Change in fire protection concerns so...

Change in fire protection concerns some Town of Manheim residents

There are 67 comments on the WKTV story from Jan 2, 2014, titled Change in fire protection concerns some Town of Manheim residents. In it, WKTV reports that:

Chet Syminski lives in the Town of Manheim, just minutes from the City of Little Falls Fire Department, but now, if he calls 911, he'll have to wait for the Village of Dolgeville volunteer fire department, which could take about a half hour to respond.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKTV.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
sad

Malone, NY

#1 Jan 2, 2014
If it costs the chief $38,000 to make one or two calls in the town of Manheim, he is way overpaid! Take the volunteers any day!!
H TWO OH

Little Falls, NY

#2 Jan 2, 2014
Yah get what yah pay for.......
Ridiculous

Syracuse, NY

#3 Jan 2, 2014
This whole thing frosts me. My taxes have quadrupled in the past decade. But now I have a volunteer fire department coming from many miles away if I have a fire? Even though LF is a stones throw?!

And how the heck do the rural ambulances work? I don't even know. Where are they stationed?

Do Manheim residents still call 9-1-1 in case of emergency, or send up smoke signals, or what?
OneSixSeven

Rome, NY

#4 Jan 3, 2014
Ridiculous wrote:
This whole thing frosts me. My taxes have quadrupled in the past decade. But now I have a volunteer fire department coming from many miles away if I have a fire? Even though LF is a stones throw?!
And how the heck do the rural ambulances work? I don't even know. Where are they stationed?
Do Manheim residents still call 9-1-1 in case of emergency, or send up smoke signals, or what?
I'm not that upset, look at the performance of Little Falls, history shows Dolgeville probably has a better record saving property. I don't think blaming the town helps, remember the city didn't get the Danube contract last year, it went to another vol department. I'd say someone in the city needs to practice their people skills. The paper said that the town offered a flat rate per square mile for the departments, Little Falls chose not to talk apparently. They are now doing the same with plowing! The city is a joke.
Dog patch

New Hartford, NY

#5 Jan 3, 2014
Can't wait until we have a station based right outside the LF city limits. Perhaps then we will contract our services to the City of LF. Not only will you save money, but your houses will not burn to the ground. Watch and see once this station is built how much we will have to come in and save the wannabe paid guys.
Questions

Little Falls, NY

#6 Jan 3, 2014
Ridiculous wrote:
This whole thing frosts me. My taxes have quadrupled in the past decade. But now I have a volunteer fire department coming from many miles away if I have a fire? Even though LF is a stones throw?!
And how the heck do the rural ambulances work? I don't even know. Where are they stationed?
Do Manheim residents still call 9-1-1 in case of emergency, or send up smoke signals, or what?
Count your blessings. It really could be worse. You are lucky you don't have to deal with the idiots and retards who run the City of Little Falls any longer.
OneSixSeven

Rome, NY

#7 Jan 3, 2014
A paid department in a city of less than 5000 people? I think Most vol. Departments cover more population. I really can't understand why they would look more money to cover the section of town. Cost them 38,000 to run two calls, when vol. Come in to provide water and help.
red solo

East Syracuse, NY

#8 Jan 3, 2014
Dog patch wrote:
Can't wait until we have a station based right outside the LF city limits. Perhaps then we will contract our services to the City of LF. Not only will you save money, but your houses will not burn to the ground. Watch and see once this station is built how much we will have to come in and save the wannabe paid guys.
Ya every time I turn around there's a house burning down in LF. Idiots.
Oh Geezus

Little Falls, NY

#9 Jan 3, 2014
sad wrote:
If it costs the chief $38,000 to make one or two calls in the town of Manheim, he is way overpaid! Take the volunteers any day!!
Who was the poor bastard that died in Manheim?
Stupid is as stupid does

Utica, NY

#10 Jan 3, 2014
Little Falls would've never made it, it would be like the car accident out by the old salad building on 5. The ambulance showed up, looked around said no one was there and left. The wrecker showed up, and long and behold there was a body. This would apply to a fire they couldn't drive to. Out of site out of mind.
Tax payer

Little Falls, NY

#11 Jan 3, 2014
My sister lives in finks. Basin just outside LF her home owners insurance is going up $300 because they now have St Johnville coverage and someone in Indian Castles rates are going up over $500.

At least with a paid dept there's someone there to respond, instead of waiting for people to get home from work to respond.
Manheimer

Schenectady, NY

#12 Jan 3, 2014
Oh Geezus wrote:
<quoted text> Who was the poor bastard that died in Manheim?
The poor guy that perished in the fire had nothing to do with Dolgeville if that's what your trying to say. The fire wasn't even reported until it was burnt to the ground. It was down in Keyser Lake with unplowed roads. Apparently burnt during the night.
Questions

Little Falls, NY

#13 Jan 3, 2014
Tax payer wrote:
My sister lives in finks. Basin just outside LF her home owners insurance is going up $300 because they now have St Johnville coverage and someone in Indian Castles rates are going up over $500.
At least with a paid dept there's someone there to respond, instead of waiting for people to get home from work to respond.
That's immaterial. The fact is that the people running the City are too stupid to respond to a simple request for a proposal, much less respond to a fire. You might as well try to contract with the Herkimer County ARC for your fire protection.
Stupid is as stupid does

