Age of the Earth?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#22 Jun 13, 2011
LGK wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha ha the earth is flat. Changing the topic is an old trick, please try another one. This is not about the shape of the earth, it’s about the age.
C-14 shows beyond a reasonable doubt that the earth cannot be >100 000 years old. You can mock any religion as much you like, it won’t change the facts. It’s C-14 that counts (excuse the pun) & I put it to you that you cannot deal with it, flat earth - my foot.
The ignorance or fraud related to the R.A.T.E. study has been exposed several times in this forum.
Don from Canada

Barrie, Canada

#23 Jun 13, 2011
Christopher Pearsoll wrote:
I see we have another fool whose decided to sacrifice his honor, integrity and intellect on the bloody altar of his god.
And he's essentially running the same crap the last hundred of them did, are these parrots working off a bloody script?
Are you referring to Dawkins, then?
When the last century was destroyed by the atheist elite, you must be. Your ape is, indeed, a bloody god. The more and more godless the world becomes, the greater the atheists rampage. We haven't seen the most you can do yet.
Further, your THEORY is mathematically unlikely, suffering odds of more than the estimated particles of the universe numbered to one. If atheists weren't so lazy as to read the book they criticize they would see that much has been done in the name of God that He wouldn't condone. In fact, the book warns against atheistic behaviour and its consequences, and if inspected for evidence the Bible becomes more and more accurate as you deny evidence against your theory. Kan49 is reasonable. You are merely another sneer. Here is an idea. Work out your father issues and quit blaming God in you dad's stead.
Don from Canada

Barrie, Canada

#24 Jun 13, 2011
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
The age of the Earth is determined by physics and geology ... NOT biology (let alone the Theory of Evolution). Right off the bat, you display your ignorance of science.
<quoted text>
Bummer for you that History contradicts a 7000 year old Earth.
<quoted text>
Again, the Theory of Evolution says NOTHING about 'how the world came to be".
<quoted text>
This would be a LIE!
There is a VAST amount of evidence for evolution.
BILLIONS of bits of information, data and empirical evidence, collected over the past 200 years, studied and researched by TENS OF MILLIONS of scientists and technicians, from EVERY scientific discipline, form EVERY religious denomination, in TENS OF THOUSANDS of museums, universities, research laboratories, excavation sites, observatories, research hospitals, etc. all around the world.
<quoted text>
This would be a LIE!
<quoted text>
This would be a LIE!
<quoted text>
In science "we don't know that yet, but we are working on it" is a perfectly reasonable and acceptable answer. Further, there has been LOTS of research done on abiogenesis in the past 20 years or so.
<quoted text>
This would be a LIE!
There have been LOTS of transitional organisms found.
<quoted text>
Believe whatever you want, but adding up the ages of fictional characters in a bronze age, goat-herder FAIRY TALE is NOT considered scientific evidence.
<quoted text>
Yes we did. The REAL evidence is pretty overwhelming.
<quoted text>
For which you have some ink on a few pages of a bronze age, goat-herder FAIRY TALE in support.
<quoted text>
This would be a LIE!
THOUSANDS of years worth of BILLIONS of believers worshipping THOUSANDS of different "gods" and NO ONE has ever demonstrated that any of the "gods" exist, let alone that one of them "created" the Earth.
<quoted text>
This would be a LIE!
<quoted text>
We ARE apes.
Maybe YOU are an ape friend. Speak for yourself.
Right off the bat you display your ignorance of science. Geology and physics do not verify age beyond theory. They also prove the earth to be young, depending on which "theory" you are wanting to bend the stats for. Bummer for you that History doesn't back you up. In your defense; you're doing well for a chimp.
There is as much evidence from "history" of gods being on the earth as your ape theory. read a book. Humans defy evolution theory. the fact that we are communicating in this fashion is proof against evolution. So is math, music, the arts and dollar stores. The reason you don't pursue your higher purpose is because you feel like an animal. Come on in from the barn. it is dinner time.
(I can't believe that a guy who thinks he is a monkey is scoffing. LOL!)
There is lots of science to back up creationism, turkey.(I trust your not offended as I am led to understand you believe yourself to be a distant relative of the bird...)
Don from Canada

