Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Times

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Comments
4,201 - 4,220 of 6,103 Comments Last updated May 20, 2013

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#4260 Dec 6, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually International Space Law does not allow private ownership of the Moon, so it will take some new laws to open up the possibility of individual property rights.
But the idea that humans would be thought of as "aliens" when visiting their own moon is still arguable.
A short and somewhat incomplete overview -- " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Trea... ;
We already went through that one , notice it is a failed treaty
it was never ratified and the path to this premise is set in motion.
You will probably see the own-age of lunar property in your life.

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#4261 Dec 6, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Damn, you are an idiot. This is what I wrote >>> "We are not alien to our own moon."
"My contention? Earth's moon, Dipshit, as in not belonging to Mars, Pluto, Jupiter, etc.<<<<.
Show me these words in my postings, >>>> Your argument is that because the Moon is near the Earth, humans are from the moon. <<< other than right here.
The argument you are joining begins on page 4 with the argument that "aliens" have visited the moon and that NASA broadcast the landing.
That's because HUMANS are not native to the moon, so when we landed on the moon we were aliens there.
You've joined THAT discussion with your statement:
"We are not alien to our own moon".
Meaning, you do not believe that "we" (Humans) are, in fact, native to the moon.
That's factually incorrect. No human has ever been born on the moon. No human colonies exist on the moon.
Alternately, you COULD be arguing that we are "native" to the moon because we are NEAR the moon, in the same way that someone "native" to Mexico is from Texas.
That's also incorrect.
Since you are insistent on repeatedly doing this, let's just start referring to you, as a liar. It makes more sense than to refute every single sentence you write by reposting what I actually wrote, and pointing out that the words you claim in my posts, simply aren't there.
Show me where I lied. I just clarified your position by extrapolating it.

Or, are you now claiming that you jumped into the middle of a discussion not having any idea what we being discussed and made a statement which you want to be taken without context at all?

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#4262 Dec 6, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
However, since the matter that makes up the moon was actually once part of Earth, that makes our moon a child of Earth. So really, it's not alien to Earth.
Bah!

All the matter that's in the Earth and the Moon came from the same place that all the matter in Jupiter and Mars and Venus came from. Does that mean we're all from those planets as well?

That's poor reasoning.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#4263 Dec 6, 2012
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Bah!
All the matter that's in the Earth and the Moon came from the same place that all the matter in Jupiter and Mars and Venus came from. Does that mean we're all from those planets as well?
That's poor reasoning.
Erm, what? I don't study much cosmology yet even I know you are really not up to date on the information. The moon that orbits our Earth, still a funny name for a planet, was part of Earth ejected from the planet by a collision with another planet. I forget the name, but there are tons of documents, evidence, all sorts of things that explain this. It's not a big secret. Not to mention, I didn't say we are not alien to the moon orbiting us, but that the moon is native to our planet as well. Stop twisting words to use as weapons, it's a sign of desperation.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#4264 Dec 7, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I only know of just the one.
There are others ....
There are 57 other moons that have been discovered around Jupiter. There are four closer than Io. Their names, in order from Jupiter are Metis, Adrastea, Amalthea, and Thebe. Still in order after the Galilean Satellites are recently discovered Themisto, Leda, Himalia, Lysithea, and Elara. Then there are four more recently discovered moons, Ananke, and three more moons, of which scientists know little about. After these seven come Ananke, Carme, PasiphaŽ, and Sinope, with two more moons in-between PasiphaŽ and Sinope. After Sinope, 12 more moons are found.The outer 33 moons all orbit Jupiter in a direction opposite (except for J/2003 J20) to that which Jupiter spins, which leads scientists to believe they are captured asteroids. more >> burro.astr.cwru.edu/stu/jupiter_moons.html

The Saturnian system contains several smaller, irregular moons that we know very little about. These satellites of the planet saturn are extremely small, and many were not discovered until the Voyager and Cassini encounters with Saturn or by astronomers using the Hubble space telescope. Because of their small size, it is possible that some of these moons may be captured asteroids or comets. These recent discoveries bring the total number of Saturnian moons to 62. Below is a listing of some of the the largest of these moons in the order of their distance from Saturn. Images that appear on this page are the best available at this time. You may access information on one of the moons directly by clicking on its name below. more >> www.seasky.org/solar-system/saturn-moons.html

Until a couple years ago, Mars has always been the top candidate for a planet other than Earth where life might be found. What if Mars disappoints us? Are there other candidates in the solar system?

The answer is yes, and the next-best shot at finding extra-terrestrial life forms is on Europa, a moon of the planet Jupiter. Right now, there is no other body in the solar system that attracts as much scientific attention as this bright strange-looking moon, the smallest of Jupiter's four large satellites. Shown below, top to bottom (and as you would approach them moving outward from Jupiter) are Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto. more >> earthguide.ucsd.edu/virtualmuseum/litu/10_3.s...
Earth usually has more than one moon, according to a team of astronomers from the University of Helsinki, the Paris Observatory and the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Our 2,000-mile-diameter Moon, so beloved by poets, artists and romantics, has been orbiting Earth for over 4 billion years. Its much smaller cousins, dubbed ďminimoons,Ē are thought to be only a few feet across and to usually orbit our planet for less than a year before resuming their previous lives as asteroids orbiting the Sun. more>> www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/press-releases/minimo...

Earth,TX

#4265 Dec 7, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll have you know I'm a space Captain , in charge of space cadets.
:o) heheheh
Oh Captain, my Captain .....

