Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against ...

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16101 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3341 Feb 4, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
What has changed is the use of courts. The courts have circumvented the Will of the people.
...as courts often do, always have, always will. Just like they circumvented the will of the people in Loving v Virginia, and they were right to do so. The people (most of them) eventually caught up.

But what I was referring to (which you should have been able to realize) was that people who have previously voted against same sex marriage have since learned and changed their minds.

Part of this is due to the President coming out in support of same sex marriage, which triggered serious discussion, including throughout the African American community, which quickly flipped support in that community from majority opposed to majority in favor.

I suspect if you had the vote in California today, you'd get a different result vs the last time. That's because bigots can learn.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#3342 Feb 4, 2013
Born_Again_Christian wrote:
<quoted text>Liam,
Do your own research. It is you that is lying many men and women leave homosexuality. Just because your friends want to live the lifestyle does not mean all trapped in homosexuality do.
...right. Is this what u mean?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#3344 Feb 4, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no left handed gene either, but there are plenty of left handed people. For you to pretend to know what is in his heart is sick. Only God can know that, and you are not God.
Um...
The gene most closely linked to left-handedness has been found, experts announced this week.
The gene, called LRRTM1, is also associated with a slight increase in developing certain mental illnesses such as schizophrenia.
"We think that this gene affects the symmetry of the brain," Francks said. "LRRTM1 is not essential for left-handedness, but it can be a strong contributing factor."
From here:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/...
The human genome is a long way from being fully understood. Things that were unknown yesterday are becoming known today. And tomorrow will bring a lot more.
This is a neat time to be alive! Or, well, it is if you are willing to LEARN new things and not just bury your head in an ancient book and pretend that it holds ALL the answers to everything.(Like some of the folks on this thread...)
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#3346 Feb 4, 2013
Jeff wrote:
The reason these things have not happened yet is because most people know what a marriage is only: ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN.
You straighties can call your version 'Holy Matrimony'

#3348 Feb 4, 2013
Dana Robertson,
God did not make them gay.
Did God give them their genetics? Their genes made them gay, so either God does not pay attention to genes, or God made them gay.
The Bible says being gay is unnatural.
Liar. It does not say that anywhere.
Because of abuse, circumstances such as a parent being absent, they chose to deal with their pain by going to the same gender for the love they lacked.
For a VERY narrow slice of the population, that might be true: if they were already bisexual in orientation, AND they suffered as you suggest, AND they had no other support system available, then they MIGHT "choose" to focus on only same sex relationships rather than recognizing their attractions to both genders. But even then, it would be a stretch.
God said it is male and female not male and male. When he said it is not good man be alone he made a female not another male. There is sin against perverted love and homosexuality is a perverted love.
<quoted text>
Male and female are good for reproduction, certainly. but there is no legitimate translation of the Bible that condemns homosexuality.

And in the long run, your claims about abuse as having anything to do with orientation are a reversal as to reality. No surprise there. Psychologists can use testing to recognize sexual orientation in children as young as 5. That would mean that abusive bigots could as well, without necessarily understanding what made the child "feel" different. This can lead to abuse being heaped upon the gay child AS A RESULT of their being gay, NOT as a cause of it.

#3349 Feb 4, 2013
Liam,
You are so full of it. Those verses do not say weeping is an abomination. Do you have autism like your son? You cannot read to well. The verses you gave are not saying weeping is an abomination they are saying worshiping idols is the abomination. Notice the women were weeping over the god Tammuz which was an idol. The idol was the abomination then it goes on to say twenty five men were bowing to the sun god which was another idol. Thanks for proving you take scriptures out of context.
Ezekiel 8
12 Then the Lord said to me,“Son of man, have you seen what the leaders of Israel are doing with their idols in dark rooms? They are saying,‘The Lord doesn’t see us; he has deserted our land!’” 13 Then the Lord added,“Come, and I will show you even more detestable sins than these!”
14 He brought me to the north gate of the Lord’s Temple, and some women were sitting there, weeping for the god Tammuz. 15 “Have you seen this?” he asked.“But I will show you even more detestable sins than these!”
16 Then he brought me into the inner courtyard of the Lord’s Temple. At the entrance to the sanctuary, between the entry room and the bronze altar, there were about twenty-five men with their backs to the sanctuary of the Lord. They were facing east, bowing low to the ground, worshiping the sun!
17 “Have you seen this, son of man?” he asked.“Is it nothing to the people of Judah that they commit these detestable sins, leading the whole nation into violence, thumbing their noses at me, and provoking my anger? 18 Therefore, I will respond in fury. I will neither pity nor spare them. And though they cry for mercy, I will not listen
<quoted text>
VERY good! You have taken the first step in learning to read the Bible for comprehension. Congratulations!

And EXACTLY like weeping is only a sin when it is done as part of the worship of a foreign God, so too is it with homosexuality. Leviticus uses the same word <tow'evah> which means "abomination BECAUSE it is connected with foreign worship" to describe the act of a man having sex with a (male) temple prostitute as Ezekiel does to describe weeping.

#3351 Feb 4, 2013
Liam,
Alot of men and women have left homosexuality for heterosexuality. Just cause you want to be gay or bisexual does not mean everyone does. There is no gay gene so yes you can decide to change from homosexuality to heterosexuality. I do not care what your scientist say. God calls homosexuality an abomination so that throws your scientist theory out.
<quoted text>
I have no interest whatsoever in being gay or bi. I like being heterosexual. I also like truth, and living in the real world. Science has already demonstrated that there is a definite connection between genetics and sexual orientation, which throws out any Bronze Age myths you want to try and worship.