Barrie, Canada

#25 Jun 13, 2011
Christopher Pearsoll wrote:
<quoted text>
In it's youth, the Earth rotated much faster than it does now.
The length of one day was about 21.9 hours 620 million years ago as recorded by rhythmites (alternating layers in sandstone); when the Earth was new about 4.5 billion years ago, it was probably around six hours as determined by computer simulations.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day )
Did you hold the stop watch? I only say this to show how unfair you are with creationists. And I am a fool for believing in God? OOOOKAAAAY!
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#26 Jun 13, 2011
LGK wrote:
The people & dare I say all of them, supporting billions of years have NOT studied the evidence against for themselves. They are what I'll call repeaters. They were told Earth is billions of years, there’s lots of evidence, everyone knows etc & they believed it. Now they just repeat it as if if it's actually true. They never answer a specific challenge with specific facts & their ignorance forces them to resort to sound bites & pasting webpages they never read.
Here is some of the evidence, not sound bites, against billions of years:
• C-14 should not exist in once living things that are >100 000 years old yet its the rule, not the exception.
• Radio-metric dating gives the maximum, not the actual age. When used on samples of known age it gives wild results e.g. bns of years for things whose origin has been observed in 1 generation.
• Radio-metric dating is based on unprovable assumptions taken on FAITH. Repeaters have been conditioned into believing faith only applies to religion. Consequently they are incapable of seeing it in science.
That’s just the half of it but to prove something wrong doesn’t take 100s of examples (again that today’s “scientists” don’t know this), ONE good one will do. C-14, to anyone who understands the problem & not just a repeater, kills off exposes the billions of years. Old Earth is pure FICTION.
Unlike repeaters aka Sheeple, I have read things for myself. I am talking from knowledge, not programming. I can think for myself which some people find offensive. Tough.
You've already been TOLD (a long long time ago, by poly if I recall) that accelerating radioactive decay has been TRIED, required ENORMOUS amounts of heat which led to a NEGLIGIBLE effect to dates (geologically speaking).

Therefore you ASSUME that dating techniques MUST be wrong because they conflict with your pre-conceived ASSUMPTION that the Earth is 6000 years old, DESPITE the fact that there is NO EVIDENCE of a fundamental change in the rules of physics in the past few millennia, which inevitably leaves to the universe becoming so hot it INCINERATES ALL LIFE.

In other words El, stop projecting your own failures onto others because you deny reality for religious reasons.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#27 Jun 13, 2011
LGK wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha ha the earth is flat. Changing the topic is an old trick, please try another one. This is not about the shape of the earth, it’s about the age.
C-14 shows beyond a reasonable doubt that the earth cannot be >100 000 years old. You can mock any religion as much you like, it won’t change the facts. It’s C-14 that counts (excuse the pun) & I put it to you that you cannot deal with it, flat earth - my foot.
It's already been dealt with ages ago.

Besides, you get your "6,000 year old Earth" figure from a "literal" interpretation of the Bible.

Which also states the Earth is a flat square circle at the centre of a geocentric universe. Among other things.

Hypocrisy much, El?
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#28 Jun 13, 2011
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
The ignorance or fraud related to the R.A.T.E. study has been exposed several times in this forum.
Including LGK herself.
Don from Canada

Barrie, Canada

#29 Jun 13, 2011
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you're in the wrong forum. You want geology or astrophysics.
<quoted text>
Your understanding is wrong. Evolution is not goal directed. You can take it from this that whatever you postulate further, which is presumably based on this misunderstanding, will also be wrong.
<quoted text>
There IS no scientific debate. The ONLY people who "debate" the age of the Earth do so for RELIGIOUS reasons, as you happily demonstrate.
<quoted text>
False, the Bible makes no specific claim. Hence why Old Earth Creationists disagree with you.
<quoted text>
False. Evolution is observed and has been demonstrated in the lab and the field. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean scientists don't. And it was established that the Earth was MUCH older than 6000 years BEFORE Darwin came along.
<quoted text>
You are referring to abiogenesis, which evolution doesn't have to explain. All evolution needs is life to be here. Life IS here. Life evolves. Facts.
<quoted text>
The fossil record contradicts your claims. There ARE transitionals. However there should NOT be lots of them. Fossilization is the exception, not the rule.
<quoted text>
Your beliefs are irrelevant to reality and have no evidence. Since you claim otherwise, then may I ask, what exactly IS the "scientific theory" of Creationism? Or is it just "Evolution iz wrong therefore Goddidit with magic!" ?
Thought so.
If evolution can be observed in a lab, then how old is your lab? The only thing evolving is the theory of evolution.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#30 Jun 13, 2011
Don from Canada wrote:
<quoted text>Did you hold the stop watch? I only say this to show how unfair you are with creationists. And I am a fool for believing in God? OOOOKAAAAY!
CP's figure is quite reasonable. Daily tides transfer angular momentum from the Earth to the Moon, slowing down the Earth's rotation and increasing the velocity of the Moon and it's distance from the Earth. The total angular momentum is conserved.

