Memories of the April 2, 1982, Paris ...

Memories of the April 2, 1982, Paris tornado

There are 54 comments on the Paris Texas story from Apr 1, 2010, titled Memories of the April 2, 1982, Paris tornado. In it, Paris Texas reports that:

April 2, 1982, is one of those days modern day Paris residents remember just as those before us must have recalled the devastating Fire of 1916.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Paris Texas.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Florene Flatt

Lubbock, TX

#44 Mar 7, 2013
My husband and I lived on a ranch four miles from yhe loop (off FM 79). We had not heard the weather warnings. We saw the cloud coming and went into the little wheat field east of the house to drive the cows into the adjoining pasture. The lightening got so bad and the wind was blowing hard so we ran to the house. All of a sudden the wind got very still and I saw something floating gently down into the field and wondered what it was. Not knowing what was going on and the electricity was off--we lay down for a nap.
found out later that Paris had suffered that great tragedy. The thing floating down in our field was a trailer house door that had been ripped from someone's home!
nike

Lockhart, TX

#45 Mar 8, 2013
I do rememberthat day very well. I was 8 y.o. and just got off of the bus from n.l. I was watching cartoons and putting on my skates and the tv went off. So I turned on the radio, it went off also. So I called for my mom, she was washing clothes. She came to the door, and it was at Paris lumber at that time. We were living on Mansfield road then. She grabbed me and my little brother and we took cover on our brown metal shower. After we were in the shower, she grabbed the blue felt bed spread off of the bed to cover us with. I can remember looking out of the shower and seeing stuff flying outside of our sliding glass doors. I do not remember hearing the train sound, but I do remember seeing that we only had a broken window and my moms car had one dent and scratch with some tar on it. Our neighbors house on the north side lost their roof, and the neighbor on the south side lost all of thirty Windows. The house 2 doors down was completely gone. Thank goodness she was in Dallas visting her sister that day. The only thing that was left was her slab and her dresser. The dresser was standing were it was in her house, but it was empty. The road behind us, was completely gone. That was hanging drive. My dad was working at the highway department, and watched it from work. Write after that, my neighbors put in a strom shelter. The had my own chair, so I would feel safe in there. They were great neighbors, a reno version of Mr and Mrs Wilson from denis the menis show.
The very next day, I was admitted into the hospital to have my tonsils out. That was when you would spent the night in the hospital before you would have surgery, and the paper would have a section in the paper saying who was admitted and released from the hospital.
That was when pine valley was a forest, and there was snails at my bus stop.
I also remember the one that hit a few years later. I was at n.l. and they called for us to take shelter for a tornado. After it was over, a lot of parents starting to pick up their children early. But the school never did tell us that one had touched down. After my mom had picked me up, going home I saw some of the damage, and knew what happened.
Virgin Converter

United States

#46 Mar 8, 2013
Does anyone remember that exactly one week after the Paris tornado...April 16th....we had another storm roll in and it got as dark as night in the middle of the day. everyone was still on edge and it didn't do any damage but it was like part II was about to happen. I was at Paris High and recall the lights going out...they moved everyone to the hall. I got to help do some cleanup after the Paris Tornado and remember seeing an El Dorado Cadillac upside down with a telephone pole stuck in one door and out the other...like a toothpick. We saw entire houses that had been lifted and sat back down...upside down. Totally in tact. Huge trees that had been uprooted and sitting in the middle of the street. gas mains were blowing gas everywhere.

Since: Mar 13

United States

#47 Mar 8, 2013
I was on Sam Rayburn ISD school bus heading south in Lamasco Tx when our bus driver noticed the tornado touching down & ripping trees from the earth in a field to the east of us. It was approx. 3:30pm & I was in the 3rd grade. It was horrific for me. I'll never forget "losing it" from fear because my friends & I started laughing hysterically at sight of it & then immediately burst into tears. Bus driver put bus in reverse & backed all the way down the dirt road we were on and then turned onto FM 1396 heading west, to my house (closest storm cellar):) Only the storm had already made its way through our area & we were all safe. Some collateral damage occurred at Lake Bonham & in Allen's Chapel & points northeast of there before making it to Paris, I understood afterwards. My dad worked for Paris Coca-Cola during the time & he described his close encounter on his way home on hwy 82 like his "truck was fighting being sucked up by a big vacuum" - lol! He did get out of truck & in culvert along w/some others, he didn't know the others, but they stayed there until it passed. Scary day...I'm fascinated by these storms to this day but they also haunt me in my dreams......
fact

Paris, TX

#48 Mar 8, 2013
When Is Easter Sunday?

