Wind turbine collapses today near Malone

Wind turbine collapses today near Malone

There are 73 comments on the Watertown Daily Times story from Mar 6, 2009, titled Wind turbine collapses today near Malone. In it, Watertown Daily Times reports that:

A wind turbine tower has collapsed in northern New York, setting off a small fire.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Watertown Daily Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
malone

Syracuse, NY

#1 Mar 9, 2009
what would happen or could it happen if the turbine it self ever came off? some of them are close to houses...
i love ot watch them i wish they were here in malone i would be a "gocker" or how ever you spell it
dude-man

Little Valley, NY

#2 Mar 9, 2009
if the turbine was spining fast enough i could see a peice of the blades going far at least a mile you would think. it's kinda like i wing right.

Since: Nov 08

North Eastern NY

#4 Mar 11, 2009
I laugh at the "near" malone reference. Altona is 35 miles from malone! Thank you again Scotch Tape. LOL on the plane falling (Everyone in western NY just ducked!) This was a rare occurrence. There are millions of turbines in use in the US, Canada and Europe yet very few have collapsed. Before jumping off in hysteria about the "sky" falling, let's look at the statistics. You're way more likely to get hurt or killed in a car accident than having a turbine in a remote area fall on you. Does that stop you from getting in your vehicle? Look at the benefits of wind power vs oil. Wind far out ways oil in cost,environmental health and creating jobs. I live quite close to the Altona wind farm, I have no fears but I do see what Noble has done for the economy around here. For ten years this area has been losing jobs, Noble has been one of the few companies to come in and offer good paying jobs. They've also been fantastic in helping the communities they've set up their farms in. They're also on top of investigating what went wrong and correcting it. Yet nay sayers are ready for a witch hunt. Sad
languagepolice

Ashfield, MA

#6 Mar 12, 2009
To Irked:
In previous posts, you claim that poor grammar and spelling are signs of poor ideas and opinions. The grammar and spelling in your post above is far from perfect. Therefore, using your standards, we should dismiss the facts and conclusions you state above. Do you still feel we should use an opiner's mastery of language to judge the validity and value of his or her thought?
Support NoCo Always

Troy, NY

#7 Mar 13, 2009
Irked and the others who have responded to the Tower collapse. Your kind comment, and concerned questions have not gone unnoticed by the many individuals who view this site. Many of us born in the area grow up waiting to relocate, funny we find us right back in our home towns again. The NoCo has something very special and outsiders will not understand what that is (anyone from NoCo knows where I am going). We really take interest in looking after others even though.. not certain if you should say-for the fall you might take upon yourself. But- with that said, My way of getting through: If you belive-DO, If you don't understand-ASK! and should you not belive, DON'T JUDGE
Mom of 4

Middleville, NY

#8 Mar 14, 2009
wind towers SUCK
fred

Lake Placid, NY

#9 Mar 14, 2009
they lower your electric bill and create jobs.. by the way, they don't suck, they are blown...
fred

Middleville, NY

#10 Mar 15, 2009
funny fred, they also save on fossel fuels thats a plus. maybe mom doesnt know that if we dont make drastic changes now. in 6 to 10 yrs we wont be able to reverse the effect of globle warming. now that SUCKS.
tbone burnett

Middleville, NY

#11 Mar 15, 2009
i like them, before them just crappy, rocky farm land, if that. they are all over the world. get used to them. just cause one breaks dont get excited they wont take the rest down.
bogeyman

United States

#12 Mar 16, 2009
tbone burnett wrote:
i like them, before them just crappy, rocky farm land, if that. they are all over the world. get used to them. just cause one breaks dont get excited they wont take the rest down.
amen brother. it sure is nice to see some TECHNOLOGY up here in this wasteland for a change. in my opinion, anyone against wind power is shortsighted, uninformed, and oh yeah- NUTS.

i also look at them from a design and manufacturing viewpoint. they are beautiful machines, especially when the blades are turning.

there are also small residential wind turbines which can either be bolted to your roof or set up on small towers. just google "residential wind turbine" for lots of information. some are less than $1000.

malone zoning probably doesn't allow them. that would be a big surprise. nothing changes here.
EFF WIND

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#13 Mar 16, 2009
Mom of 4 wrote:
wind towers SUCK
Yup.

