Aliens and evolution

Aliens and evolution

There are 6309 comments on the Washington Times story from Jun 19, 2012, titled Aliens and evolution. In it, Washington Times reports that:

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Washington Times.

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#5826 Mar 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you lie, you hate kitty's don't you?
Remember Nugglet , I don't think any of them ever existed except in tribal superstitious and ignorant minds, or created by shysters to lead people by the ring in their nose.
Kitty hater!
How is it a lie to redefine your argument the way your are trying to redefine mine?

If you honestly believe that my argument:
"The people of Egypt worshiped the Pharaoh as a god in their religions, therefore he can be called a god just like Thor or Zeus" translates to:
"I worship the ancient Egyptian religion"

Then your argument:
"Only certain kinds of gods should be counted as gods, and others don't."
translates to:
"Jesus is the one and only god, anyone else is a faker."

I'm just using your translator.

Level 7

Los Angeles, CA

#5827 Mar 16, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
he never said that you tool
He says "that" frequently.

Not as frequently as "the" or "and", but it's not an uncommon word.
Jimmy

London, UK

#5828 Mar 16, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
He says "that" frequently.
Not as frequently as "the" or "and", but it's not an uncommon word.
you just confirmed you're a tool

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5829 Mar 16, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
That used to make sense a lot more when people have real clocks.
My digital clock in the other room reads: "EEEE"
You know, that is true. I think we should come up with a new, more modern, analogy for that one now.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5830 Mar 16, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I'm going by DNA evidence and not dusty old broken pottery.
You claim they never co-existed, that's BS.
Well, DNA evidence shows that they're still around. Thus, they didn't die in a world wide disaster.

“Proud Member”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The Basket of Deplorables

#5831 Mar 16, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it a lie to redefine your argument the way your are trying to redefine mine?
If you honestly believe that my argument:
"The people of Egypt worshiped the Pharaoh as a god in their religions, therefore he can be called a god just like Thor or Zeus" translates to:
"I worship the ancient Egyptian religion"
Then your argument:
"Only certain kinds of gods should be counted as gods, and others don't."
translates to:
"Jesus is the one and only god, anyone else is a faker."
I'm just using your translator.
My wife calls me god, especially after sex, but I know it isn't true. Seems you highly orgasmic crowd are quick to name god < it's okay you can just call me Mr. O..:)

“I'm Hillary's Deplorable”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#5832 Mar 17, 2013
People believe in aliens for the same reason the religious believe in God and with the same standard of evidence.
Jimmy

London, UK

#5833 Mar 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
People believe in aliens for the same reason the religious believe in God and with the same standard of evidence.
alien life is possible and we are the evidence. there is no evidence of god at all.

“I'm Hillary's Deplorable”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#5834 Mar 17, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
alien life is possible and we are the evidence. there is no evidence of god at all.
I've heard creationists make that exact same argument for the existence of God.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#5835 Mar 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've heard creationists make that exact same argument for the existence of God.
Creationists are stupid.(shrug)

Level 7

Los Angeles, CA

#5836 Mar 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've heard creationists make that exact same argument for the existence of God.
You've heard creations use the argument "there is no evidence for god" to explain the existence of God?

Life exists. That's a fact.
Extrapolating from that, it's possible that life can exist somewhere else.

There is not "magical Jewish Wizard" from which to extrapolate other extra-dimensional Jewish Wizards.
Lincoln

United States

#5837 Mar 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, that is true. I think we should come up with a new, more modern, analogy for that one now.
Atheists-
"a person who feels that someone, somehow, somewhere, believes in God and it is their mission in life to correct this situation."

Science is silent on the existence of God
ARGUING with IDIOTS

Redding, CA

#5838 Mar 17, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>You've heard creations use the argument "there is no evidence for god" to explain the existence of God?

Life exists. That's a fact.
Extrapolating from that, it's possible that life can exist somewhere else.

There is not "magical Jewish Wizard" from which to extrapolate other extra-dimensional Jewish Wizards.
If there was any evidence of life somewhere else, maybe, but until then we must argue "no evidence, then it doesn't exist"

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#5839 Mar 17, 2013
ARGUING with IDIOTS wrote:
<quoted text>
If there was any evidence of life somewhere else, maybe, but until then we must argue "no evidence, then it doesn't exist"
Wow, ARGUING with HIMSELF is almost correct. We should treat the concept of alien and alien life the same as we treat the existence of god. There is no evidence that either exists so we should treat them both as if they did not exist, at least in our daily lives.

Of course that does not mean we stop looking for evidence of either one.

But until that evidence is found, I agree with ARGUING, for all practical purposes they do not exist.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5840 Mar 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, DNA evidence shows that they're still around. Thus, they didn't die in a world wide disaster.
Focus, moron. A world-wide disaster was not mentioned by anybody but you.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5841 Mar 17, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Humm, related Related Topix Forums: Religion
You will have to do better than that, you skank.
You didn't see how I worded that sentence did you? Maybe you should consider how I used the word "consider", considering you are, as he is, in "enemy" territory. It is you in our living room, though you have been the interloper much longer than the dim lout, "Jumper the vapid hole" has.
Hey could we get you two together, and then between you, you might have half 'A' life?
I access it through the evo forum, cwnt.

BTW, somebody oughta tell you that you look horrid in purple.

http://www.spin.com/sites/all/files/styles/st...

Oh yeah, and those cheap wigs do nothing for your appearance either, fruit fly.
ARGUING with IDIOTS

Redding, CA

#5842 Mar 17, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, ARGUING with HIMSELF is almost correct. We should treat the concept of alien and alien life the same as we treat the existence of god. There is no evidence that either exists so we should treat them both as if they did not exist, at least in our daily lives.

Of course that does not mean we stop looking for evidence of either one.

But until that evidence is found, I agree with ARGUING, for all practical purposes they do not exist.
I'm sure there is much more we could agree with when a standard is shared.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#5843 Mar 17, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Which is precisely the problem with the concept.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#5844 Mar 17, 2013
ARGUING with IDIOTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is a little premature considering how much of the universe which has been explored. The point however that you and Brian are unable to grasp is that at least aliens have the potential for falsification. That alone makes them scientific.

Since: Mar 13

Springfield, OH

#5845 Mar 17, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists-
"a person who feels that someone, somehow, somewhere, believes in God and it is their mission in life to correct this situation."
Science is silent on the existence of elves too. Science does not try to prove or disprove a god (or elves). I think that silence should in itself be an indicator.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 min Dogen 152,333
Hillary, a taco stand on every corner 3 min Demon Finder 7
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Shavin Marvin 210,266
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 min ChristineM 20,365
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Into The Night 45,575
Science News (Sep '13) 18 hr Voyeur 3,629
America evolving into lockdown on purpose Sep 25 Dogen 68
More from around the web