DOMA On The Mat- 80% Chance Of Being ...

DOMA On The Mat- 80% Chance Of Being Struck Down

There are 46 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Mar 27, 2013, titled DOMA On The Mat- 80% Chance Of Being Struck Down . In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

In the wake of oral arguments, the Defense of Marriage Act or DOMA appears to be pretty much doomed with at least five votes to strike the law from the land

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Mar 27, 2013
IF they get to the merits of the case.

And the justices spent an hour just on the standing issue, with both liberal & conservatives questioning BLAG's standing.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#2 Mar 27, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
IF they get to the merits of the case.
And the justices spent an hour just on the standing issue, with both liberal & conservatives questioning BLAG's standing.
I agree. I hope they rule on the merits of teh case. If they do, I believe that the decision will be at lest 6-3 to strike down DOMA.(and hopefully they will also rule that Clinton "shall be hanged by the neck until dead" for signing it in the first place. THE BASTARD !)

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#3 Mar 27, 2013
Even if they find no standing on both the Prop 8 case and this one, wouldn't that still translate into wins for our side?

Not just that Prop 8 would be overturned once and for all and Section 3 of DOMA would be history, but also the fact that there would be precedent set by the SCOTUS that it's damn near impossible to demonstrate standing on the anti-marriage side?

I still maintain that Prop 8 will be tossed on very narrow or technical issues (so that the SCOTUS can shirk their duties and not rule on the constitutionality of same-sex marriage rights), and at least Section 3 of DOMA, if not more of it, will be thrown out on fairly broad terms (because there's just no way to support treating some couples differently based on some people's religious bigotry).

Thoughts?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Mar 27, 2013
eJohn wrote:
Even if they find no standing on both the Prop 8 case and this one, wouldn't that still translate into wins for our side?
Not just that Prop 8 would be overturned once and for all and Section 3 of DOMA would be history, but also the fact that there would be precedent set by the SCOTUS that it's damn near impossible to demonstrate standing on the anti-marriage side?
I still maintain that Prop 8 will be tossed on very narrow or technical issues (so that the SCOTUS can shirk their duties and not rule on the constitutionality of same-sex marriage rights), and at least Section 3 of DOMA, if not more of it, will be thrown out on fairly broad terms (because there's just no way to support treating some couples differently based on some people's religious bigotry).
Thoughts?
If SCOTUS refuses to rule on teh merits of both cases because of teh standing issue (a legitimate concern), it woudl be a partial victory for us based on a technicality, when want we wants is a COMPLETE VICTORY based upon the 14th Amednment, that very specifically and clearly states in part that "No State shall make or enforce ANY (emphais added) law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the EQUAL PROTECTION (emphasis added) of the laws.

The 14th Amednment, nor any part of the U.S. Constitution does NOT contain exceptions to these GUARANTEES. It does NOT say "EXCEPT FOR GAY AND LESBIAN AMERICANS WHO ARE SPECIFICALLY NOT AFFORDED THESE CONSTITUTIONAL PROTECTIONS SET HEREIN BECAUSE WE JUST DON'T LIKE THEM."

IT DOESN'T SAY THAT !

If the writers of the 14th Amendment WANTED to esclude certain Americans from constitutional protections, THEY WOULD HAVE SAID THAT. And the states agreed, because the necessery number of states RATIFIED THAT AMENDMENT.

CASE CLOSED !

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7 Mar 27, 2013
DOMA will become dust.

Location hidden

#8 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
If SCOTUS refuses to rule on teh merits of both cases because of teh standing issue (a legitimate concern), it woudl be a partial victory for us based on a technicality, when want we wants is a COMPLETE VICTORY based upon the 14th Amednment, that very specifically and clearly states in part that "No State shall make or enforce ANY (emphais added) law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the EQUAL PROTECTION (emphasis added) of the laws.
The 14th Amednment, nor any part of the U.S. Constitution does NOT contain exceptions to these GUARANTEES. It does NOT say "EXCEPT FOR GAY AND LESBIAN AMERICANS WHO ARE SPECIFICALLY NOT AFFORDED THESE CONSTITUTIONAL PROTECTIONS SET HEREIN BECAUSE WE JUST DON'T LIKE THEM."
IT DOESN'T SAY THAT !
If the writers of the 14th Amendment WANTED to esclude certain Americans from constitutional protections, THEY WOULD HAVE SAID THAT. And the states agreed, because the necessery number of states RATIFIED THAT AMENDMENT.
CASE CLOSED !
Well said my friend.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#9 Mar 27, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, I'm listening now.
All the time spent on standing has me concerned. If they don't find standing, it's gonna be a mess going forward. Which might be reason enough to grant standing.
Exactly......in this case we need standing in order to get it tossed.....at least that is what I believe!!!!

I'm also listening to it!!!

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#10 Mar 27, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said my friend.
Appoint me Chief Justice, or elect me King, and I shall rule with an Iron Sceptre. But ALWAYS be Fair. And Balanced.

