does make one wonder why it's now an imperative for gays, but I guess the premise is "equal rights to a a 50/50 proposition that you will lose 1/2 of your proerty and assets in 5 years", yes?
Funny, but so far not borne-out by events. Gay couples tend to stay together, perhaps for man of the same reasons the early interracial couples did. They had to go through so much crap just to be together that it wasn't entered into lightly to begin with. Also, by the time a gay person want settles down to couplehood, they gotten most of their wild oats well and thoroughly sown. Most hetero couples can't say the same.

Location hidden

#3478 Feb 4, 2013
NoMo wrote:
The Mormons don't lose very gracefully. I love that they were"stunned" at the backlash. Seriously, why would they expect less?
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/nul...
Signed it.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3479 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Its sad that little girl will never have a real mom.
No, it's fortunate she was adopted by two parents who love her rather than grow up in a house with her real mom who didn't want her, and without a dad.

Lots of little kids will never have a mom. That's life.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#3480 Feb 5, 2013
NoMo wrote:
The Mormons don't lose very gracefully. I love that they were"stunned" at the backlash. Seriously, why would they expect less?
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/nul...
I find it ironic that on this particular thread, I am the Mormon supporting the gay community while your so called "christians" of other faiths are doing nothing but telling the gay community they will go to hell. Yet, You still are ragging on mormons. Face it nomo, you have a bone to pick with mormons and no one else. Sad!!!

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3481 Feb 5, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you make nasty claims like this? How do you know that the mother isn't part of the child's life?
For the record, she isn't.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3482 Feb 5, 2013
Wow, it didn't take much for someone to drop their fake "holier than thou" attitude and start calling people scum and telling them to go play in traffic.

Maybe the Holy Spirit was on break when all that happened.
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

#3483 Feb 5, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>
In the same place it is in YOUR State.
nowhere?

its the law in my state as you live to point out...I guess you are forgetting each day that its NOT in your state...

So in the end, you are razzing me because i can marry in my state and you can NOT in yours...
as stupid as anything else you try to do...

what job do you claim you had at GE?
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#3484 Feb 5, 2013
Jane Dodo,
Just because you call it a lie does not make it a lie. Do your own study and ask homosexuals if they come from a one parent family home life or been sexually abused. Also ask them if the same gender parent was there for them emotionally. Just cause you do not want to know the truth others already have done studies like this and proven most homosexuals have been raped or abused sexually or neglected as a child.
<quoted text>
Really? What studies? You never prove ANYTHING.
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#3485 Feb 5, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
nowhere?
its the law in my state as you live to point out...I guess you are forgetting each day that its NOT in your state...
So in the end, you are razzing me because i can marry in my state and you can NOT in yours...
as stupid as anything else you try to do...
what job do you claim you had at GE?
What I'm razzing you for is that I CAN MARRY IN YOUR STATE.
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

#3486 Feb 5, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>
What I'm razzing you for is that I CAN MARRY IN YOUR STATE.
yup, BUT NOT IN YOURS...

and once you returned to JOISEY, your marriage here in VT wouldn't count...

Mine would...

your not very good at razzing...

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3487 Feb 5, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
yup, BUT NOT IN YOURS...
Mine would...
Nobody says, "Joisey" except people not from there.

New Jersey has at least a civil union that is identical to marriage in every way but the name.

As we all know, an upgrade is inevitable - possibly as early as June.

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

#3488 Feb 5, 2013
Grandpasmurf
Can you explain Romans 1 because no pagan rituals being talked about. God calls this a sin men being with men and women being with women.
26 That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.
<quoted text>
First off let me correct you. It was Paul that condemned homosexuality, not GOD! You assume that Paul spoke for GOD but since Paul contradicts the historical Jesus on most things you will have to choose who speaks for GOD and who does not. GOD is not a god of confusion!

The historical Jesus only used the Hebrew Scriptures. The Greek Scriptures were not even written til generations after Jesus died.

Saul of Tarsus claimed to have had a vision, changed his name to Paul and than went about rearranging Christianity to better suit the Romans as the political tool it was being formed into.

Most of the Greek Scriptures were written to back up Paul's patriarchal hierarchical version of Christianity which conflicted with the Christianity of the historical Jesus whom Paul had never met.

If you really want to understand historical Christianity you have to start at the beginning and go from there.

Jesus was born a Jew. Most people will not take issue with this although some will. Growing up as a Jew he worshiped the OMNIPRESENT GOD of Israel.

Being a Jew he also lived according to the customs of his people. If homosexuality were an important issue he would have addressed it and it would have been from the Hebrew Scriptures that he would have done so.

When we examine the writings of Paul and other later Roman Christians, we find that often Greek scriptures will reference the Hebrew Scriptures in an attempt to give the new Roman Christian religion a history by falsely linking it with Judaism but will use the scriptures inappropriately to affirm their preconceived notions of how things should be using the misunderstood Hebrew scripture to back them up. One area that is causing much confusion today is homosexuality.

