Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Times

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Comments (Page 201)

Showing posts 4,001 - 4,020 of6,103
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Who?
Reminds me of a funny story...

I was sitting at the bar in the American Legion one night when American Woman comes on the jukebox. A lady sitting near me asks who did the song. I said "Guess Who". She said she asked because she didn't know who it was and asked again. Again I said "Guess Who". She started getting annoyed and said she didn't want to guess and who the hell was it??? Once more, I told her "Guess Who". Pissed off now, she says "The Who?" I said no, the Who was an English band, Guess Who was Canadian. She got *really* pissed and said I was just f**king with her. I had to actually walk her over to the jukebox and show her the name.

Abbott and Costello would have loved it.

Level 1

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I'm very familiar with it. Saw Yes when I lived in Germany several thousand years ago. Saw them as Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe in Harrisburg, PA some years ago. One of my all time favorite bands.
Close to the edge, just by a river.
Seasons will pass you by.
I get up, I get down.
Great stuff!
Hi Mike

I only saw Yes on the one occasion: It was on the "Going For the One" tour in 1977. They were supported by Donovan, Great show!

They were the days when you could buy concert tickets for less than the price of an album, which meant I got to see lots of great bands:

Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, King Crimson, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath,Rory Gallagher, The Who, Hawkwind, Rainbow, Pink Floyd, Humble Pie, etc.

Class acts

Level 1

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That never occurred to me until I saw that question.
I still remember the first time I heard that album.
I was in the Naval Academy. I had a contraband record player and a set of headphones. I and a few other middies were playing penny ante poker. I was down a quarter and bowed out.(I'm not much of a gambler.)
I laid back on my bunk and put that album on with my headphones and just got goosebumps through the whole thing.
That was 40 freaking years ago.
It's a great album and ever since 1972, it's never been far from my stereo.

Level 1

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mike
I only saw Yes on the one occasion: It was on the "Going For the One" tour in 1977. They were supported by Donovan, Great show!
They were the days when you could buy concert tickets for less than the price of an album, which meant I got to see lots of great bands:
Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, King Crimson, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath,Rory Gallagher, The Who, Hawkwind, Rainbow, Pink Floyd, Humble Pie, etc.
Class acts
I forgot about Wishbone Ash!

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

THE BAPTIST wrote:
<quoted text>You do not quite understand,that maybe god suspended thier natural instincts,for that forty days and nights.You might laugh at that,but that is most likely happenned.
I want you to stop and think for a second...

Let's say the flood happened.
Let's say that God created magic water that showed up from nowhere and then went away afterwards.
Let's say that Noah had a boat big enough to hold between 2-8 of every animal.
Let's say that he could GET all these animals (including ALL the dinosaurs, ALL the marsupials, ALL the reptiles, ALL the birds, ALL the beetles, ants, bees, etc etc etc)
Let's say that God magically made it so that none of the animals killed each other during the trip.
Let's say that Noah landed the boat and let all the animals off at Mt. Arat.
Let's say that as soon as that happened, ALL the Australian marsupials left together in one group and headed straight to Australia.
Let's say that ALL the lemurs got together and headed straight for Madagascar.
Let's say ALL of that happened.

Now, let's talk about the first WEEK after landing.

You've got 2 tigers, 2 lions, 2 leopards, 2 cheetahs, 2 grizzlies, 2 black bears, 2 wolves, 2 coyotes, 2 hyenas, 2 jackals, 2 mountain lions, 2 bobcats, 2 foxes, etc etc etc.

And you've got 2 rabbits, 2 deer, 2 antelope, etc etc etc

Rabbits reproduce fast, but they don't reproduce fast enough that they could supply food for EVERY predator.

MAYBE you could have one of the lions go a week without food, but the gestation period on a wildebest is a lot longer than a week.

EVEN IF all the prey animals gave birth IMMEDIATELY upon landing, they would still be wiped out by hungry predators within a month.

So, let's use MORE special pleading. Let's say that God made it so that the predators didn't need to eat the prey species for a full month.

Why stop? Why change it back?

If God can stop the needless death from animals killing animals AND if he actually stopped it for a month+ on the boat and several months to several years AFTERWARDS, why switch it back?

