Stephen King: Universe 'Suggests Inte...

Stephen King: Universe 'Suggests Intelligent Design'

There are 455 comments on the Breitbart.com story from May 30, 2013, titled Stephen King: Universe 'Suggests Intelligent Design'. In it, Breitbart.com reports that:

Novelist Stephen King went on National Public Radio, of all places, and spoke openly about God and how he believed everything about the universe suggests it is a product of intelligent design.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Breitbart.com.

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#324 Jun 12, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
Wow that is reassuring because we know all research is very important.
Then your position is that science is unimportant.

Stop using your computer.
downhill246 wrote:
"In a study created by scientists from Harvard University and the University of South Dakota, Vermillion, experimenters forced territorial male lizards
Your sources are sourceless.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#325 Jun 12, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Er.. falsifiability is the logical possibility that an assertion can be shown false by an observation or a physical experiment. That something is "falsifiable" does not mean it is false; rather, that if it is false, then this can be shown by observation or experiment. Abiogenesis is not falsifiable since a negative result may just mean to the researcher that the right conditions were not used. In essence negative results, you know batting .000 can go on forever and ever and ever...
Just because potential environmental conditions are numerous it does not invalidate the concept of falsifiability. You're just complaining that their research is valid.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#326 Jun 12, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Its statistically beyond impossible. Only you religion believes it.
You have been unable to demonstrate your statistics.

Plus you already know you are lying because you know that you don't have access to all the potential variables. And neither does anyone else does on this planet.

Keep lying Bo.
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual, faith based opinion, no science involved.
You can't help it. You're a fundie.(shrug)
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats it! the miracle of the puddle of goo!
Denton is a former creationist now an evil evolutionist, but his former opinions are still touted today by creo's as if they were still current. Does it not bother you that your brethren are engaged in such disingenuous behaviour?

Nah, of course not. Carry on with them lame jokes Bo. You ARE one.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#327 Jun 12, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
Abiogenesis is a myth of naturalism.
Your claim is baseless. And also betrays your opposition to it is non-scientific in nature.
downhill246 wrote:
Even if someone did explain a mechanism that could work
And we have,
downhill246 wrote:
it in no way confirms that it did work that way
Nor have we claimed otherwise.
downhill246 wrote:
because it remains research based on speculation.
However it is speculation based on evidence. That thing which you don't even have.
downhill246 wrote:
But of course no one has explained the origin of life to the satisfaction of other experts which is why they are all batting 000.
No, they are not batting zero. If they were they wouldn't have evidence, which they do. It's your boys who are batting zero because not only do you have zero evidence you have to lie about your opposition.

The opposition merely being - scientific research.
downhill246 wrote:
As the team mascot, you should realize you are backing a loser.
You already lost years ago.(shrug) Your only hope now is to destroy education, which is what you've already admitted your position is.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#328 Jun 12, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Bonzo, I notice that all of your "other experts" are contributors to Answers in Genesis and the Discovery Institute. Cherry pick much?
In short they are reality denying liars for Jesus. With no internal consistency to their position either, since AIG are YECers and the DI are OEC's, YEC's and UFO nuts.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#329 Jun 12, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
it supports God a helluva lot better than it does your, what was it?.....life originating warm pond!,...Ha,Ha,,Ha.
Since you have already had this claim deconstructed this can be added to your long list of lies.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#330 Jun 12, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your fascination with leprechauns? Do you see them often or what? Or are they something you want to kill like you say in your video that you are about to go off and you will kill someone and take them with you. Just curious.
Leprechauns are like God - non-falsifiable non-scientific concepts.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#331 Jun 12, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
This whole concept of building blocks being evidence for life is idiotic. Its like saying rock is evidence for a castle, or look!
Actually they are. If you notice, castles are made of hard substances ultimately derived from rocks.
bohart wrote:
theres hops growing in a field , obviously theres beer around here!
No, but if there's beer around here then it's quite likely they used the hops in the nearby field to make it. Unless there is evidence the beer was imported.
bohart wrote:
It is a wild extrapolation based on wishful thinking to prop up that which cannot stand on its own.
Nor do we claim it stands on its own. Abiogenesis is not a theory, it's a hypothesis. But it's testable and currently being researched. So like your analogies here we observe that chemistry creates life all over the planet, every single day. We hypothesize that chemistry could have created the first life when that was formed. Just like the rocks and the nearby hops there is a potential viable connection. You don't HAVE a scientific objection. You don't even have an education. Your ONLY objection is that you don't like that idea because it goes against what your mommy said - Goddidit with magic cuz the Bible iz troo cuz teh Bible sez so.

Your mommy was wrong.(shrug)

Sorry if you don't like it.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#332 Jun 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. People ask where the building blocks came from and we have an answer. You are using a strawman argument. You left out 90% of it. You could use the same argument if you believed that buildings were created by your God out of nothing and we believed that they were built by men. As the two of us drive past a lumber yard I point to that as evidence that supports my claim. Your exact claim could be used against my argument. Is it a valid argument there?
Don't use strawman arguments, they are a form of lying.
But then he wouldn't have an argument.