And there is NOTHING in the Bible that when LEGITIMATELY translated out of the Hebrew condemns homosexuality. Nothing. And that is why the Bible CELEBRATES the marriage of David and Johnathan in 1 Samuel, and David mourns for his lost lover in 2 Samuel, say that he never loved ANY woman as much as he loved Johnathan...

Oh, and you are still lying when you claim that anyone has ever changed their orientation.

#3352 Feb 4, 2013
Bother. Still a lot of posts to catch up on from over the weekend, and the librarian wants to leave early for choir practice. Alas, but you must wait for further words of wisdom until tomorrow. Even then, I am only up to page 134, so I might not get around to any of the most recent posts.
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#3354 Feb 4, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I'm finding your comments quite ignorant about the dangers of homosexuality. You want to live in your own little and ignore what is going on in other homosexuals who are confused and hurting.
Are you confused and hurting?
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3356 Feb 4, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
...as courts often do, always have, always will. Just like they circumvented the will of the people in Loving v Virginia, and they were right to do so. The people (most of them) eventually caught up.
But what I was referring to (which you should have been able to realize) was that people who have previously voted against same sex marriage have since learned and changed their minds.
Part of this is due to the President coming out in support of same sex marriage, which triggered serious discussion, including throughout the African American community, which quickly flipped support in that community from majority opposed to majority in favor.
I suspect if you had the vote in California today, you'd get a different result vs the last time. That's because bigots can learn.
Depends on how effective the homo-fascists can push their agenda through the courts.
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#3357 Feb 4, 2013
Being gay is brought on by sexual abuse and other emotional trauma done towards a child. Parent leaves the child the child looks for love in the same sex parent that leaves.
<quoted text>
Stop repeating that lie. You can't prove a word of it, and no major medical, psychological or academic professional organization agrees with you.
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#3358 Feb 4, 2013
Liam,
Alot of men and women have left homosexuality for heterosexuality.
Um, no they haven't. You keep saying that, but you've never proven it.
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#3359 Feb 4, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Someone in a same sex "marriage" where 2 men are involved has to take the role of a mom. That means some kids will have a man for mom.
Is there something about the concept of TWO DADS that escapes you?
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#3360 Feb 4, 2013
Liam,
I do not care what your scientist say. God says it is an abomination.
So is eating shrimp. Go picket Red Lobster.

John from Texas

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

United States

#3364 Feb 4, 2013
RR... Will you please quit saying that people's father is Satan.
You are being an ignorant buffoon by doing that.

What is wrong with you, anyway?

“Maiden of Mayhem”

Since: May 08

OMFUG

#3365 Feb 4, 2013
Jane Dodo,
Yes for Jews it is not for Christians. Show me where in the New Testament God says Christians cannot eat shrimp. In fact it says it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles you, but what proceeds out of the mouth. Learn the Bible before trying to debate.
<quoted text>
So g-d sends jews to hell for eating shrimp but not christians?

Jazybird58

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#3366 Feb 4, 2013
Jane Dodo,
Yes for Jews it is not for Christians. Show me where in the New Testament God says Christians cannot eat shrimp. In fact it says it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles you, but what proceeds out of the mouth. Learn the Bible before trying to debate.
<quoted text>
Acts 10

10:9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
10:16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

10:12 don't say nothing about shrimp.

“Howdy How”

Since: Jan 09

Hayward, CA

#3368 Feb 4, 2013
I am Servant,
Again, I am not Penny. I do believe the same way she does and if you consider that acting like her then oh well.
Oh please, I am Servant I know all about you and how you took Penny's mother's obituary photo and used it here as your avatar and now you want to ask is this how Jesus would act so tell me is this how Jesus would have acted towards Penny?
You are a hypocrite at it's finest. Stop pointing fingers at Penny when you are not responding to her in a Christ like manner. You are the last person that should be correcting her since you pulled that evil stunt with her mother's photo. You condemned her mother for no other reason but to get even and that shows you do not follow Christ because Christ said not to get even, but to love your enemy.
Be glad she stopped me from trying to find you cause I was lipid when I heard what you did to her at her most vulnerable time. Christ like? you are far from anything like Christ.
<quoted text>
I knew you were native and again you proved it. I am a Christian just don't live like you do. So you admit that you were stalking me. You haven't stopped either.
You don't scare me.

Scotty Beam us up!

John from Texas

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

United States

#3369 Feb 4, 2013
Jane Dodo,
<quoted text>
Which part of the bible should one learn from???

“Maiden of Mayhem”

Since: May 08

OMFUG

#3370 Feb 4, 2013
John from Texas,
You either worship God or Satan. God is the father of the Christians. Satan is the father of all those who are not Christian.
<quoted text>
What a complete load of delusional crap. Jews don't even believe satan or hell exist, because they don't exist. And everyone knows Jews are intellectually superior.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Excited by Trump, gay Republicans struggle with... 3 min kuda 190
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 22 min Terra Firma 14,854
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 29 min Terra Firma 38,624
News Orlando massacre spurs fear, solidarity among L... 2 hr WasteWater 607
News How Democratic VP Candidate Tim Kaine Evolved o... 2 hr He Named Me Black... 3
News Star Trek Discovery needs to push boundaries wi... 2 hr WeTheSheeple 11
News Alabama's chief justice defends his gay marriag... 2 hr david traversa 4
More from around the web