Who is the BEST debater for the evolution side of the argument?

Posted in the Evolution Debate Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

Kearney, NE

#1 Nov 14, 2013
I am promoting a Creation vs. Evolution debate this upcoming April (2014) and need a strong, credentialed debator to represent the evolution side of the argument.

Any help would be appreciated.
nunyabiz

Tampa, FL

#2 Nov 14, 2013
Ray comfort. Kent hovind is great but i think hes still in jail
Mike

Kearney, NE

#3 Nov 14, 2013
Nuny,
Thank you but I have the creationist side confirmed already. I am looking for the "Best" evolutionist (must be a PHd.)to make it the best event possible for everybody concerned.
ie. Michael Schermer

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#4 Nov 14, 2013
Mike, when a "Creationist" tries to talk about *SCIENTIFIC* evidence of Creation to a knowledgeable, sophisticated audience, that Creationist unwittingly *IS* the best representative for our side.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#5 Nov 14, 2013
Just out of curiosity, who IS your Creationist debater?

In Nebraska, you can start here:

http://www.theclergyletterproject.org/Resourc...

and search by state.
Mike

Kearney, NE

#6 Nov 14, 2013
Kong,
Thank you so much. I am promoting a debate and am hoping to bring to it "The Best" the skeptic side has to offer.
ie. Richard Dawkins, Michael shermer.....

The last thing I would want is for undecided audience members to think of the event as "rigged" because the skeptic side was under represented. I am looking for the names of the Skeptic "Biggest Guns".
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#7 Nov 14, 2013
Most of them won't bother because these events are heavily promoted in fundamentalist Christian churches and attended mostly by Christians who are there to hoot and holler for the Jesus side and not really to listen and learn.

Also, the scientist is subjected to a dishonest technique called the "Gish Gallop." You know what that is right?:)

In other words, there is NO ADVANTAGE to a qualified scientist to waste his time on an event like this.

It's strictly of propaganda value to conservative Christians, who can claim that "Look, there really IS a controversial debate about evolution in science today," when in fact the "controversy" is confined almost exclusively to some fundamentalist Christian church groups.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#8 Nov 14, 2013
Mike wrote:
Kong,
The last thing I would want is for undecided audience members to think of the event as "rigged" because the skeptic side was under represented. I am looking for the names of the Skeptic "Biggest Guns".
And by the way the "skeptics" here are the fundamentalist Christian Creationists. You understand that, right?:)

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#9 Nov 14, 2013
I saw a debate with Michael Behe, and though he lost he did not do too bad. Of course he is not a creationist. He openly admits the he believes in common descent. He believes that God had to have a hand in evolution.

Of course beggars cannot be choosers. As far as any debaters that can support the Ussher version of creation, there are none.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#10 Nov 14, 2013
Oh, my bad. You want someone to represent evolution. I thought you were looking for a creationist.

If you could get Michael Shermer he is an excellent pro evolution debater. So is Eugenie Scott. They might demand a heavily moderated debate since creationists are known to lie and cheat. The Gish Gallop was already mentioned.

Put it this way, would you go into a debate where you had to tell the truth and the other side was allowed to cheat?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#11 Nov 14, 2013
One person you could use would be Francis Collins. He is a biologist that headed the Human Genome Project. He has written that creationism and intelligent design are not valid scientific theories. But he is also an evangelical Christian.

The good thing about this choice is that he has the scientific credentials to back up his statements about evolution, but is also a deeply religious person, which shows that it is NOT a matter of a debate between science and religion.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#12 Nov 14, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
One person you could use would be Francis Collins. He is a biologist that headed the Human Genome Project. He has written that creationism and intelligent design are not valid scientific theories. But he is also an evangelical Christian.
The good thing about this choice is that he has the scientific credentials to back up his statements about evolution, but is also a deeply religious person, which shows that it is NOT a matter of a debate between science and religion.
Very good choice. And I must give myself a huge dope slap for forgetting Kenneth Miller. He was huge in the Dover trial and is a Roman Catholic. Another Christian that knows you do not have to lie for Jesus.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#13 Nov 14, 2013
Mike wrote:
Who is the BEST debater for the evolution side of the argument?
Peer-reviewed scientific papers on biology:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Note that all support evolution and none creationism.
Mike wrote:
I am promoting a Creation vs. Evolution debate this upcoming April (2014) and need a strong, credentialed debator to represent the evolution side of the argument.
Any help would be appreciated.
I doubt any of them would have the time. But bear in mind that your little forum would be just as irrelevant as this one. There is no scientific debate and never has been. All the REAL debate takes place in the scientific arena, and the only debate is over how evolution occurred. Not whether or not it did occur and not whether or not magic Jews were necessary. That's because so far not one person on the entire planet has managed to come up with a scientific alternative to evolution for over 150 years.