:-(

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#333 Jun 12, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your fascination with leprechauns? Do you see them often or what? Or are they something you want to kill like you say in your video that you are about to go off and you will kill someone and take them with you. Just curious.
No fascination, there is just as much evidence for leprechauns as your god, thus, if you say one exists you must also agree the other does as well.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#334 Jun 12, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
He keeps them in his codpiece, digging for gold while crying, "They're magically delicious!"

“What's your story? Nevermind.”

Level 2

Since: Apr 13

none of my business.

#335 Jun 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No fascination, there is just as much evidence for leprechauns as your god, thus, if you say one exists you must also agree the other does as well.
Isn't it about time for you to make another whacked out video? Go play KittyCat and chase some mice. LMAO

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#336 Jun 13, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
This whole concept of building blocks being evidence for life is idiotic. Its like saying rock is evidence for a castle, or look! theres hops growing in a field , obviously theres beer around here! It is a wild extrapolation based on wishful thinking to prop up that which cannot stand on its own.
I didn't say building blocks were evidence for life.

I said, the fact that complex building blocks could be generated naturally, is good news for abiogenesis. It means that the probabilities involved in bringing together the first protocell are increased dramatically, because a lot of the complex work is already done demonstrably by natural processes.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#337 Jun 13, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis by chemical means without the aid of a designer anywhere along the line is the common definition of scientific abiogenesis. Hedging your bet is a cop out.
As far as being falsifiable, researchers can offer origin of life hypotheses for the next one hundred thousand years without success and just claim that negative results merely means the right set of controls and/or ingredients weren't used.
"Research on the origin of life seems to be unique in that the conclusion has already been authoritatively accepted . What remains to be done is to find the scenarios which describe the detailed mechanisms and processes by which this happened. One must conclude that, contrary to the established and current wisdom a scenario describing the genesis of life on earth by chance and natural causes which can be accepted on the basis of fact and not faith has not yet been written."
Yockey, 1977. A calculation of the probability of spontaneous biogenesis by information theory, Journal of Theoretical Biology 67:377398, quotes from pp. 379, 396.
You are correct in that no failed hypothesis of a particular route to life can falsify the idea of natural abiogenesis. Thus abiogenesis is not a hypothesis, its just an idea. So be it.

The conclusion is not authoritatively accepted, except by the dogmatic. Perhaps the massive success in describing the development of the universe (cosmology) and the development of life once in place (evolution), has spurred scientists on...

But the reality is, if no viable pathway can be discovered after several more decades of trying, perhaps some alternative "Goddidit" scenario might be invoked. In the meantime, the research is in its infancy, there is loads to be looked at, and you are in no position to say dogmatically that it will not produce results. Its already producing promising results.

My money is on their eventual success.

Level 2

none of my business.

#338 Jun 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me a bible/book dedicated to leprechauns. Show me where any book or people say that a leprechauns created Earth or Man. Show me anything about leprechauns where anyone thinks they are really real. Show me anything but fiction about leprechauns.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#339 Jun 13, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me a bible/book dedicated to leprechauns. Show me where any book or people say that a leprechauns created Earth or Man. Show me anything about leprechauns where anyone thinks they are really real. Show me anything but fiction about leprechauns.
There are thousands of books dedicated to just leprechauns. Just because it's in a book, doesn't make it fact, where is the evidence supporting your book? So far there us just as much evidence supporting the belief in leprechauns as your god.

Level 2

none of my business.

#340 Jun 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
There are thousands of books dedicated to just leprechauns. Just because it's in a book, doesn't make it fact, where is the evidence supporting your book? So far there us just as much evidence supporting the belief in leprechauns as your god.
Of course I knew you would know of thousands of books dedicated to leprechauns. Do they rank up with your imaginary friends? I rest my case. LMAO

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#341 Jun 13, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I knew you would know of thousands of books dedicated to leprechauns. Do they rank up with your imaginary friends? I rest my case. LMAO
You're the one with an imaginary friend, unlike you, I grew out of mine when I grew up. You just elevated your imaginary friend to delusion, and call it a god.

Level 2

none of my business.

#342 Jun 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one with an imaginary friend, unlike you, I grew out of mine when I grew up. You just elevated your imaginary friend to delusion, and call it a god.
Did your experimental drugs that you have been on teach your that or your therapist?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#343 Jun 13, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
Did your experimental drugs that you have been on teach your that or your therapist?
It was one drug, and it was not technically experimental, just not thoroughly tested. There was a huge lawsuit about it, and it was given to me because I refused to call my imaginary friend a god, even at a young age I knew it was all just myth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 15 min dollarsbill 85,395
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 27 min dollarsbill 4,737
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 47 min Subduction Zone 165,334
What's your religion? 6 hr Paul Porter1 5
Experiment In Evolution, Genetic Algorithms and... 10 hr was auch immer 8
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 13 hr Dogen 33,127
God hates Tennessee Sun Rev Jackson 2
More from around the web