The mysteries of evolution.
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Don't base what is best”

Level 1

Since: Aug 13

off of personal issues

#1 Oct 29, 2013
Of all the species that have evolved from at one point in history from the same organism. Why are humans the chosen species, the only species that has advanced to not live like animals? After all we are animals and we are the youngest children of evolution so to speak.

Humans are, without doubt the chosen and only species to not live like animals because we are God's children and he wanted better for us. He gave us the knowledge to become more advanced than animals, to live better than animals and to be the ruler over animals. If not for the knowledge God gave humans, we would fall victim to just about any other species and become extinct.

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#2 Oct 29, 2013
spirit warrior wrote:
Of all the species that have evolved from at one point in history from the same organism. Why are humans the chosen species, the only species that has advanced to not live like animals? After all we are animals and we are the youngest children of evolution so to speak.
Humans are, without doubt the chosen and only species to not live like animals because we are God's children and he wanted better for us. He gave us the knowledge to become more advanced than animals, to live better than animals and to be the ruler over animals. If not for the knowledge God gave humans, we would fall victim to just about any other species and become extinct.
It is because of our clean close shaves, rugged good looks, and love of fine wines. I love the Animals. The House of the Rising Sun and We Gotta Get Outta This Place are awesome tunes. I don't think we would fall victim to turtles, or canaries, or dormice, or hag fish. But opossums, I don't trust em. Always grinning like they no something.

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Since: Dec 06

Lebanon, PA

#3 Oct 30, 2013
spirit warrior wrote:
Of all the species that have evolved from at one point in history from the same organism. Why are humans the chosen species, the only species that has advanced to not live like animals? After all we are animals and we are the youngest children of evolution so to speak.
Humans are, without doubt the chosen and only species to not live like animals because we are God's children and he wanted better for us. He gave us the knowledge to become more advanced than animals, to live better than animals and to be the ruler over animals. If not for the knowledge God gave humans, we would fall victim to just about any other species and become extinct.
God didn't give humans this knowledge, according to Genesis. We stole it. And who says we live better than animals? Last I checked our pets don't clean up after themselves and wild animals can nap during the day instead of slaving away at work or paying bills.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#4 Oct 30, 2013
llDayo wrote:
<quoted text>
God didn't give humans this knowledge, according to Genesis. We stole it. And who says we live better than animals? Last I checked our pets don't clean up after themselves and wild animals can nap during the day instead of slaving away at work or paying bills.
Oh, to be a cat...

“Don't base what is best”

Level 1

Since: Aug 13

off of personal issues

#5 Oct 30, 2013
The problem is that you all think the Bible should either be 100% right or it is 100% wrong. The Bible was written over 2500 years ago. It has not been re-written because the people that knew or had the experiences have all passed.

I challenge any of you people to go get a 150 year old science book and see how many mistakes are in it. It will be full of mistakes and is only 150 years old. The difference is that the science books have been re-written whereas the Bible has not.

One would reason to think that since science books are corrected in short periods of years that the Bible, if not thought of as truth, would have been re-written or changed over the multi-hundreds of years that it took to write it.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#6 Oct 30, 2013
spirit warrior wrote:
The problem is that you all think the Bible should either be 100% right or it is 100% wrong. The Bible was written over 2500 years ago. It has not been re-written because the people that knew or had the experiences have all passed.
I challenge any of you people to go get a 150 year old science book and see how many mistakes are in it. It will be full of mistakes and is only 150 years old. The difference is that the science books have been re-written whereas the Bible has not.
One would reason to think that since science books are corrected in short periods of years that the Bible, if not thought of as truth, would have been re-written or changed over the multi-hundreds of years that it took to write it.
What's your point?

Of course we know that the 'science' of 150 years ago would be laughable. Which is why we CONTINUE TO CORRECT IT.

As opposed to Biblical literalism where 'every word of the Bible is true and infallible'.

On an even more extreme example, see this guy?

