19 firefighters killed battling fast-moving Ariz. wildfire

There are 20 comments on the CBS News story from Jul 1, 2013, titled 19 firefighters killed battling fast-moving Ariz. wildfire. In it, CBS News reports that:

Homes burn as the Yarnell Hill Fire burns in Glenn Ilah on Sunday, June 30, 2013 near Yarnell, Ariz.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“My Commander-in-Chi ef!”

Since: Jun 07

Obama got Osama!

#1 Jul 1, 2013
Just a week after the President addressed climate change we have this tragedy that is a direct result of the changing climate that Al Gore warned us about. Just more and more blood on the hands of the ignorant right-wing naysayers whose ignorance has contributed to the inaction necessary to reverse the conditions that could have started decades ago. So now, once again President Obama will travel to comfort the families and community before speaking at the memorial.
Bill R

Halsey, OR

#2 Jul 1, 2013
I know Obama will come because he never misses an
opportunity to pretend compassion and read from a
cliché-ridden piece written by a wannabe.

You seem more concerned about making a genuine
tragedy into a forum of your choice. That says a
ton about you and nothing about the lives lost.
Beyond that, there is no evidence whatsoever to link a forest fire with climate change.

As for the friends and family of those 19 who died,
my sincere condolences in your time of loss.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 Jul 1, 2013
The southwest burns every year. Why are they even bothering? Get out of the way and let it burn.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#4 Jul 1, 2013
Bill R wrote:
I know Obama will come because he never misses an
opportunity to pretend compassion and read from a
cliché-ridden piece written by a wannabe.
You seem more concerned about making a genuine
tragedy into a forum of your choice. That says a
ton about you and nothing about the lives lost.
Beyond that, there is no evidence whatsoever to link a forest fire with climate change.
As for the friends and family of those 19 who died,
my sincere condolences in your time of loss.
Your fake "condolences" mean nothing after you used the post to witlessly and dishonestly attack the President.

NO one wants the "condolences" of a partisan asshat who instead just managed to piss on the bodies of the dead.

You disgust me.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#5 Jul 1, 2013
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
Just a week after the President addressed climate change we have this tragedy that is a direct result of the changing climate that Al Gore warned us about. Just more and more blood on the hands of the ignorant right-wing naysayers whose ignorance has contributed to the inaction necessary to reverse the conditions that could have started decades ago. So now, once again President Obama will travel to comfort the families and community before speaking at the memorial.
And frankly, Pat, your post was almost as embarrassing. On a thread where condolences and grief should be the ONLY message, you managed to start off by blaming the Right.

Jesus...why does any rational person even post on Topix? Just a pissing match.

Since: Sep 08

Viva Madeira

#6 Jul 1, 2013
What a horrible tragedy on the death and the manner in which 19 brave individuals died. Saving houses from burning should not cost human lives.

Viva Madeira

#7 Jul 1, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
And frankly, Pat, your post was almost as embarrassing. On a thread where condolences and grief should be the ONLY message, you managed to start off by blaming the Right.
Word
Sterkfontein Swartkrans

Pennington, NJ

#8 Jul 1, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
For some people EVERYTHING is political! I knew this thread would be politicized eventually!
Bill R

Halsey, OR

#9 Jul 1, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Your fake "condolences" mean nothing after you used the post to witlessly and dishonestly attack the President.
NO one wants the "condolences" of a partisan asshat who instead just managed to piss on the bodies of the dead.
You disgust me.
Considering the source, I regard your disgust as a sincere
compliment.

My condolences are sincere. I have friends in Prescott.
Bill R

Halsey, OR

#10 Jul 1, 2013
Sterkfontein Swartkrans wrote:
<quoted text>
For some people EVERYTHING is political! I knew this thread would be politicized eventually!
No doubt. The lefties haven't had their day unless they can use
a tragedy to promote their agenda. Ask Marine Corps Pat or her
buddies to prove this fire was the result of global warming and
they haven't an answer.

Once again, sincere condolences to friends and family of those whose lives were lost. The ideologues just can't summon up the
words .... notice?

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#11 Jul 1, 2013
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering the source, I regard your disgust as a sincere
compliment.
My condolences are sincere. I have friends in Prescott.
Why are you pissing on the victims, then?

You're one stupid, obnoxious SOB.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#12 Jul 1, 2013
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
they haven't an answer.
Once again, sincere condolences to friends and family of those whose lives were lost. The ideologues just can't summon up the
words .... notice?
You lying turd! YOU used it to advance your Rightard, anti-Obama agenda! How DARE you pretend this was someone else's fault!

Too bad you weren't burned up with everyone else, douchebag.
Bill R

Halsey, OR

#13 Jul 1, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
You lying turd! YOU used it to advance your Rightard, anti-Obama agenda! How DARE you pretend this was someone else's fault!
Too bad you weren't burned up with everyone else, douchebag.
This forum began with an idiot going off on the global warming
blather. My read is that the loss of 19 lives in a forest fire
is tragic ... THAT is the story, not global warming.

