Search Continues in Cave City for Missing Man

There are 20 comments on the Jun 13, 2010, Villager Journal Online story titled Search Continues in Cave City for Missing Man. In it, Villager Journal Online reports that:

Silas Lucas, missing from the Cave City Nursing Home June 12. If seen, call 911.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Villager Journal Online.

Dawn Gilmore

Batesville, AR

#21 Jun 16, 2010
You try to do everything right and then it doesnt work. Things line up just right for the seemingly impossible to happen, and you are left wondering how your plan messed up or how you didnt see the tradgedy coming your way. All the regrets and doubts seem to drown you, and all you want is to go back and make it right. But you cant because we are humans and mistakes will happen. Just when your plan seems to be infallible it fails. Accidents happen so fast but can haunt you forever. We all need to remember that day in our life when it all lined up against us before we judge others misfortunes. Yeah in theory ankle bracelets and cameras sound like a logical fix. But how would you like to be at the end of your life and have to live like youre in prison? On video at all times with an ankle bracelet on like a criminal. Can't even go into the lobby or look out the windows because someone is breathing down your neck all the time telling you to stay away from the doors. The Nursing Home is supposed to feel as much like home as possible. They are given every bit of dignity as possible to make them feel like they still have some control of their life. They arent animals in a cage. Its such a fine line and changes are made all the time to make sure they are safe but still have control. There are many changes yet to be made. Visitors need to be more careful who they hold the door for and that it locks behind them. When they enter the building, they need to be responsible for keeping an eye out. Its a team effort. Yes CCNH is responsible. It was a tragic accident that has happened, and I know the family is so hurt and angry. Theres nothing to fix how they feel. Sorry doesnt help. I understand that, But does it really help to say all these horrible lies about the Facility? I see both sides of this. Its human nature to want to string up the responsible party whether it was an accident or not. Its easy to judge when you arent involved. I Pray God is with us ALL. We Need Him More Than Ever In This Darkness.
Dawn Martin

Pearcy, AR

#22 Jun 16, 2010
Dawn Gilmore wrote:
You try to do everything right and then it doesnt work. Things line up just right for the seemingly impossible to happen, and you are left wondering how your plan messed up or how you didnt see the tradgedy coming your way. All the regrets and doubts seem to drown you, and all you want is to go back and make it right. But you cant because we are humans and mistakes will happen. Just when your plan seems to be infallible it fails. Accidents happen so fast but can haunt you forever. We all need to remember that day in our life when it all lined up against us before we judge others misfortunes. Yeah in theory ankle bracelets and cameras sound like a logical fix. But how would you like to be at the end of your life and have to live like youre in prison? On video at all times with an ankle bracelet on like a criminal. Can't even go into the lobby or look out the windows because someone is breathing down your neck all the time telling you to stay away from the doors. The Nursing Home is supposed to feel as much like home as possible. They are given every bit of dignity as possible to make them feel like they still have some control of their life. They arent animals in a cage. Its such a fine line and changes are made all the time to make sure they are safe but still have control. There are many changes yet to be made. Visitors need to be more careful who they hold the door for and that it locks behind them. When they enter the building, they need to be responsible for keeping an eye out. Its a team effort. Yes CCNH is responsible. It was a tragic accident that has happened, and I know the family is so hurt and angry. Theres nothing to fix how they feel. Sorry doesnt help. I understand that, But does it really help to say all these horrible lies about the Facility? I see both sides of this. Its human nature to want to string up the responsible party whether it was an accident or not. Its easy to judge when you arent involved. I Pray God is with us ALL. We Need Him More Than Ever In This Darkness.
How can you say having better security is like living in a prision....it is already a prision without that!!! whoever was on duty should be fired!!!! A life was lost!!!
sally

Cave City, AR

#23 Jun 16, 2010
Sonya Reynolds wrote:
We have 80 or so residents,so if you have ever worked in a nursing home you know how chaotic it can be at time,no one purposely let him out that's why I say accident. We take very good care of our residents and would never do ANYTHING to cause them harm. I believe neglect is something you knowingly, an accident is just what it is an accident.
We'll see how the STATE calls it.
Dawn Gilmore

