Since: Sep 07

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

Would you still believe what you believe? What if God does exist right now and you just don't know it? What if evolution is false? What if God doesn't exist? Would you still believe what you believe?

Some of you evolutionists out there (I am pointing toward Bob of Quantam-Faith) are all WTF?!? God doesn't exist!! I'm not asking you to prove anything right now. Just answer my questions, and tell me why that's your answer.

“blow it out your bagpipes”

Since: Dec 06

Salford, Manchester UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

Judged:

Since the theory of evolution says nothing about the existence or non-existence of God, your questions are philosophical in nature. In which case, you are referring to theistic evolution. I believe evolution is the process by which God set life in the Universe in motion. That said, my belief system most likely differs from your own and has nothing to do with the actual biological mechanisms. Proof of the existence or non-existence of God would not change that for me.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

Judged:

iVitamin wrote:
Would you still believe what you believe?
I currently do NOT believe in anything-- so, it makes no difference.

As long as there is NO PROOF.

I do allow for the possibility that god may exist.

I also allow that god may not.

I ALSO allow that more than one god may exist-- there is plenty of literature supporting THAT idea.

In fact, there is MORE "evidence" supporting multiple gods than there is supporting only one.

So, if pressed, I'd say it's likely that there are a multiplicity of gods, if there are ANY gods at all.
iVitamin wrote:
What if God does exist right now and you just don't know it?
See above.

I'll ask YOU the same thing: what if MULTIPLE gods exist, RIGHT NOW and YOU just don't know it, due to YOUR biases?

Consider THIS: what if you've chosen poorly? What if YOUR choice of god has a lousy after-life plan?

What if the choice of god or gods is what determines the after-life results?

If THIS IS the case-- I'd choose a more interesting afterlife. Say Egyptian or Norse. THEIR afterlife is ever-so-much more interesting that the heaven/hell one.

And a great deal more fair....
iVitamin wrote:
What if evolution is false?
If it, at a later date, is shown that evolution is false, then some superior _scientific_ theory will supplant it.

No big deal: I don't _believe_ in evolution.

I accept it as highly likely, with conditions. One of the CHIEF conditions is that, if sufficient evidence shows evolution to be flawed, it must be rejected.

By the SAME TOKEN, I feel the same way about god:

If EVER there is evidence to prove the existence of god (or gods), then I will cheerfully accept that.

(Unless the god turns out to be the fundamentalist's god-- in which case I'll cheerfully sign up with the opposition. The fundie's god is evil.)
iVitamin wrote:
What if God doesn't exist?
See above. The EXACT SAME reasoning applies.
iVitamin wrote:
I don't BELIEVE in ANYTHING-- not the way that YOU mean.
iVitamin wrote:
Some of you evolutionists out there (I am pointing toward Bob of Quantam-Faith) are all WTF?!? God doesn't exist!!
Nope NEVER, EVER said THAT.

I may have stated "god may not exist". I may have stated, in rare cases, "it is unlikely that god exists, given the lack of evidence".

But I'm not an atheist. I'm more of an agnostic:

I do not believe god exists.

I do not believe god DOES NOT exist.

I am UNDECIDED, and am awaiting more evidence. I may _never_ decide-- as evidence, OBJECTIVE evidence seems to be missing from this Universe.
iVitamin wrote:
I'm not asking you to prove anything right now. Just answer my questions, and tell me why that's your answer.
Why?

Because of logic and reason.

By divorcing one of one's feelings in the matter, and looking at things dispassionately, logically, is the ONLY way to proceed objectively.

And, I find I don't need a magical supernatural being, to have self-worth, to have a reason to live.

Being alive is more than sufficient, being able to look at the vastness of the cosmos, and feel wonder-- that is purpose enough for me.

Finding joy in the discovery of yet another minute facet of how life's inner workings operate-- that is purpose as well.

Helping other people to live their lives in a slightly better way than before they met me-- what more noble purpose than THAT-- I can't imagine.

Purpose in life, Why Are We Here-- these questions can be answered by the simple fact of being. By existing as a social, cooperative intelligent animal.