When Was Easter Sunday in 1982?

In the year 1982, Easter Sunday fell on:

April 11th

Find Out When Easter Sunday Is In Other Years
Misplaced Texan

United States

#49 Apr 8, 2013
I lived at 828 10thN.E., across from the park between Tudor and Grove st. Sis and I skipped school with my mom due to weather that day. Good thing we did...went out to Fm 195 to a storm shelter with friends and watched it move down the highway flinging houses as we fled inside. Had we been home we would have had a signpost thru our bedrom and my sis would not have celebrated her 16th birthday a week later on April 11th. Our neighbors were not as fortunate.
Meeee

Paris, TX

#50 Apr 9, 2013
Plz keep stories coming Verrrry interesting storie. I am also fascinated and super scAred of storms. :)
UILer

Paris, TX

#51 Apr 22, 2013
Bus rider wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless I dreamed it all I left Aikin on a bus to go to a UIL meet in Rockwall. I know this post is a year old but get the facts right.I arived back to a torned up town.I still have the paper cliping with all the kids names that were goin to the meet that day in my scrap book.No school for Paris students day. But UIL did happen.I was there.
i would love to see that list of names. I can really only remember those I was with that were in the same competition that I was in.
UILer

Paris, TX

#52 Apr 22, 2013
By the way. I am not asking that the list of names be posted here. Just saying it would be cool to see.
angie

Ashburn, VA

#53 May 21, 2013
hayseed wrote:
<quoted text>
UIL was a competition, not a test. Only a few students participated, so there is no reason it had to be on a school day. I have no idea whether it was held that day, but will refrain from calling someone a liar if they say it was.
We did have school the day of the tornado. I believe Mrs graves would have been my 2nd grade teacher in arron Parker elem. and we had just had our EASTER party, and me, my sister , and my brother all had our candy bags from our parties. My parents picked us up and we were on our way to Kmart, which used to be behind pondarosa and bananza, to get our EASTER dresses. I looked up the loop towards the lumber yard and saw a dust cloud and and what looked like twigs up in the air.it was the tornado hitting the lumber yard.
like it was yesterday

Austin, TX

#54 Oct 18, 2014
it was not a school holiday. North Lamar was having a track meet. there were like 5 or more schools there at campus. i was on the track team and we all went into the school for shelter. so i don't know about paris schools. we watched it go down 271 through the schools double glass doors at the end that looked that direction.
voter

Paris, TX

#55 Oct 18, 2014
maggie wrote:
<quoted text>P.S. The Paris tornado hit on a friday ( Good Friday before Easter). It was a school holiday. I got off work at noon and picked up my kids at daycare ( not Aikin)..Even the papers stated that had it been a school day , the school buses would have been letting kids off..and the deaths would have been much more. It also tells about no school that day in my tornado books that were sold by The Paris News..If he was on a bus, it was for a different reason..and not a Paris school bus..
Im not sure but I think a
bus from akin was returning with kids from a special
voter

Paris, TX

#56 Oct 18, 2014
voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Im not sure but I think a
bus from akin was returning with kids from a special
Field trip. There were kids on bus and parents waiting for them at Akin. Akin was sparred as the tornado hit across the street. North side of pine mill
Ive been everywhere man

United States

#57 Oct 19, 2014
I was 6 when the tornado hit paris. My dad and mom took us over there to look at the damage. I still remember the song on the radio earl Thomas Conally "fire and smoke" playing as we drove into the damaged areas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Criminal complaint details brutal slaying of Ne... 3 hr buypolar 1
News Child dies in fire outside Point Pleasant - 5 hr Smokestack Bandit 3
News Fire destroys medical marijuana facility south ... Wed RDL 1
News California firefighters stretched thin as blaze... Wed Clinton Fire 1
News No horses harmed in massive Oakville barn fire Tue Tory 1
News Baby dead, 3 missing after extra-alarm fire in ... Aug 23 grounded in reality 1
News Fire rips through home in rural Halton Hills Aug 23 Oakville barn 4
More from around the web