Batesville, AR

#24 Jun 16, 2010
CCNH will work with State to fix the problem. Theres no question there. A life was lost.... No question there. I don't know why some of you act so high and mighty. What do you want them to do? Would it make you feel better if they said they killed him on purpose and closed the facility? Thats how it seems to me. Can you not see their side at all? There is no way to watch every resident every single minute of the day. Please get a reality check before you start deciding what should be done. There would have to be 80-90 CNAs. They were doing exactly what STATE recommended but he still got out. The thing that made this turn unusually tragic was that he wasnt found. I would have never believed that he wouldnt be found. It makes no sense that nobody found him. That poor man walked out the door and across the highway without anyone seeing or noticing. I cant grasp how this series of events could have come together and played out. He was right there but nobody that was searching could find him. I just want to make this all some bad dream iv had. I am so sorry for his family. I dont know any of them and didn't get a chance to take care of Silas, but He Looked like a really Sweet Man. Im sorry his wonderful smile has been taken from them. I know what it feels like to lose someone because of a stupid accident. Im just so sorry this happened. I am done with this website. You guys can argue without me, and be sure to post something really bad as a reply to my post. Hope it makes you feel better.
sick of it

United States

#25 Jun 16, 2010
you say seems you are bothering me that i think of it as nothing after reading back over over all that has been said where you got that view i have no clue as i said earlier noone has been hurt more than us at the nursing home we all work for these people. anything th
g to make them comfortable and happy is our goal. working with olxer people is very rewarding. the feeling of knowing you have made a difference i. someones life is a GREAT feeling. who do you think you are to judge me, to say you are botheringme talking about the death of the family ccnh. so cruel you are to go on and on about the horrible way this wonderful mans soul left this earth.you criticize,you blame, you ridicule, did you help? were you out im the woods full of briars that were ripping thru your jeans but it didnt matter only thinking of your mission to find him before harm came to him. did you pray for him, his family, for the hundreds looking for him that he be found in time. i dont no but got a good idea no you to busy sitting on the couch saying how neglegent ccnh was to have let this happen. bothering me YES you are bothering me.
I WAS OUT LOOKING TOO

Batesville, AR

#26 Jun 17, 2010
sick of it wrote:
you say seems you are bothering me that i think of it as nothing after reading back over over all that has been said where you got that view i have no clue as i said earlier noone has been hurt more than us at the nursing home we all work for these people. anything th
g to make them comfortable and happy is our goal. working with olxer people is very rewarding. the feeling of knowing you have made a difference i. someones life is a GREAT feeling. who do you think you are to judge me, to say you are botheringme talking about the death of the family ccnh. so cruel you are to go on and on about the horrible way this wonderful mans soul left this earth.you criticize,you blame, you ridicule, did you help? were you out im the woods full of briars that were ripping thru your jeans but it didnt matter only thinking of your mission to find him before harm came to him. did you pray for him, his family, for the hundreds looking for him that he be found in time. i dont no but got a good idea no you to busy sitting on the couch saying how neglegent ccnh was to have let this happen. bothering me YES you are bothering me.
YES I WAS OUT THERE LOOKING TOO SO NEXT TIME YOU ACCUSE SOMEONE OF SITTING ON THE COUCH KNOW THE FACTS FIRST!!!!!!
sally

Cave City, AR

#27 Jun 17, 2010
Dawn Gilmore wrote:
You try to do everything right and then it doesnt work. Things line up just right for the seemingly impossible to happen, and you are left wondering how your plan messed up or how you didnt see the tradgedy coming your way. All the regrets and doubts seem to drown you, and all you want is to go back and make it right. But you cant because we are humans and mistakes will happen. Just when your plan seems to be infallible it fails. Accidents happen so fast but can haunt you forever. We all need to remember that day in our life when it all lined up against us before we judge others misfortunes. Yeah in theory ankle bracelets and cameras sound like a logical fix. But how would you like to be at the end of your life and have to live like youre in prison? On video at all times with an ankle bracelet on like a criminal. Can't even go into the lobby or look out the windows because someone is breathing down your neck all the time telling you to stay away from the doors. The Nursing Home is supposed to feel as much like home as possible. They are given every bit of dignity as possible to make them feel like they still have some control of their life. They arent animals in a cage. Its such a fine line and changes are made all the time to make sure they are safe but still have control. There are many changes yet to be made. Visitors need to be more careful who they hold the door for and that it locks behind them. When they enter the building, they need to be responsible for keeping an eye out. Its a team effort. Yes CCNH is responsible. It was a tragic accident that has happened, and I know the family is so hurt and angry. Theres nothing to fix how they feel. Sorry doesnt help. I understand that, But does it really help to say all these horrible lies about the Facility? I see both sides of this. Its human nature to want to string up the responsible party whether it was an accident or not. Its easy to judge when you arent involved. I Pray God is with us ALL. We Need Him More Than Ever In This Darkness.
The employees need to make sure the door closes behind them! That's how he got out!
sally

