Proposal would ban leaf burning in so...

Proposal would ban leaf burning in some parts of St. Joseph County

There are 1 comment on the South Bend Tribune story from Nov 14, 2012, titled Proposal would ban leaf burning in some parts of St. Joseph County. In it, South Bend Tribune reports that:

It could soon be illegal to burn leaves in certain parts of the county, including in some neighborhoods and near homes, hospitals, schools, and places of business.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Bend Tribune.

Cary T

United States

#1 Nov 17, 2012
I would accept a leaf burning ban ONLY IF an economical solution for leaf removal is included. I have sympathy for those with breathing difficulties. However, I should not be made to pay extra for their health care. My trees provide oxygen to help aleviate their breathing difficulties. When the county eliminated leaf pick-up I did not get a break on my tax bill. Essencially, my taxes went up because services were reduced.
I compost most of my leaves, however I cannot compost them all. The private trash collection would only base their cost to me on the total number and size of the trees, not on the volumn of leaves I needed to be hauled off. This cost was almost 1/2 of my county tax bill! Mostly I burn small amounts of down sticks and branches in a burn barrell per ordinance.
My alternative would be to cut down some of the trees. This would deprive everyone of the benefits of the trees; beauty, shade, oxygen, and wind breaks.
If a county wide leaf burn ban is implenented then all residents should share the burden equally, not those that have trees on their property.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Make sure your rental is safe (Oct '15) 11 hr beware slumlords 2
News Halton Hills: check your smoke and CO alarms af... 12 hr other recalls 1
News Tennessee wildfires lead to evacuation of downt... 22 hr Grimy Phoxx 124
News Today In History - Dec 6th Wed Sink the Bismark 3
News Fitchburg fire chief and firefighters honored T... Wed Medal of Truth 7
News Community working together to help family of de... Wed ima hoosier 1
News Oakland fire Dec 6 But But But 4
More from around the web