Freshwater: Ohio Supreme Court accept...

Freshwater: Ohio Supreme Court accepts F'water's appeal on two Propositions of Law

There are 6 comments on the The Panda's Thumb story from Jul 5, 2012, titled Freshwater: Ohio Supreme Court accepts F'water's appeal on two Propositions of Law. In it, The Panda's Thumb reports that:

The Ohio Supreme Court has accepted John Freshwater's appeal of his termination as a middle school science teacher in the Mt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Panda's Thumb.

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#1 Jul 6, 2012
In my opinion the Ohio Supreme COurt should have not bothered with this case. I believe the school board clearly deliniated what materials were permissible and what were not. I think their direction concerning Intelligent Design was clear as day and Freshwater took it upon himself to ignore it.

On the second point I do not believe his firing was upheld simply due to religious material a posters. I think a great deal went into the decision including his burning of kids arms with crosses, his lying to investigators, his request that his students lie for him, AND his blantant disregard for school policy. Add in the fact that his students had to be retaught basic science in later grades adds up to a failure to me. He should have been fired years before he was.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#2 Jul 6, 2012
One has to wonder what the Ohio Supreme Court's intentions are here. Are they giving Freshwater a reprieve or do they intend to use the case as an opportunity to slam the door on any future, similar cases?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#3 Jul 7, 2012
Freshwater keeps trying to make the case that his firing was only about having a Bible on his desk. He ignores completely having religious posters in his classroom, and more importantly ignores the physical abuse he did to his students.

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#4 Jul 11, 2012
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Freshwater keeps trying to make the case that his firing was only about having a Bible on his desk. He ignores completely having religious posters in his classroom, and more importantly ignores the physical abuse he did to his students.
I think his lying to investigators and then encouraging his students to lie for him should be reason enough to kick him out!
Chiefnoseeum

United States

#5 Aug 23, 2012
Shame on you ignorant people. That are so anxious to condemn, prejudge, and lie. America is losing our connection to God, other teachers had Bibles and posters. Many kids had that experiment done with no reaction, maybe the metal in hockey equipment irritated it. He had years of teaching successfully records come up missing, only found late in the trial with the burden placed on him to go through document and record .this railroad job could happen to any of us. I hope it happens to some of you filled with venom. As you cheer the morals and values that made America great go down the toilet, may you get what you deserve.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6 Aug 24, 2012
Chiefnoseeum wrote:
Shame on you ignorant people. That are so anxious to condemn, prejudge, and lie.
Yes, shame on Freshwater for being an ignorant liar.
Chiefnoseeum wrote:
America is losing our connection to God
How was that determined in an objectively verifiable manner? This might surprise many Americans, as the vast majority of them are theists, predominantly some variation of Christianity.
Chiefnoseeum wrote:
other teachers had Bibles and posters.
They did? What were their names and which classes?
Chiefnoseeum wrote:
Many kids had that experiment done with no reaction, maybe the metal in hockey equipment irritated it.
In which case he should have stopped as soon as the first one had a reaction. But there were multiple students who suffered marks. In other words you are saying he was negligent to child safety instead of deliberately marking them for religious reasons.
Chiefnoseeum wrote:
He had years of teaching successfully records come up missing, only found late in the trial with the burden placed on him to go through document and record .this railroad job could happen to any of us.
Which is irrelevant to the fact he had materials in there he shouldn't have which he used for "teaching science", despite the fact they were actually non-scientific religious apologetics.

And I'm not even referring to the Bible here, whose open display alone in a public school science class is a violation of the First Amendment of the US Constitution, which Freshwater should have been aware of. Students are free to have their own Bible's or other religious books if they so wish which they can read during non-studying hours. But an agent of the Government (which is what a public school teacher is as public schools receive Government funding) is not allowed to show preference to any one religion over another, and ESPECIALLY not allowed to influence other people's children in such a manner.
Chiefnoseeum wrote:
I hope it happens to some of you filled with venom.
Wow, that was quite a venomous sentence!
Chiefnoseeum wrote:
As you cheer the morals and values that made America great go down the toilet, may you get what you deserve.
Then you should be a moral person and condemn Freshwater's attempt to infringe on the rights to religious freedom of his students. America was founded upon the principles of freedom and self-determination, and Freshwater tried many times over many years to trample all over that. And then lied in court to cover himself up. His actions were appalling to say the least.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 52 min Eagle 12 18,514
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr One way or another 204,830
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr scientia potentia... 43,188
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr scientia potentia... 151,478
Sun could not have formed as thought 5 hr U think Im wrong 19
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 22 hr It aint necessari... 912
Current Education And Its Huge Flaws Aug 22 Bren 1
More from around the web