Memories of the April 2, 1982, Paris ...

Memories of the April 2, 1982, Paris tornado

There are 54 comments on the Paris Texas story from Apr 1, 2010, titled Memories of the April 2, 1982, Paris tornado. In it, Paris Texas reports that:

April 2, 1982, is one of those days modern day Paris residents remember just as those before us must have recalled the devastating Fire of 1916.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Paris Texas.

maggie

Paris, TX

#21 May 5, 2011
hayseed wrote:
<quoted text>
UIL.
No UIL at Aikin..or any school day, as it was an Easter holiday..The tornado book says "Ironically, students were on a school holiday. Had it been a regular school day 1,100 students would have been on school busses going home. No school buses ran that day" I quote..UIL would NOT be on a school holiday..plus there would be a lot of students there taking UIL tests... It didn't happen..
hayseed

Blossom, TX

#22 May 5, 2011
maggie wrote:
<quoted text> No UIL at Aikin..or any school day, as it was an Easter holiday..The tornado book says "Ironically, students were on a school holiday. Had it been a regular school day 1,100 students would have been on school busses going home. No school buses ran that day" I quote..UIL would NOT be on a school holiday..plus there would be a lot of students there taking UIL tests... It didn't happen..
UIL was a competition, not a test. Only a few students participated, so there is no reason it had to be on a school day. I have no idea whether it was held that day, but will refrain from calling someone a liar if they say it was.
just sayin

Overbrook, OK

#23 May 26, 2011
According to the computer Good Friday 1982 fell on April 9.
okthen

Paris, TX

#24 May 26, 2011
We went out with the Red Cross Survey team to survey the neighborhoods that were hit. I will never forget what I saw , especially on Campbell and Provine. Complete and total destruction, block after block. The tornado missed our house by about two blocks, but I remember seeing a wooden beam sticking out of the corner of my brick house that was hurled that far and powerfully by the tornado that hit two blocks away. All I can say is, take cover if it ever happens again.
sabbott

Stephenville, TX

#25 Apr 2, 2012
To add to the debate of whether or not there was school, I'll share my memory of the day. I was at the UIL competition in question. My brother (in 8th grade) and myself (in 6th grade) were part of a group of three or so buses that left that morning from Aikin to go to Rockwall for the UIL academic meet (I think Crockett and Travis kids traveled together that day). I want to think that only teachers were working that day (inservice or workday). If my memory serves me correctly, we were due to return right around the time the tornado hit town. I remember having to pull over because of a hail storm on I-30 as we were returning that afternoon. After what seemed like 15-20 minutes of sitting, we continued on our return trip. I remember coming around the east loop first seeing the pile of rubble that was Paris Lumber. I remember wondering if it burned because we first saw some smoke from a fire that had been started (apparently gas?) Then I remember someone looking across the loop at the housing division and we saw the destruction and missing roofs of the houses. We then realized that a tornado has struck. By that time, the police had the road to Aikin blocked and would not let us pass. I remember riding around to try and get to another school to either unload or get to a phone to see where we could unload. We drove around to 19th NW and were cut off of Justiss Elementary. We ended up at the city bus barn when we finally got off the bus and met our parents. Not to discredit anyone, but I don't remember our buses encountering the tornado, just the aftermath. I remember being greatly relieved when I finally got to see my parents that evening. The tornado just missed our house in west Paris by a couple of blocks.
Uhhhhhhh

Paris, TX

#26 Apr 2, 2012
Damon wrote:
I was on top of my treehouse watching it. I remember it changing colors when it hit Paris lumber. It went from black to white and had reflective stuff going on. Aikin had uil that day. My brother said the bus was rocking around on the way back. He said it was llifted up but I am not sure about that
Your parents let a 9-year-old sit in the top of a treehouse to watch a tornado pass by??????
school day

