Kansas Senate Leader Says Anti-Gay Bi...

Kansas Senate Leader Says Anti-Gay Bill Will Not Pass

There are 31 comments on the The Huffington Post story from Feb 14, 2014, titled Kansas Senate Leader Says Anti-Gay Bill Will Not Pass. In it, The Huffington Post reports that:

The Kansas Senate will not pass a bill in its current form that would prevent lawsuits against someone who refuses, for religious reasons, to provide services to gays and lesbians, the chamber's president said Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Huffington Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Larry

Richardson, TX

#1 Feb 14, 2014
Another BLESSING.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#2 Feb 14, 2014
Ah, a bit of sanity coming from the Wheat State. I was beginning to wonder if there was anyone in the Kansas house or senate who might have even a tenuous grasp on reality.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#5 Feb 14, 2014
It doesn't sound to me like this destructive bill is anywhere near dead. EQ KS has it's work cut out just to make sure gays and lesbians are run over by pick-up, not a triple tractor trailer.
Marcavage s Trick

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Feb 14, 2014
The sub head doesn't say whether the stone age Republicans will not see it passed because it's too blatantly bigoted or is not bigoted enough.

In any event, something so similar was found unconstitutional in Romer.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#8 Feb 14, 2014
It looks to me like what they're doing if virtually ensuring that the courts WILL start to rule that gay folks are a suspect class requiring heightened scrutiny when it comes to legal and anti-discrimination protections.

How could one ever argue that GLBT folks aren't subjected to institutionalized discrimination when states start passing laws saying it's okay to refuse us service for "religious" reasons???

Littleton, NH

#11 Feb 14, 2014
eJohn wrote:
It looks to me like what they're doing if virtually ensuring that the courts WILL start to rule that gay folks are a suspect class requiring heightened scrutiny when it comes to legal and anti-discrimination protections.
How could one ever argue that GLBT folks aren't subjected to institutionalized discrimination when states start passing laws saying it's okay to refuse us service for "religious" reasons???
The homophobes are their own worst enemies. They overreached in Colorado and have never looked back.

“ reality, what a concept”

this one

#12 Feb 14, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
It doesn't sound to me like this destructive bill is anywhere near dead. EQ KS has it's work cut out just to make sure gays and lesbians are run over by pick-up, not a triple tractor trailer.
From what I am hearing, there are only 15 definite votes in favor and they need 21 to pass it. I expect this is more of a speed bump than a derailment, the outcry that this announcement will bring ought to scare enough of the no votes off the fence to pass it. The Republicans have 32 of the 40 seats, if they want it to pass, it will pass. The reluctance is coming from the fact that it has some incredibly vague provisions that could conceivably give folk a God excuse for pretty much anything you can't prove a compelling interest being served in stopping them from doing. The do unto the gay folk stuff you could sue them for if they do unto you provision isn't their real problem with it, it's the potential broadness of the exception they would actually be creating to go with it that has got them scared.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#13 Feb 14, 2014
Amazing. They want to remove language that would protect the religious freedom of firefighters and police, but make sure bakers and florists can use religion as a basis to violate the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

What a whacky State!
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#14 Feb 14, 2014
The Kansas Senate Leader is that rara avis : A man with an in-order working brain ..

this one

#15 Feb 14, 2014
He's a she and she's playing this impromptu implosion for the politics. They were about to create an exemption to pretty much any law, based on religious belief, that really had no clear boundaries and when that reality sunk in, more than half of the Senate Republicans freaked. The idea of a right to discriminate against the gay folk is far from dead, they just need to rethink how they can save those bigots without handing everyone a free pass to do pretty much whatever else they want, as long as God is to blame at some point.
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#16 Feb 14, 2014
Rick in Kansas wrote:
He's a she and she's playing this impromptu implosion for the politics. They were about to create an exemption to pretty much any law, based on religious belief, that really had no clear boundaries and when that reality sunk in, more than half of the Senate Republicans freaked. The idea of a right to discriminate against the gay folk is far from dead, they just need to rethink how they can save those bigots without handing everyone a free pass to do pretty much whatever else they want, as long as God is to blame at some point.
Thank you .. There are photos of all notable persons nowadays .. Is she that ugly ? You're right about the God bit , alas ...

this one

#18 Feb 14, 2014
david traversa wrote:
Thank you .. There are photos of all notable persons nowadays .. Is she that ugly ? You're right about the God bit , alas ...
As far as women in their mid 50's go, she'd actually do pretty good in most people's opinions, she certainly wouldn't scare anyone, don't know why they couldn't find a picture, especially considering this is coverage of an announcement she made to the press.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#19 Feb 14, 2014
eJohn wrote:
Exactly.

The antigay themselves *show* that protections are needed for the gay and pro-gay, even.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#20 Feb 14, 2014
Remember years ago when that organization "NOM" was lying and lying and lying through their teeth nonstop, at all times, every day, from dawn to dusk, and trying to REVERSE this entire situation and claim they were the harassed ones?

What in the **** do you call these state legislatures trying to openly, virulently treat the gay and pro-gay like substandard citizens? It was said then that the truth would come out; what's hilarious is that the ANTIGAY THEMSELVES are the ones evidencing that truth, nonstop, on a daily basis.
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#28 Feb 14, 2014
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>As far as women in their mid 50's go, she'd actually do pretty good in most people's opinions, she certainly wouldn't scare anyone, don't know why they couldn't find a picture, especially considering this is coverage of an announcement she made to the press.
Thank you again .. I wonder if there wasn't a bit of prejudice creeping in there .. but , no .. it must have been an oversight .. at least , one most earnestly hopes so ..
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#30 Feb 14, 2014
Outlawing due process should not be passed by anyone.

this one

#31 Feb 15, 2014
david traversa wrote:
Thank you again .. I wonder if there wasn't a bit of prejudice creeping in there .. but , no .. it must have been an oversight .. at least , one most earnestly hopes so ..
I hadn't looked at the link on this thread until you brought it up, surprised me that they didn't bother with a picture, since I know there are pictures of her making this particular announcement.

I had heard through my grapevine, shortly after the hearings in the House, that the numbers might not be there in the Senate to ensure its passage. The Republicans in the Senate have enough of a majority that they can afford to lose 12 of their own votes and still pass anything they want. Not even counting those thought to be on the fence, they've lost at least 14. It would, right now anyways, go down 18-22, if not worse, there are 3 or 4 of the 18 who still could go either way.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#32 Feb 15, 2014
Yea. Another monumental waste of time.

Littleton, NH

#33 Feb 16, 2014
hi hi wrote:
Remember years ago when that organization "NOM" was lying and lying and lying through their teeth nonstop, at all times, every day, from dawn to dusk, and trying to REVERSE this entire situation and claim they were the harassed ones?
Why, it seems like only yesterday. Oh, actually, it was only yesterday!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#34 Feb 16, 2014
Truth wrote:
Outlawing due process should not be passed by anyone.
... unless they are total morons

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 1 hr Dump Drumpf 712
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr Barbi A 201,865
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 945
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 68,797
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr here 37,319
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 4 hr toabhah 36,047
2016 NOM DC March for Marriage FAIL 4 hr Mr Rogers 7
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 6 hr An NFL Fan 13,057
More from around the web