Illinois State Senator Uses Old Argum...

Illinois State Senator Uses Old Argument To Attack Marriage Equality

There are 10 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Feb 15, 2013, titled Illinois State Senator Uses Old Argument To Attack Marriage Equality . In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Unlawful Discrimination. “Unlawful discrimination” means discrimination against a person because of his or her race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, order of protection status, disability, military status, sexual orientation, or unfavorable discharge from military service as those terms are defined in this Section.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

David Traversa

Villa Angelica, Argentina

#1 Feb 15, 2013
Ridiculous .. manipulative and , as usual , unconvincing .. last minute desperate tactics .

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#2 Feb 15, 2013
I tried doing a Google search for "wedding businesses closed because of marriage equality". Nearly every hit was about corporations that have thrown their SUPPORT behind marriage equality, or businesses that are taking advantage of the new wedding opportunities.

I was able to find a COUPLE examples, one being the Catholic church (not a business), pulling out of the adoption-placement business (even though a little research shows that they WERE placing children with same-sex couples, up until the law FORCED them to do what they were already doing). Another example was a tour-trolley company in Annapolis, MD, which chose to end its wedding-themed tours, but it did not close entirely.

So that's 2, if you count the church as a business, and if you count a business that altered its business plan rather than closing. But these are pretty weak examples. I'm sure some deeper digging would find SOMETHING more, but the way these people talk, it's an EPIDEMIC of closures that are sweeping the pro-gay states. It seems like that sort of thing should command a MUCH larger profile of visibility.

Does anyone have any links or other resources which point to these so-called closures? Where is all this happening? I have to suspect that this is just fear-mongering, with little or no support from reality.

Couldn't these businesses make this very same argument to refuse to serve couples in inter-racial marriages? Do these businesses turn away divorcees who are remarrying someone else? This is a practice that is explicitly prohibited in the Bible, by JESUS HIMSELF in his own words, no less.

This argument seems to make no sense, and I guess that's why it fails. If this really WAS happening, it should be easy to confirm, but I've had no luck. Is the anti-gay position based on ANYTHING besides alarmist lies?
Here Kitty Kitty

Alpharetta, GA

#3 Feb 15, 2013
Evangelical fundamentalists manipulate people by lying to them
Feed 'em to the lions
Here Kitty Kitty

Alpharetta, GA

#5 Feb 15, 2013
The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuality is a lie. Vice. How's that parental argument comin along?
Ohhhh, so sorry.......Poor baby????
Homosexual is one of the Great Orientaions of the World
Heterosexual is the other
Homosexually oriented people let Heterosexually oriented live; solely to churn out more and more borngay babies to populate the earth
Quit complaining and make us some more borngay babies
Right now!
Or we'll feed you to the lions

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Feb 16, 2013
Typical bigots trying to justify discriminating against people by citing religious beliefs; just like they did with blacks.

Of course the scream bloody murder if anyone uses their "deeply held beliefs" to dicriminate against a religious freak.

“Married 6/17/08”

Since: Feb 07

Porterville, CA

#7 Feb 16, 2013
Here Kitty Kitty wrote:
Evangelical fundamentalists manipulate people by lying to them
Feed 'em to the lions
Why do you hate lions? lol

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Feb 16, 2013
Illinois will make 10 states with marriage equality, covering 20% of the total population.

Add California in Jun and that makes 1/3rd of the population living in states with marriage equality.

Aaaah, progress.....

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#9 Feb 16, 2013
jcofe wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you hate lions? lol
This is an old one, but it makes me laugh every time.

So, in ancient Rome, they had just finished feeding the Christians to the lions. The lions were back stage and one of the lions saw his buddy licking his own ass. The first lion asked his pal "What gives?" The second lion stopped licking and said "I'm trying to get the taste of Christians out of my mouth!"
Reggie

Salt Lake City, UT

#10 Feb 16, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>The lions were back stage and one of the lions saw his buddy licking his own ass.
Must have been a gay lion huh.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#11 Feb 16, 2013
Reggie wrote:
<quoted text>
Must have been a gay lion huh.
Must have been a non coward who is not too gutless to use one name and register, right "REGGIE"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Britain, EU plunged into uncertainty by exit vote 5 min ELISE GINGERICH 1
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 49 min Ibn Ali Qatari 592
News Gay pride stabber sentenced to life in prison 51 min Fa-Foxy 2
News Christine Wicker: Learning to Talk About God an... (Sep '10) 57 min Joy to the World 29
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr Repub 12,962
2016 NOM DC March for Marriage FAIL 1 hr Joy to the World 1
News After Orlando, some businesses stress LGBT incl... 1 hr Lanny 3
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr lides 37,248
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 3 hr Go Blue Forever 898
More from around the web