Cave City, AR

#28 Jun 17, 2010
sick of it wrote:
you say seems you are bothering me that i think of it as nothing after reading back over over all that has been said where you got that view i have no clue as i said earlier noone has been hurt more than us at the nursing home we all work for these people. anything th
g to make them comfortable and happy is our goal. working with olxer people is very rewarding. the feeling of knowing you have made a difference i. someones life is a GREAT feeling. who do you think you are to judge me, to say you are botheringme talking about the death of the family ccnh. so cruel you are to go on and on about the horrible way this wonderful mans soul left this earth.you criticize,you blame, you ridicule, did you help? were you out im the woods full of briars that were ripping thru your jeans but it didnt matter only thinking of your mission to find him before harm came to him. did you pray for him, his family, for the hundreds looking for him that he be found in time. i dont no but got a good idea no you to busy sitting on the couch saying how neglegent ccnh was to have let this happen. bothering me YES you are bothering me.
I don't know who you are talking to but i am his family and yes I was looking for him all day Saturday!
oh my gosh

Peapack, NJ

#29 Jun 17, 2010
you say your family. funny rumor has it family was on vacation at a near by lake and when informed said to let them no when there was news of his whereabouts. they didnt even show up untill late saturday. is that when you were searching seems sick of it struck a nerve arguing and blaming and accusing is not going to change anything only prayer is the only answer.
Debbie Taylor

Cave City, AR

#30 Jun 17, 2010
Hey sister, I was looking for him. As soon as I heard it on the scanner I was out the door and was up town looking everywhere. Me and one of my daughters were looking all day.Don't tell me I wasn't looking. I'm not arguing either. The rest of the family were camped out at Heber at a family reunion. You'll have to take it up with them about that. I'm sure they will talk to you about it if you'll go up to them and ask them about it. He was my uncle and if you want to vertify that find me at the visitation.
laybe

Corpus Christi, TX

#31 Jun 17, 2010
CRAZY wrote:
that facility is REALLY bad. I used to work there and I wouldnt recommend putting a dog in there. Its sad how people are treated in that facilty. Its sad that this happened and granted it could happen in any facility. But to work there and see what goes on on a daily basis you would realize what I mean. You have to have a heart to work with old people and if you cant treat them with respect then you dont need to work with older people. Those girls dont realize that one of these days they will be old to and they will be in the same shape as some of those people and they will be at the mercy of others that might be just as heartless as them. But I guess what goes around comes around!!!
I would like to talk with you to get the "real" story!Seems like there are alot of them floating around.

Since: May 10

Akron, OH

#33 Jun 17, 2010
sally wrote:
<quoted text>
How is Silas your uncle?
HE IS MY MOTHERS OLDER BROTHER. THAT'S HOW HE IS MY UNCLE. THANK TOU VERY MUCH.
anonymous

Cave City, AR

#34 Jun 17, 2010
Just gotta ask one question to the main arguer here that thinks they know what the hell their talking about.....DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORKED IN A NURSING HOME BEFORE? Oh and for the record the employees of CCNH is PERFECTLY aware of the fact that Mr Silas is "your words" "Dead" so you can stop telling them like they don't already know that. Everyone is grieving over this horrible tragedy and people like you just thrive on making things worse for everyone. People like you make ME sick, ones who just don't know when to shut up. CCNH employees all loved Bro. Lucas and as all of their residents and would never deliberatly try to harm or put them in any kind of danger. So maybe you need to take a step back and look in the mirror b/c I am almost certain unless your God himself that your not perfect and have done or made large mistakes in your life that you wish so much you could take back today. CCNH is now in process of making sure this never happens again and I know this will make them all stronger in the future to insure that fact. All this hatred and anger will only come back to bite YOU and Lord be with you when it does. May God bless the family, employees of CCNH and everyone who knew him. We all loved him and will all remember the sweet little man he was.
Sonya Reynolds