New Hartford, NY

#14 Jan 3, 2014
Tax payer wrote:
My sister lives in finks. Basin just outside LF her home owners insurance is going up $300 because they now have St Johnville coverage and someone in Indian Castles rates are going up over $500.
At least with a paid dept there's someone there to respond, instead of waiting for people to get home from work to respond.
I called my insurance, and it is not going up. They actually said it's not based on Paid dept for vs Volunteer dept. It is actually based on other factors, distance to nearest hydrant, distance to FD, and the actual rating of the FD. The state actually does rate a fire dept per its responses, and the out comes of the responses. There is a website you can go again which would do a review of the FDs rating, and your insurance would be based on this rating. So this being said please stop trying to defend the LFFD, Kenny gee would be better at putting out a fire.

Since: Dec 13

littlefalls

#15 Jan 3, 2014
Stupid is as stupid does wrote:
Little Falls would've never made it, it would be like the car accident out by the old salad building on 5. The ambulance showed up, looked around said no one was there and left. The wrecker showed up, and long and behold there was a body. This would apply to a fire they couldn't drive to. Out of site out of mind.
PORK CHOP couldn't get out of the car but collected his o t pay.Pitiful parese and his drunk clown show, bring back al munger.
LFFD

New Hartford, NY

#16 Jan 3, 2014
Tax payer wrote:
My sister lives in finks. Basin just outside LF her home owners insurance is going up $300 because they now have St Johnville coverage and someone in Indian Castles rates are going up over $500.
At least with a paid dept there's someone there to respond, instead of waiting for people to get home from work to respond.
must be a slow day at station.
Oh Geezus

Little Falls, NY

#17 Jan 4, 2014
Manheimer wrote:
<quoted text>
The poor guy that perished in the fire had nothing to do with Dolgeville if that's what your trying to say. The fire wasn't even reported until it was burnt to the ground. It was down in Keyser Lake with unplowed roads. Apparently burnt during the night.
not trying to get at anything. Seemed like the right place to ask since there was no posts about it.
Tax payer

Little Falls, NY

#18 Jan 4, 2014
To clarify my statement about isurance. Rate, my sister has worked for about 25 years for a local insurance agency, so she found how much her insurance rates would be. I am not and never have been associated with the FDEpt. I not happy about what's happening in LF. Especially the codes officer. What does he do you never see him driving around checking stuff. We should train the firemen for codes enforcement .
Also all of the fire force should have to pass a military physical each year and lose their job if they can't pass it. Someone's life could depend on a fire mans ability to do hard, physical work
What's the answer, everyone sees problems, but nobody will step forward to do anything.

My alderman Jeff Gressler is trying to fix some of the problems but the people on topix just like to cut anyone up that's trying .

I' old and sickly and I couldn't take the abuse that get thrown at people.so I am afraid to do anything myself.
Cheeseforthewine

New Hartford, NY

#19 Jan 5, 2014
Tax payer wrote:
To clarify my statement about isurance. Rate, my sister has worked for about 25 years for a local insurance agency, so she found how much her insurance rates would be. I am not and never have been associated with the FDEpt. I not happy about what's happening in LF. Especially the codes officer. What does he do you never see him driving around checking stuff. We should train the firemen for codes enforcement .
Also all of the fire force should have to pass a military physical each year and lose their job if they can't pass it. Someone's life could depend on a fire mans ability to do hard, physical work
What's the answer, everyone sees problems, but nobody will step forward to do anything.
My alderman Jeff Gressler is trying to fix some of the problems but the people on topix just like to cut anyone up that's trying .
I' old and sickly and I couldn't take the abuse that get thrown at people.so I am afraid to do anything myself.
the problem is, Jeff is a coward. I used to like Jeff, but he has his little beautification agenda. I have brought many things up to Jeff about the City, and he will not speak up. The only time you see him bring something up,it is about beautification, condmned house, asbestos mountain, this type of stuff he speaks about. Never hear him bring up anything on Codes, DPW, FD, PD, this is the sign of a coward.
City Official

New Hartford, NY

#20 Jan 5, 2014
Why is it we respond to calls on the Thruway with Ambulance, but when it's called to Finks Basin we roll it over. I realize that we don't have a contract with Danube for fire protection, but if the Ambulance is called, the city gets paid by the insurance company. Last time I checked we didn't have a contract with the Thruway for services. So this being said, we can drive through Danube for a call, but can't respond to a call in Danube. Something sounds off here. Seems like our FD is playing god, and cost the tax payers revenue by not utilizing the three ambulances we have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Child dies in fire outside Point Pleasant - 4 hr knoher 8
News Criminal complaint details brutal slaying of Ne... Thu buypolar 1
News Fire destroys medical marijuana facility south ... Aug 24 RDL 1
News California firefighters stretched thin as blaze... Aug 24 Clinton Fire 1
News No horses harmed in massive Oakville barn fire Aug 23 Tory 1
News Baby dead, 3 missing after extra-alarm fire in ... Aug 23 grounded in reality 1
News Fire rips through home in rural Halton Hills Aug 23 Oakville barn 4
More from around the web