"Marc Grizzard, the pastor of Amazing Grace Baptist Church in Canton, North Carolina, says that he and his congregation plan to burn Bibles on Halloween. Marc Grizzard, of Amazing Grace Baptist Church in Canton, North Carolina, says that the first King James translation of the Bible is the only true declaration of God’s word, and that all others are “satanic”. Pastor Grizzard and 14 other members of the church plan to burn copies of the other “perversions” of Scripture on Halloween, 31 October. The New Revised Version Bible, the American Standard Version Bible, and even the New King James Version are all pronounced to be works of the Devil by Pastor Grizzard and his followers."

http://endtimeheadlines.wordpress.com/2013/10...

Or This guy?

"E.W. Jackson, the Virginia GOP candidate for lieutenant governor, suggested that yoga could open individuals to Satan, according to a report."

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/ew-jack...

Most persons of faith are quite normal. But there's a few Christians (and those of other faiths) that are stone-cold NUTS.

......and we have a few on these threads.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#7 Oct 30, 2013
spirit warrior wrote:
The problem is that you all think the Bible should either be 100% right or it is 100% wrong. The Bible was written over 2500 years ago. It has not been re-written because the people that knew or had the experiences have all passed.
I challenge any of you people to go get a 150 year old science book and see how many mistakes are in it. It will be full of mistakes and is only 150 years old.
Yep. Like On The Origin Of Species.

Except that it's main premise is still correct and is unlikely to change.

Or Newton's gravity.

Even 300 years later we were still using it to send probes to other planets.

So while the Bible was completely and utterly wrong in many places, and much of the rest of it (all the magic bits) are still unscientific nonsense with little real-world value other than making some people feel better about death, it's NEVER been a good science book.
spirit warrior wrote:
The difference is that the science books have been re-written whereas the Bible has not.
Actually it has. It's been translated and re-translated, translated back again then translated some more. And even long after we figured out the world was not flat the English KJV version still says that the Earth is a flat square circle at the center of a geocentric universe. Less than two centuries later the Bible was subject to Higher Criticism, where Christian priests basically looked at what they knew from history to see how much fit with the Bible. Which was apparently not too much. Further translations such as the NIV (or other sects) have changed it very little, and now today in the 21st century it's usefulness as a science book is... well, just not.

And now we have lots of large rich religious groups living in a modern society and telling us the Bible is literally true except when it isn't. So when it says the Earth is flat and geocentric it's really saying something completely opposite because we're not reading the proper metaphors into it, which of course every Christian sect agrees to, except that they don't. But either way the Bible is true because the Bible sez so. Just listen to the proper preachers otherwise we're all going to hell in a handbasket.

Or we could point out that (popularity aside) it's about as relevant today as the Egyptian Book Of The Dead.

“Don't base what is best”

Level 1

Since: Aug 13

off of personal issues

#8 Oct 30, 2013
The old flat earth argument. That is classical of non believers.

Here are two related Bible verses that were written more than 2000 years ago that says the earth is round and hangs in space.

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth..." (Isaiah 40:22, NIV).(the Hebrew language at that time did not have a word for "sphere," only for "circle.").

"He spreads out the northern [skies] over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing" (Job 26:7, NIV).

A verse where God wants us to learn and be advanced.

Romans 12:2

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#9 Oct 30, 2013
spirit warrior wrote:
The old flat earth argument. That is classical of non believers.
Here are two related Bible verses that were written more than 2000 years ago that says the earth is round and hangs in space.
Ah yes, the old round Earth argument.

I uh, DID say that the Bible said the Earth was round.

And flat.

Precisely because it contradicts itself.

Plus there are a number of passages which ONLY make sense if the Earth is flat and/or geocentric, such as making the sun stop in the sky for some more righteous religious slaughtering, or Jesus observing every kingdom in the world from the top of a mountain.

At which point all the so-called "literalists" tell us the Bible doesn't mean what it says it means, but actually means something else instead because it's all supposed to be metaphorical BS anyway.

And that's fine.