Cave City, AR

#35 Jun 17, 2010
Have you ever worked in a nursing home?
Sonya Reynolds

Cave City, AR

#36 Jun 17, 2010
Have you ever worked in a nursing home? 4 of my grandparents were in nursing homes, I am grateful to the staff for taking care of them, do I want my parents in one? Not especially but I have been a CNA since 92, does anyone relize how hard it is to try and take care of a elderly person? I would love to keep my parents with me but I know it would not be an easy task,no matter how much you love them. Our nursing home IS NOT a prison,you should be ashamed to even say that.It's one happy home and no matter what anyone says our home loves and cares for everyone of our residents. Yes accidents happen and if we would have had a system it could have been avoided,but every person makes mistakes and our home will live with this one a very long time. Those who care please keep our residents and staff in your thoughts and prayers.
Known

Pearcy, AR

#37 Jun 17, 2010
anonymous wrote:
Just gotta ask one question to the main arguer here that thinks they know what the hell their talking about.....DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORKED IN A NURSING HOME BEFORE? Oh and for the record the employees of CCNH is PERFECTLY aware of the fact that Mr Silas is "your words" "Dead" so you can stop telling them like they don't already know that. Everyone is grieving over this horrible tragedy and people like you just thrive on making things worse for everyone. People like you make ME sick, ones who just don't know when to shut up. CCNH employees all loved Bro. Lucas and as all of their residents and would never deliberatly try to harm or put them in any kind of danger. So maybe you need to take a step back and look in the mirror b/c I am almost certain unless your God himself that your not perfect and have done or made large mistakes in your life that you wish so much you could take back today. CCNH is now in process of making sure this never happens again and I know this will make them all stronger in the future to insure that fact. All this hatred and anger will only come back to bite YOU and Lord be with you when it does. May God bless the family, employees of CCNH and everyone who knew him. We all loved him and will all remember the sweet little man he was.
First of all I am family and NO I HAVE NEVER HAD TO WORK AT A NURSING HOME BUT I HAVE WORKED AT WRMC AND I QUIT BECAUSE OF SOME NEGLECT WITH A PATIENT I FELT WAS WRONG SO I KNOW I WOULD NEVER WORK IN A NURSING HOME BECAUSE I COULD NOT STAND HOW SOME THINGS THAT I HEAR GOES ON!!!!! I have a great job so no I dont want to or never have worked at a nursing home!!!!! People like me make you sick you dont even no me so who is judging who?? It was a terrible accident never said it was done on purpose but someone has to be accountable for this death!!! Do you people not get that this person was in your care and you just let him walk out the door to his death!!!!!!! Yes I have made mistakes but never to this magnitude!!!! I never said I was perfect and in a way saying the cc nursing home is responsible for his death is not judging it is the truth!!!!! Buy the way you really can not say how you would feel because if this was your dad you dont know what you would do bc you have never been in this postion in life!!! Oh bye the way thanks for wishing something bad happens to me just shows what kind of person you really are!!!!
Dawn Martin