"Too many rabbits". Right? There would be too many rabbits if the wolves didn't kill them.

Well, certainly God has the ability to limit the number of rabbits produced. After all, he's tweeking everything else to fit this story.

Here's the thing.

It's a MYTH. You are supposed to take MEANING from it. You aren't supposed to treat it like a factual historical event.

When you try and apply logic to mythology the myth falls apart AND you lose all the meaning.

It's BAD THEOLOGY.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhmmm... Because it has not been excavated for fossils?
Really dude.
Creationism is dumb.
Since it is only 5-6 million years old , there wouldn't be any extremely old fossils and the oldest estimates put it at 17 million.
So we wont be finding dinos there anyway.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, DF.
Not sure. Their website says "It is illegal to dig up, relocate, and/or remove fossils from Grand Canyon National Park". But I'm guessing that this is directed at the general public.
Researching...
It would be that exactly , nothing unapproved without a USDA stamp. But you know if something of interest was found it would become like the topper site or the old Navaho sites.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad they made it through OK. Mucho family in Pennsylvania with only minor power outages and some trees down. My brother in northwest New Jersey is now 4 days without power. Bummer.
One friend of family from Jersey said 4 hour wait for gas and limited to 40$, power to three out of four house holds is out.
Radekt is from NYC said power was out at his house on Long Island and at work in Manhattan. So it is tough with no traffic lights working. It's pretty messed up in from parts of NC to Maine.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got 2 tigers, 2 lions, 2 leopards, 2 cheetahs, 2 grizzlies, 2 black bears, 2 wolves, 2 coyotes, 2 hyenas, 2 jackals, 2 mountain lions, 2 bobcats, 2 foxes, etc etc etc.

It's BAD THEOLOGY.
Not to mention that even if it was SEVEN (clean) pair of critters, they would likely not have the minimum viable population -- genetically speaking -- to avoid extinction as a species.

I brought this up on another thread here, yet to get a response.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Since it is only 5-6 million years old , there wouldn't be any extremely old fossils and the oldest estimates put it at 17 million.
So we wont be finding dinos there anyway.
Well I guess I didn't consider the strata for super extremely old . lol
No middle extremely old if that makes any sense...lmao.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

THE BAPTIST wrote:
<quoted text>You do not quite understand,that maybe god suspended thier natural instincts,for that forty days and nights.You might laugh at that,but that is most likely happenned.
Yeah, that is in the buybull.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Level 2

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mike
Class acts
I just bowed out of a thread on the Beatles forum about whether Thee Beatles are overrated. I was on the losing end of it. While I do love the Beatles, I have no illusions about their musicianship compared to any of the above bands. What put them on top and assured their place in rock history was their ability to write great pop songs and come up with interesting and, occasionally, original arrangements in the studio. Perhaps my perspective comes from having actually performed the music of most of the above bands as a bassist or guitarist and as a singer.

Man, do I with I could have been in the audiences at those concerts!
THE BAPTIST

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
I want you to stop and think for a second...
Let's say the flood happened.
Let's say that God created magic water that showed up from nowhere and then went away afterwards.
Let's say that Noah had a boat big enough to hold between 2-8 of every animal.
Let's say that he could GET all these animals (including ALL the dinosaurs, ALL the marsupials, ALL the reptiles, ALL the birds, ALL the beetles, ants, bees, etc etc etc)
Let's say that God magically made it so that none of the animals killed each other during the trip.
Let's say that Noah landed the boat and let all the animals off at Mt. Arat.
Let's say that as soon as that happened, ALL the Australian marsupials left together in one group and headed straight to Australia.
Let's say that ALL the lemurs got together and headed straight for Madagascar.
Let's say ALL of that happened.
Now, let's talk about the first WEEK after landing.
Rabbits reproduce fast, but they don't reproduce fast enough that they could supply food for EVERY predator.
MAYBE you could have one of the lions go a week without food, but the gestation period on a wildebest is a lot longer than a week.
EVEN IF all the prey animals gave birth IMMEDIATELY upon landing, they would still be wiped out by hungry predators within a month.
So, let's use MORE special pleading. Let's say that God made it so that the predators didn't need to eat the prey species for a full month.
Why stop? Why change it back?
If God can stop the needless death from animals killing animals AND if he actually stopped it for a month+ on the boat and several months to several years AFTERWARDS, why switch it back?
"Too many rabbits". Right? There would be too many rabbits if the wolves didn't kill them.
Well, certainly God has the ability to limit the number of rabbits produced. After all, he's tweeking everything else to fit this story.
Here's the thing.
It's a MYTH. You are supposed to take MEANING from it. You aren't supposed to treat it like a factual historical event.
When you try and apply logic to mythology the myth falls apart AND you lose all the meaning.
It's BAD THEOLOGY.
You had better read about the flood again.Noah,did not choose two of every kind to put on the ark.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Level 1

