Frederik Pohl Dead: Influential Scien...

Frederik Pohl Dead: Influential Science Fiction Author And Agent Dies At 93

Posted in the Evolution Debate Forum

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#1 Sep 4, 2013
Frederich Pohl: author, editor.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/fred...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#2 Sep 4, 2013
Sad, he will be missed. I was surprised to see that he was still alive. Ninetythree is quite a respectable age.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#3 Sep 4, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Sad, he will be missed. I was surprised to see that he was still alive. Ninetythree is quite a respectable age.
It is.

We seem to be losing the great ones much faster than we can replace them.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#4 Sep 4, 2013
Chilli J wrote:
Frederich Pohl: author, editor.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/fred...
One of my favorite authors when I was a kid. Sad to think that most authors of science fiction (I was a big fan) that I read as a youngster are dead or dying now.:-(

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Level 9

Location hidden

#5 Sep 4, 2013
I've always thought his original Gateway book would make an excellent movie and that perhaps the rest of his Heechee Series books would make a great series of movies. I also particularly liked his Starchild trilogy. He was a gifted writer and co-writer with some of the other Science Fiction greats and his passing is a great loss to the genre.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#6 Sep 4, 2013
Sad news. I was a fan since I was a kid.

I agree with you Word and Mike, we are losing the greats and faster than they can be replaced. If such is truly possible.

In the last couple of years we have lost, Ray Bradbury, Harry Harrison, Arthur C. Clarke, Richard Matheson and now Fred Pohl.

I read Harrison's Bill the Galactic Hero and Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land when I was ten. I was hooked.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#7 Sep 4, 2013
Chilli J wrote:
I've always thought his original Gateway book would make an excellent movie and that perhaps the rest of his Heechee Series books would make a great series of movies. I also particularly liked his Starchild trilogy. He was a gifted writer and co-writer with some of the other Science Fiction greats and his passing is a great loss to the genre.
I could see that. Some of what Pohl wrote is not so far fetched anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Time 22 min Beagle 5
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 24 min ChristineM 164,969
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 52 min Aura Mytha 84,038
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 3 hr Frindly 3,346
No Evidence for Creation, a Global Flood, Tower... 5 hr Zog Has-fallen 63
Alabama people are the Anunnaki 11 hr Mrs parker science 1
Creationism is a Fantasy Fri Zog Has-fallen 7
More from around the web