:)
Red Code Boy Attracter

Pittsfield, MA

#11 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I hope they rule on the merits of teh case. If they do, I believe that the decision will be at lest 6-3 to strike down DOMA.(and hopefully they will also rule that Clinton "shall be hanged by the neck until dead" for signing it in the first place. THE BASTARD !)
You should be thanking him FaFoxy. He is the poster boy for failed morals and virtues. He, nor Obumma's view aren't a matter of 'evolving' more so than a matter of lying. They'll sell your soul in a mere change of wind direction wherever that dirty dollar blows, and that day is very near.
Zionist owned and operated, The United States of Israel is destroying the world.
The very first moment that my children are 'exposed' to liberal thinking fetishes in their school rest assured they will be removed and many will follow our lead.
One of these days.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#12 Mar 27, 2013
Red Code Boy Attracter wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be thanking him FaFoxy. He is the poster boy for failed morals and virtues. He, nor Obumma's view aren't a matter of 'evolving' more so than a matter of lying. They'll sell your soul in a mere change of wind direction wherever that dirty dollar blows, and that day is very near.
Zionist owned and operated, The United States of Israel is destroying the world.
The very first moment that my children are 'exposed' to liberal thinking fetishes in their school rest assured they will be removed and many will follow our lead.
One of these days.
Well, I went to a private school. I'm against public schools. They're EVIL. You should be sending your children to a private school. If you're sending you're children to public schools to be poisined by the Dmes and Libs, then you yourself are willingly complicit in their evilness and therefore you too are also PURE EVIL.

Location hidden

#13 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Appoint me Chief Justice, or elect me King, and I shall rule with an Iron Sceptre. But ALWAYS be Fair. And Balanced.
:)
Sure Foxy. I like the fair and balanced part. Do you get to use the iron sceptre to whack upside the head those who get out of line?

Location hidden

#14 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I went to a private school. I'm against public schools. They're EVIL. You should be sending your children to a private school. If you're sending you're children to public schools to be poisined by the Dmes and Libs, then you yourself are willingly complicit in their evilness and therefore you too are also PURE EVIL.
You got it wrong. The phony baloney conservatives are PURE EVIL.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#15 Mar 27, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure Foxy. I like the fair and balanced part. Do you get to use the iron sceptre to whack upside the head those who get out of line?
EXACTLY !:)

Don't you remember that Bugs Bunny cartoon ?("The very air abounds with kings !" ROFL !)

Location hidden

#16 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
EXACTLY !:)
Don't you remember that Bugs Bunny cartoon ?("The very air abounds with kings !" ROFL !)
Yea. Good stuff!!!

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#17 Mar 27, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea. Good stuff!!!
GREAT humor is ALWAYS funny. I still watch Bugs Bunny when I can, and I've been watching it for over 50 years. And I NEVER get tired of it.(Wabbit season ! ROFL !)

When I was very young, 2 of my FAV cartoon shows were Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear by Hanna-Barbera. Oddly enough, for reasons I cannot understand, they're on tv here 2am 2.30am. Granted I'm on Mountain Standard Time (ALWAYS) which is Pacific Daylight Time now, but that still means they are on at 5am Eastern Daylight Time. What parents let their kids up at that hour to watch tv ?!

Location hidden

#18 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
GREAT humor is ALWAYS funny. I still watch Bugs Bunny when I can, and I've been watching it for over 50 years. And I NEVER get tired of it.(Wabbit season ! ROFL !)
When I was very young, 2 of my FAV cartoon shows were Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear by Hanna-Barbera. Oddly enough, for reasons I cannot understand, they're on tv here 2am 2.30am. Granted I'm on Mountain Standard Time (ALWAYS) which is Pacific Daylight Time now, but that still means they are on at 5am Eastern Daylight Time. What parents let their kids up at that hour to watch tv ?!
So you are right up there with me. I feel like the kids are deprived of real cartoons these days.
The Worlds Biggest Lie

Cummington, MA

#19 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Though I agree with your public school assertions I disagree that I am to blame since most families cannot afford a private school because of the tax code and corporate shills. Just the way the jews and liberals want America.
Less educated and poor.
The Worlds Biggest Lie

Cummington, MA

#20 Mar 27, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are right up there with me. I feel like the kids are deprived of real cartoons these days.
Yeah, and guess 'who' controls and influences what comes through that tv set of yours?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#21 Mar 27, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I haven't watched any "new" cartoon shows in decades, witht he sole exceptionof "The Simpsons" which I began watching when they were just shorts on "The Tracey Ullman Show" in 1987. "The Tracey Ullman Show"is one of my FAV show sof al time, and "The Simpsons" is also one of my FAV shows of all time. It WAS brilliant, biting, sitirical and just plain funny, but I think it jumped the shark unfortunately a few years ago.

i LOVE humor.

The one sitcome I still always watch in reruns is "FRASIER" cuz i think it is the FUNNIEST AND BEST-WRITTEN SITCOM EVER, AND IT is VERY gay. LOL

Location hidden

#22 Mar 27, 2013
The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and guess 'who' controls and influences what comes through that tv set of yours?
False assumption. I don't have a TV set. Bores me even more than your posts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 25 min Concerned 14,002
Jades Diary 34 min NE Jade 11
BIG Thanksgiving Party 39 min Dillon 3
News In Kentucky town, gay-marriage opponent Davis s... 1 hr Wondering 5
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Complaining 57,903
News Gay bar opens near Macon Road, drawing visitors... 1 hr Will Dockery 673
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 26,317
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 2 hr ThomasA 173
More from around the web