Creationists Urge Texas Ed Board to '...

Creationists Urge Texas Ed Board to 'Strike the Final Blow to the...

There are 292 comments on the Dallas Observer story from Sep 18, 2013, titled Creationists Urge Texas Ed Board to 'Strike the Final Blow to the.... In it, Dallas Observer reports that:

Don McLeroy, a Bryan dentist and former Texas State Board of Education Chairman who made a star turn as the anti-science Sunday school teacher in last year's "The Revisionaries" , was unseated from the board in the 2010 Republican primary.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dallas Observer.

First Prev
of 15
Next Last

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#1 Sep 19, 2013
Just another Texas fundie "anti-science, that Darwin sucks, peddle our fervent religious dogma to other people's kids in biology class" freak show.

Let's demand equal participation and representation in which subjects are to be taught in their Sunday school classes and see how well they like that!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#2 Sep 19, 2013
Let parents decide what to teach their children, not Washington bureaucrats.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#3 Sep 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
You have that option. You always have. Private school or home school.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#4 Sep 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
And they can.

If they want to have someone teach their kids to be stupid they are free to homeschool them, send them to private schools, or take them out of classes they don't like for theological reasons.

But if you're suggesting that the Government pay for creationist BS to be taught in classes, I'm afraid that's not only monumentally stupid, but also illegal.

Level 9

Location hidden

#5 Sep 19, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
And they can.
If they want to have someone teach their kids to be stupid they are free to homeschool them, send them to private schools, or take them out of classes they don't like for theological reasons.
But if you're suggesting that the Government pay for creationist BS to be taught in classes, I'm afraid that's not only monumentally stupid, but also illegal.
Maybe the creationist fundies just need a catchy slogan to sell their dumbed-down texts. They could start with: "Dark Ages II, Brought to You by Your Local Creationists!" Blood-letting, anyone...anyone?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6 Sep 19, 2013
Chilli J wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the creationist fundies just need a catchy slogan to sell their dumbed-down texts. They could start with: "Dark Ages II, Brought to You by Your Local Creationists!" Blood-letting, anyone...anyone?
Or they could just try the straight forward approach like Don McElroy and say "Support the Bible".

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion/scien... #

Oops!

Level 9

Location hidden

#7 Sep 19, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Or they could just try the straight forward approach like Don McElroy and say "Support the Bible".
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion/scien... #
Oops!
Sadly, Texas became a "national embarassment" years ago, for a number of reasons. They're just reminding us that they are one, insisting that the "special" fundie language must be added to their textbooks. I respect the straight forward approach more than fundies covertly pushing ID on public school kids. However, why should I support the Bible, when it fails to support itself?

“I'm out hunting”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#8 Sep 20, 2013
The religious right wants to push their bullshyt as science.
Blahblahblahblhb lah

Hayward, CA

#9 Nov 4, 2013
“The study of theology, as it stands in Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on nothing; it proceeds by no authorities; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing and admits of no conclusion.”~ Thomas Paine,“The Age of Reason”

Paine is known for his writings:“Common Sense”,“American Crisis”,“The Rights of Man”,“Agrarian Justice”, and “Age of Reason”. He served under George Washington in the Continental Army at Valley Forge.
Oh you are so smart

Miami, FL

#10 Nov 5, 2013
No wonder Texas is way behind other states, not to mention the world in science. Let's screw it up even more and let the creationists take over. Yeah that should work.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#12 Nov 5, 2013
MikeF wrote:
You have that option. You always have. Private school or home school.
School choice, let taxpayers subsidize home and private schools to compete with public schools. That way, we can get rid of union teachers that can't teach.

Level 9

Location hidden

#13 Nov 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>School choice, let taxpayers subsidize home and private schools to compete with public schools. That way, we can get rid of union teachers that can't teach.
If you actually believe the average parental unit could home school their way out of a large, wet paper bag, you have my sympathy! I'd encourage fundies to teach their kids what they want to at home, but don't expect me to support them with my taxes. Send them to public school, or dig into your pockets to pay for their educational "special needs."

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#14 Nov 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>School choice, let taxpayers subsidize home and private schools to compete with public schools.
So you figure taking money away from public schools is the best way to improve them?