Why would anyone need more than that?(low self-esteem?)

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

iVitamin wrote:
Until evidence is shown for me to believe otherwise than yes, I'll still believe what I believe.
iVitamin wrote:
What if God does exist right now and you just don't know it?
Then nothing would change.
iVitamin wrote:
What if evolution is false?
Then scientists will have to do a lot of explaining trying to figure out why everything fits so nicely into the theory.
iVitamin wrote:
What if God doesn't exist?
What do you mean if? The idea of gods is a manmade concept to help explain away what wasn't understood.
iVitamin wrote:
Well...yeah.

Level 7

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

iVitamin wrote:
Would you still believe what you believe? What if God does exist right now and you just don't know it? What if evolution is false? What if God doesn't exist? Would you still believe what you believe?
Some of you evolutionists out there (I am pointing toward Bob of Quantam-Faith) are all WTF?!? God doesn't exist!! I'm not asking you to prove anything right now. Just answer my questions, and tell me why that's your answer.
Why don't you go ahead and answer these yourself? You seem very keen on posting long lists of questions and very short on posting anything in the way of answers.

Answer each of these questions you've posted along with this one:

If there is proof that there was no Flood, does that mean God doesn't exist?
BloodyViking

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I currently do NOT believe in anything-- so, it makes no difference.
As long as there is NO PROOF.
I do allow for the possibility that god may exist.
I also allow that god may not.
I ALSO allow that more than one god may exist-- there is plenty of literature supporting THAT idea.
In fact, there is MORE "evidence" supporting multiple gods than there is supporting only one.
So, if pressed, I'd say it's likely that there are a multiplicity of gods, if there are ANY gods at all.
<quoted text>
See above.
I'll ask YOU the same thing: what if MULTIPLE gods exist, RIGHT NOW and YOU just don't know it, due to YOUR biases?
Consider THIS: what if you've chosen poorly? What if YOUR choice of god has a lousy after-life plan?
What if the choice of god or gods is what determines the after-life results?
If THIS IS the case-- I'd choose a more interesting afterlife. Say Egyptian or Norse. THEIR afterlife is ever-so-much more interesting that the heaven/hell one.
And a great deal more fair....
<quoted text>
If it, at a later date, is shown that evolution is false, then some superior _scientific_ theory will supplant it.
No big deal: I don't _believe_ in evolution.
I accept it as highly likely, with conditions. One of the CHIEF conditions is that, if sufficient evidence shows evolution to be flawed, it must be rejected.
By the SAME TOKEN, I feel the same way about god:
If EVER there is evidence to prove the existence of god (or gods), then I will cheerfully accept that.
(Unless the god turns out to be the fundamentalist's god-- in which case I'll cheerfully sign up with the opposition. The fundie's god is evil.)
<quoted text>
See above. The EXACT SAME reasoning applies.
<quoted text>
I don't BELIEVE in ANYTHING-- not the way that YOU mean.
<quoted text>
Nope NEVER, EVER said THAT.
I may have stated "god may not exist". I may have stated, in rare cases, "it is unlikely that god exists, given the lack of evidence".
But I'm not an atheist. I'm more of an agnostic:
I do not believe god exists.
I do not believe god DOES NOT exist.
I am UNDECIDED, and am awaiting more evidence. I may _never_ decide-- as evidence, OBJECTIVE evidence seems to be missing from this Universe.
<quoted text>
Why?
Because of logic and reason.
By divorcing one of one's feelings in the matter, and looking at things dispassionately, logically, is the ONLY way to proceed objectively.
And, I find I don't need a magical supernatural being, to have self-worth, to have a reason to live.
Being alive is more than sufficient, being able to look at the vastness of the cosmos, and feel wonder-- that is purpose enough for me.
Finding joy in the discovery of yet another minute facet of how life's inner workings operate-- that is purpose as well.
Helping other people to live their lives in a slightly better way than before they met me-- what more noble purpose than THAT-- I can't imagine.
Purpose in life, Why Are We Here-- these questions can be answered by the simple fact of being. By existing as a social, cooperative intelligent animal.
Why would anyone need more than that?(low self-esteem?)
I couldn't have put it better. I will say that the complete lack of any evidence for any god(s) leads me to feel it much more likely that there are no gods at all, but if there is one, why wouldn't/couldn't there be more than one?