Earth,TX

#4266 Dec 7, 2012
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
The argument you are joining begins on page 4 with the argument that "aliens" have visited the moon and that NASA broadcast the landing.
That's because HUMANS are not native to the moon, so when we landed on the moon we were aliens there.
Meaning, you do not believe that "we" (Humans) are, in fact, native to the moon.
That's factually incorrect. No human has ever been born on the moon. No human colonies exist on the moon.
Alternately, you COULD be arguing that we are "native" to the moon because we are NEAR the moon, in the same way that someone "native" to Mexico is from Texas.
That's also incorrect.
<quoted text>
Or, are you now claiming that you jumped into the middle of a discussion not having any idea what we being discussed and made a statement which you want to be taken without context at all?
Our moon, it's that simple

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#4267 Dec 7, 2012
<quoted text>The answer is yes, and the next-best shot at finding extra-terrestrial life forms is on Europa, a moon of the planet Jupiter. Right now, there is no other body in the solar system that attracts as much scientific attention as this bright strange-looking moon, the smallest of Jupiter's four large satellites. Shown below, top to bottom (and as you would approach them moving outward from Jupiter) are Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto. more >> earthguide.ucsd.edu/virtualmuseum/litu/10_3.s...
Actually, there's also a moon around Saturn that shows promise in finding life on it, the one that's "leaking" water. I don't recall the name, just heard about it a few times.

Earth,TX

#4268 Dec 7, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, there's also a moon around Saturn that shows promise in finding life on it, the one that's "leaking" water. I don't recall the name, just heard about it a few times.
I will have to research that, it sounds intriguing

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#4269 Dec 8, 2012
<quoted text>I will have to research that, it sounds intriguing
There may be a Nat Geo on it, or a lecture or three hundred on YouTube. It was interesting, but not interesting enough to me, as I said, cosmology isn't my thing. I'm still waiting for biocircuitry to be figured out, that's my moon with life on it.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4270 Dec 8, 2012
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
That's also incorrect.
<quoted text>
Do the world a favour and shut the f*ck up you rambling, lying sack of sh*t troll.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4271 Dec 8, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop twisting words to use as weapons, it's a sign of desperation.
When he loses arguments he accuses you of stuff like denying the moon landings, denying that egypt exists, or in the case of Aura Mythra and others, Nuggin simples calls them a YEC. Ignorant troll with his troll sidekick Dude.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Level 1

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#4272 Dec 8, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
We already went through that one , notice it is a failed treaty
it was never ratified and the path to this premise is set in motion.
You will probably see the own-age of lunar property in your life.
You are right about the treaty, but it is the de facto position of most space scientists, well at least it was back in the '80s when I was working in that arena.

Which also kind of tells you my age, so I might not see the rebirth of space exploration the way it needs to happen.

I'm not keeping up with this thread too closely. Are humans "foreigners" within their own Earth-Moon system? Not only is that a childish argument to spend all this time on, it's not even an accurate definition of "alien".

“ecrasez l'infame”

Level 1

Atlanta, Georgia

#4273 Dec 8, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
When he loses arguments he accuses you of stuff like denying the moon landings, denying that egypt exists, or in the case of Aura Mythra and others, Nuggin simples calls them a YEC. Ignorant troll with his troll sidekick Dude.
Me ... me ... me ... according to Nuggins I'm a YEC too! Figure that one out.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Level 1

Atlanta, Georgia

#4274 Dec 8, 2012
<quoted text>There are others ....
...The answer is yes, and the next-best shot at finding extra-terrestrial life forms is on Europa, a moon of the planet Jupiter. Right now, there is no other body in the solar system that attracts as much scientific attention as this bright strange-looking moon, the smallest of Jupiter's four large satellites. Shown below, top to bottom (and as you would approach them moving outward from Jupiter) are Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto. more >> earthguide.ucsd.edu/virtualmuseum/litu/10_3.s...
Titan is also of keen interest, but it's not as close, so it's much harder to research.

I'm still expecting Curiosity to find signs of life. I'm looking forward to watching the mad scramble to redefine the god of the gaps.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Level 1

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#4275 Dec 8, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Me ... me ... me ... according to Nuggins I'm a YEC too! Figure that one out.
He called me a godbot, go figure!

Level 1

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#4276 Dec 8, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Titan is also of keen interest, but it's not as close, so it's much harder to research.
I'm still expecting Curiosity to find signs of life. I'm looking forward to watching the mad scramble to redefine the god of the gaps.
Yes, I feel the same.

It would be quite something.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#4277 Dec 8, 2012
Property on the moon belongs to whoever can defend it; like everywhere else. Water exists on the lunar poles.

Good luck!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#4278 Dec 8, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
If there was life on Mars, it was during the time when there was open water, which was billions of years ago. At most bacterial life at that point and probably hard to find the fossils of.

My bets are more for Europa and Titian. Titian is interesting because it has a lot of organic compounds in its atmosphere, but the biology would have to be ammonia based rather than water based. Is that even possible? Who knows.

Europa has the energy source (from tidal action) and the water and perhaps the organics. Maybe?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#4279 Dec 8, 2012
Dang it: Titan, not Titian

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 24 min Subduction Zone 115,117
Evolution Theory Facing Crisis 3 hr Gillette 172
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 3 hr One way or another 172,497
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr TurkanaBoy 136,241
Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered - live science (Sep '13) 3 hr TurkanaBoy 296
Science News (Sep '13) 14 hr positronium 2,848
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism Wed Zog Has-fallen 343
When Will Evolutionists Confess Their Atheistic... (Feb '14) Aug 14 The Dude 1,831
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••