Boat's previous owner sued in Erie Ya...

Boat's previous owner sued in Erie Yacht Club blast

There are 34 comments on the Erie Times News story from Apr 23, 2013, titled Boat's previous owner sued in Erie Yacht Club blast. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

Three more people have been sued over the fatal boat explosion at the Erie Yacht Club on Memorial Day 2011.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
boy

Pioneer, OH

#1 Apr 23, 2013
more growth industry in erie... parasites, leeches, lawyers, adn junk boat owners
Don Beverage

Erie, PA

#2 Apr 24, 2013
Hertel is the idiot captain that didn't pull the bildge hatches during refueling. Hertel is the idiot captain that didn't remove the passengers from the vessel during refueling. Hertel is the idiot captain that did not have the vessel properly surveyed before dropping it in the water and loading it up with passengers. Hertel is the idiot captain that kept cranking the motors over for 2 minutes trying to get them started. Hertel is the idiot captain that did not attend any safe boating coarses.

See a pattern here?
boy

Pioneer, OH

#3 Apr 24, 2013
Hertel versus Hertel. He can screw himself again!
Rocky

Erie, PA

#4 Apr 24, 2013
This is why dumb jocks shouldn't operate heavy machinery without proper instruction.
Shawn

Erie, PA

#5 Apr 24, 2013
Anyone know the truth or just heresay?
boy

Pioneer, OH

#6 Apr 24, 2013
Shawn wrote:
Anyone know the truth or just heresay?
further investigation shows it was a pressure cooker bomb... gas fumes in a confined space never explode.
Rooster

Erie, PA

#7 Apr 24, 2013
I know the truth. I was there on opening day. I helped clean up his mess.
Rooster

Erie, PA

#8 Apr 24, 2013
Don pretty much nailed it.
Judge Smails

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Apr 24, 2013
So Ryan Carlisle still works with the guy that killed wis wife??
Shawn

Erie, PA

#10 Apr 24, 2013
Judge Smails wrote:
So Ryan Carlisle still works with the guy that killed wis wife??
Ryan works for him at another location.
doggman

Amherst, MA

#11 Apr 24, 2013
Erie has a yacht club ?!?
boy

Pioneer, OH

#12 Apr 24, 2013
doggman wrote:
Erie has a yacht club ?!?
yes... it is for erie's one yacht.
pay up sucka

Akron, OH

#13 Apr 24, 2013
Don Beverage wrote:
Hertel is the idiot captain that didn't pull the bildge hatches during refueling. Hertel is the idiot captain that didn't remove the passengers from the vessel during refueling. Hertel is the idiot captain that did not have the vessel properly surveyed before dropping it in the water and loading it up with passengers. Hertel is the idiot captain that kept cranking the motors over for 2 minutes trying to get them started. Hertel is the idiot captain that did not attend any safe boating coarses.
See a pattern here?
you forgot to blame Bush.......
Rawwr

Erie, PA

#16 Apr 24, 2013
Hertel and Carlisle are the ones blaming everybody else. They should man up and admit their own incompetence is the root cause.
edge

Shirokane, Japan

#17 Apr 25, 2013
What good was paying a boat surveyor hundreds of dollars to inspect the boat if it blows up the first time out? The captain should be able to crank those engines until the batteries are dead and the boat should not blow up.

If you non boat owners have your car state inspected and 1 mile after leaving the inspection station a wheel falls off then whose problem is that?

There are boats bought and sold every season. Boats that have been properly maintained, inspected and serviced do not blow up.
boy

Pioneer, OH

#18 Apr 25, 2013
edge wrote:
What good was paying a boat surveyor hundreds of dollars to inspect the boat if it blows up the first time out? The captain should be able to crank those engines until the batteries are dead and the boat should not blow up.
If you non boat owners have your car state inspected and 1 mile after leaving the inspection station a wheel falls off then whose problem is that?
There are boats bought and sold every season. Boats that have been properly maintained, inspected and serviced do not blow up.
ywrong..Lusitania breath...its operator error plain and simple. Open the hatches ...this moron battened the hatches
patchogue resident

Bellmore, NY

#19 Apr 25, 2013
Boats are just as safe as every other inanimate object out there. It's the people that use them in an uneducated manner that make them dangerous. I've been around boats my whole life. Most of them have a little plaque on the dash from the manufacturer stating to operate the blowers for at least two minutes while refueling or while idling. All ignition components on the gasoline engine should comply with SAE J 1171 standards for spark arresting. If it were fuel leaks present in the bilge, a surveyor definitely should have caught this. These guys are just any old schleps, The required by banks for purchasing and are required to carry their own insurance in the event something like this happen. They also have to be sponsored by an accredited surveyor.
Don Beverage

Erie, PA

#20 Apr 25, 2013
It was not a fuel leak. Fuel tanks have breather hoses to allow the vapors to escape as the empty tanks are filled with fuel. These vapor escape lines were chaffed and had failed.

Instead of the vapors exiting the vessel, they were trapped in the bildge.

Had Aaron Hertel ran the blower for the full 2 minutes the vapors would have been properly expelled.

Had Aaron Hertel pulled the bilge hatches and 'stuck his face in it' as prescribed by nearly every safe boater coarse the vapors would have been detected.

Had Aaron Hertel removed the passengers from his vessel during the refueling process the accident would have not killed Ms. Carlisle.
Mother Smith

Erie, PA

#21 Apr 25, 2013
Rawwr wrote:
Hertel and Carlisle are the ones blaming everybody else. They should man up and admit their own incompetence is the root cause.
When your mommy dies and leaves you without a basement to inhabit I'm going to tell you to "man up."
edge

Shirokane, Japan

#22 Apr 25, 2013
Don Beverage wrote:
It was not a fuel leak. Fuel tanks have breather hoses to allow the vapors to escape as the empty tanks are filled with fuel. These vapor escape lines were chaffed and had failed.
Instead of the vapors exiting the vessel, they were trapped in the bildge.
Had Aaron Hertel ran the blower for the full 2 minutes the vapors would have been properly expelled.
Had Aaron Hertel pulled the bilge hatches and 'stuck his face in it' as prescribed by nearly every safe boater coarse the vapors would have been detected.
Had Aaron Hertel removed the passengers from his vessel during the refueling process the accident would have not killed Ms. Carlisle.
Every boat owner with fuel tanks under the deck should turn on the blower then put their nose next to bilge exhaust vents.
PA used to be a state that you didn't need any training to own or operate a boat. About 12 years ago PA enacted a law that PWC operators needed a certificate. Not sure if it applies to boat owners now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Explosion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oklahoma's Warning to Trump's America 1 hr As I see it 2
News 2 companies on trial in connection with Mississ... Jan 14 Blaze 1
News Woman accused of faking will for Deepwater Hori... Jan 9 Sorry People 3
News Late millionaire's 'will' draws questions, charges Jan 9 awful 5
News Mississauga, Ont., home explosion was a double ... Dec 31 Hungedw 1
News Repeated Dynamite and Powder Manufacturing Expl... Dec '16 Samuels Furnace Man 4
News Istanbul explosions: At least 20 wounded in twi... Dec '16 CHRISTINE 1
More from around the web