Woman among three Kiwi soldiers killed

Woman among three Kiwi soldiers killed

There are 73 comments on the Manawatu Evening Standard story from Aug 19, 2012, titled Woman among three Kiwi soldiers killed. In it, Manawatu Evening Standard reports that:

Prime Minister John Key says NZ won't ''cut and run'' from Afghanistan after three Kiwi soldiers were killed in a Taleban bomb attack.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Manawatu Evening Standard.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
paul

Dunedin, New Zealand

#61 Aug 22, 2012
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
No yet again the NZDF does not have a frontline role in Afghanistan, The 1NZSAS did, we are there to reconstruct Bamiyan province and to aid the National Afghani police in training and security so that when NZDF leaves, they are capable of handling bad situations on there own. The reason why these deaths occurred was because the area where these soldiers were travelling was a risky area, because it bordered the other province Baghlan, that is where the Taliban have a stronger presence, there are a small group of Taliban supporters who are in Bamiyan province where the NZDF majority are based but because the Hazzara people are often discriminated against because of there Asian like features and the history of Bamiyan, they despise the Taliban. The Hazzara people are unique to Afghanistan that is why it is relatively safe in Bamiyan, it is when you go to areas around the borders of provinces that is when sh*t happens, the Hungarians patrol Baghlan but the don't patrol around the area where the NZDF went because of how dangerous it is. Do Abe is very hostile,that's where most of deaths have occurred. The only reason why these incidences are happening is because it is summer over there and they are not hiding in there caves, this time of the year is when more incidents happen, and because the Taliban no that ISAF troops are withdrawing from Afghanistan soon, they want to send a clear message to "withdraw your troops now not later" , but the reasons for not withdrawing our troops now, would send a message to the Taliban that we are cowards. So it is pointless in withdrawing our troops now, these soldiers paid the ultimate price with there lives.
Don't bother trying to tell me about Afganistan i am well aware of whats going over there and if you think there is a front line in an insurgency you don't have a clue.
paul

Dunedin, New Zealand

#62 Aug 22, 2012
sum_won_els wrote:
<quoted text>
That description is accurate in respect of various different groups of people involved in the desperate scrambling in Central Asia and the Middle East (including the western interests); the only problem I have with it is the designation of them all as 'Al Qaeda'. I won't go into the details again on where the name actually came from and who the 'Al Qaeda' individuals actually were / are (take a look at my post on the subject on the first page of this thread if you care to find out)- but to describe all of the competing interests at work in Afghanistan and the wider region as this is a gross over-simplification. By its' nature, this plays into the hands of the sophisticated foreign powers with land, resource and power-grab aspirations, by assigning a homogenous cultural nationalism to various diverse groups of people who share only the trait of being in the way.
Well the Taliban based in Afganistan and Pakistan want to rule and have their hardcore ideology controlling everyone around them they do the same as Al Qaeda when they get control of an area take control by force and stomp on anyone who dares to defy them.

They care about themselves and no one else and that is one thing all these groups have in common.
paul

Dunedin, New Zealand

#63 Aug 22, 2012
sum_won_els wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, it was quite bizarre in that you listed a number of things that she didn't say, but that you thought she might, and then seemed to get angry about it. Not the actions and process of a balanced human being.
The only reason that the building didn't come down on that occasion is that the perpetrators only half-filled their van. My point was that even the most unsophisticated, poorly funded and rather stupid individuals could have done it; so it's not so hard to believe that with a little help from someone with access to and knowledge of the building and a large amount of funding and time it could have been demolished.
What is far more compelling in terms of hard evidence, is the videos showing all three buildings (even WTC 7 that was hit by neither aeroplane or significant rubble) come down at near-freefall speed, directly into their own footprints, leaving not a trace of steel structure or piece of concrete larger than a dining table.
I'm not making any suggestions about who was involved or why; I'm not saying that there weren't any radical Islamists involved. What I am saying is that these buildings were not brought down by the impact or resultant damage of the aeroplanes (this theory has a number of irreconcilable problems; I've written more about that somewhere previously in this thread too), and that due to this fact, there must have been some help coming from a position of power - political or otherwise.
Trying to bring someones mental state into question to discredit them is frankly a really weak tactic and doesn't say much for you.

The amount of people that it would take to rig that building for a controlled demolition going into that building day after day and never being seen is beyond belief.

Basically people want us to believe that some western interests worked with Islamic terrorists to bring the building down to give the U.S an excuse to attack Afganistan and the middle east ie we will rig the whole building for demolition and we will have that ready by such a date then you guys fly the planes into the buildings so we can have an excuse to invade your lands and tear them up.

Or some western powers found out about the impending attack and said hey lets let this happen then we can go into the middle east and tear the place up hey i've got a great idea lets rig the whole building for demolition without anyone seeing us then when the terrorists hit with the planes we can then totally destroy the building with our planted explosives and where off on our merry way to pillage and plunder.