and eff all of you idiot supporters.
fred

Middleville, NY

#14 Mar 16, 2009
EFF what?
fred

Middleville, NY

#16 Mar 17, 2009
eff's 4 globle warming.
Mom of 4

Middleville, NY

#17 Mar 17, 2009
I am not for Global warming and I am not uninformed. I have researched them greatly. You are ignorant if you think they lower your electric bill, it lowers the electric company's bill, you pay for them in Malone even though we don't have them, there's a charge on there and if you RESEARCH you would find out that it goes towards developing wind farms...they are loud and they suck, go to the Tug Hill Plateau for a night, go camping, in a tent, under them and tell me how you like them then. I have spent countless hours researching them, I'm not an idiot and I wasn't against them until I researched. The power was not even going to serve our community...oh and jobs, one of Noble's security people now works at BK for minimum wage...GREAT JOBS I TELL YA!
Mom of 4

Middleville, NY

#18 Mar 17, 2009
WAY TO GO BEEKMANTOWN FOR SMARTENING UP!!!! NO TOWERS THERE EITHER...THERE'S GOT TO BE A REASON!
number 1 Wind Warrior

Little Valley, NY

#19 Mar 17, 2009
Seems Mom of 4 is the only one with some education on this subject..... save on fossil fuels???? You have electric cars and the truck brings goods to your stores with electric trucks , the items brought across the ocean on electric boats?? Hey MASSENA, you have low electricity rates because you have town owned municipal power. Our rates happen to be the highest in the country and just got a notice of a rate hike. And for all, wind energy cost 12 cents per KWH compared to 2.5 CENTS YES 2.5 CENTS FROM CONVENTIONAL POWER INCLUDING CLEAN BURING COAL AND ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE NEW TECHNOLOGY NUCLEAR PLANTS..... SO THERE.!!!!!!!!!
number 1 Wind Warrior

Little Valley, NY

#20 Mar 17, 2009
[QUOTE "do they harm something or yours, or someone you know?
Go back under your rock. We don't need you anymore.[/QUOTE]
Yes they have harmed thousands of people and places that I know, I get letters, emails, phone calls every day....get educated, then come back and talk about it!!!!!!!!!
number 1 Wind Warrior

Little Valley, NY

#21 Mar 17, 2009
dude-man wrote:
if the turbine was spining fast enough i could see a peice of the blades going far at least a mile you would think. it's kinda like i wing right.
Yes the tips of the blades of the GE SLE 1.5 MW turbines used in Altona are going 14 revolutions per minute with 135 foot blades, so they are going 220 miles per hour...oh DID I MAKE SOME IGNORANT HEADS SPIN? DUH, what's that mean
number 1 Wind Warrior

Little Valley, NY

#22 Mar 17, 2009
This post is nuts.. there are not millions of turbines, yes Malone is near ALtona. You can see the Clinton County turbines across the horizon rounding Keeler Hill in Bangor, WEST OF MALONE.. TOO CLOSE!!!
Irked wrote:
I laugh at the "near" malone reference. Altona is 35 miles from malone! Thank you again Scotch Tape. LOL on the plane falling (Everyone in western NY just ducked!) This was a rare occurrence. There are millions of turbines in use in the US, Canada and Europe yet very few have collapsed. Before jumping off in hysteria about the "sky" falling, let's look at the statistics. You're way more likely to get hurt or killed in a car accident than having a turbine in a remote area fall on you. Does that stop you from getting in your vehicle? Look at the benefits of wind power vs oil. Wind far out ways oil in cost,environmental health and creating jobs. I live quite close to the Altona wind farm, I have no fears but I do see what Noble has done for the economy around here. For ten years this area has been losing jobs, Noble has been one of the few companies to come in and offer good paying jobs. They've also been fantastic in helping the communities they've set up their farms in. They're also on top of investigating what went wrong and correcting it. Yet nay sayers are ready for a witch hunt. Sad

Since: Jul 08

Malone, NY

#23 Mar 18, 2009
Irked wrote:
I have no fears but I do see what Noble has done for the economy around here. For ten years this area has been losing jobs, Noble has been one of the few companies to come in and offer good paying jobs. They've also been fantastic in helping the communities they've set up their farms in.
Yeah, they've done great for the economy. Three people who rented them land ended up with $700,000 liens on their land because of Noble. Wow, I guess we should really thank them for that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Explosion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dunedin firefighters respond to garage explosion Jun 14 Victim 1
News D-Day's Forgotten Black HeroesBy Linda Hervieux Jun 6 Go Blue Forever 1
News Brothers convicted in fatal robbery May 25 Go Blue Forever 1
News Prince's ex-wife Manuela Testolini honours late... May '16 Three Rounds 1
News new Maine museum offers $20,000 reward for piec... May '16 Jack 4
News The Latest: ATF: Intentionally set fire caused ... May '16 Cat74 1
News Air bag inflator recall to grow by 35 million t... May '16 Go Blue Forever 1
More from around the web