Anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church website brought down by hackers

Feb 25, 2011 Full story: www.proudparenting.com 28
A hacker named The Jester took credit in a twitter update for having torn into the Church's website in protests against its pickets on the funerals of American servicemen with anti-gay signs. The Jester shot to fame with denial of service attacks against WikiLeaks around the time the site released US diplomatic cables late last year. The hacker is known to have helped develop an attack tool for assaulting jihadist sites, a utility he has taken to applying to a range of targets, including WikiLeaks, and also, it is suspected, the controversial church, led by anti-gay Fred Phelps... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 10

Euless, TX

#1 Feb 25, 2011
the Lord works in...well you know the rest ... and im happy to see that he is still on the job

and we fight on

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

#2 Feb 25, 2011
Gotta hand it to Jester! As I long suspected, hackers are more powerful than God.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#3 Feb 25, 2011
Nothing better than a plan coming together.

Now turn the church off as well.
TheIggy

Avon, CO

#4 Feb 25, 2011
This was SO funny. I particularly liked their post on the website......LOL

Couldn't have happened to a "nicer" group *notes heavy sarcasm

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#5 Feb 25, 2011
I guess their god was busy causing earthquakes or something and didn't have time to defend their web site.
John E

Sterling Heights, MI

#6 Feb 25, 2011
Does anyone but church members even look at the site? Just more publicity for them.
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Toronto, Canada

#7 Feb 25, 2011
Proof that scientific knowledge trumps religious superstition every time!

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#8 Feb 25, 2011
It's true, if you look up their vile web sites, all you get is disconnect messages.

They said to 'bring it on', so can deal with it now!

Oh, how I bet they are quacking in their boots today!
Sir Andrew

United States

#9 Feb 25, 2011
John E wrote:
Does anyone but church members even look at the site? Just more publicity for them.
Yes. They have a huge number of hits regularly according to tracking services. Probably mostly from people not believing such a site exists, but clearly also from those who, while not supporting the Phelps, support their antigay ideas.

I think the only publicity that will come from this is such that will show the "church" as even weaker than critics claim. And more despised than Phelps admits.

Hooray for The Jester. He deserves a big sloppy kiss on the lips.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#10 Feb 25, 2011
They probably think they can trace him, then sue him for denial of service or infringing on their first amendment right to be offensive.
gaymarriedwithki ds

Phoenix, AZ

#11 Feb 25, 2011
I hope hactivists don't decide to silence the gay rights movement.
James

Westbury, NY

#12 Feb 25, 2011
gaymarriedwithkids wrote:
I hope hactivists don't decide to silence the gay rights movement.
I would imagine most (read: all) hactivists are on the younger end of the age spectrum. In any case they're apparently busy in worldly issues much larger than gay rights. They're also not from America.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Silver Spring, MD

#13 Feb 25, 2011
How do we know this isn't yet another Phelps' kkklan publicity generating hoax, appropriating the moniker "The Jester"? They're highly skilled media jammers and performance artists.
gaymarriedwithki ds

United States

#14 Feb 25, 2011
James wrote:
<quoted text>
I would imagine most (read: all) hactivists are on the younger end of the age spectrum. In any case they're apparently busy in worldly issues much larger than gay rights. They're also not from America.
Still. Freedom of speech is a cornerstone of democracy. The federal govt may not abridge it, but a hacker can? That's scarier than fred phelps any day.

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#15 Feb 25, 2011
writewingproxycontin wrote:
How do we know this isn't yet another Phelps' kkklan publicity generating hoax, appropriating the moniker "The Jester"? They're highly skilled media jammers and performance artists.
Nah, they're lawyers. Not hackers. Although, I do have to wonder how Jester got in on the application layer. That would have had to have been one sneaky worm to figure out all those servers, and just getting it on to a computer with access would have been a feat in and of itself. Perhaps old man Phelps finally got his Karma after downloading too much gay porn.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#16 Feb 26, 2011
GOD did it
.
Never underestimate the power of GOD's Commodore64
.
Sugar

“I am happy”

Since: Jul 08

St. Petersburg, FL

#17 Feb 26, 2011
Wow........ Well, I bet Fred Phelps choked on a chicken wing after that.

“I am happy”

Since: Jul 08

St. Petersburg, FL

#18 Feb 26, 2011
Josh in New Orleans wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, they're lawyers. Not hackers. Although, I do have to wonder how Jester got in on the application layer. That would have had to have been one sneaky worm to figure out all those servers, and just getting it on to a computer with access would have been a feat in and of itself. Perhaps old man Phelps finally got his Karma after downloading too much gay porn.
I do not think this was the first time someone threatened to hack their site. It would be far funnier if someone placed unicorns on the site......

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#19 Feb 26, 2011
Josh in New Orleans wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, they're lawyers. Not hackers. Although, I do have to wonder how Jester got in on the application layer. That would have had to have been one sneaky worm to figure out all those servers, and just getting it on to a computer with access would have been a feat in and of itself. Perhaps old man Phelps finally got his Karma after downloading too much gay porn.
probably wasn't a problem, Phelps probably did not use anti virus software, depended on the programs to work under protection of the Lord. and after all If there is a virus soft ware in his computer he can now sue them for failure to protect.

this is not about God or Gays, its about money and suits and settlements.
SLIF

Toronto, Canada

#20 Feb 26, 2011
But when these cults are not on their computers,then they take to the streets instead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 4 min chris toal 27,045
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 23 min Poof1 6,132
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 36 min KiMare 5,311
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 42 min KiMare 73
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMare 51,305
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 1 hr KiMare 3,129
Biggest Gay Lies (May '14) 2 hr lgbt is silly 2,734
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 12 hr Frankie Rizzo 68,616
Supreme Court Has 'Tipped Its Hand' In Favor Of... 12 hr WasteWater 39
Prison Sex, Nude Selfies, Science, and Scandals... 13 hr Belle Sexton 2
More from around the web