Mckinney, TX

#27 Apr 2, 2012
I know for sure North Lamar was open 4/2/1982. I was on the school bus going home. Our bus was stopped by another vehicle by lake Givens. We all got out and crawled inside a large culvert. The tornado was headed toward Paris & it passed about a mile south of us. It was in a freshly plowed field & you could see debris flying around its base. There was the main funnel & two smaller ones on each side. That culvert had the best prayer meeting I've ever attended.
I remember

Paris, TX

#28 Apr 2, 2012
I had just got off my north Lamar bus when the tornado hit. My sister and I both had school that day
Bus ridwe

Durham, NC

#29 Apr 2, 2012
sabbott wrote:
To add to the debate of whether or not there was school, I'll share my memory of the day. I was at the UIL competition in question. My brother (in 8th grade) and myself (in 6th grade) were part of a group of three or so buses that left that morning from Aikin to go to Rockwall for the UIL academic meet (I think Crockett and Travis kids traveled together that day). I want to think that only teachers were working that day (inservice or workday). If my memory serves me correctly, we were due to return right around the time the tornado hit town. I remember having to pull over because of a hail storm on I-30 as we were returning that afternoon. After what seemed like 15-20 minutes of sitting, we continued on our return trip. I remember coming around the east loop first seeing the pile of rubble that was Paris Lumber. I remember wondering if it burned because we first saw some smoke from a fire that had been started (apparently gas?) Then I remember someone looking across the loop at the housing division and we saw the destruction and missing roofs of the houses. We then realized that a tornado has struck. By that time, the police had the road to Aikin blocked and would not let us pass. I remember riding around to try and get to another school to either unload or get to a phone to see where we could unload. We drove around to 19th NW and were cut off of Justiss Elementary. We ended up at the city bus barn when we finally got off the bus and met our parents. Not to discredit anyone, but I don't remember our buses encountering the tornado, just the aftermath. I remember being greatly relieved when I finally got to see my parents that evening. The tornado just missed our house in west Paris by a couple of blocks.
I was on one the buses trying to get to Aikin. I remember stopping in the hail storm on the way back from Rockwall.If I remember right we stopped at the city barn and they gave us some gas because we were really low.Our bus I think finally did get to Aikin because thats where my parents were to pick me up. Our car windows were blown out sitting on Aikin lot.
Bus rider

Durham, NC

#30 Apr 2, 2012
maggie wrote:
<quoted text> No UIL at Aikin..or any school day, as it was an Easter holiday..The tornado book says "Ironically, students were on a school holiday. Had it been a regular school day 1,100 students would have been on school busses going home. No school buses ran that day" I quote..UIL would NOT be on a school holiday..plus there would be a lot of students there taking UIL tests... It didn't happen..
Unless I dreamed it all I left Aikin on a bus to go to a UIL meet in Rockwall. I know this post is a year old but get the facts right.I arived back to a torned up town.I still have the paper cliping with all the kids names that were goin to the meet that day in my scrap book.No school for Paris students day. But UIL did happen.I was there.
LOL

Paris, TX

#31 Apr 3, 2012
Bus rider wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless I dreamed it all I left Aikin on a bus to go to a UIL meet in Rockwall. I know this post is a year old but get the facts right.I arived back to a torned up town.I still have the paper cliping with all the kids names that were goin to the meet that day in my scrap book.No school for Paris students day. But UIL did happen.I was there.
A "torned up" town? I take it your UIL competition did not involve English.
Bus rider

Durham, NC

#32 Apr 3, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
No.Math.Bitch. I love how all the english majors show up on topix. What is 2+2 ? Loser.
Watch it

Paris, TX

#33 Apr 3, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
The guy who went nuts and shot up that college in Oakland, California was p.o.ed because his instructor was making fun of his English.

