Boat's previous owner sued in Erie Ya...

Boat's previous owner sued in Erie Yacht Club blast

There are 34 comments on the Erie Times News story from Apr 23, 2013, titled Boat's previous owner sued in Erie Yacht Club blast. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

Three more people have been sued over the fatal boat explosion at the Erie Yacht Club on Memorial Day 2011.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rawwr

Erie, PA

#23 Apr 25, 2013
Mother Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
When your mommy dies and leaves you without a basement to inhabit I'm going to tell you to "man up."
I don't live in my mommies basement. I work harder than you can imagine and probably pay more in income taxes than you earn in a year.
Ben Her

Sulphur, LA

#24 Apr 25, 2013
Don Beverage wrote:
Hertel is the idiot captain that didn't pull the bildge hatches during refueling. Hertel is the idiot captain that didn't remove the passengers from the vessel during refueling. Hertel is the idiot captain that did not have the vessel properly surveyed before dropping it in the water and loading it up with passengers. Hertel is the idiot captain that kept cranking the motors over for 2 minutes trying to get them started. Hertel is the idiot captain that did not attend any safe boating coarses.
See a pattern here?
YES I DO
Ben Her

Sulphur, LA

#25 Apr 25, 2013
You can't fix STUPID. But there are attorneys that will try.The blame goes to the captain for not following procedures.So simple the the guy who started this could figure it out.
In The Know

West Springfield, PA

#26 Apr 25, 2013
Lawyers suck the life out of society. Who are the attorneys in this case? Ki ke and K ike?
Rock Lobster

Erie, PA

#28 Apr 26, 2013
Aaron Hertel should really be ashamed of himself. Dragging the Yacht Club into his mess. I used to think he was an OK guy but it's clear he is a major league assclown.
Hmmm

Erie, PA

#29 Apr 26, 2013
Rock Lobster wrote:
Aaron Hertel should really be ashamed of himself. Dragging the Yacht Club into his mess. I used to think he was an OK guy but it's clear he is a major league assclown.
Carlisle named the Yacht Club in his original lawsuit.
Don Beverage

Erie, PA

#30 Apr 26, 2013
Hmmm is correct. Carlisle dragged the EYC into the mess that Aaron Hertel is directly responsible for.
PorkSword

Erie, PA

#31 Apr 26, 2013
Naturally Aaron still struts around the EYC like he's mister awesome.
slappy

Pittsburgh, PA

#32 Apr 27, 2013
since this incident both hertel and carlisle are being remarried? hertels new wife is ewwwwwwwwww, and carlisles deceased wife isn't even cold yet? is it really that easy to move on? disappointed in all involved!
boat owner

Fairview, PA

#33 Apr 27, 2013
Don Beverage wrote:
It was not a fuel leak. Fuel tanks have breather hoses to allow the vapors to escape as the empty tanks are filled with fuel. These vapor escape lines were chaffed and had failed.
Instead of the vapors exiting the vessel, they were trapped in the bildge.
Had Aaron Hertel ran the blower for the full 2 minutes the vapors would have been properly expelled.
Had Aaron Hertel pulled the bilge hatches and 'stuck his face in it' as prescribed by nearly every safe boater coarse the vapors would have been detected.
Had Aaron Hertel removed the passengers from his vessel during the refueling process the accident would have not killed Ms. Carlisle.
all true...

blame everyone else...

hertel sue hertel for hertels most loved possession.
money...
boy

Wimauma, FL

#34 Apr 27, 2013
They couldn't smell the fuel vapor over the farts and BO.
sculler

Erie, PA

#35 Apr 27, 2013
why can't the entities that operate fuel docks on the bay insist that boaters follow proper refueling procedures? just wondering.
Captain Courageous

United States

#36 Apr 27, 2013
Anyone with common sense who is into boating knows the reason & need to run the blower system to expel gas fumes which collect.
If the owner had attended a basic boating course this would have been covered.
Had he read the manual of operation which came with the boat he would have read it.
The tragedy is someone died because of the stupidity of the owner, to try & shift the blame on the previous owner is ridiculous.
I would like to read the survey report of the boat surveyor as to the condition of the boat.A surveyor cannot detect or render safe the incompetence of the boat owner.
Roach

Erie, PA

#37 Apr 28, 2013
sculler wrote:
why can't the entities that operate fuel docks on the bay insist that boaters follow proper refueling procedures? just wondering.
At the EYC the members must operate the fuel pumps themselves. The attendant is just there to bill you. It's the responsibility of the member to have a clue. In this case the captain clearly did not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Explosion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News FDNY: 25 hurt in apparent explosion in Chelsea ... Sep 21 BabyDoll 74
News new Investigation underway into NYC explosion t... Sep 21 Stephany McDowell 3
News Will either side blink over North Carolina's Ho... Sep 20 TomInElPaso 1
News 5 questioned after blasts, devices in 2 US states Sep 19 BabyDoll 6
News Eight injured in Minnesota mall stabbing, suspe... Sep 19 coyote505 7
News The Latest: FBI examines Uber vehicle damaged i... Sep 19 Wall Street 2016 5
News Authorities probe ties between blasts, devices ... Sep 19 Islamo Terrorism 2
More from around the web