It means we all agree that it's not a very good science book.
spirit warrior wrote:
A verse where God wants us to learn and be advanced.
Even though Genesis itself contradicts that, as he wanted humans to remain ignorant. So much so he flicked them out of the garden after they gained knowledge. In fact all the way through the Bible it's all about taking the Bible UNcritically. Criticism of everything else, sure. But not God. Knowledge is bad. And this credo has been embraced wholeheartedly by the creationist movement.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#10 Oct 30, 2013
spirit warrior wrote:
The problem is that you all think the Bible should either be 100% right or it is 100% wrong. The Bible was written over 2500 years ago. It has not been re-written because the people that knew or had the experiences have all passed.
I challenge any of you people to go get a 150 year old science book and see how many mistakes are in it. It will be full of mistakes and is only 150 years old. The difference is that the science books have been re-written whereas the Bible has not.
One would reason to think that since science books are corrected in short periods of years that the Bible, if not thought of as truth, would have been re-written or changed over the multi-hundreds of years that it took to write it.
no, you see we KNOW it is not right. it is no different than any other cult's stories about their god or gods.

and since we know it is not correct, as you agree, the god created therein isn't correct. just a fabrication of this particular religious cult.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#11 Oct 30, 2013
spirit warrior wrote:
The old flat earth argument. That is classical of non believers.
Read your own Bible.

The Bible’s flat earth/solid sky dome universe
http://www.goatstar.org/the-bibles-flat-earth...

Excerpts:

>>>>>The Bible’s flat earth

In the Bible the earth is a round flat object with ends and which is immovable and set on pillars.

Here God is imagined to draw a circle on the face of the waters to make the earth.

(Prov 8:26-27 NRSV) when he had not yet made earth and fields, or the world’s first bits of soil. When he established the heavens, I was there, when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,

A circle is of course a flat round object. Some would say that the ancient Hebrews had no word for sphere so they used circle ("chug"), but that is not true. There is a Hebrew word for ball used in the bible ("dur"). A flat round earth was intuitive to these primitive people. If you picture yourself in their place, it would not be too hard to imagine the earth as being round and flat as you turn around to trace the outline of the horizon where the sky seems to meet the earth.

Here God is imagined to sit above the circle of the earth looking down on it’s inhabitants who are small like grasshoppers.

(Isa 40:22 NRSV) It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to live in;

Again a circle is a flat two dimensional object and there was a Hebrew word for ball which would have been more appropriate if the author would have been aware of the earth’s spherical nature.

Here the author of Daniel writes of a dream of Nebuchadnezzar where a tree grows at the "center" of the earth. Assuming that the tree grew on the surface, this is most certainly the center of a flat earth as a spherical earth would have no center on it’s surface. Also notice that the tree grew so tall it’s top reached heaven and was visible to the "ends of the earth". So these verses indicate that Nebuchadnezzar and the author of Daniel pictured a flat earth as everyone else did in their time.

(Dan 4:10-11 NRSV) Upon my bed this is what I saw; there was a tree at the center of the earth, and its height was great. The tree grew great and strong, its top reached to heaven, and it was visible to the ends of the whole earth.

Here it is possible that this gospel author still imagined a flat earth as Jesus is able to see all the kingdoms of the world from a high mountain. This would not be possible on a spherical earth.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#12 Oct 30, 2013
(Mat 4:8 NRSV) Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor;

Here the author of Job imagines that God could take the edges of the earth and shake the wicked out of it.

(Job 38:13 NIV) that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it?

Here the author of Job is saying something is longer than the earth. A flat earth with ends could be compared for length, but longer has no meaning for a spherical earth.

(Job 11:9 NRSV) Its measure is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.

One end of a flat earth to the other end of a flat earth is mentioned here (a spherical earth had no ends).

(Deu 13:7 NRSV) any of the gods of the peoples that are around you, whether near you or far away from you, from one end of the earth to the other,

Again, some would say that the ends of the earth is not be taken literally and that would be true today, but the phrase is leftover from when people used to really believe the earth had ends, which was the case for the ancient Hebrews and most everyone else at that time.

