Can the universe be God's brain?

Posted in the Evolution Debate Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

Austin, TX

#1 Jun 4, 2007
Is it possible that the universe is God's brain, and that we are simply tiny parts of that brain?

Our consciousness is the result of electrical impulses in a neuro-network in our brain; simply atoms formed into this super bio-computer.

Now since all the elements that form our brain are already in the universe in the form of energy, doesn't it make sense that the universe is capable of being conscious itself?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Level 2

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2 Jun 8, 2007
No more likely than the Earth being a giant supercomputer, designed by white mice, in order to discover the Ultimate Question.

We already know the answer, of course: 42

Fresno, CA

#3 Jun 8, 2007
Ajaxspank wrote:
Is it possible that the universe is God's brain, and that we are simply tiny parts of that brain?
Nah, I'm pretty sure God's brain is smaller than a quark.

Austin, TX

#4 Jun 8, 2007
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
No more likely than the Earth being a giant supercomputer, designed by white mice, in order to discover the Ultimate Question.
We already know the answer, of course: 42
I've always wondered how many roads a man must walk down.
Skeptic

UK

#5 Jun 8, 2007
Sounds about right - the most intelligent being the universe has mostly vacuum for brains.

“Hello homo sapiens sapiens.”

Level 1

A galaxy near you.

#6 Jun 20, 2007
These threads just keep getting curiouser and curiouser, I seem to be falling, falling.......
REEDB

Orlando, FL

#7 Oct 2, 2007
I think it's quite possible. It's very difficult to comprehend how huge the universe is. As far as we can see there are billions of galaxies. Imagine each galaxy or even each star a "nueron in gods brain". The human brain has about 100 billion. Imagine all the stars and galaxies combined. Trillions times trillions time trillions of nuerons in the form of stars and galaxies.
How would information travel from "nueron to nueron" then. You might think light? I don't think so since the information would take to long to get where it needs to go. I think quantum physics shows that some particles can travel in an instant from one location to another(there's a good article in scientific america/august 2007 about quantum oddities).I believe the amount of information is so vast and complex that this is how God causes what people who have no faith call "coincindences". I believe God is a scientific god, all the "laws" of the universe have been created perfectly, and we have done fairly good at interpreting them with mathmatics. I believe someday we will be able to understand the nature of God and how he communicates with us and how we communicate with God. The universe seems to be created for discovery, why else would it exist?

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#8 Oct 2, 2007
REEDB wrote:
I think it's quite possible. It's very difficult to comprehend how huge the universe is. As far as we can see there are billions of galaxies. Imagine each galaxy or even each star a "nueron in gods brain". The human brain has about 100 billion. Imagine all the stars and galaxies combined. Trillions times trillions time trillions of nuerons in the form of stars and galaxies.
How would information travel from "nueron to nueron" then. You might think light? I don't think so since the information would take to long to get where it needs to go. I think quantum physics shows that some particles can travel in an instant from one location to another(there's a good article in scientific america/august 2007 about quantum oddities).I believe the amount of information is so vast and complex that this is how God causes what people who have no faith call "coincindences". I believe God is a scientific god, all the "laws" of the universe have been created perfectly, and we have done fairly good at interpreting them with mathmatics. I believe someday we will be able to understand the nature of God and how he communicates with us and how we communicate with God. The universe seems to be created for discovery, why else would it exist?
If the universe IS god, then what does that make US?

An uber-microscopic virus? Or worse?
REEDB

Scottsmoor, FL

#9 Oct 3, 2007
I think maybe every bit of matter in the universe is God, so that makes us part of God's mind. We are a tiny part of the universe, seemingly insignificant but I believe we are very special. Being able to ponder questions like this proves that we are an incredible creation! I'm not sure exactly what happens when we die. I don't know how we will retain any of our memories if our brain is dead. I have a feeling somehow our awareness will continue...I hope so.
REEDB

Scottsmoor, FL

#10 Oct 3, 2007
I forgot to add. Don't forget to bring a towel wherever you go!