Since: Nov 08

Auckland

#64 Aug 22, 2012
What's most amazing about this thread is that Lisa and others on here (who shall remain nameless) seem to think they're the be all and end all of knowledge on all things U.S. and the Middle East. Perhaps they've been reading up on certain left wing liberal web sites, I don't know, but rather than accept that others have reached different conclusions, they treat the rest of us like know-nothings who spend our lives in ignorance or being brainwashed by the media, without the ability of rational thought and good sense judgement.
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#66 Aug 23, 2012
Gutsfull wrote:
What's most amazing about this thread is that Lisa and others on here (who shall remain nameless) seem to think they're the be all and end all of knowledge on all things U.S. and the Middle East. Perhaps they've been reading up on certain left wing liberal web sites, I don't know, but rather than accept that others have reached different conclusions, they treat the rest of us like know-nothings who spend our lives in ignorance or being brainwashed by the media, without the ability of rational thought and good sense judgement.
The usual reverse phycologiem..eh?
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#67 Aug 23, 2012
paul wrote:
<quoted text>
No the cowards are punks like you who sit behind your computor running your mouth but if you had to drive around in a Humvee in a war zone would break down screaming like a little bit.h
Big John obviously has not read about his namesakes 'heroism' during WW2.
paul

Dunedin, New Zealand

#68 Aug 23, 2012
Gutsfull wrote:
Mate your post sums it up totally.
Big John Wayne

Axminster, UK

#69 Aug 23, 2012
Open your eyes tells it like it is.

Sometime in the future, probably about 10 years from now, many people who lost family and friends will have realised that they have been duped and that their loved ones were not heroes but suckers.

Explaining why these kiwis died and what for will take some doing. Sucking up to the US does not seem like much of a reason.
The Best

Melbourne, Australia

#70 Aug 24, 2012
I suggest everyone search Wikileaks concerning the US NZ governments regarding the middle east and other nations around the world.

NZ is supporting the wrong force and they want to keep the truth hidden from you all.
The Best

Melbourne, Australia

#71 Aug 24, 2012
Gutsfull wrote:
No

The only fact concerning you is that your ability to rationalize has been corrupted by the negative pakeha ideals you consistently display in topixs with a hateful sentiment directed at all those that are in opposition to your negative pessimistic alienating views.

You Sir exist in a reality fashioned by a mind you betray yourself with.
PeterC

UK

#72 Aug 24, 2012
Big John Wayne wrote:
Open your eyes tells it like it is.
Sometime in the future, probably about 10 years from now, many people who lost family and friends will have realised that they have been duped and that their loved ones were not heroes but suckers.
Explaining why these kiwis died and what for will take some doing. Sucking up to the US does not seem like much of a reason.
When i read comments like that , my natural instinct is to punch your lights out, but then i actually pity you, for its rare to find someone completely devoid of any soul or compassion.
As i said to you before, families of serving men & women have to endure the ultimate sacrifice of their loved ones being killed in action or in the line of duty. Serving armed forces men & women do not have the luxury of picking & choosing which conflict they believe in, & which they will fight in. Unlike you, they cant sit in front of a computer to defend their actions, they have to do as they are told by their superiors, & ultimately, Government.
Whether you agree with the philosophy that America has ulterior motives for these conflicts, & personally, i do, our serving men & women are patrolling the streets of this god forsaken country, as best they can,in conditions you would not even dream of.
Only last week, 2 French soldiers prevented a Taliban motorcyclist from throwing ACID over 2 young girls simply for daring to go to school. Are these soldiers heroes or cowards. If you even have to think about that, there is something sadly wrong with you.
If you can stand next to a 4 yr old child on the streets of Wootten Bassett, as her daddy's coffin drives past, & she is heart broken, tell HER her daddy is a coward, not us here on Topix.

Auckland

#73 Aug 24, 2012
The Best wrote:
I suggest everyone search Wikileaks concerning the US NZ governments regarding the middle east and other nations around the world.
NZ is supporting the wrong force and they want to keep the truth hidden from you all.
Oh okay, so we should be supporting the Taleban...

Ummmm....

I'm totally lost for words to describe your lack of common sense.

Auckland

#74 Aug 24, 2012
The Best wrote:
<quoted text>
No
The only fact concerning you is that your ability to rationalize has been corrupted by the negative pakeha ideals you consistently display in topixs with a hateful sentiment directed at all those that are in opposition to your negative pessimistic alienating views.
You Sir exist in a reality fashioned by a mind you betray yourself with.
Are you on drugs?

What the hell have my "pakeha ideals" got to do with how I view the situation in Afghanistan?

Again...I'm lost for words to describe your stupidity.

Seriously,'the joke'.... Sorry - I'll start that again. Seriously,'the best', you need to get off the weed. Not that I have anything against weed, but you clearly can't handle it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Explosion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dunedin firefighters respond to garage explosion Jun 14 Victim 1
News D-Day's Forgotten Black HeroesBy Linda Hervieux Jun 6 Go Blue Forever 1
News Brothers convicted in fatal robbery May '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Prince's ex-wife Manuela Testolini honours late... May '16 Three Rounds 1
News new Maine museum offers $20,000 reward for piec... May '16 Jack 4
News The Latest: ATF: Intentionally set fire caused ... May '16 Cat74 1
News Air bag inflator recall to grow by 35 million t... May '16 Go Blue Forever 1
More from around the web