Level 1

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

iVitamin wrote:
Without evidence to the contrary, how and why would I believe something different than what I believe now??

If a god exists and I don't know it, then how am I supposed to believe in it/him/her? Thus far there is no evidential basis on which to believe, and there certainly is no more evidence or rationale to believe in the Christian God vs. any other god that has ever been discussed.

If evolution is false, then it's false. If we find evidence that it is false, it will be declared false. That's how science works. Thus far every year brings additional evidence supporting evolution.

If there in no god in existence, it doesn't change any of my current beliefs, as I've never seen evidence to believe in on anyway, and most certainly not in a personal god that is involved directly in the doings of mankind.
BloodyViking

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you go ahead and answer these yourself? You seem very keen on posting long lists of questions and very short on posting anything in the way of answers.
Answer each of these questions you've posted along with this one:
If there is proof that there was no Flood, does that mean God doesn't exist?
Don't you mean "SINCE there is proof that there was no Flood, does that mean God doesn't exist?" ;-)

Level 7

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

BloodyViking wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you mean "SINCE there is proof that there was no Flood, does that mean God doesn't exist?" ;-)
Shhh, you are tipping our hand and showing our cards.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

iVitamin

What if god exists and He is Allah, and He is pissed at you for being an infidel bound for hell? Hadn't you better cover your bases? Why guess, right?

Google "Pascal's Wager."

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

As soon as I see objective, unambiguous evidence that a prayer has ever been answered, a miracle has ever occurred or a supernatural being has ever communicated with a human, I'll be Praisin' the Lord and making out a check to the Jimmy Swaggart Defense Fund.

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

MADRONE wrote:
As soon as I see objective, unambiguous evidence that a prayer has ever been answered, a miracle has ever occurred or a supernatural being has ever communicated with a human, I'll be Praisin' the Lord and making out a check to the Jimmy Swaggart Defense Fund.
Me, if there is ever any such proof, I'll simply take a certain amount of cash out, each week.

Then, I'll go outside somewhere, and toss it all up in the air-- what god wants, he can keep. What falls back to earth, I'll keep....

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2007

<quoted text>
Me, if there is ever any such proof, I'll simply take a certain amount of cash out, each week.
Then, I'll go outside somewhere, and toss it all up in the air-- what god wants, he can keep. What falls back to earth, I'll keep....
And I'll be right there to snatch bills mid-air! I'm gonna be riiiiich!!

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2007

llDayo wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'll be right there to snatch bills mid-air! I'm gonna be riiiiich!!
Ahhh, but that's the point of being outside-- one can see around, and be certain no one is nearby.

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2007

<quoted text>
Ahhh, but that's the point of being outside-- one can see around, and be certain no one is nearby.
lol, but you'll NEVER know that for certain!!

“we do sarcasm and irony here”

Since: Aug 07

San Bernardino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2007

Gillette wrote:
iVitamin
What if god exists and He is Allah, and He is pissed at you for being an infidel bound for hell? Hadn't you better cover your bases? Why guess, right?
Google "Pascal's Wager."
Uh oh, now I'm embarrassed, I was about to comment on the wrong god.(red faced)
Cunning Boy

Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

If God is truly exist, one has to act or has the courage/willingness to learn how to act in front of Him other wise punishment awaiting him.
American

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

iVitamin wrote:
It's not and "if" He does. It's a simple step in faith to Christ Jesus to know so.

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2007

American wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not and "if" He does. It's a simple step in faith to Christ Jesus to know so.
Faith - belief without evidence. Yes, that's a logical, simple step.

Level 7

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2007

American wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, just like it's a simple step in faith in Thor to know that he also exists.

And, btw, my God can beat up on your God.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 35
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••