Pearcy, AR

#38 Jun 17, 2010
Sonya Reynolds wrote:
Have you ever worked in a nursing home? 4 of my grandparents were in nursing homes, I am grateful to the staff for taking care of them, do I want my parents in one? Not especially but I have been a CNA since 92, does anyone relize how hard it is to try and take care of a elderly person? I would love to keep my parents with me but I know it would not be an easy task,no matter how much you love them. Our nursing home IS NOT a prison,you should be ashamed to even say that.It's one happy home and no matter what anyone says our home loves and cares for everyone of our residents. Yes accidents happen and if we would have had a system it could have been avoided,but every person makes mistakes and our home will live with this one a very long time. Those who care please keep our residents and staff in your thoughts and prayers.
OK STUPID PEOPLE LET ME GET A LITTLE HICK.....NO I HAVE NEVER WORKED IN A NURSING HOME NEVER SAID IT WAS A PRISION SAID TO THE RESIDENTS IT IS WHEN YOU ARE SUDDENLY TAKEN FROM YOUR HOME AND PUT IN A NURSING HOME IS LIKE BEING IN A PRISION TO THEM!!!!!! I NEVER SAID IT WASNT HARD WORK IT IS VERY HARD WORK!!!! THIS NURSING HOME NEEDS A SYSTEM OF POLICY IN PLAY FOR SPECIAL PATIENTS!!! ANSWER ME THIS SONYA DO YOU THINK THE PERSON THAT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE IN CHARGE OF SILAS SHOULD BE FIRED??? PRAY FOR THE FAMILY OF SILAS THE VISITATION IS TOMORROW AND IT IS GOING TO BE HARD FOR THEM!!!
Sonya Reynolds

Cave City, AR

#39 Jun 17, 2010
Well said, you have said it all, you should have posted your name because then I could thank you in person! Since all these people want to just keep degrading us I say All of us quit this site and not give them the satisfaction to keep continuing to do this. We've all cried over Silas and the whole situation,God Knows our heart....these people sure do not....we SHOULD NOT have to keep defending ourselves to them. TO ALL THAT SUPPORT US AND STAND UP FOR OUR HOME......THANK YOU EACH AND EVERYONE
Anonymous

Cave City, AR

#40 Jun 17, 2010
AMEN SISTER DAWN!!!!!! i am also done with this site!
anonymous

Cave City, AR

#42 Jun 17, 2010
Known wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all I am family and NO I HAVE NEVER HAD TO WORK AT A NURSING HOME BUT I HAVE WORKED AT WRMC AND I QUIT BECAUSE OF SOME NEGLECT WITH A PATIENT I FELT WAS WRONG SO I KNOW I WOULD NEVER WORK IN A NURSING HOME BECAUSE I COULD NOT STAND HOW SOME THINGS THAT I HEAR GOES ON!!!!! I have a great job so no I dont want to or never have worked at a nursing home!!!!! People like me make you sick you dont even no me so who is judging who?? It was a terrible accident never said it was done on purpose but someone has to be accountable for this death!!! Do you people not get that this person was in your care and you just let him walk out the door to his death!!!!!!! Yes I have made mistakes but never to this magnitude!!!! I never said I was perfect and in a way saying the cc nursing home is responsible for his death is not judging it is the truth!!!!! Buy the way you really can not say how you would feel because if this was your dad you dont know what you would do bc you have never been in this postion in life!!! Oh bye the way thanks for wishing something bad happens to me just shows what kind of person you really are!!!!
How would you know if I have ever been in this position to have lost a loved one in this way, so that shows you don't know me either!!! Yes you are judging the nursing home and everyone which (not wishing it upon you) that what you judge only comes back at you TEN times worse than the one your judging!!! Believe me the nursing home is fully aware that they are responsible for this and they are already and have been beating theirselves up over it harder than anyone can do it for them. The way you talk on here is horrible and it only shows what kind of person YOU really are. I am sorry this has happened to you and your family but is hatred really going to change anything? The fact is that it happened and everyone wishes that they could go back to last week and start over again but it just doesn't happen that way, don't worry, everyone will have to live with the misery that this sweet man got out under their care for the rest of their lives, and thats enough punishment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Quacking duck ringtone helps firefighter rescue... 6 hr Wholly Silicon Wafer 1
News Fire set in locked Alzheimer's unit at nursing ... (Feb '14) 11 hr Finally 8
News Finney questions fire safety at Civic Center 20 hr Marathon runner 51
News Ben Creek Buses Rerouted 23 hr blade 1
News Narcotics missing from fire stations Sat They cannot kill ... 2
News Fire calls: Jan. 6 - 12 (Jan '14) Fri Albert 2
News Accused Embezzler Sopko Back on Oak Forest Payr... (Jul '14) Apr 24 Rhonda C 33
More from around the web