Media, I swear.
Uhhhhhh

Paris, TX

#34 Apr 4, 2012
Watch it wrote:
<quoted text>The guy who went nuts and shot up that college in Oakland, California was p.o.ed because his instructor was making fun of his English.
Media, I swear.
So are you saying the moral of the story is that people who can't speak or write English correctly are also homocidal maniacs?
Uhhhhhh

Paris, TX

#35 Apr 4, 2012
Typo correction - homicidal.
On da bus

Dallas, TX

#36 Apr 6, 2012
Damon wrote:
I was on top of my treehouse watching it. I remember it changing colors when it hit Paris lumber. It went from black to white and had reflective stuff going on. Aikin had uil that day. My brother said the bus was rocking around on the way back. He said it was llifted up but I am not sure about that
your brother is telling the truth. All the buses were rocking in the wind. Keep in mind this was a good way south of Paris though, not in the storm with the Tornado. One bus rocked onto just the passenger side wheels, but the driver corrected it quickly and the wheels on the drivers side apparently only went up a few inches. Still scary though.
On da bus

Dallas, TX

#38 Apr 6, 2012
maggie wrote:
<quoted text>P.S. The Paris tornado hit on a friday ( Good Friday before Easter). It was a school holiday. I got off work at noon and picked up my kids at daycare ( not Aikin)..Even the papers stated that had it been a school day , the school buses would have been letting kids off..and the deaths would have been much more. It also tells about no school that day in my tornado books that were sold by The Paris News..If he was on a bus, it was for a different reason..and not a Paris school bus..
Paris schools were out for holiday, but several PARIS buses were on the road returning from UIL contests in Rockwall. I was one of the students on that trip. We left from Aikin that morning. Once we got to town it took a while to get to Aikin where many parents were waiting to pick up kids, this was shortly after the skies had cleared. So, Paris schools were out as you say, but what his brother is telling him is also true, I was there and can tell you the names of three of the bus drivers if you would like to confirm it further.
On da bus

Dallas, TX

#40 Apr 6, 2012
maggie wrote:
First, you quote, but what source? Second, it did happen, you assume they are saying UIL was at Aikin, it was not, it was in Rockwall. You assume that the buses were right up in the big middle of the storm, they were not, they were coming back to Paris from Rockwall. They were rocking in heavy winds and one was rocked hard enough that it went up onto the passenger side wheels. You assume that there was no one at Aikin at the time of the tornado and you are likely correct on that one. But having loaded the buses that morning at Aikin we returned there to meet up with parents and pick up cars belonging to teachers that had gone on the trip. This was after the damage had been done. Many broken car windows were found along other car damage. I am 99% sure that some students were driven to their homes on buses after that as well and if their parents were home they were allowed off the bus. If no parents they weren't allowed off at that time. Long story short is that there is bad info and assumption being written in this thread, but the facts are: UIL that day yes, but in Rockwall. Paris buses running, yes but not regular school day routes. Bus lifted up, yes but just to one side and it was not in the tornado at the time or at anytime. Those are the facts and I can get plenty of people that were on that UIL trip with me to back it up.
On da bus

Dallas, TX

#41 Apr 6, 2012
Mr Gray wrote:
names please
Email address to send them to? I don't post names on Topix.
Bluebonnet

Vancouver, WA

#43 May 18, 2012
maggie wrote:
<quoted text>P.S. The Paris tornado hit on a friday ( Good Friday before Easter). It was a school holiday. I got off work at noon and picked up my kids at daycare ( not Aikin)..Even the papers stated that had it been a school day , the school buses would have been letting kids off..and the deaths would have been much more. It also tells about no school that day in my tornado books that were sold by The Paris News..If he was on a bus, it was for a different reason..and not a Paris school bus..
Good Friday was on April 9th of 1982 and I remember my mom picking me up from school that day then we went to get things for our Girl Scouts meeting that afternoon. My house was one of the ones that got blown away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fire destroys church in Union City, TN 1 hr Carolyn Carter 41
News Child dies in fire outside Point Pleasant - 2 hr old timer 17
News Flood Victims in Louisiana Getting Help from Ha... 15 hr Hazleton 1
News Criminal complaint details brutal slaying of Ne... Aug 25 buypolar 1
News Fire destroys medical marijuana facility south ... Aug 24 RDL 1
News California firefighters stretched thin as blaze... Aug 24 Clinton Fire 1
News No horses harmed in massive Oakville barn fire Aug 23 Tory 1
More from around the web