Here is a few more verses that mention the ends of the earth

Deu 28:49, Deu 28:64, Deu 33:17, 1 Sam 2:10, Job 1:7, Job 28:24, Job 37:3, Psa 2:8, Psa 19:4, Psa 22:27, Psa 33:13, Psa 33:14, Psa 48:10, Psa 59:13, Psa 61:2, Psa 65:5, Psa 72:8

>>>>The Bible’s immovable earth set on pillars

Here the earth is imagined to be set on pillars and immovable.

(Psa 93:1 NRSV)… He has established the world; it shall never be moved;

(1 Sam 2:8 NRSV) For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s, and on them he has set the world.

(Isa 24:18 NRSV) or the windows of heaven are opened, and the foundations of the earth tremble.

>>>>>The Bible’s solid sky dome

Here God is imagined to create a solid sky dome that separates the waters into two parts.
One would become the oceans and the other would remain above the solid sky dome to provide an explanation of where water came from to cause clouds and rain in the absence of the knowledge of evaporation.

(Gen 1:6-7 NRSV) And God said, "Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters."

So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome. And it was so.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#13 Oct 30, 2013
Here is another verse which mentions the water above the sky dome.

(Psa 148:4 NRSV) Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!

Here celestial bodies are attached to this sky dome.

(Gen 1:14-17 NRSV) And God said, "Let there be lights in the dome of the sky to separate the day from the night; and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years, and let them be lights in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth." And it was so. God made the two great lights–the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night–and the stars.
God set them in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth,

Notice that the lights, the Sun, the Moon, and the stars are set inside the sky dome.

Here it is mentioned that the sky dome is hard.

(Job 37:18 NRSV) Can you, like him, spread out the skies, hard as a molten mirror?

(Prov 8:28 NRSV) when he made firm the skies above,…

God is imagined to walk on top of the sky dome.

(Job 22:14 NRSV) Thick clouds enwrap him, so that he does not see, and he walks on the dome of heaven.’

The sky is imagined as something that has to open to let things pass through it

Here notice that heaven has to be "opened" for things to pass through, things in and above heaven to be seen, and for rainwater to come through. One would think that would not be necessary unless the sky was imagined to be solid. Some would say that this was not be taken literally, but the sky was imagined to be solid in most cultures for over 1500 years after the last books of the bible were written.

(John 1:51 NRSV) And he said to him, "Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man."

(Acts 10:11 NRSV) He saw the heaven opened and something like a large sheet coming down, being lowered to the ground by its four corners.

(Acts 7:56 NRSV) "Look," he said, "I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!"

(Mat 3:16-17 NRSV) And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased."

(2 Chr 6:26 NRSV) "When heaven (same Hebrew word as sky) is shut up and there is no rain because…

(Psa 78:23 NRSV) Yet he commanded the skies above, and opened the doors of heaven (same Hebrew word as sky);

(Mal 3:10 NRSV) Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house, and thus put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts; see if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you an overflowing blessing.(talking about rain for crops)

(Rev 11:6 NRSV) They have authority to shut the sky, so that no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying,

(Gen 7:11-12 NRSV) In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened. The rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#14 Oct 30, 2013
>>>Joshua commands the Sun to stand still in the sky

Here Joshua was imagined to have commanded the Sun and the Moon to stand still over particular geographic locations like a helicopter could be imagined to hover over a particular mountain or valley as if the Sun and the Moon were only a few miles high instead of 93 million (Sun) and 1/4 million (Moon) miles away. To the author the Sun and the Moon were attached to a rotating solid sky dome, just a few miles above his head.

(Josh 10:12-13 NRSV) On the day when the LORD gave the Amorites over to the Israelites, Joshua spoke to the LORD; and he said in the sight of Israel, "Sun, stand still at Gibeon, and Moon, in the valley of Aijalon."

And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, until the nation took vengeance on their enemies. Is this not written in the Book of Jashar? The sun stopped in midheaven, and did not hurry to set for about a whole day.