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11 Oct 3, 2007
REEDB wrote:
I forgot to add. Don't forget to bring a towel wherever you go!
Never leave the planet without it.

Oh, and by the way-- the answer's 42

What was the question?

“I provide you nutrients!”

Since: Sep 07

Dallas, TX

#12 Oct 3, 2007
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
If the universe IS god, then what does that make US?
An uber-microscopic virus? Or worse?
Haha, that part made me laugh.

“I provide you nutrients!”

Since: Sep 07

Dallas, TX

#13 Oct 3, 2007
God's brain? nah. God is supposed to be a spirit.(A powerful spirit I guess.) So he has no brain. But he has a conscience. Hmm, It seems that if you break down conscience, it make con-science... INTERESTING... Well whatever... I don't believe that the brain holds the conscience. I think it's the soul, or spirit or whatever. But if the conscience IS a part of the brain, wouldn't that make us just a tiny molecule?(Use whatever word you want, I like molecule)

“blow it out your bagpipes”

Salford, Manchester UK

#14 Oct 3, 2007
Ultimately, it is a matter of perspective, is it not?

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Lebanon, PA

#15 Oct 4, 2007
Er, the universe doesn't make any decisions and desplays no consciousness. How could it be considered a brain? I'm confuzzled. And for all we know, a brain might be unique to our planet alone. There may be a more common way of biological creatures elsewhere to have sentience.

“Transitional Molecular Fossils”

Somewhere in Penn's Woods

#16 Oct 4, 2007
Is this thread related to The Big Giant Head on "Third Rock From the Sun"?

#17 Oct 4, 2007
Remember when Dick found out that he was "The Big Giant Head's" son?

He said:

"OH NO, THAT MEANS I'M DICK HEAD"

And on that note, Elvis has left the building.

“Hello homo sapiens sapiens.”

Level 1

A galaxy near you.

#18 Oct 7, 2007
Katydid wrote:
Remember when Dick found out that he was "The Big Giant Head's" son?
He said:
"OH NO, THAT MEANS I'M DICK HEAD"
And on that note, Elvis has left the building.
No, Elvis is not dead, he just went home.
supersport

Fort Worth, TX

#19 Oct 7, 2007
Ajaxspank wrote:
Our consciousness is the result of electrical impulses in a neuro-network in our brain; simply atoms formed into this super bio-computer.
Now since all the elements that form our brain are already in the universe in the form of energy, doesn't it make sense that the universe is capable of being conscious itself?
Discuss amongst yourselves.
Change the word "brain" to "mind" and you've got a very provocative idea in my opinion. The old song "He's got the whole world in His hands" may be closer to the truth than we knew -- except instead of living in His hands, we are living in His mind. This would explain how it is how everything seems to know what to do. Spiders know to spin webs, giraffes seem to know to run from lions and not zebras, molecules seem to know how to act and interact with each other, bacteria seem to know how to share their rescources, all the chemical and electrical firings seem to know how work in the brain... etc etc etc....everything knows its place, everything knows its role, everything knows how to accomplish their mission. Humans of course, have free will, but that is so we have free will to love God. If we were hardwired or forced to love God as spiders are hardwired to spin webs then it wouldn't be real love, now would it.....

Good post...nice idea

#20 Oct 7, 2007
DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Elvis is not dead, he just went home.
I think he moved to Pennsylvania. Just last week I could have sworn I saw him in the supermarket. He was perusing the selection of peanut butters. He also had several bunches of bananas in his cart, a jar of marshmallow cream and oddly enough, a gallon-sized container of prune juice.

:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min The Northener 51,394
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 9 min It aint necessari... 157,370
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 38 min Into The Night 24,645
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr Regolith Based Li... 218,719
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 5 hr ChromiuMan 1,117
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 10 hr Dogen 460
How did reproduction start for any living thing? 10 hr Dogen 90
More from around the web