But the only negative reference that Roman Christians can find in the Hebrew Scriptures to prove the validity of the Greek Scriptures condemning homosexuality are not about homosexuality at all but are about military rape, temple prostitutes, and pagan orgies and of course the distorted interpretation of the story of Sodom and Gomorrah.

However, there are two positive accounts of homosexuality in the Hebrew Scriptures that homophobic Roman Christians refuse to accept for what they are that are wonderful teaching stories about true LOVE. They should be inspiring to all of us but are denied by those who cling to the pagan Roman version of Christianity.

These are the stories of David and Jonathan, and Ruth and Naomi. Both of these couples had romantic LOVE for each other. It doesn't matter if they had sex or how they did it. The important part of the lesson here is that LOVE manifests in many different ways.

Both of these detailed accounts of same sex LOVE are there for a reason.

(to be continued in next post)

“Maiden of Mayhem”

Since: May 08

OMFUG

#3489 Feb 5, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
yup, BUT NOT IN YOURS...
Mine would...
New Jersey recognizes same-sex marriages performed out of state.

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

#3490 Feb 5, 2013
(continued from previous post)

You would think that over the centuries humanity would grasp the folly of attempting to judge what we can not understand, but yet people have been persecuted wrongly for being left handed, for being epeleptic, for being black, and even for being Jewish despite the belief of the Roman Christians that they follow Jesus who was himself clearly Jewish!

True Christianity is about LOVE. Judgment is left to GOD.

For one human being to judge another is to display a lack of trust in the wisdom of GOD by doing what should be done by GOD instead of following the two most important commandments stated in both the Hebrew and the Greek Scriptures to LOVE GOD with our whole mind, our whole heart, and our whole soul, and to LOVE our neighbor as ourself.

We are just now, with the aid of scientific inquiry, determining something that the Creator knew all along, Sexual orientation is determined before birth.

As humans we don't completely understand why, but if we trust in the message of the historical Jesus who taugh that GOD is LOVE, we can logically conclude that the stories of David and Jonathan and Ruth and Naomi are simply there to insure that we know that LOVE manifests in many ways and it is not for us to judge anyone's expression of LOVE for another human being, but to appreciate it for the testement to the Glory of GOD that it is!

And we can also conclude from the passages in the Hebrew scriptures about military rape, male prostitution, and pagan orgies that LOVE is not lust.

How many people have been burned alive because other humans have rejected what GOD created?

Wake up to who you, and all of us are, Born_Again_Christian, and than your avatar will mean what it says!

GOD is LOVE. WE are ALL ONE WITH GOD, even the unloving!

“Howdy How”

Since: Jan 09

Hayward, CA

#3491 Feb 5, 2013
I am Servant
Leave Native alone or you will find out who I am and you will not like it. I will make sure you never step foot near Native again. Show me where it is okay for you to use dead relatives of people on an open forum? You sick idiot. I am going to leave you alone, but come near Native again or accuse her of stalking you when in fact she is not and you will find out who I am.
<quoted text>
By responding to the post you told EVERONE who you are. With your threats that you have used in the past almost word for word you gave yourself away.
I was the one that stalked by you. Your threats give you away EVERYTIME. We all know what the next lines will be. You are not acting Christ like at all.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3492 Feb 5, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's fortunate she was adopted by two parents who love her rather than grow up in a house with her real mom who didn't want her, and without a dad.
Lots of little kids will never have a mom. That's life.
Children without a mom or a dad will always lack because of it. No same sex couple can make up for this lack.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#3493 Feb 5, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>I find it ironic that on this particular thread, I am the Mormon supporting the gay community while your so called "christians" of other faiths are doing nothing but telling the gay community they will go to hell. Yet, You still are ragging on mormons. Face it nomo, you have a bone to pick with mormons and no one else. Sad!!!
find it ironic that the "Mormon supporting the gay community" chooses to ignore the amicus brief her cult just filed along with the reasons behind it and focus her "sadness on me.
As a member, please explain why ur quorum wants to make their bigotry even more official than it already is..u do realize the "softer stance" website is there to hoodwink sheep like u, right? They are still the same old homophobes they've always been.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mama Dragons lead the fight for their gay Mormo... 3 min Cath League of Du... 6
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 6 min piratefighting 3,097
News Ben Carson joins 2016 race 6 min Wall 20
What Brand Enema Does NE Jade Use? 8 min Rinaldo 18
News Gay marriage foe's argument seems to leave Supr... 9 min Belle Sexton 119
News Judge proposes Oregon bakery pay $135,000 to le... 11 min DebraE 530
Are the mods fair and balanced? 16 min Poof1 831
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 21 min Poof1 59,588
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 55 min Rick in Kansas 20,686
News 8 Shocking Statements Opponents Of Marriage Equ... 4 hr Lawrence Wolf 90
More from around the web