>>>>>Jesus probably saw the universe the same way everyone else did in his day

Here it is indicated that Jesus himself pictured the stars as objects that could fall to the earth which would seem reasonable if he pictured the stars as little lights attached to a solid sky dome just a few miles up like everyone else in his day.

Instead, apparently unknown to Jesus, stars are objects typically millions of times larger than the earth and unimaginably distant.

(Mark 13:24-25 NRSV) "But in those days, after that suffering, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#15 Oct 30, 2013
spirit warrior wrote:
The problem is that you all think the Bible should either be 100% right or it is 100% wrong. The Bible was written over 2500 years ago. It has not been re-written because the people that knew or had the experiences have all passed.
I challenge any of you people to go get a 150 year old science book and see how many mistakes are in it. It will be full of mistakes and is only 150 years old. The difference is that the science books have been re-written whereas the Bible has not.
One would reason to think that since science books are corrected in short periods of years that the Bible, if not thought of as truth, would have been re-written or changed over the multi-hundreds of years that it took to write it.
If people are going to quote it as fact then it better be factual. So far, Genesis at least is not holding up.

Why would you say something so utterly stupid that people want the Bible to be 100% wrong?

When you say errors in the science book, what do you mean? Are you talking about typos, erroneous information, lack of information compared to current understanding. No mention of computers, cars, refrigerators or like in the Bible. I guess you don't use them. No that isn't true.

You don't know much and you are so readily supporting that here.

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#16 Oct 30, 2013
spirit warrior wrote:
The problem is that you all think the Bible should either be 100% right or it is 100% wrong. The Bible was written over 2500 years ago. It has not been re-written because the people that knew or had the experiences have all passed.
I challenge any of you people to go get a 150 year old science book and see how many mistakes are in it. It will be full of mistakes and is only 150 years old. The difference is that the science books have been re-written whereas the Bible has not.
One would reason to think that since science books are corrected in short periods of years that the Bible, if not thought of as truth, would have been re-written or changed over the multi-hundreds of years that it took to write it.
I challenge you to get up off your lazy ass and get an education.

“It is often that a ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

person's mouth broke his nose.

#17 Oct 30, 2013
Just because there is no one talking on other threads so I will comment here.

Not one creationists has responded/commented to this thread minus the starter of the thread but yet you evotards flock to it like a fat kid to cake. That alone says enough. LOL

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#18 Oct 30, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Just because there is no one talking on other threads so I will comment here.
Not one creationists has responded/commented to this thread minus the starter of the thread but yet you evotards flock to it like a fat kid to cake. That alone says enough. LOL
Don't be so hard on yourself. We like cake too.

The spirit warrior is obviously a complete and utter moron. No one responding to her takes her seriously. Probably the product of cousins fisting. I can't imagine someone be so stupid to even bothering to register if this was all they were going to post.

You are right, though. Besides Quantum Bob and myself there isn't anyone of interest posting in the last hour.

I bet you can't refrain responding to this post with your latest childish response. I dare you gutless.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#19 Oct 31, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Just because there is no one talking on other threads so I will comment here.
Not one creationists has responded/commented to this thread minus the starter of the thread but yet you evotards flock to it like a fat kid to cake. That alone says enough. LOL
So what? It's a thread in the evolution forum. We inhabit the evolution forum. If someone talks tripe in the evolution forum it's likely someone will come along and correct them.
amousynon

Billings, MT

#20 Oct 31, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Just because there is no one talking on other threads so I will comment here.
Not one creationists has responded/commented to this thread minus the starter of the thread but yet you evotards flock to it like a fat kid to cake. That alone says enough. LOL
Ad hominem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 29 min Blitzking 173,998
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 9 hr Dogen 143,948
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) Thu Igor Trip 178,702
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) Wed macumazahn 1,248
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Wed macumazahn 20,900
News Pastafarians rejoice! Deep sea creature floatin... Wed karl44 1
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys (Sep '14) Wed dollarsbill 14
More from around the web