The forest fire is thought to have started by lightning. That
happens hundreds of times every summer in the West. No one's
fault. Their deaths were due to changing wind conditions.
I've seen it before, as I had friends die in a similar situation
near Canyonville, OR years ago. Simply put, there was no place to
hide.

As for your beloved useless President, he will attempt to use this
tragic incident to advance his global warming agenda in the same
way he attempted to use the Newtown massacre to advance his anti-
gun agenda. Its in his DNA ... he can't help being a dishonest
nutria turd.
Bill R

Halsey, OR

#14 Jul 1, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you pissing on the victims, then?
You're one stupid, obnoxious SOB.
See my comments above, rat fart. I'm sorry
your daddy's condom broke.
Bill R

Halsey, OR

#15 Jul 1, 2013
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
they haven't an answer.
words .... notice?
Just for the record, we are still waiting for the so-called
progressives on this forum to provide with the evidence that
these tragic deaths were the result of global warming, as the
original poster claims.
Bill R

Halsey, OR

#16 Jul 1, 2013
should read .... "provide us with the evidence"

Tawas City, Michigan

#17 Jul 2, 2013
At least the news channels have something else to cover 24/7 instead of the Zimmerman trial----yawn!
national whistleblower

Irving, TX

#18 Jul 2, 2013
Recognize the American Holocaust yet?

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/prescott-az/T...

Viva Madeira

#19 Jul 2, 2013
Bill R wrote:
should read .... "provide us with the evidence"
What happened in Arizona and the wildfires raging through the southwest can be attributed to multiple factors. Forests on public land have been neglected by the federal government creating tinderbox conditions that produce out of control wildfires. According to experts, the wildfire season lasts two months longer and burns twice as much acreage than it did 40 years ago. The forests have become overgrown and federal laws prohibit road building in some forests which makes it difficult to clear out dead stands of trees as well as to reach wildfires.

There are beetle infestations that are killing many strands of forests making these dead trees fuel for a fire. This beetle infestation is a result of hotter temperatures.

Early snowmelt due to warmer temperature makes the snow melt earlier in the season (late spring/early summer) leaving the summers without the extra surge of moisture. Couple that with a persistent long-term drought that has lasted for several years.

Climate, suburban sprawl, and land management are all contributing factors in what’s happening in the southwest. Getting tied up with semantics (i.e. Global Warming, Climate Change, Climate Oscillation, Natural Variability) doesn’t alter the fact of what is currently happening and what will continue to happen. Can anyone say categorically that the increase in temperature is anthropogenic or cyclical? As by the often vicious arguing on both sides, no one side can deliver an unqualified, unanimous answer. I, personally, would rather err on the side of caution.

As to the death of these young firefighters, I only have admiration for the services they rendered. What caused their deaths was a horrible, tragic accident. That explanation is enough for me.

Tawas City, Michigan

#20 Jul 2, 2013
Marichu wrote:
<quoted text>
What happened in Arizona and the wildfires raging through the southwest can be attributed to multiple factors. Forests on public land have been neglected by the federal government creating tinderbox conditions that produce out of control wildfires. According to experts, the wildfire season lasts two months longer and burns twice as much acreage than it did 40 years ago. The forests have become overgrown and federal laws prohibit road building in some forests which makes it difficult to clear out dead stands of trees as well as to reach wildfires.
There are beetle infestations that are killing many strands of forests making these dead trees fuel for a fire. This beetle infestation is a result of hotter temperatures.
Early snowmelt due to warmer temperature makes the snow melt earlier in the season (late spring/early summer) leaving the summers without the extra surge of moisture. Couple that with a persistent long-term drought that has lasted for several years.
Climate, suburban sprawl, and land management are all contributing factors in what’s happening in the southwest. Getting tied up with semantics (i.e. Global Warming, Climate Change, Climate Oscillation, Natural Variability) doesn’t alter the fact of what is currently happening and what will continue to happen. Can anyone say categorically that the increase in temperature is anthropogenic or cyclical? As by the often vicious arguing on both sides, no one side can deliver an unqualified, unanimous answer. I, personally, would rather err on the side of caution.
As to the death of these young firefighters, I only have admiration for the services they rendered. What caused their deaths was a horrible, tragic accident. That explanation is enough for me.
Well as the climate change deniers are constantly pointing out, the earth has been burning on & off for millions of years-(or only thousands of years if they're the bible believing type).

So let 'er burn and get the hell out of the way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Looking Back at Monterey County: Fire on Canner... Tue Joe 1
News Chemical leak closes highways Tue Doctor Mayo 2
News Lawrence Town Board rescinds decision to consol... Mon Tax Payer 3
News Anglesey garage re-opens less than a month afte... Mon Gawaine 1
News Michael Jackson's Alligators Die In Zoo Fire Mon Like a Baby 6
News Family members rescue young children from house... Sun Farter 2
News The Burning Hatred that Divides OdessaBy Anna N... Sun FASCIST Ukraine 2
More from around the web