Pay-to-Spray Firefighters Watch as Home Burns

Oct 4, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Corner

Imagine your home catches fire but the local fire department won't respond, then watches it burn.

Comments (Page 2,816)

Showing posts 56,301 - 56,320 of58,309
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

Amazing wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe it oh grasshopper.
Peace.
*Lol! If you say so.:)
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

"West TN. Couple Wanted In Connection With Dickson Co. Murder:(VIDEO)."

Click here:
http://www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/West-TN-Coup...

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

Reposted from James Dlutowski, City of Pittsburg Paramedic.
"An amazing thing happened today. When I trudged out of medic 5 this morning around 7, I wasn't particularly exhausted and it wasn't particularly busy overnight. I had to head down to Panera for the CQI Meeting at 8.
As I was putting my things in my car, I heard someone call my name. When I turned, a man around 20 years old stared me in the face. The look he wore was one of uncertainty. He said my... name again, and I asked how I could help him. Before I could answer, the man's arms were wrapped around me and I was getting a huge, warm hug from a perfect stranger. To be honest, had I had my handgun, I probably would have shot him. You don't lunge at someone in the hill district with outstretched arms.
The man asked if I remembered him. When I said no, he replied that he didn't expect to have had an impact on me, but assured me that my partner and I had changed his life forever last December. I instantly began searching my brain for some tragic, life threatening call with an excellent outcome from a year ago.
The man told me his name, gave me an envelope and said thank you and left. Our face to face interaction was very limited, but I could see that his face was ripe with emotions.
I sat in my car and opened the envelope. On the top of the letter were bold, uppercase letters which read "ONE HUNDRED MOMENTS YOU GAVE BACK TO ME". There was a brief introduction which explained why he sought us out.
The reason I couldn't remember the call was because the call was so nondescript. The young man explained in his letter how he had called 911 last year. The detail was for a non-emergency run for a 20 year old male who felt sick. It was in the Southside Flats on a narrow street. The street actually prompted some memories, because I remember my partner having to back all the way down to Carson because we couldn't make any turns onto any adjacent streets due to parking.
When we arrived at the man's apartment, at first there was no answer. When he opened the door, he immediately said he didn't need us anymore and that he was going to stay home. Paula and I offered to check him out and he reluctantly agreed. I remember he was slightly tachycardic, soaked in sweat and seemed very on edge.
After checking his vital signs and speaking to the kid, something just seemed wrong. There was no clinical indication of any life threatening event we could find, but the gut feeling was there. With a little prodding, he acquiesced to being transported for evaluation. We never did get him to verbalize a chief complaint of even allude to something that was bothering him. We talked a little about where he was from, his major in school and other idle conversation on the way to the hospital. That night when I wrote the chart was the last time until this morning I thought about that emergency call.
The letter explained that the young man had been pushed to his limit with family, social, work and school issues. He had been battling depression for some time and had a family history of depression with multiple relatively close family members committing suicide over the past quarter century.
The day he called 911, he called not to be transported to the hospital but instead so that we would come and find his body before his roommates came home. When he called for the ambulance, he had a handgun. When he disconnected the call, he put the gun into his mouth and pulled the trigger.
The gun was jammed. Before he had a chance to recover from him having pulled the trigger and nothing happening, there was a knock at the door. In the letter, he explained that he had picked such a mundane complaint because he expected it to take the ambulance longer to get there. He opened the door to usher us away, but was too afraid to be forceful about it as he was afraid he'd attract attention. He had two other guns sitting in on the kitchen table and was fully prepared to use them once we had left.
CONT.)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

CONT.)

