Teach evolution as the fact it is

Jan 13, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

The opening salvo in the evolution wars was fired in Kentucky. In 1922, it was the first state to consider a law banning the teaching of evolution in the public schools.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Yes but if we only teach facts there would be no theory of evolution because that theory consists of SPECULATION

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Stefooch wrote:
Yes but if we only teach facts there would be no theory of evolution because that theory consists of SPECULATION
Steph, you are a guppy among a school of sharks. Get an education so you can at least argue against the Theory of Evolution with some valid points.

So far you've not presented any.

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Since: Dec 06

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Stefooch wrote:
Uh...scientific theories are comprised of explanations of known facts. Speculation isn't allowed.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Stefooch wrote:
The theory explains the fact.

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Stefooch wrote:
Speculation, really? Speculation that works, speculation that explained how hundreds and thousands of years of plant and animal breeding actually work. Speculation that ties together ALL the observed and inferred evidence gathered over hundreds and thousands of years. Sounds like damn good speculation to me.

You only argument against it isn't that it is speculation, but that it disagrees with your religious philosophies because, like all science, the actions of a capricious diety are not invoked in any way. You might examine your own motivations before throwing those tiny stones around.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Stefooch wrote:
Learn the difference between layperson definitions and scientific ones prior to continuing this, lest you make the exact same points that have already been addressed a million times over like all creatards.

“Maccullochella macquariensis”

Since: May 08

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Stefooch wrote:
Okay, let me see if I've got this right.

The ToE which is based upon thousands, no millions, of pieces of data, correlated and assembled into a cohesive whole and from that body of data (AKA facts) an explanation is developed that accounts for all those pieces of data and makes successful predictions about what further pieces of data might be uncovered. That is speculation?

On the other hand an ancient book of folk stories is not speculation? A book written by unnamed members of ancient tribes in the middle east who couldn't even count the number of legs on an insect and who thought goddidit with magic was a reasonable explanation for anything they did not understand? That book is a reliable source for scientific knowledge?

Bwaahahahaha!!!

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Teach critical thinking about every aspect of science.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
... says the paid Internet flack of the Koch Brothers whose job is to spread as much doubt and misinformation about global climate change on the Web as he can.

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
No, what we should teach is critical thinking, real critical thinking. And when anyone, be they a misguided science teacher or pulpit pounder try and introduce pseudo-scientific subjects as if they were actual science, the critical thinking would dismiss things like Creationism, Intelligent Design, Climate Change Denial, Tarot Cards, Feng Shui, and Astrology as the pseudo-science crap that they are.

Many of the groups who are claiming to be interested in Academic Freedom and teaching Critical Thinking are using these words to push a religious-based agenda that truely is the exact opposite of what Academic Freedom and Critical Thinking really are.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

TedHOhio wrote:
<quoted text>
No, what we should teach is critical thinking, real critical thinking. And when anyone, be they a misguided science teacher or pulpit pounder try and introduce pseudo-scientific subjects as if they were actual science, the critical thinking would dismiss things like Creationism, Intelligent Design, Climate Change Denial, Tarot Cards, Feng Shui, and Astrology as the pseudo-science crap that they are.
Many of the groups who are claiming to be interested in Academic Freedom and teaching Critical Thinking are using these words to push a religious-based agenda that truely is the exact opposite of what Academic Freedom and Critical Thinking really are.
That is often the way, using misinformation and even downright lies disguised as “creationist” science. I am currently in an argument with a creationist who gloats that science claims to have found “actual” dinosaur DNA. Then he goes into reams of posts about the half-life of DNA to justify his assertion that science lies. When the papers explaining exactly what was found are shown to him his argument seems to be… Nope he’s not lying about “actual” dino DNA it’s just that he can’t see (or understand) the papers. go figure.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
Critical thinking. One of the main reasons that "fundamentalist christian creationism" went from being the ONLY world view allowed in most of the Western world (often tyrannically and brutally enforced through imprisonment, torture, death and genocide) to being laughed at by pretty much the entire world outside of the YEC [young Earth creationism] cult.

If your intention is to include "creationism" or any other unsupported pseudo-science in science class as an example of what people UNABLE to use critical thinking skills think, then great.

If you intend to include "creationism" or any other unsupported pseudo-science in science class as part of the curricula, then expect your graduates to get laughed at by pretty much the entire world outside of the United States (and certain radical fundamentalist muslim countries).
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Stefooch wrote:
This would be a LIE!

Why do you "fundamentalist christian creationists" LIE so much? Isn't LYING a sin in your religion? I know I saw a commandment about it somewhere.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
This from the man who claims that since plants need CO2, the more CO2 the better!

Perhaps you should be the first to attend the classes.

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Gillette wrote:
... says the paid Internet flack of the Koch Brothers whose job is to spread as much doubt and misinformation about global climate change on the Web as he can.
I've got to make a living...

At least I have a job.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've got to make a living...
At least I have a job.
No job is always better than a dishonest job, loser.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
At least I have a job.
So how did you spirit the acid rain away?

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Stefooch wrote:
Ah, so this is your hideout.
As conspicous as a painted prey-animal.
The one you paint is sure to be lions-food the next day.

You started so late in life, with so much excess bagage that you would first have to unlearn.
Otherwise your programming will get in the way of learning.
You cannot focus when you are distracted.
Preconceptions are just as much a destraction as whatever turns you on suddenly popping up in front of you.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
At least I have a job.
Car thieves, meth lab technicians and hit men have jobs as well. In the long run yours might be the more egregious.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
At least I have a job.
Our children and our children's children will curse you and your ilk forever for what you will have done to their planet.

But you'll be long gone and won't care, right? Good for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 49 min DanFromSmithville 127,185
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 1 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 13,494
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 2 hr Dogen 168,583
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 hr The Dude 106,046
Kevin Wingate: ID should be included in science... Apr 17 llDayo 5
Science News (Sep '13) Apr 17 Ricky F 2,671
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) Apr 16 MikeF 1,236
•••
•••
•••
•••