It's not the kind of thing a creationist can grasp since the are, de facto, science illiterates.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#31 Jun 13, 2011
Don from Canada wrote:
When the last century was destroyed by the atheist elite, you must be. Your ape is, indeed, a bloody god. The more and more godless the world becomes, the greater the atheists rampage. We haven't seen the most you can do yet.
I'm sorry, I don't recall Dawkins going on a bloody rampage.
Don from Canada wrote:
Further, your THEORY is mathematically unlikely, suffering odds of more than the estimated particles of the universe numbered to one.
False. Obviously you have read more about fundie apologetics than you have science.
Don from Canada wrote:
If atheists weren't so lazy as to read the book they criticize they would see that much has been done in the name of God that He wouldn't condone.
Really? And how do YOU know what God would or would not condone? You can't even demonstrate such a thing exists, much less decide for it what it likes. Or were you trying to pre-empt us with the 'No true Scotsman' fallacy?

Thought so.

But what does atheism have to do with evolution?

(Answer (to save time)- NOTHING).
Don from Canada wrote:
In fact, the book warns against atheistic behaviour and its consequences, and if inspected for evidence the Bible becomes more and more accurate as you deny evidence against your theory.
You mean like talking lizards and donkeys? A flat square circular Earth at the center of a geocentric universe? For example.
Don from Canada wrote:
Kan49 is reasonable. You are merely another sneer. Here is an idea. Work out your father issues and quit blaming God in you dad's stead.
If he is reasonable then you should be able to reasonably address the posts put to him without going on an incoherent rant.

That's not gonna happen, is it?
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#32 Jun 13, 2011
Don from Canada wrote:
<quoted text>
Right off the bat you display your ignorance of science. Geology and physics do not verify age beyond theory.
Um, Donny, theory is as high as it gets in science.

You DID know that, didn't you?
Don from Canada wrote:
They also prove the earth to be young, depending on which "theory" you are wanting to bend the stats for. Bummer for you that History doesn't back you up. In your defense; you're doing well for a chimp.
There IS no alternative "theory". There are the baseless claims of the religious which state otherwise, but they have been unable to verify their claims via the scientific method.
Don from Canada wrote:
There is as much evidence from "history" of gods being on the earth as your ape theory. read a book. Humans defy evolution theory. the fact that we are communicating in this fashion is proof against evolution. So is math, music, the arts and dollar stores.
Perhaps you'd like to explain yourself, as none of what you said here makes any sense.
Don from Canada wrote:
The reason you don't pursue your higher purpose is because you feel like an animal. Come on in from the barn. it is dinner time.
And what "purpose" is that?

Are you saying you are the first man ever to know what the meaning of life is? How humble of you.

Then by all means, O wise one, do share.
Don from Canada wrote:
There is lots of science to back up creationism, turkey.(I trust your not offended as I am led to understand you believe yourself to be a distant relative of the bird...)
Yet ironically, just like every other creationist you are unable to present such "evidence". And suffice to say that if we do happen to examine your claims in greater detail they will ultimately lead to that amazing "scientific theory", GODDIDIT WITH MAGIC.

So are you just here to expose your ignorance to the world and insult anyone who disagrees with you? If so, you can understand why no-one will take you seriously, yes?
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#33 Jun 13, 2011
Don from Canada wrote:
<quoted text>Did you hold the stop watch? I only say this to show how unfair you are with creationists. And I am a fool for believing in God? OOOOKAAAAY!
I don't think you are a fool for believing in God, I think you're a fool for believing that such a being is limited by your ignorance.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#34 Jun 13, 2011
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
....It's not the kind of thing a creationist can grasp since the are, de facto, science illiterates.
Errata:'creationist' should be 'fundie'.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#35 Jun 13, 2011
Don from Canada wrote:
<quoted text> If evolution can be observed in a lab, then how old is your lab? The only thing evolving is the theory of evolution.
WHOA! Wit.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB910.h...

So what's the "scientific theory" of Creationism then?