It wasn't in the cards for him. Not for concern for the patient, but for it being so mundane and the middle of the night, we corralled the patient into the ambulance and were on the way to the hospital before he could get himself back into the house.
The four pieces of paper that came after the letter's introduction contained one hundred things he did in the past year that he wouldn't have been able to do had we let him go back in that house. Here are some examples:
#12: Got to say goodbye to my grandmother instead of her saying goodbye to me.
#24: Woke up for the first day since childhood not dreading what the day would hold.
#48: Held my nephew the day he was born.
#62: Had a Starbucks coffee.(I know it doesn't seem important but the little things are life sized when you almost never get to do them again.)
#100: I gave this letter to the people who changed my life forever.
I sat in my car for twenty minutes, stunned. Enclosed were pictures of him and his friends, him holding his nephews and family Thanksgiving Dinner pictures. I even went and looked up the tripsheet to be sure I was remembering the right call.
I have preached to my students in both the class and field settings, as well as to my past partners, that it's not just the "big whistles" which make a difference. Holding a terrified Alzheimer's patient's hand on the way to the hospital can make more of a difference than intubating that cardiac arrest. I never thought that there was a chance that a call that I considered to be essentially of no consequence could I have made such an impact on a young man's life.
Humbled, I share this with Facebook world not to showcase mine and Paula's actions. It should be a reminder to my fellow EMS providers that while we are in a thankless job, we all need to realize that we make a difference every single day. We leave some footprint in someone's life on each and every ambulance call we respond, no matter how trivial it seems to us. To some extent, we can control if that footprint is destructive and makes a bad situation worse or if it is remembered fondly as someone who was there during a tough time.
I also want to remind my colleagues including paramedics, physicians, nurses, counselors, and anyone who has contact with any other person ever: things are not always what they seem.
Without knowing it, a kind word or a little observation can rewrite history. When speaking to a patient, not every non-emergency is absent of the opportunity to make an impact just because it's a non-emergency. Not every person with depression, a toe injury or the sniffles is "below us". Granted, not all of them require an ambulance, but the way you speak to the person and how much effort you put in to linking them with appropriate resources can go a very long way.
So I ask everyone, in all walks of life, to think before you act. Mind yourself and respect others, no matter how infuriating their behavior. This isn't limited to just health care. The outer shell of a person may seem strong and whole while peering into the soul reveals a hurricane of turmoil. One kind word or the lack of one harsh word can create a different ending.".

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Very few times in my Life, have I ever wanted to hurt two Criminal Punks, as badly as wanted to hurt the One in the Video and the One behind the camera, as I was watching this.
----------
"Video Depicts Teens Laughing About Alleged Sexual Assault Victim:'She Is So Raped Right Now'."

Click here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-575619...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

...as badly as "I" wanted....
swxxxt

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

youtube.com/watch...
Sad Fire Fighters,,terrible
SSur

Humboldt, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

SSur
jack frye

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

sad

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

What is happening to People in this Country?
----------
"Chicago Lottery Winners Death Ruled A Homicide."

Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-lottery-winners...
friend

Piney Flats, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Gfdg
Sure enough

Martin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Really Sassy wrote:
What is happening to People in this Country?
----------
"Chicago Lottery Winners Death Ruled A Homicide."
Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-lottery-winners...
Wow..

“Laziness Rules!”

Since: Oct 12

Maybe I'll get to it tomorrow

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

Cops protest loss of donut subsidies.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

"Deepak Chopra's Top Tips To Reduce Stress."

Click here:
http://www.goredforwomen.org/live-healthy/fir...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

When are the Schools going to start suspending Bullies? If the Parents are too stupid and ignorant to stop their Monsters that they brought into this world, from bullying other Kids, the Schools are going to have to do the job, that the Parents should have done...or the Court System! Start holding the Parents responsible for the behavior of their Children, like it used to be...I'll bet you'd see some behavior changes, then!
----------
"Sheriff: High School Gunman Felt He'd Been Bullied."

Click here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57563443/...

“IMNTBHO”

Since: Dec 10

On The Road Again

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Really Sassy wrote:
When are the Schools going to start suspending Bullies? If the Parents are too stupid and ignorant to stop their Monsters that they brought into this world, from bullying other Kids, the Schools are going to have to do the job, that the Parents should have done...or the Court System! Start holding the Parents responsible for the behavior of their Children, like it used to be...I'll bet you'd see some behavior changes, then!
----------
"Sheriff: High School Gunman Felt He'd Been Bullied."
Click here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57563443/...
Tehy won't because the Libs do their best to tale the punishment options that have always worked away from parents and schools.

“IMNTBHO”

Since: Dec 10

On The Road Again

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

They*

Since: Dec 09

Romeoville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

You can look to the left, look to the right, but you will live in danger tonight. When the enemy comes, he will never be heard, he'll blow your mind and not say a word.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

RomeoHitman wrote:
You can look to the left, look to the right, but you will live in danger tonight. When the enemy comes, he will never be heard, he'll blow your mind and not say a word.
Well, aren't you just a bundle of joy?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

"18-Month-Old Dies Of Starvation, Parents Arrested:(VIDEO)."

Click here:

http://www.wbir.com/video/2088642835001/1/18-...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 56,301 - 56,320 of58,309
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••