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

THE BAPTIST wrote:
<quoted text>You had better read about the flood again.Noah,did not choose two of every kind to put on the ark.
If the flood was real then the rain was landing on the decks of the ark at the rate of 150 tons per second. At that rate there would have about 4000 tons of standing water on the decks.

Level 1

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I just bowed out of a thread on the Beatles forum about whether Thee Beatles are overrated. I was on the losing end of it. While I do love the Beatles, I have no illusions about their musicianship compared to any of the above bands. What put them on top and assured their place in rock history was their ability to write great pop songs and come up with interesting and, occasionally, original arrangements in the studio. Perhaps my perspective comes from having actually performed the music of most of the above bands as a bassist or guitarist and as a singer.
Man, do I with I could have been in the audiences at those concerts!
I know you're a musician, which means you're in a far better position than me when it comes to judging musicianship.

My view (for what it's worth) is that most of the bands in that roll call of artists were better musicians than the Beatles.
However, the Beatles had that elusive "something else" that insured their status as trend-setters and cultural icons.

I see a similar thing with Led Zeppelin, who are practically deified by the music press. Sure, they were a fine band but there are a host of other bands from that era who weren't far off Led Zeppelin but are largely sneered at or completely neglected - Humble Pie and Ten Years After falling into that neglected category.

Level 1

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

THE BAPTIST wrote:
<quoted text>You had better read about the flood again.Noah,did not choose two of every kind to put on the ark.
Why was there a flood anyway?

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

Judged:

THE BAPTIST wrote:
Yeah, THAT'S the problem with the analysis, not the kangaroos getting to Australia, not the lions and tigers that don't eat anything for a year, not the dinosaurs, it's the "two of every animal" that's the issue.

Come on, it's a CHILDREN'S STORY and you are pretending like it's real.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, THAT'S the problem with the analysis, not the kangaroos getting to Australia, not the lions and tigers that don't eat anything for a year, not the dinosaurs, it's the "two of every animal" that's the issue.
Come on, it's a CHILDREN'S STORY and you are pretending like it's real.

By your reasoning since he believes its true , its true .
It doesn't matter what you think. Because for thousands of years people believed it was a true story. As a christian he thinks what
you believe is a Subjective truth is in fact a Objective truth.

Since he is a real christian , then the story is true.

This is your logic.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Level 1

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

THE BAPTIST wrote:
If not then where did all the other species of animals come from?

OH I see it had to be evolution of species. So you believe in evolution as well as “story” of the flood.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mike
Class acts
Morning,

Hawkwind??? Wow. I haven't heard that name is a long while. Saw most of those except for Tull and Rainbow/Blackmore. I think I still have a Rory Gallagher poster somewhere.

I saw Moody Blues once in Lakeland, Florida with a full orchestra. Very cool.(Actually have seen the band about five times).

Don't go to many concerts these days. Most of the bands are either past their prime or full of substitutions. And, as you said, the ticket prices are nuts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 4,001 - 4,020 of6,103
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
When Will Evolutionists Confess Their Atheistic... 26 min wondering 1,262
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 30 min Dogen 133,158
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 41 min Dogen 171,268
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr HMT 123 Observatory 111,977
Intelligent Design - Deist style (Dec '09) 3 hr Kong_ 52
Science News (Sep '13) Fri positronium 2,822
Ann Coulter: Idiot (Sep '11) Jul 10 DanFromSmithville 358
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••