That's just the way it is.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#14 Nov 14, 2013
Mike wrote:
Kong,
Thank you so much. I am promoting a debate and am hoping to bring to it "The Best" the skeptic side has to offer.
And again, not to put a further downer on your efforts, but for reasons already mentioned, such a public "debate" is largely pointless. If it's about evolution vs creationism then creationism already lost that debate centuries ago, and to present it today as equal to science is a gross misrepresentation, which is why those like Dawkins don't like to participate in these things as it gives the false impression that both sides have legitimacy. A valid point, contrary to the jeering of creationists. This is why I find it curious that you are looking for an evolutionary biologist in particular.

However if it was merely theism vs atheism then I could understand it, as at least then one could make the case that it's one philosophical viewpoint as opposed to another. Presenting it in this manner does not mislead the audience about the validity of science and can be seen as far less divisive than the stereotype "creationist believer" vs the "atheist evolutionist". As people have pointed out there are plenty of theists, some scientists, who believe in God and also have no problem in accepting the fact of evolution.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#15 Nov 14, 2013
is this debate to be held in Kearney?

i was stranded there in a blizzard for three days . whoever you pick should be able to speak in very short sentences and be prepared to have things hurled at him if he speaks the truth about religion...just sayin'...
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#16 Nov 14, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
i was stranded there in a blizzard for three days . whoever you pick should be able to speak in very short sentences and be prepared to have things hurled at him if he speaks the truth about religion...just sayin'...
It sounds a bit like his Christian church is planning a bear-baiting and casting about for a suitable bear! LOL

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#17 Nov 14, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
lol
Wouldn't you end up having a debate on oversimplified science!
Unless they were also stranded for three days.

Advice: Hold the debate in the blizzard season.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#18 Nov 14, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds a bit like his Christian church is planning a bear-baiting and casting about for a suitable bear! LOL
trust me, the bear would win, get them all to change their cell service over to T-Mobile and have them mail him their ATM PIN numbers written on the back of the deeds to their land...

and then get them to drive him to the airport.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#19 Nov 14, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.examiner.com/article/creation-pers...
It seems creationist only join debates in order to evangelize/proselize.
The new outreach to the unbeliever.

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Huntington Beach, CA

#20 Nov 15, 2013
Mike wrote:
Kong,
There is a reason that Creationism always loses in court but tends to do well in "public debates".

It's because in court there are rules and consequences for breaking them.

Creationists in public debates rely on the audience's ignorance and the fact that raising a question takes a lot longer than answering a question.

A creationist can make 20 false claims in a few minutes.

"The fossil record doesn't show anything from 100 million years ago."

Now, if the scientist doesn't have a slide of fossils from 100 million years ago in his hand, it's his word against the Creationists who can always say:

"You can't know that's from 100 million years ago".

Now the scientist has to spend 10-15 minutes explaining radioactivity and decay.

Yet, if the scientist says, "Bedtime stories are not real", the Creationist just calls him an atheist and folds his arms.

That's not debate.

That's dimwitted ignorance spouting rhetoric at someone with an education and then refusing to listen to a response.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 46 min Chimney1 1,339
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 50 min Chimney1 160,869
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr kenedy njoroge 141,279
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr thertruth 18,673
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 3 hr GTID62 13,669
No Place For ID? 3 hr GTID62 1
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) Fri hpcaban 178,585
More from around the web