Stephen King: Universe 'Suggests Inte...

Stephen King: Universe 'Suggests Intelligent Design'

There are 455 comments on the Breitbart.com story from May 30, 2013, titled Stephen King: Universe 'Suggests Intelligent Design'. In it, Breitbart.com reports that:

Novelist Stephen King went on National Public Radio, of all places, and spoke openly about God and how he believed everything about the universe suggests it is a product of intelligent design.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Breitbart.com.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#23 Jun 4, 2013
The Dude wrote:
Whoops, misquote. That last quote was supposed to read: Spike.
You have been mislead.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#24 Jun 4, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You have been mislead.
No, I had been mistyping. My bad.

:-/
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#25 Jun 4, 2013
Spike wrote:
<quoted text>Caught her on the park bench this one time, making out with a Chaos Demon. Ever see a Chaos Demon? All slime and antlers - they're disgusting!
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2928908800/ch0073...

Location hidden

#26 Jun 4, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I had been mistyping. My bad.
:-/
Since you confessed I will defer your lashing to a later time.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#27 Jun 4, 2013
Never put off till tomorrow what can be done tonight, I say!

(Dude closes curtains and plays da muzak)

Location hidden

#28 Jun 4, 2013
The Dude wrote:
Never put off till tomorrow what can be done tonight, I say!
(Dude closes curtains and plays da muzak)
You must not tempt a perturbed kitteh.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#29 Jun 5, 2013
Stephen King's books suggest intelligent design, as when you know he is setting up a scenario rather too transparently. Intelligent Design is how we know his stories aren't real, and lately not even worth reading. Reality, lacking intelligent design, is far more interesting...
Johnhenno

Eagle Vale, Australia

#30 Jun 5, 2013
No evidence for intelligence or design in the universe, they asset. All of science operates on the principle that the universe we live in is both rational and intelligible. No scientist I know operates on the notion that they live in a non-intelligent irrational universe
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#31 Jun 5, 2013
I'm not sure you understand what you're saying John. Few scientists in the world accept ID, and certainly none operate under any known "scientific ID" hypothesis. There is a difference between their religious beliefs and scientific stances.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#32 Jun 5, 2013
Johnhenno wrote:
No evidence for intelligence or design in the universe, they asset. All of science operates on the principle that the universe we live in is both rational and intelligible. No scientist I know operates on the notion that they live in a non-intelligent irrational universe
The weakness in this argument is that if the universe behaved unintelligibly or irrationally, that would not be evidence for or against God either.

So if its "God" no matter what reality looks like, your argument is empty.

And, you seem to be confusing intelligible - that which is capable of being understood by a rational mind - with intelligent, meaning that which does the comprehending.

If the universe is rational and intelligible, it simply shows that physical laws show consistency over time. We do not know why.

Location hidden

#33 Jun 5, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
Stephen King's books suggest intelligent design, as when you know he is setting up a scenario rather too transparently. Intelligent Design is how we know his stories aren't real, and lately not even worth reading. Reality, lacking intelligent design, is far more interesting...
I think he was just trying to entertain and make a living with his writing. I've never seen him *push* religion in his stories. King knows that even agnostics and atheists appear to be fascinated with the supernatural. The Harry Potter books and Terry Pratchett's witch stories certainly have a large atheist fan base. Go figure the rationality of *that*. King wasn't "setting up" anything anymore than H.P. Lovecraft (who was agnostic, btw) was with his terror tales.

Location hidden

#34 Jun 5, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The weakness in this argument is that if the universe behaved unintelligibly or irrationally, that would not be evidence for or against God either.
So if its "God" no matter what reality looks like, your argument is empty.
And, you seem to be confusing intelligible - that which is capable of being understood by a rational mind - with intelligent, meaning that which does the comprehending.
If the universe is rational and intelligible, it simply shows that physical laws show consistency over time. We do not know why.
Not necessarily, many times the gods behave in ways that seem quite irrational to humans; the universe, OTOH,...

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unreasonable... ;

...behaves quite logically.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#35 Jun 5, 2013
King has been joined on the
Throne of Terror.

Level 1

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#36 Jun 5, 2013
such 'masonic' way of thinking is expected, nothing unusual about such masonic statement after all,word like 'architech of the universe',light aka. knowledge bearer and bla bla bla...

:-)
xianity is EVIL

Bridgetown, Canada

#37 Jun 5, 2013
so universe seems Inteligently designed,so what,maybe the Universe is a living entity,
no need for god..
if universe needed Inteligent designer,wouldnt the Designer need even more inteligent Creator,,,etc ad infinitum

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#38 Jun 5, 2013
He Must have hit bottom..NO Inspiration for his NEXT HORROR THRILLER...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#39 Jun 5, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
He Must have hit bottom..NO Inspiration for his NEXT HORROR THRILLER...
Well, personally I wish him all the best in his writing and certainly he can have any opinion about religion he sees fit.
Still, it wouldn't surprise me if this is press gimmick for a new book or residual brain damage from his car accident.
Cujo

Leask, Canada

#40 Jun 5, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>He didn't claim to BE an authority, asshat.
Someone thought it was important enough to occupy a topic, so I am here to tell everyone it doesn't matter what a fiction writer thinks. Got it, numbnuts!
bohart

White Pine, TN

#41 Jun 5, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
so universe seems Inteligently designed,so what,maybe the Universe is a living entity,
no need for god..
if universe needed Inteligent designer,wouldnt the Designer need even more inteligent Creator,,,etc ad infinitum
"Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose"

Richard Dawkins,....The blind watchmaker.

This statement is in denial of the facts and the observational evidence, It's irrational denial, if it is complicated and appears to be designed , the evidence is pointing out that it was!
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#42 Jun 5, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
"Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose"
Richard Dawkins,....The blind watchmaker.
This statement is in denial of the facts and the observational evidence, It's irrational denial, if it is complicated and appears to be designed , the evidence is pointing out that it was!
Actually I disagree with both of you. Complexity is BAD evidence of design. Designers don't WANT things to be complex because the more complex, the harder it is to fix and the more things that can go wrong. But the funny part is that fundies point to things designed by humans then say that biology is SO complex that human designs can't even come close. This means that natural phenomena is NOTHING like design.

Therefore natural phenomena were designed...

As it happens though, IDC has no postulated mechanisms, no evidence nor testable hypothesis.

That doesn't mean life WASN'T designed. It just means the fundies have diddly squat.(shrug)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 hr Regolith Based Li... 93,406
Why the Big Bang is ALL WRONG. 14 hr Rose_NoHo 85
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 17 hr was auch immer 167,960
What's your religion? (Sep '17) 17 hr was auch immer 1,156
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 17 hr superwilly 6,056
List what Evolution Discoveries have helped SCI... 22 hr MIDutch 14
The Design of Time is Prophecy and is absolute ... 22 hr Rose_NoHo 27