Seminole Square Files Lawsuit against...

Seminole Square Files Lawsuit against Shops at Stonefield

There are 14 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 22, 2013, titled Seminole Square Files Lawsuit against Shops at Stonefield. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The developer of the Shops at Stonefield now faces legal action from the owners of Seminole Square Shopping Center, which is just across Route 29.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

civil engineer

Silver Spring, MD

#1 Mar 25, 2013
It will be interesting to see if these hometown boys can convince the court that this BS suit is legitimate. I notice they didn't have the balls to include the state and the army corp of engineers in the suit even though they also signed off on it.

It looks like a way to thwart some competition because trader joes had no interest in moving into their outdated overpriced rental spaces.
Tom

Ruckersville, VA

#2 Mar 25, 2013
I suppose if you can't compete, sue?
still living

South Boston, VA

#3 Mar 25, 2013
More dirty money deals from the "good ol boy" officials giving some big shot national name permission to dump their garbage in some local's back yard. There's a surprise to wake up to. Pump 50 times more water down a 25 year old drainage pipe? Sure, its not like we have any sink hole problems around here.
Anothere Engineer

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Mar 25, 2013
Stonefield Shopping Center makes no water, not a single drop. The same rain falls on the shopping center as would have fallen on the parking lot and trees which were there before.

The issue is velocity. The new parking lot will shed water fast. That's why there is a detention basin under the parking lot. The guys across the street will get the same amount of water released in an appropriate velocity. The Core of Engineers permit such things.

Recently the drainage facilities have to be designed to handle the 100 year storm. Thats Camile sitting right on top of Stonefield. This makes the design extremely robust and the pipes big.
Lackies

Crozet, VA

#5 Mar 26, 2013
How and why did the c ounty approve this if the run-off is so severe?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Mar 26, 2013
Rather than sue, Pepsi should look at this as an opportunity. Filter the runoff and truck it out as 'Stonefield natural'.
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Mar 26, 2013
You have to wonder if the city can charge county businesses for discharging storm water into the city, which then the city's infrastructure will drain away. They certainly have no moral objection to charging non-profits and families in the city.
Watchful

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Mar 26, 2013
For additional perspective on the concerns raised in this lawsuit, ask the residents of Forest Lakes North about the deleterious effect of the construction of Wendell Wood's Hollymead Town Center (location of Kohl's, Harris Teeter, Target, etc.) on the lake closest to the Holly Memorial Gardens.
Frank

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Mar 26, 2013
Anothere Engineer wrote:
Stonefield Shopping Center makes no water, not a single drop. The same rain falls on the shopping center as would have fallen on the parking lot and trees which were there before.
The issue is velocity. The new parking lot will shed water fast. That's why there is a detention basin under the parking lot. The guys across the street will get the same amount of water released in an appropriate velocity. The Core of Engineers permit such things.
Recently the drainage facilities have to be designed to handle the 100 year storm. Thats Camile sitting right on top of Stonefield. This makes the design extremely robust and the pipes big.
there was a lot more land where the water could soak into. Now that is covered with concrete, so yes there is more water run-off.
jogger

Hillsville, VA

#10 Mar 26, 2013
Frivilous fear-mongering lawsuit....dismiss immediately....
real central Va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Mar 26, 2013
Anothere Engineer wrote:
Did you go to Uva for your engineering degree? The "same rain falls on the shopping center as would have fallen on the parking lot and trees which were there before" would permeate the soil and down to the water table, not run off into catch basins. Therefore the "guys across the street will get the same amount of water released in an appropriate velocity" statement is false. Also, "Recently the drainage facilities have to be designed to handle the 100 year storm. Thats Camile sitting right on top of Stonefield. This makes the design extremely robust and the pipes big"...sooo, the bigger pipes means a greater velocity AS WELL as a greater volume. Basic engineering stuff (you must have missed that class) And BTW, it's Corps not Core.
former frat brat

Chevy Chase, MD

#12 Mar 26, 2013
dear marine,
You missed the part about the gigantic resivoir that was built underneath the parking lot that catches 100% of the rainwater and then pumps it slowly into the pipe to maintain proper volume and velocity. Just like the law requires.
The water these people are crying (a river) about is rainwater that flows onto the stonefields propery from elswhere (up the hill , if my 2nd grade gravity lesson is right) and is merely passing through on its way to where it is supposed to go.
So "another engineer" is 100% correct.
Also I am no engineer but when I take my thumb off my hose and make the pipe bigger the velocity decreases.(at least thats how I write my name in the snow)
Whatever

Martinsville, VA

#13 Mar 26, 2013
former frat brat wrote:
Anyone who calls the Army Corps of Engineers a "core" is lying about being an "another engineer." Much much more likely that poster is a Stonefield PR shill.
real central Va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Mar 26, 2013
former frat brat wrote:
dear marine,
You missed the part about the gigantic resivoir that was built underneath the parking lot that catches 100% of the rainwater and then pumps it slowly into the pipe to maintain proper volume and velocity. Just like the law requires.
The water these people are crying (a river) about is rainwater that flows onto the stonefields propery from elswhere (up the hill , if my 2nd grade gravity lesson is right) and is merely passing through on its way to where it is supposed to go.
Also I am no engineer but when I take my thumb off my hose and make the pipe bigger the velocity decreases.(at least thats how I write my name in the snow)
Take your hands off your pipe, and reread things. Larger pipe means more capacity. Larger pipe also means more velocity (less restriction). Smaller pipe means more PRESSURE, not velocity.
"transient" water, as you put it, would not be an issue, if the ground were intact, with trees and grass, etc. to absorb the water. But it's not, is it? Why doesn't the "reservoir" catch the transient water? It's all crossing the same parking lots...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A new waterfront plan and major projects spur d... 6 hr Pennsylvania Guy 1
News Remnants of Erika: South Florida remains under ... 15 hr Go Blue Forever 1
News Dry out that basement fast, or risk costly mold... Aug 28 right 3
News National chiefs echo Manitoba First Nations' st... Aug 27 Robaire Picton - ... 4
News deluge Aug 25 Jim 2
News Morning Storm Brings Flash Flooding, Power Outa... Aug 20 Walter Glen stock... 1
News Official: 3 men missing in Alaska landslide pre... Aug 19 Elise Likes Vanilla 1
More from around the web