You would be the first to answer, but you appear to be the confident sort.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#36 Jun 13, 2011
Don from Canada wrote:
<quoted text> If evolution can be observed in a lab, then how old is your lab? The only thing evolving is the theory of evolution.
Deletion/insertion mutation.
Trysomy21:Down's syndrome
FOX13 frameshift mutation
LL601 Liberty rice
Experimental evolution: domestic corn/selected for traits
phiX174 virus:temperature mutation occurred in same place
Evolution in the wild:cryptic coloration in mice:piebald, albino,Pinacate lava coloration(rock pocket mice)

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#37 Jun 13, 2011
Don from Canada wrote:
<quoted text>
Right off the bat you display your ignorance of science. Geology and physics do not verify age beyond theory.
What do you think a theory is, in a scientific context?
Don from Canada wrote:
They also prove the earth to be young, depending on which "theory" you are wanting to bend the stats for. Bummer for you that History doesn't back you up. In your defense; you're doing well for a chimp.
Geology and physics prove the Earth is young? Great. Please present the evidence. Let me guess: RATE.
Don from Canada wrote:
There is as much evidence from "history" of gods being on the earth as your ape theory.
So, you either think Jesus never walked the Earth or that he did but was not God. Well, that's a step in the right direction.
Don from Canada wrote:
read a book. Humans defy evolution theory. the fact that we are communicating in this fashion is proof against evolution. So is math, music, the arts and dollar stores.
Nothing about computers, the Internet, math, music, the arts, dollar stores (?), or anything else you've thus far mentioned is evidence that "humans defy evolution theory." But, since you made the claim, back it up. Explain why they demonstrate defiance of evolutionary theory and provide evidence that supports your explanation.
Don from Chicago wrote:
The reason you don't pursue your higher purpose is because you feel like an animal. Come on in from the barn. it is dinner time.
What is this "higher purpose?"
Don from Canada wrote:
Are monkeys apes?
Don from Chicago wrote:
Great. Present your evidence. I'm sure you have some peer-reviewed scientific journal articles you'd like to cite.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#38 Jun 13, 2011
Don from Canada wrote:
Google "Richard Lenski e. coli" for more information.

Clearly your ignorance doesn't prevent you from assuming you know everything.

Dunning-Kruger strikes again.

“Religion is Superstition”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#39 Jun 13, 2011
Don from Canada wrote:
<quoted text>
Further, your THEORY is mathematically unlikely, suffering odds of more than the estimated particles of the universe numbered to one. If atheists weren't so lazy as to read the book they criticize they would see that much has been done in the name of God that He wouldn't condone. In fact, the book warns against atheistic behaviour and its consequences, and if inspected for evidence the Bible becomes more and more accurate as you deny evidence against your theory. Kan49 is reasonable. You are merely another sneer. Here is an idea. Work out your father issues and quit blaming God in you dad's stead.
It would be nice if once, just once, we could get a non-argument out of these clowns that we haven't seen a thousand times over already.

“Science is the waytof truth”

Level 1

Since: Aug 10

Earth

#40 Jun 13, 2011
Kan49 wrote:
To my understanding evolution believes that as time passes things get better and should be evolving into better things.

Then perhaps you should study the subject before forming an opinion upon a mistaken foundation.

Evolution is how populations of living thing change over time and from place to place. Generally, selective pressure favors populations becoming better adapted over time--but not always. Evolution is not "survival of the fittest" but "survival of the survivors"

Perfectly fit species can be destroyed for natural disasters or bad luck. Species can become too well adapted to one environment, so that they fail to adapt to a change. I religious fanatics manage to blow up the world, this will certainly have been true for us and our giant brain.

Life is not climbing a ladder of perfection. It is just growing and changing and branching.

Further, the earth is 4.54 billion years old. If you don't know this and know how I can say it with such certainty, you need more scientific literacy before you are ready to question the wisdom of the global scientific community. Hint: You will NOT get it by visiting young earth creation websites.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#41 Jun 13, 2011
Don from Canada wrote:
<quoted text>
Right off the bat you display your ignorance of science. Geology and physics do not verify age beyond theory. They also prove the earth to be young, depending on which "theory" you are wanting to bend the stats for. Bummer for you that History doesn't back you up. In your defense; you're doing well for a chimp.
There is as much evidence from "history" of gods being on the earth as your ape theory. read a book. Humans defy evolution theory. the fact that we are communicating in this fashion is proof against evolution. So is math, music, the arts and dollar stores. The reason you don't pursue your higher purpose is because you feel like an animal. Come on in from the barn. it is dinner time.
I call Poe.

No one can be this stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 min Genesis Enigma 157,785
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 22 min Amused 24,892
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 35 min ChromiuMan 1,215
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 44 min Ian 513
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 45 min Ian 52,241
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 hr ChromiuMan 218,831
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) Jan 19 scientia potentia... 98
More from around the web