In Florida, they started a lottery to help fund schools. As soon as the money started rolling in, the legislature started to reduce the traditional funding. That was a big help.
Brian_G wrote:
That way, we can get rid of union teachers that can't teach.
The schools are controlled by the government. If there is a failure to remove *government* workers, it is a failure of government.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#15 Nov 5, 2013
Chilli J wrote:
<quoted text>
If you actually believe the average parental unit could home school their way out of a large, wet paper bag, you have my sympathy! I'd encourage fundies to teach their kids what they want to at home, but don't expect me to support them with my taxes. Send them to public school, or dig into your pockets to pay for their educational "special needs."
Agreed.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#16 Nov 5, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
So you figure taking money away from public schools is the best way to improve them?
In Florida, they started a lottery to help fund schools. As soon as the money started rolling in, the legislature started to reduce the traditional funding. That was a big help.
<quoted text>
The schools are controlled by the government. If there is a failure to remove *government* workers, it is a failure of government.
I am not totally adverse to opening up public education to some sort of competition. It would not work very well in the sort of area where I grew up, farming communities cannot support several different school systems. But back to competing for students. If transportation was available and not too much of a burden so that students could go to any school in a city it would be interesting to see what would happen if the money followed the students. The one problem I see is that too many parents put to much of an emphasis on religion and not what their children learn in schools.

Still, if schools could be graded by the change in the amount that the children learned, and parents were given a choice where reasonable I would not have too much trouble with that.

Now on the lottery issue. In my state they said it would be for public education too. Of course they lied somewhat when they made that claim. The state Lotto profits go into the general fund. The general fund is everything EXCEPT for road building and maintenance. So education is over half of that. Lotto is just another tax in my state. I very very very rarely play it. Right now I will play Powerball once a year. I will buy one ticket and declare that I am paying my "idiot tax". I get my one or two dollars worth of fantasy out of that purchase and am set for a long time.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#17 Nov 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not totally adverse to opening up public education to some sort of competition. It would not work very well in the sort of area where I grew up, farming communities cannot support several different school systems. But back to competing for students. If transportation was available and not too much of a burden so that students could go to any school in a city it would be interesting to see what would happen if the money followed the students. The one problem I see is that too many parents put to much of an emphasis on religion and not what their children learn in schools.
I don't have a problem with some competition. We have about 250 schools in my district plus about 50 more charter schools. So there is competition.

Interestingly enough, we're still expected to support them. If they have a problem, the district people go out and fix it. Seems fair, huh?

We have tried the "any school" idea with mixed results. Newer schools were packed and older ones go ghost town. And the parents complained when we wouldn't bus their kids across town to the school of their choice.
Subduction Zone wrote:
Still, if schools could be graded by the change in the amount that the children learned, and parents were given a choice where reasonable I would not have too much trouble with that.
If the grading was equal among the schools, yes.
Subduction Zone wrote:
Now on the lottery issue. In my state they said it would be for public education too. Of course they lied somewhat when they made that claim. The state Lotto profits go into the general fund. The general fund is everything EXCEPT for road building and maintenance. So education is over half of that. Lotto is just another tax in my state. I very very very rarely play it. Right now I will play Powerball once a year. I will buy one ticket and declare that I am paying my "idiot tax". I get my one or two dollars worth of fantasy out of that purchase and am set for a long time.
Fool me once...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#18 Nov 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>School choice, let taxpayers subsidize home and private schools to compete with public schools. That way, we can get rid of union teachers that can't teach.
... by replacing them with plenty of creationist homeschool teachers who can't teach.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#19 Nov 5, 2013
On the lottery issue. I know that I am going to lose when waste my dollar on lottery. I probably lose more change each year than I spend on the lottery. For me it is all about the fantasy and you can't have that without the ticket. So my dollar contributes a few cents to the states coffers and gives me some cheap entertainment.

What I don't understand are people that play the scratch cards. Yes, you have a much higher chance of "winning". There are quite a few small prizes given out. But not a big enough prize to make a difference in anyone's life. There is no fantasy and all you can do is to lose.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#20 Nov 5, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
... by replacing them with plenty of creationist homeschool teachers who can't teach.
Yes, teaching at home can be a problem. One of my brothers is unfortunately a Seventh Day Adventist. And he is a public school teacher too. A few years ago his son was having trouble with math and I tutored him from a C average to an A. He was not being taught the correct way to attack a problem.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#21 Nov 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, teaching at home can be a problem. One of my brothers is unfortunately a Seventh Day Adventist. And he is a public school teacher too. A few years ago his son was having trouble with math and I tutored him from a C average to an A. He was not being taught the correct way to attack a problem.
Your brother is Shoobee?

:-O

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min MikeF 164,351
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 26 min MikeF 19,067
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 5 hr SoE 178,617
How can we prove God exists, or does not? 7 hr GTID62 86
Poll Do you believe the universe is granular? (Aug '11) 8 hr cpshrivastava 31
has science finally debunked the 'god' myth? 9 hr Zog Has-fallen 11
News British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... (Jul '14) 12 hr goonsquad 162
More from around the web